gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-07-04, 01:41
byndhrzn

Default PP releasing Yume Miru Kusuri

Finally a decent game from PP (imho). This probably means they'll be releasing those Pulltop titles they were hinting at aswell (bring on Yunohana).

Quote:
Peter Payne, owner of Peach Princess, revealed their latest bisohoujo-game title, Ruf-soft's Yume Miru Kusuri (literally translates to Dream See Drug), to AMN Anime during our July 2, 2006 interview.
Romeo Tanaka of Cross+Channel fame was supervising production of the game, or at least scriptwriting from what I understand.

OHP http://www.ruf-soft.net/yume/yume.html demo should be there somwhere
erogescape http://erogamescape.ddo.jp/~ap2/ero/....php?game=6298

news taken from here http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/ult...;f=14;t=002461
Old 2006-07-04, 01:51
Addicted

ktkr!
Here's to seeing more decent titles being brought over.
Old 2006-07-04, 02:18
Addicted

Oooh, just what I wanted! Drug x Bullying x Interpersonal Relationship!
Old 2006-07-04, 09:41
rodan

Dream See Drug....

LSD? D:
Old 2006-07-05, 13:20

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Old 2006-07-05, 15:06
byndhrzn

Well it's official, translated as Drug That Makes You Dream
http://www.peachprincess.com/Merchan...gory_Code=BGAL

And according to PP interview with AMN unfortunately looks like Pulltop titles like Yunohana won't be localized after all, problems with some of the licence owners or something like that.
Old 2006-07-05, 17:16
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Yakui's long-lost sister!
Old 2007-03-08, 19:16

Greetings, Shingo of Heisei Democracy (and newly conscripted J-List games goon) here. Apologies in advance for the coarseness of my first post boiling down to little more than a shameless plug, but seeing a thread was already made I couldn't resist...

I've been put in charge of the bulk of post-production work on Yume Miru Kusuri, and I can confirm that it is proceeding well. All parts (translation, interface, packaging, etc.) are firmly in beta and barring hell or high water we're looking at a release by early summer.

Aside from an obvious vested interest in the success of the game, I'm posting here for two reasons: one, I think it's rather more oriented toward the aesthetic sensibilities of posters here than some of the other PP / JAST USA / G-Collections titles, and two, after playing through it myself I've gotten so excited about the darn thing that I just can't shut up. Nobody around the office wants to hear me rant about suddenly understanding Tanaka Romeo's cultish fandom, for some reason...

Anyway, this is one of the best-written games I've ever played (I play mostly eroge (nukige, should I say), so my perspective is admittedly skewed), but... ok, I'll shut up here before this starts reading too much like advertising copy.

I'm here to answer questions about the game, if anyone is curious. I can provide a synopsis, character profiles, etc, and general commentary, though no spoilers and no specific release information (yet).

My personal goal is to use the success of Yume Miru (should it do well) to help pave the way toward the acquisition of games that have recieved greater critical acclaim within Japan. I don't know how realistic this proposition is, but a fellow can dream... we're sitting on another Romeo-related title right now and are currently in talks with Will over some of their affiliate properties, so I'm optimistic that we'll have more titles of VisualNews interest to announce in the coming months.

tl;dr: If you have any questions about Yume Miru Kusuri, I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited by Shingo; 2007-03-08 at 19:19.
Old 2007-03-08, 19:36
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

For those who are too lazy to research, heres a brief synopsis of the game from PP's website:

I am just an average student, living an average life. I study, I work my part-time job, and get through the day just like everyone else, trying not to be beaten down by the pressures of modern Japan. Then suddenly, the winds of change blow into my life, when I encounter three girls who reshape me forever. Three girls who are most definitely not living a normal life like everyone else in Japan, but who seem to float above society, strangely unaffected by it. Instinctively I know I should avoid getting involved with them, and yet before I know it, my destiny is bound with theirs. Where will it all lead?

With art from the accomplished pen of Haimura Kiyotaka and story by veteran scenario writer Tanaka Romeo, the bittersweet tale of three heroines unfolds. Will you choose to defend Aeka from becoming the victim of classroom aggression, help Mizuki with the burden of her work as student council president, or accompany the cat girl Nekoko on her quest for the mystical fairyland that only she can see? Their fate, and your own, lie in your hands.

YUME MIRU KUSURI :: A Drug That Makes You Dream is an interactive multi-scenario dating-sim game for adults that explores life, love and growing up in modern Japan. Loaded with teenage angst, confusion, frustration and wonder, and beautiful artwork that draws the player in, this is a game like no other!

More information can be found at PP's Yume Miru Kusuri webpage (slightly not worksafe).

Erogamescape average score for it right now is: 76
Old 2007-03-08, 19:40
Regular

hello shingo, just curious about the writing style/presentation of yume miru

i've always been more interested in visual novels that have a heavy emphasis on suspense (the higher the tension, the better..especially since i get bored easily), shock, and mystery when it comes to plot development..and having a surreal atmosphere certainly helps...could you summarize yume miru's plot in a way that is more informative than JASTUSA's synopsis

"I am just an average student, living an average life. I study, I work my part-time job, and get through the day just like everyone else, trying not to be beaten down by the pressures of modern Japan. Then suddenly, the winds of change blow into my life, when I encounter three girls who reshape me forever. Three girls who are most definitely not living a normal life like everyone else in Japan, but who seem to float above society, strangely unaffected by it. Instinctively I know I should avoid getting involved with them, and yet before I know it, my destiny is bound with theirs. Where will it all lead?"

no offense to whoever came up with that synopsis but something like that doesn't really draw enough attention to make me want to buy it

edit: the more bizarre, insane, mind-boggling, and unconventional the plot is, the more likely i am (and i know i'm not alone on this) to purchase it

edit2: being unconventional is the key...oh god..i crave it...takes more creativity to write than the standard fare ofcourse

edit3: just the "drug" part of it is already making me hope that at least some parts of it will be psychedelic

Last edited by ApathyEcstasy; 2007-03-08 at 20:11.
Old 2007-03-08, 19:58
Obsessive

Hello. I'm looking forward to play the game.

