gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2008-07-09, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
kirikiri requires Japanese locale only when script is itself written in S-JIS, when its on Unicode UTF16LE, it doesn't need it (of course, for Japanese characters, you need fonts).
i personally do not have a single word of japanese in my scripts. the .tjs files in the system folder, of course, contains japanese comments behind semi colons. so... do i remove every comment therein that is in japanese? (all my files are in already unicode 16-LE, according to convertz.)
Old 2008-07-09, 22:31
Regular

Yeah, it's not recommended to hand-edit the word-wrapped scripts... that's pretty tedious and error-prone. I just use a little shell script that processes everything and builds the patch in one step when doing editing and testing.

That being said, if you have a solution for doing word-wrapping purely in the TJS script, please publish it for other folks to use, since that would be a lot more elegant. I couldn't see a good way to do that, due to the way the rendering engine draws one character at a time... without hints about what the rest of the word will be, it's tough to make a line-break decision before you start drawing letters in the wrong place.

It's surely possible, just more script-hacking than I had the stomach for. ;-)
Old 2008-07-09, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoEd View Post
That being said, if you have a solution for doing word-wrapping purely in the TJS script, please publish it for other folks to use, since that would be a lot more elegant.
why not use a fixed-width font so that it's easier to decide where to manually break to the next line?
Old 2008-07-10, 07:27
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwaw View Post
why not use a fixed-width font so that it's easier to decide where to manually break to the next line?
That actually wouldn't help the main problem. Say you have a fixed-width font where you can fit 80 characters. You're on character 75, have just finished a word, and the engine tells you that you should print "b" next. Do you want to draw that character on the current line or the next line?

Unless you have a hint about whether the next word is "be" or "bizarre" (which is what the word-wrapping script does), you can't make this decision before drawing the first character in possibly the wrong place. And if you do have those hints, it's easy to calculate the width of the word in a proportional font anyway.
Old 2008-07-10, 07:55

Quote:
That actually wouldn't help the main problem. Say you have a fixed-width font where you can fit 80 characters. You're on character 75, have just finished a word, and the engine tells you that you should print "b" next. Do you want to draw that character on the current line or the next line?

Unless you have a hint about whether the next word is "be" or "bizarre" (which is what the word-wrapping script does), you can't make this decision before drawing the first character in possibly the wrong place. And if you do have those hints, it's easy to calculate the width of the word in a proportional font anyway.
ohm, okay. i meant manually break to a new line as in actually going into the .ks files and adding an [r] tag to every line you want to break, but i guess that is really too tedious. XD if there's a script that does the job, it will be best to use it, of course. (can you tell by my flailing that i'm not good this script hacking thing?)

so does anyone know how to make my doujin game run on non-japanese locale then? anybody...?
Old 2008-07-10, 08:19
Obsessive

Quote:
Yeah, it's not recommended to hand-edit the word-wrapped scripts... that's pretty tedious and error-prone. I just use a little shell script that processes everything and builds the patch in one step when doing editing and testing.

That being said, if you have a solution for doing word-wrapping purely in the TJS script, please publish it for other folks to use, since that would be a lot more elegant. I couldn't see a good way to do that, due to the way the rendering engine draws one character at a time... without hints about what the rest of the word will be, it's tough to make a line-break decision before you start drawing letters in the wrong place.

It's surely possible, just more script-hacking than I had the stomach for. ;-)
can't, not mine script, but my friends
but I have to say it works (with both nvl and adv style), and you don't have to write any manual linebreaks.
Old 2008-07-10, 08:23
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwaw View Post
i personally do not have a single word of japanese in my scripts. the .tjs files in the system folder, of course, contains japanese comments behind semi colons. so... do i remove every comment therein that is in japanese? (all my files are in already unicode 16-LE, according to convertz.)
japanese characters are irrelevant, on the computers without fonts it would be boxes or ? or something. And it shouldn't matter in comments
well then I dunno, have you checked every tjs file?
Old 2008-07-10, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
japanese characters are irrelevant, on the computers without fonts it would be boxes or ? or something. And it shouldn't matter in comments
well then I dunno, have you checked every tjs file?
to see if they are in unicode? i checked startup.tjs in the root folder of the game directory, the entire system folder, and the entire scenario folder. they are all in unicode. do i need to check all those "~このファイルは削除してかまいません~.txt" files too?

the problem is always solved if i can get my friend(s) to install east asia fonts and set their locale to japanese. does it have anything to do with that, i wonder?