gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-12, 15:49
Regular

Default Key Information Memo Page and Air translation...

I've been lurking this forum forever and finally decided to log in and post something. So hello all!

I haven't seen any posts about it so thought I'd point Key fans to a cool and insanely detailed page, the Key information memo page. If you're as good at Japanese as I am, you'll probably need some help translating it, perhaps this google translate link will help.

Good news. I've translated the entire script for Air Standard Edition! The bad news: it really sucks. I used machine translation. Completely unreadable gibberish. Just slightly more understandable than the pristine Japanese version.

My Japanese is no good so I guess it's a lost cause. I'd be happy to farm out scene (SEEN) files to willing translators (about 75 files of varying sizes). Sigh. I wish I could read the text for this game. Hopefully someone will pick up the translation again soon. And hopefully it will be completed before the 1000th summer.

Haeleth, your development tools for RealLive are really cool. They'd be a lot more useful if I understood Japanese, but that's my problem. I translated the menus and dialogs for the RealLive version that came with my Air Standard Edition DVD. That helps a bit with debug mode. It's amazing how many menus and dialogs are available in debug mode!

Anyhow, I love this site. Back to lurking....
Old 2006-06-13, 02:03
Regular

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the Air project already has all the resources it needs for translation. Now it only needs a few dedicated individuals to actually translate it.
Old 2006-06-13, 15:13
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum

Hiya Richard!

Wow! Interesting site... I will definately have to keep watch on that journal to see what's going on with their different releases (esp. Kanon TV 2 XD).

Machine translation... ack! It's more of a chore trying to figure out what the translation says than reading the Japanese yourself with a dictionary on hand! >.< I tried going through Tsukihime via online translation... Nasu's writing style is hard enough translated (I read the Fate Stay/Night trial previously) let alone gibberish. And then I saw the HCG from it and said NO! I also tried to do the same thing with Clannad... again met with failure and regret =/

Best way to work through a novel is to translate it by hand with a program like JWPce on hand to help work out the kanji. Not to mention you'll learn some Japanese that way too. Translating songs have helped me remember certain words and phrases and kanji alot!

Ja, ne
-Rai
Old 2006-06-14, 01:18
Visitor

Default Eternal fighter Zero

Hey tell me where ican get Eternal FIGHTER ZERO
Old 2006-06-14, 01:28
Addicted

http://www.himeyashop.com/product_in...oducts_id/2577
Old 2006-06-14, 02:49

Quote:
AIR God tail view bell Tono beauty 凪 Kirishima it is good from organic 乃' figure sale schedule
Google translation... almost as bad as babelfish translation. Reminds me of something....

Oh yes, looks exactly like the text I get when I try to translate japanese ^_^;
Old 2006-06-14, 04:02
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon-chan
Google translation... almost as bad as babelfish translation.
Which isn't surprising, given that Google and Babelfish use exactly the same translation software (SYSTRAN).

My anti-machine translation page.
Old 2006-06-14, 06:59
Obsessive

What 舞(a girl's name which means dance) and ダンス(dance) exist same time is raising difficulty. I don't think machine translation is completely useless, but there is limit.
Old 2006-06-14, 08:02
inuyasha9854

Considering I only got one of his questions right in regards to the passage...it wasn't even one of the ones that allowed you to get an idea of the situation.
Old 2006-06-14, 09:26
Ex-boss

To be fair, I've actually been pointed to a study that apparently shows machine translation does improve comprehension among people who have a limited grasp of the other language. Haven't tracked down a copy to read yet, though.
Old 2006-06-14, 10:47
byndhrzn

Actually I'm finding Bizlingo/Fujitsu translations kinda helpful, especially in combination with voiced games, and of course you can also edit program's dictionary to get more proper translations, like in this case where program is giving you 'dance' instead of 'Mai' (the name).
Old 2006-06-14, 14:27
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum
Wow! Interesting site... I will definately have to keep watch on that journal to see what's going on with their different releases (esp. Kanon TV 2 XD).
Yeah, the site blew me away with the amount of information it has every day. Every change to a Key-related site is linked and summarized. Google translate does a reasonable job translating this site for me but it only translates a limited amount of text before it gives up.

There is also an RSS feed for the Key Information Memo Page. Sadly google translate will not translate rss feeds (which appear as a popup in my Firefox toolbar).

I too cannot wait for Kanon TV 2. I'm sure the animation will be great considering the animation studio. I hope the script lives up to and even surpasses the original (game and/or series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum
Best way to work through a novel is to translate it by hand with a program like JWPce on hand to help work out the kanji. Not to mention you'll learn some Japanese that way too. Translating songs have helped me remember certain words and phrases and kanji alot!
Yes, I'm sure. I do have a couple of freeware translation tools/dictionaries. Too bad RealLive doesn't let you copy and paste from the text box.

There is an interesting Firefox extension that pops up a tooltip for kanji called rikaichan.
Old 2006-06-14, 15:06
Regular

I used Atlas to do the machine translation of Air SE. That took about a day. Otherwise I'd have had to translate line by line using google translate which would have taken weeks if not months. Then I started going line by line, where the translation made no sense, feeding lines of text thru google translate and a Japanese translation tool.

Doing this I managed to get the first SEEN file (0170) mostly understandable (only 147 lines). But it takes forever and when the translators fail, they really fail! Some of the SEEN files have 1000-2000 lines. Phooey.

The latter tool (OCN/Amikai) is sometimes better than the SYSTRAN based translators. It even translated an idiom into sensible English where google fell on its face. I can't remember what it was exactly. If I find it I'll post it here. Machine translation is horrible at flowery and artistic prose. So they are pretty bad with a lot of Air so far.

When my fingers bleed from excessive cutting and pasting or I start to think in the gibberish put out by gibberfish, I'll quit.

Atlas translated the Misuzu character name repeatedly as "outlook bell" and just left blanks where nonsense words or sound effects were (ie, gao, etc). What's that called, onomatopoeia? I haven't seen Kano anywhere so it probably munched her name as well.
Old 2006-06-14, 15:28
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

You're still not going to get anything close to a decent translation out of all this cut-and-pasting. Better to assist the actual AIR translation project, which might be resumed this summer.
Old 2006-06-14, 16:48
byndhrzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23
Too bad RealLive doesn't let you copy and paste from the text box.
You do realize there are text hooker apps like OTH and AGTH (do your google) for this sort of thing, they work with Key games nice enough, if you use Atlas check option for 'Automatic clipboard translation', no need for c/p.

Also with Atlas you can edit dictionary, so Misuzu can be erm...Misuzu.