gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-20, 23:59
Sheeta

Nope. I'm still waiting for a reply.
Old 2010-11-21, 10:32
Unregistered

I hope this does not become like Strato's TL of Baldr Sky. Who knows what he is doing but others are not picking it cause he is "translating it".
Old 2010-11-22, 04:08
Sheeta

Nope. It'll just end up in the big pile of 'I'm gonna translate XY!!' threads that Gemot has, and people will forget about it. Go look at the older threads sometime. It's amazing how many people decided to translate Kanon/CLANNAD/Higurashi back in the day (and made a thread declaring so), then mysteriously disappeared once they realised just how tough it was.

People believe Stratos because he's a.f.k. fansubs and translates the Haruhi Suzumiya novels for Little, Brown. Therefore he has some credit. He's not really sitting on it either, since no-one's shown up expressing interest in translating Baldr Sky other than him. (Dive1 and Dive2 put together come to around 4.6MB of text, so yeah.)
Old 2010-11-22, 20:46

Send a message via MSN to Hikari-chan Send a message via Skype™ to Hikari-chan

@VDZ See, the thing is, you called me an "incompetent translator". That is taking a stab at my skill more than anything which you clearly know nothing about. Now, if I was to fail going through with the project, that would make me a "lazy translator" or a liar, unless of course I had a valid reason. I think you need to choose your words more wisely.
I've already said that I know what I'm getting myself into, I've read through AIR in Japanese before.
Here's the mistake you made: you're making assumptions on the kind of person I am. If I say I'll do something, I don't turn around and say "Oh, sorry, I don't feel like doing this anymore". I'm not ready to let people down on that no matter how obnoxious some of them may be, because I know that there are at least some good people that know how to show respect. I know empathy and how much it annoys me when someone does that to me, SO DON'T GO AROUND MAKING UNFOUNDED GUESSING ON THE KIND OF PERSON I AM!! I've been through enough shit in my life and I don't need that!
Just because they have failed, doesn't mean I will! If I didn't have a little control, I would have just said from your post "Well, if that's the attitude people that want to see this translated is going to have, then they can all get stuffed and find someone else to do it". A tongue is a dangerous weapon!
Even if you aren't ready to give gratitude, you show a little respect! Respect is something given unconditionally until someone proves their selves unworthy of it.
You have nothing to criticise! You have jack shit to go on!
Relaxed forums like that are ones that ban countless members everyday. I just have been with people that know how to behave properly rather than acting like a beast!
Now, since even you yourself said that you have no talent for Japanese, you clearly can't be giving any good insight for this project. So, shut up and stop trying to push away the first person to probably offer to do this in a while! You clearly have nothing to offer to help this project, you're wasting my time, you have nothing positive to say out of what should be a positive situation, and your wasting forum space! I'm hardly wrong with this claim you see, because you have shown your attitude to all this and your post truly are pointless. Go annoy someone else on some other forum.

@Sheeta What would you be interested in assisting with? If you want to translate too for example, just be aware that every translator will be doing the WHOLE thing by themselves, the finished work will then be given to me, I'll compare everyone's interpretation and work out the best lines for the best possible results. This also avoids situations where you can tell multiple people have translated when you get to different sections. I'll just note that I am Australian though, so I may use a few expressions that I'm not aware other people (like from America for example) may not be familiar with.

@Everyone else I really am sorry that you have to put up with my response to VDZ, but he truly has overstepped his boundaries with me. I shan't think you should have the same problem.
Also let it be noted that if I do get a C&D and can't work out a deal with the owners, I will go back to the walkthrough. You see, I am making a visual novel of my own and hope to be well known in the future and would much wish to avoid conflicts.
Now, if I can help it, this will end my conversations on this thread. If you really wish to aid me in some way, email me at hikarin.mknd@gmail.com . I have focused on doing this and will officially start this project next year. However, I will not make any information on this until I am 25% through in which case I will post here again to notify anyone that wants to know. If you want to make sure you are notified, also feel free to email me and I'll make a list of emails to reply to once I have gotten that far through. This is because I wish to avoid any further pointless discussions and comments until I have moved onto that point. Understand that I am saying I will do this project. You will just have to wait that little while.
With regards, Hikarin.

