gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-01-28, 22:24
Regular

Send a message via MSN to ChronoEX
Default Any Chinese Speakers Out There?

Out of curiosity, are there any Chinese speakers out there, or am I the only one? The reason I'm asking this is because a lot of Chinese translation patches for visual novels have been released in the past, and I can help dig through news on latest releases and post a list of translated or commercially released games, so anybody who can read Chinese can get the best out of both the English and Chinese side of things when it comes to visual novels (for example, Tomoyo After is fully translated in Chinese while, from what I've heard, no one is working on an English patch for it yet. Yet, Tsukihime is fully translated in English while there's only it's only partially translated in Chinese before I believe it was dropped)

I'm really not expecting much responses (since the category of a Chinese-American who's fluent in Chinese and is interested in visual novels who doesn't already know about the online Chinese community is a REALLY small one), but I'm just presenting this as an alternative to anyone who's interested (PM me or post a reply)

Otherwise, feel free to lock this thread if it's inappropriate

Last edited by ChronoEX; 2008-01-28 at 23:43.
Old 2008-01-28, 23:53
Regular

I'm Chinese, but my reading is not that great, thus I can't really immerse myself in the Chinese translation side of things.
Old 2008-01-29, 01:10
Regular

heh, playing Chinese games is also a great way to improve on your reading skills ;)
Old 2008-01-29, 01:25
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to hkuclion

Here's a Chinese who interests more in Programming rather than in Translating...
Old 2008-01-29, 02:06

First post here, I've been lurking around this place for quite some time now.

I have spent half of my life in Hong Kong and the other half in New Zealand, so I can read both Chinese (traditional) and English equally well. But I suck at translation though.

I don't usually look for visual novel news in Chinese though since I don't know how to type in Chinese so it's very inconvenient for me to search things up or post messages in Chinese message forums. Because of that, I was a year late in finding out games like Saya no Uta and Utawarerumono have already been fully translated.
Old 2008-01-29, 03:02
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p997tt View Post
First post here, I've been lurking around this place for quite some time now.

I have spent half of my life in Hong Kong and the other half in New Zealand, so I can read both Chinese (traditional) and English equally well. But I suck at translation though.

I don't usually look for visual novel news in Chinese though since I don't know how to type in Chinese so it's very inconvenient for me to search things up or post messages in Chinese message forums. Because of that, I was a year late in finding out games like Saya no Uta and Utawarerumono have already been fully translated.
I'm gonna assume you're Cantonese and thus don't use the Microsoft IME which comes with Windows and utilises 漢語拼音. Luckily for me, I learnt 普通話/國語/華語 via 拼音 so it's a bit easier for me. I can read a fair bit more of simplified text than compared with traditional but I am getting used to traditional a lot more these days too, but since I don't speak 普通話 or 廣東話 and speak 潮州話, I'm still learning so I'm far from fluent.
Old 2008-01-29, 03:42
Obsessive

I have some skill in Chinese.

But I'd much rather learn Japanese than read Chinese.
Kunisaki Yukito is a flooging pervert. He makes a mother finger her daughter to get off his sick kicks, have two sisters paizuri his cock while slobbering all over it, and he raped another in the rain. From Behind. I bet he assreamed the ghostly loli too.
Old 2008-01-29, 06:42
Local

Send a message via AIM to The One Freeman Send a message via Yahoo to The One Freeman

If it matters, I can't speak anything but English. I can deceipher some German though.
Old 2008-01-29, 07:28
selkirk

I'd think that the English speaking community would have a disproportionately large number of ethnically Chinese translators compared to other nationalities, mainly because of the much easier time they have "learning" kanji.

I'm also guessing that most fan translators are likely students of Japanese, or were at some point in their lives, since there's little reason for someone perfectly fluent in Japanese to get involved in the fan translation scene... so there probably aren't many born, bred, and living in Japan fan translators around.

Half my life in the US, half in Hong Kong, with quite frequent switching around between the two. I wouldn't quite call myself fluent in Chinese, but I can usually bluff being a native speaker ^^;.
Old 2008-01-29, 08:21
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

There's no extreme need for fluency in both languages in order to be a translator. Sure it helps, but the most important part is fluency in the target language.

For a J->E translator, you're essentially going from J->abstract concepts->E in your head. Depending on your ability with J, the abstract concepts can be more (or less) accurate. The more fluent you are, more accurate you are.

