gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-09-01, 01:55
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
The girl, when she says at the beginning that she looks at the maps, and traces the outlines with her "frail finger", does she mean to inform the reader that her physical constitution is weak?
That's how I read it. This translates the Japanese 細くなった指 (more literally "finger that has become thin").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephillim
Just curious: would there be a second support site for this work once the full version is out? I liked the work gp32 did for the original in terms of the background information supplied.
I would think that very likely. The current page is just a placeholder I threw together in about 5 minutes flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephillim
Also, to put zalas's into a serious context, I kinda missed that aspect of the original: to view the product from the mind of the translator, since everyone's interpretation of the author's work would differ to some degree.
I guess I can't dodge this issue any longer. ^^;

The multiple-translations aspect of the original was controversial. Some people loved getting two versions, but other people hated it, for various reasons -- not being able to compare the voiced/unvoiced versions as the author intended, being forced to make a blind decision if they only intended to read through the work once, even just disliking what they saw as redundant effort that could instead have gone into translating something else as well. Some people absolutely hated having multiple interpretations, because they didn't know which was "right". Some people didn't see the point at all, because they didn't think there were any interesting differences between my interpretation and gp32's anyway...

There is a valid case for multiple translations as a way for getting closer to the author's work, but it has problems too. Arguably, a single translation performed in consultation with the author (to disambiguate any places where significantly different multiple interpretations exist) might get the reader just as close to the text; closer, even, given the inherent unlikelihood that any single person would read more than one or two translations of the same work, and the risk that the ones they chose might have chosen interpretations significantly different from the ones the author intended.

Those are the reasons why currently I'm inclined to have the official translation contain only a single version. (Additionally, there's the fact that if I did collaborate, I'd really want to collaborate with gp32 again -- and he's taking a well-earned sabbatical from translation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilis
I just figure that it's likely that there'd be a number of translators who'd want to do this work anyways regardless of the redudancy, and maybe down the line we can showcase the differences in some single project instead of individual scipts all over.
That's an interesting idea -- kind of a retrospective analysis of the text, maybe with some metadiscussion of the different decisions made and comments from the various translators on why their own version is obviously the correct one? ^^

You could do some interesting things with a web application that displayed the original and/or various translations in parallel.
Old 2006-09-01, 06:22
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
The multiple-translations aspect of the original was controversial.
One side note: Multiple translations are absolutely invaluable when you want to translate a work into a third language without knowing the language of the original but knowing the language of the translations. They are basically the only way you have to get at the original meaning of the text without knowing the source language yourself or explicitly making translation of a translation.

This does happen in practice and in some cases is entirely unavoidable.
--- Maybe not the rest of Russia, but I certainly do.
Old 2006-09-01, 14:48

Yes, I'm currently working on a (private) Filipino translation using the three English versions (and occasionally the original).
Old 2006-09-02, 04:10

Just a note to Haeleth: the Linux download is named 'tbz', but is just a plain old tarball with no 'z' at all... :P
Rename to .tar to avoid confusing people?
Old 2006-09-02, 04:52
Ex-boss

No, it's bzip2'd; the plain tarball is 39 megabytes, the file being distributed is 31 megabytes, I'm quite sure there's compression going on there. ^^

Something must be filtering it through bunzip2 transparently for you: most likely, you downloaded it from my http link and the program you used to download it helpfully decompressed it for you. (It might have assumed the compression was being added by the server, since <s>for reasons beyond my control</s> due to a silly mistake on my part the file <s>is</s> was being served as text/plain!)
Old 2006-09-02, 06:36

<runs `file` on it>

Ah... so it is. Weird as shit, it worked without -j. My `tar` doesn't do that with gzipped files...

Still, 'tbz' is ambiguous at best. Ah, people still stuck in file-extensions-must-be-three-letters mode ;P

Also: the return to main menu yes/no prompt is untranslated. Not that it matters as this is only a temporary thing anyway.
Thanks for the translation, i enjoyed it.

The author mentions he may use something other than NScripter when he releases it proper... i guess this means no linux support? Ah well.
Old 2006-09-02, 07:01
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Still, 'tbz' is ambiguous at best. Ah, people still stuck in file-extensions-must-be-three-letters mode ;P
Blame Firefox, which (for me) bizarrely insists on changing .tar.bz2.torrent to .tar.bz2.torrent.tar and .tar.bz2 to .tar.bz2.tar. I tried to find out why, but Bugzilla told me the relevant discussion was secret and I wasn't allowed to see it. All very strange.

Quote:
The author mentions he may use something other than NScripter when he releases it proper...
Fear not, he assures me he's decided to stick with NScripter after all, so there will be Linux support in the final version as well.
Old 2006-09-02, 11:26
Visitor

naruissu..
naruissu?
naruissu!?
naruissu!

that was my reaction today when i saw the second naruissu demo up, needles to say that 5 seconds later i was downloading the demo.
so i thought i just post a reply saying thank you so much!
Thank You! :D
Old 2006-09-02, 22:11
K

Naruissu?

Er, if any of the translators wants someone to proofread, I could try to help >_>
Old 2006-09-06, 19:19
Regular

I know it's belated but thank you for translating the mini-demo for us Haeleth!! I waited for the mac version to come out before playing it and eventhough I tried my darndest could find any bugs in it ^_^

On a side note: I sent my Japanese friend the link to studio-nana after mentioning the mini-demo and he is now proclaiming about how "girly" I am... First he dubs me king otaku for contemplating a macross tattoo and now this... and to think I had this fantasy in my brain about Japan beng "the land of otaku and visual novels" :P
Old 2006-09-06, 22:44
mr.aufziehvogel

lol which char is that in the omake?

isn't it someone from scarlett or lamune?

thx for translating haeleth.

i have to replay narcissu side 1st :) because i remind a map in narcissu 1 but i dunno if my mind plays tricks with me ;P
Old 2006-09-07, 00:34
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.aufziehvogel

The girl in the omake, Nozomi-sensei, is from Sa-na-ra-ra.
Old 2006-09-07, 19:08
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Ayato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.aufziehvogel

The girl in the omake, Nozomi-sensei, is from Sa-na-ra-ra.
um excuse me, but sanarara?
Old 2006-09-07, 20:21
Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayato
um excuse me, but sanarara?
Yes

Old 2006-09-08, 13:19
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Ayato

ah oki thanks ^.^
(pulls out dictionary) Ok that looks like... that? O.o;;;;