Last edited by Hikari-chan; 2010-11-22 at 20:50.
Old 2010-11-22, 21:35
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

ಠ_ಠ

what am i reading

also

Quote:
If you want to translate too for example, just be aware that every translator will be doing the WHOLE thing by themselves, the finished work will then be given to me, I'll compare everyone's interpretation and work out the best lines for the best possible results.
lol
Old 2010-11-22, 22:50
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari-chan View Post
@Everyone else I really am sorry that you have to put up with my response to VDZ, but he truly has overstepped his boundaries with me.
While I'm annoyed by the incessant flaming in these forums as much as you are, I would like to ask you to stop feeding the trolls. The more you talk to them, the more they'll throw back at you. Feeding trolls is therefore not only entirely pointless, it also disrupts the forums. So, loss-loss situation.

Back on-topic please. Good luck with your translation. I think you'll need it, I hear AIR isn't the easiest thing out there.
Old 2010-11-22, 23:08
特定不可

がんばって、ひかりちゃん。

がんばって。

色々な意味で。
本当に。
生暖かい視線で、
あなたを精一杯応援します。

ひかりんは、悪くないです。
Old 2010-11-22, 23:42
Sheeta

@hikari-chan
I see you have an MSN address. I'll just add you there and discuss things from there. Is that OK?
Old 2010-11-23, 02:00
Unregistered

Quote:
*snip*
To be fair, I think you overreacted to VDZ quite a bit. What he said might have been a bit harsh but it wasn't intended to offend, more to make sure you definately know what you're doing before starting. If you do, great, and I'm sure he will be as grateful as the rest of us if this materialises into something.

But what you need to understand is that there have been a lot of threads like this, a lot of people who enthusiastically state that they want to translate X game, only to then lose interest etc. Air especially has been stuck in a rut for a long time and the last thing people want is for that to happen again.

So please chill out a bit. I and others will be immensely grateful if you do go all the way and provide a translation of Air and I do wish you the best of luck with it.
Old 2010-11-23, 20:51

@Moogy I know it's a long and grooling process, but it will bring out a brilliant result. If everything goes to plan, it will seem 110% proffessional^^

@Message ....You're right. Sorry; I know I lost it a little. I guess I just get a little selfish when it comes to things like that involving me or people close to me, but I have my reasons.... I'm working on it. I'll ignore responses liek that from now on, afterall, at least I know I have nothing to prove^^

@特定不可 Thank you for your support and your kind words, they are much appreciated!XD I'm glad you think I'm not!^^

@Sheeta I wouldn't mind with that, but I won't have internet till after Christmas, so this is a public internet I'm using at the moment you see. Just a normal email will have to do for now. Sorry for any inconvenience.

@Unregistered I know that's quite possible, it was more of a personal thing :x I had a terrible issue last year involving someone making false claims about me who I will never forgive. People have done very bad things to me before, but that woman not only stood in the way of what I wanted to do, but prevented me from completing someone else's dream quicker since he never had the chance to fulfill it himself.... That to me, was also doing wrong to him, and I will never forgive that. It's an issue I'm dealing with. You know, first comes the anger, then comes the tears.
Despite whether he meant harm or not, his choice of words were very bad and overall rude. I don't know if he is American and people from America are used to that sort of thing, but it's not a behaviour that I'm associated with.
I already know a lot of people have done this before, but I don't need that kind of attitude put on me. As I said, there are certain issues I'm still dealing with and I know I may have gone over the top, but that just came out of no where.

Now, I truly would love this to be my last post in this thread, so I may read people's responses that they post in here, but I would rather not reply.
Hopefully this should clear some things up now:
I, Hikarin, vow to work on the project translation for the visual novel that is AIR. Should I receive a C&D and the issues related to it can not be sorted, I will notify everyone here of this problem and will instead make a detailed walkthrough.