I have a question. While there was a commotion about editing of sex scene relating to minor (from appearance at least) in <strike>latest</strike> X-change title, didn't it become a problem in the case of Yume Miru Kusuri?

I don't care so much whether similar individual scene is remained or removed, but I'm curious what policy has been decided.

... and can I write about these circumstances in my Japanese language blog?

EDIT: not latest. It was X-change 3.

Last edited by Nanatuha; 2007-03-08 at 21:37.
Old 2007-03-08, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
hello shingo, just curious about the writing style/presentation of yume miru
Hi ApathyEcstasy, I'll try to tackle this one for you.

First off, the JAST USA synopsis was written (not by me) based only on the content of the official Japanese website, before anyone at PP had played through the game (I added the second paragraph more recently, but still before a full playthrough). I can now perhaps give a more accurate description of the game content:

Yume Miru Kusuri is a game that explores three primary themes (as the English subtitle of the Japanese version hints at): drug use, bullying, and nihilism. Along the way it travels to the limits of human cruelty, strength and weakness, escapism, love, and trust, and the possibility of salvation and finding purpose in the jaded reality of life in modern Japan.

Those are a lot of loaded words to throw out all at once, and aren't very meaningful without further explanation, which I can't really give without spoiling the plot. That said, I can try to address some of the specific points you'd like to see:

"Suspense" - there are moments of great suspense in the game, especially in Aeka's plot line. Characters are positioned in such a way that you know certain confrontations must be inevitable, or certain events must occur, but you don't know exactly when or how they will unfold. If you find yourself as taken with the characters as I did you'll certainly become concerned for their well-being. That said, there's not much suspense of the kind you'd find in slasher movies (or a Black Cyc game).

"A surreal/psychadelic atmosphere" - there is drug use in Yume Miru. Some of it is first-person (by the protagonist), resulting in a few very intense psychadelic moments. That said, the protagonist never views drug use as a good thing, nor does the game condone it in any way. There are surreal moments, but they are made beautiful by the otherwise heartbreaking reality that surrounds them. The game is exceptional not because it pushes the envelope in terms of sensory perception, but because it is so devastatingly human.

"The more bizarre, insane, mind-boggling, and unconventional the plot is, the more likely I am to purchase it" - I should state for the record that Yume Miru isn't a head trip of the sort you get from a good Studio 4C animated short, or the like. It's a game that goes to the extremes of human experience, looks over the edge, and ultimately returns to the real world stronger than before.

It's described on the official site as a "downer-kei seishun renai AVG", or "downer-type love story of youth", and that's pretty much what it is - the reviews at erogamescape seem to have trouble pinning down exactly what emotion best describes it, generally agreeing that it's not quite "melancholy", definitely "bittersweet", but not to the point of tragedy (though some of the "bad ends" will break your heart... at least they broke mine).

I have the feeling it might not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully that describes it a bit better without spoiling too much... let me know if you have any other questions, or anything more specific I could address for you.
Old 2007-03-08, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatuha View Post
While there was a commotion about editing of sex scene relating to minor (from appearance at least) in latest X-change title, didn't it become a problem in the case of Yume Miru Kusuri?
Hi Nanatuha, this is a good question. While I can't address the earlier case directly as I wasn't on the staff when the controversy arose, I can state unequivocally that neither the text nor the images in Yume Miru have been altered in any way from the original Japanese release (beyond freedom taken in the translation process to explain cultural and linguistic elements that might not be evident to a casual player).

It is company policy that all characters depicted engaging in sex acts are age 18 or above, and Yume Miru Kusuri is not an exception; that said, as with most Japanese games in the genre the characters aren't given specific ages or academic positions, so we've taken the liberty of supplying arbitrary ages for them.

This creates an obvious visual disjunct in the case of the younger-looking characters (Aya and Nekoko especially), but the game itself addresses this in a way that I found quite amusing... one of the things to look forward to in playing, I'd say.

You're certainly welcome to write this up on your Japanese blog! I've been reading it recently and would be interested in hearing your perspective. Let me know if you have any further questions, or would like further clarification.

Last edited by Shingo; 2007-03-08 at 21:48.
Old 2007-03-09, 01:21
Addicted

Shingo, I noticed your post about this game a week or so ago on HD; if it lives up to its promise it looks like it could be a turning point for Peach Princess and 18+ translated eroge in the US as a whole. No offense, but the majority of the US adult releases really don't have much meat to them and really help perpetuate the western conception of this genre as vapid hentai games. There are a few exceptions, of course, but none of them have struck me as anything terribly good. I'm really looking forward to Yume Miru Kusuri, though.

Just one question, though: I'm not what you'd call squeamish, but I do have no tolerance for gratuitious sex for the sake of it in this genre. Would you call the ero scenes in this game appropriate to the story, or are they over-the-top at all?
Old 2007-03-09, 01:22
Obsessive

Thank you, Shingo. That's a good news. I'm not original fundamentalist but don't prefer enigmatic edits without notice. I felt relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
This creates an obvious visual disjunct in the case of the younger-looking characters.
The culprit to be blamed is Japanese roli fanaticist who claims even girl in junior school uniform is over 18. >_>

Last edited by Nanatuha; 2007-03-09 at 02:28.