But the most important part is the next leg. No matter how accurate your conception of the meaning is, if you cant put a sentence together that doesn't confuse the reader, if you can't command E enough that you can manage all the little subtle details and tones and unspoken negative and positive connotations in the words you're using, then you might as well give up.

If you watch native translators try to translate, often they don't think about it very hard, and it comes out approximate. They'll take more liberties on average with the text, because in their heads it carries roughly the same sort of meaning and feel and that's good enough. It's what they're used to doing on a day to day practical basis translating for friends and family on the fly, but it's not really enough for more literary work where every word they put down should be important.

Native speakers who do sit down and work at their craft are very tough to beat. Writing ability means a great deal.
Old 2008-01-29, 13:27
z_Z work sucks

Send a message via AIM to dovac

I can only listen and speak it somewhat, can't read it at all.

woo~ blog
Old 2008-01-29, 14:16
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
I'm gonna assume you're Cantonese and thus don't use the Microsoft IME which comes with Windows and utilises 漢語拼音. Luckily for me, I learnt 普通話/國語/華語 via 拼音 so it's a bit easier for me. I can read a fair bit more of simplified text than compared with traditional but I am getting used to traditional a lot more these days too, but since I don't speak 普通話 or 廣東話 and speak 潮州話, I'm still learning so I'm far from fluent.
Yeah I am Cantonese but I know absolutely nothing about typing Chinese with 拼音 or anything else. Most of the time I usually go to Babelfish, type what I want to find in English then translate the words into Chinese and copy/paste the words into google. Doesn't work all the time as these online translators are kind of useless sometimes.

A couple of my friends are very fast at typing Chinese with 拼音 though (as fast as typing in English). I need to ask them for some lessons when they're free later.

btw, I might as well ask this here...Does anyone know when is KeyFC going to release the next Clannad translation patch? It has been more than one year since they released their last patch and I really don't want to start the game until everything is translated. (at this stage I really wonder whether the English or Chinese patch will be finished first)

I remember reading on their forums a couple of months ago that they are still working on it, but then I'm not sure if I was reading things right as I am not that good at reading simplified Chinese which is what their forums use.
Old 2008-01-29, 14:17

Oh sorry forgot to login. That was me posting the above message. ^
Old 2008-01-29, 14:54
Regular

regarding Clannad, I am pretty sure it is fully translated now, since the post about installation of the patch was dated 12-25-2007, so it's probably different than what you've seen a year ago.

Unfortunately, the only way they've made it available for download is through emule, and...I can upload the translation patches somewhere else for download if you want me too (so people won't have to mess with legality of it and all that). Also, the installation process is a little bit complicated, since the patches require a password that you can only get from their forum, and depending on how your computer system is set up, you might also need to make frequent uses of AppLocale to actually execute the patches. They have a step-by-step installation guide which I found to be very useful, but the usefulness of it really depends on how well you can read simplified Chinese (I've managed to get fairly good at it after playing through all of Memories Off 2nd in simplified Chinese, although when things start getting technical, I'll be completely lost on what's going on -_-;)

http://www.keyfc.net/bbs/showtopic-23060.aspx for specific details

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/39603916.html?fr=qrl Someone was helpful enough to post up a massive list of Chinese translated (commercial and fan) games with respective links to the translation groups. Chinese only, unfortunately. I can translate it, but it requires extensive research on Japanese titles of the game, so I really don't want to do it unless someone needs it.

Nice avatar of Tortinita from Symphonic Rain, by the way. One of the best visual novels I've ever played ^_^

Last edited by ChronoEX; 2008-01-29 at 15:16.
Old 2008-01-29, 15:42

Is the translation patch you have called KeyFC第4版中文补丁虹语 (146MB)? Because that's the newest one I could find there but this patch is already one year old. I think it is still missing Kotomi's route and After Story.

I actually think I will wait for the English patch since I want voice too and right now I really don't know if KeyFC will make a patch that works with the full voice version (unless they already stated that they will work on it on their forums and I missed it).

Thanks for the list of translated games, will be very useful later. :)

As for SR, I really liked it too, especially the music. I even learned Tortinita's song (Himitsu) on the piano and made a couple of music videos with the songs from the vocal album.

Edit: Oh I just realised Baidu has their own translation patch for Kotomi's route. So I guess only After Story is left now.

Last edited by p997tt; 2008-01-29 at 15:49.