That should be enough in my opinion.
Old 2010-11-23, 22:49
Sheeta

Alright, email it is!
Old 2010-11-26, 18:00
Local

Send a message via MSN to VDZ

I won't respond to your direct reply to me, as that would only make you waste more time replying to me, although I would like to note I am Dutch, not American. Please don't generalize.

Quote:
Also let it be noted that if I do get a C&D and can't work out a deal with the owners, I will go back to the walkthrough.
It should be noted that an AIR project has a high risk of getting a C&D. VisualArt's, the parent company of Key (creator of AIR), has been sending C&D's to fan translators lately, one of which was aimed at the previous AIR project. You can, of course, try to decrease the risk by minimizing the amount of exposure the project gets until you release the final patch. (Putting it or links to it up on a well-known site such as TLWiki would make a C&D very likely. For extreme measures, don't leave your e-mail on project-related web pages; you can't receive a C&D if they don't know where to send it, after all!) The Little Busters! project on TLWiki seems not to have received any C&D yet, though, so who knows.

In case you do get a C&D, you'll probably want to turn towards MangaGamer. They've been negotiating with Key about officially releasing Key games in English for quite some time.
They first hinted at this on March 3rd of this year, and Kouryuu confirmed just now that they're still negotiating
Quote:
Originally Posted by #MangaGamer@SynIRC
[02:48] <VDZ> Well, I was looking for the latest confirmation that MangaGamer was still in talks with Key...I thought there was at least one several months ago
[02:49] <VDZ> But I can just ask directly: Is MangaGamer still negotiating with Key about releasing Key games in English?
[02:50] <~Kouryuu|Chrunchtime> I mean, no, we don't talk with them every single day about it, but we do still keep bringing it up, yes.
[02:51] <~Kouryuu|Chrunchtime> so yes, we aer still in talks with them.
However, stories have been heard about VisualArt's asking insane amounts of money for translation rights (last confirmed by the Dote Up A Cat translator when he got his C&D), so unless MangaGamer uses mad negotiation skills, the odds of releasing Key titles officially aren't looking too good.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:31

Okay, this truly is my very last comment just to clear something up, and this is also not directly pointed at you, VDZ.
I only thought of the American thing because of your way of writing (i.e. you write generalize, I write generalise). I wasn't meaning anything by that other than the fact that certain cultures see things differently. For example, from what I have seen, a lot of American comedy is sexually based and to me a lot of it goes too far where I don't find it particularly funny anymore, rather vulgar, but people in America would see that differently. If an American was to see an Australian comedian like Adam Hill (who I enjoy) for example, they may not get a lot of the tongue and cheeck involved in that and may not find it humourous either, but that's because we are exposed to different things. We accept different things even though we speak the same language. That's all I meant by it.

Also, I have already been notified of all that and of mangagamer and such, but even so, I intend to go through with this even though I will probably receive a C&D. Even if I completely finish it then are turned back, that's okay, because I at least tried. I'm sure translating it alone would have kept me entertained for the duration anyway.

Last edited by Hikari-chan; 2010-11-29 at 21:33.
Old 2010-11-30, 16:32
Unregistered

Yeah, Yeah.
To gemot I declare:
I'm gonna translate Air.
VDZ trolls and I don't care.
There's flaming everywhere.
Translate the entire thing yourself and we'll compare,
I see no problems there.
I usually don't swear.
But your accusation was unfair.
I'll translate for free; the patch I'll share.
All the gemot trolls, they're:
Haters and I don't care.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:24
Unregistered

Quote:
If an American was to see an Australian comedian like Adam Hill (who I enjoy) for example, they may not get a lot of the tongue and cheeck involved in that and may not find it humourous either, but that's because we are exposed to different things.
Yeah, those stupid, unsophisticated Americans...

I don't know about your Japanese, however, it is clear that your English needs some work.
Closed Thread