gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-04-16, 18:18
Regular

Post Anti-spam discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also, shitty spam verification is shitty. And annoying as fuck.
And better than 10,000 virus-infected spam posts.
Old 2008-04-16, 20:16
z_Z work sucks

Send a message via AIM to dovac

Quote:
http://g-seeker.net/game/a/air.html
Suggest something better and we'll put it up

woo~ blog
Old 2008-04-16, 20:52
Obsessive

Quote:
Register? -_-
Old 2008-04-16, 22:15

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

The system currently in place is about as unintrusive as we could make it. It requires you to visit the main site once to remember a keyword and will allow you to post as many posts as you want. Personally, this is a lot less annoying than having captchas, which are a losing battle and can get downright cryptic.

The guest posting here is provided as a convenience to people who want to put in a quick post. If you're going to be posting regularly, it's recommended to register for an account, but we're not going to make it mandatory.
Old 2008-04-17, 02:19
Regular

As long as we don't have those multi-thread spambot rampages like we had over at the old Gemot, then I'm all for it...
Old 2008-04-17, 04:45
kouryuu

<_< Yea I'll say that too, it's not hard to register, and if the alternative is those spam raids we just got away from...Then sorry unregistered, I prefer to not have spam in my forums.
Old 2008-04-17, 18:11
Unregistered

Screw you, I don't want to visit novelnews, you force me to. That's my issue with the system.
The system is still annoying. If you people can't be arsed to look for a better way to get rid of spam, well, that's fine. But don't trash me when I call the current way shit.
Old 2008-04-17, 19:26
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

Quote:
Screw you, I don't want to visit novelnews, you force me to. That's my issue with the system.
The system is still annoying. If you people can't be arsed to look for a better way to get rid of spam, well, that's fine. But don't trash me when I call the current way shit.
Then either register, suggest something better, or leave. It's pretty simple.
Old 2008-04-18, 01:35
Unregistered

You know what, I wrote a three page rant about you being a retard, Star (with several allusions to Akagi for comedy's sake), explaining several points about unregistered posting and the history of the gemot and whatnot, but I figured I don't really give a shit. So I thought this would be better:
Fuck you. I'm leaving then.
Old 2008-04-18, 02:50
Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
You know what, I wrote a three page rant about you being a retard, Star (with several allusions to Akagi for comedy's sake), explaining several points about unregistered posting and the history of the gemot and whatnot, but I figured I don't really give a shit. So I thought this would be better:
By presenting those manners it won't be a loss at all.
Not to mention the horrible burden of filling in one simple word in a sentence that is presented on a page you won't have to visit again...and you call others retarded?
Read --> think--> write --> preview --> post.
Old 2008-04-18, 04:46
Asceai (unregged)

This is Asceai, trying out this unregistered posting thing you seem to hate so much.

Quote:
It took me about half a second to guess (I didn't even have to visit the main site) the code word to enter in there. I don't know if it's randomised or not (I guess I'll find out some other time), but it was not a significant investment in my time.

To be honest, though, a captcha would also be fine. They don't have to be super-obfuscated or even cryptic at all. Just __unique__. For another (relatively popular) forum that I used to moderate, we had a spam problem with the forum system's built in captcha (although it was admittedly quite poor, even though it was only used for registration) being cracked by spammers far too easily and far too often. I wrote my own captcha, which wasn't very fancy at all (a grade schooler could probably write a script to crack it). Here's an example of it:

Not a difficult captcha to crack at all.. however, because it was unique (captcha generators need to be individually targeted, for the most part) there was never another spammer.

It's the folks like the big, free email providers that need the difficult captchas, because they get individually targeted. Community forums don't need to worry.
Old 2008-04-18, 05:16
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

Quote:
No loss there :D If you didn't "give a shit," then you wouldn't have written this "three page rant" in the first place, or even bothered to post a reply at all. Your complete rudeness is something we don't need in this community.
Old 2008-04-18, 11:42
Local

Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman

The above is correct.

Mr. Unregistered, your post contradicts itself, and your attitude needs serious work. And I doubt you're leaving, you're Mr. Unregistered, as you being unregistered, it would be almost impossible for us "normies" to determine one of you from the other because it's easy to change the conveyed emotion of your character (which fails) over the internet.
Old 2008-04-18, 14:23
Obsessive

still, just asking one word is weak, if I was author of bots, I would look up for it and add it to the code... captcha is actually good thing....
Old 2008-04-18, 15:28
Roto

That's only a problem if someone is writing bots to target the Gemot directly, which probably isn't worth anyone's effort.

I find CAPTCHAs to be a huge pain. The ones that are effective against machine reading are often difficult to read. (I'm most annoyed when I run across a forum that requires solving a CAPTCHA for every search query, and get it wrong several times because it's so hard to read.)