gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-02-23, 16:13

Send a message via AIM to Maxine MagicFox Send a message via MSN to Maxine MagicFox Send a message via Yahoo to Maxine MagicFox

Thank you but my question of verification had to do with the website: http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/character.htm

【主人公】阿東優 <-- is what is written beside his picture.

But, that is fascinating! And kinda indicates that, whatever the answer is, I probably won't take it as being official. Still, I just felt like that more information should have been given about the MC in the game so I guess I'm willing to clasp on to anything. I love Setsumi but the MC was part of the story, too.

Last edited by Maxine MagicFox; 2009-02-23 at 17:41.
Old 2009-02-23, 18:08
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayato View Post
Bah...
You could have let me keep thinking the way I did and let me think you were godly...

Anyone still have the .dmg for narci 1? I went to dl it off of the main site, and the direct download is about 3+ days and counting.
I didn't know insani had a direct download for it but the torrent file is working fine (Transmission is an excellent mac-compatible torrent client). I'm downloading it now and its slow (few hours) but live. I'll seed for a while too.
Old 2009-02-23, 19:41
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Well, now that I'm off of work, I can provide a more complete answer.

Originally, dating from 2005 when the original Narci came out, the main character had no name.

By the visual fanbook's publication date, Aug 17,2007, he was named "Atou Yuu", the kanji being the ones on the official site, and my unreliable memory is telling me that it was the first time he was given a name. Reading the old diary entries, apparently the names had been prepared for "another thing", which at the time I would guess was the light novel.

Switching over to said light novel, the publication date was July 31, 2008. The art insert at the beginning reconfirms the "あとう ゆう" name. There's something of a time lag between the two books, but I seem to remember that it had existed for a time in a sort of publisher limbo, so it's quite possible the name was created for that or the manga version that's serializing now.

As for official canon status? Well, take it as you want, Kataoka wrote all three himself, so it is what it is, and it'll be probably be used in any subsequent spin-off materials that may appear in the future.

Personally I made no use of it in my scripts for the Narci2 project, but 'not being canon' certainly wasn't the reason. It probably would have been convenience at some points too. Haeleth didn't use it either, though why I have no idea.

Yuu doesn't get much characterization, even his little box in the VFB is just a few tiny lines saying he's... the ordinary, everyday, everyman essentially. *shrug*
Old 2009-02-23, 19:55

Send a message via AIM to Maxine MagicFox Send a message via MSN to Maxine MagicFox Send a message via Yahoo to Maxine MagicFox

Thank you SO MUCH for the information, Agilis. I really do appreciate it and it's very interesting.

:\ Kataoka did write it himself. Hrrrm... well, that does change my opinion of it a little. Still, I think if you called him Yuu while talking about the game most people wouldn't have a clue, so I think until others start using it more frequently, I'll just continue calling him "protag" or something.

And unless it was used in the game itself, I would hope that you not use it in the Narci2 project since it would feel like you, the translators, would be forcing it to become canon, which from the sound of it's more or less an afterthought.

So, would Kataoka have written the info about "ordinary, everyday, everyman" since... well, honestly, Yuu doesn't feel that way to me at all. And personally, I thought he still got quite enough characterization in the first game. I realize that the focus was on Setsumi and the game was about her and all, but I still feel like he was a part of it, too, and even his story roused a few questions with me. I wouldn't care to have a third game that was his prologue or even a continuation of his story. And I mean, geez, he had a major impact on her life (or the end of it). If it weren't for his sudden "let's go" and all the things he did for her, I don't think she would have been quite as peaceful with her death. But, maybe I am worrying about something silly.

Last edited by Maxine MagicFox; 2009-02-23 at 20:05.
Old 2009-02-23, 23:16
Obsessive

More WINE news info:

I downloaded CrossOverMac trial today. It wouldn't run any thing but InstallSheild installers of the games I tried. I ran some games as installers but the fonts wouldn't work. Not recommended. My full opinion is here.

I did find a new promising build of Darwine. Casual Romance Club ran with minor bugs. More on that here.

Darwine can run Nscripter (what Narcissu uses) but ONScripter is a better choice. All of the menus in Higurashi worked fine but as usual, the biggest problem is fonts.
Old 2009-02-24, 00:56
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Ayato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuichi View Post
I didn't know insani had a direct download for it but the torrent file is working fine (Transmission is an excellent mac-compatible torrent client). I'm downloading it now and its slow (few hours) but live. I'll seed for a while too.
Thanks!

I remember looking up wine, but it seemed to required much work and knowledge to use.
In the end, I ended up ordering an OEM of Windows XP Pro. ^^;;
(Poisoning my beautiful MBP)
Old 2009-02-24, 01:28
Roto

I use a VMWare virtual machine running XP Pro for most VNs I play (all except the ones that have Mac versions, which is mostly just NScripter stuff.) Even titles that require moderate use of hardware accelerated graphics work pretty well with recent VMware versions. I haven't even bothered with a Boot Camp partition on my new MBP. Being able to move entire virtual machines around between computers is nice, too... I don't have to worry about reinstalling stuff, reactivating stuff, and copying over save files to play a game on a different computer; I just copy the whole VM.

I played around with WINE/CrossOver in the past, but never got it working satisfactorily with Japanese language support. It seems that doing anything beyond running basic programs with WINE requires more knowledge of low-level Windows stuff that I care to learn. (I find the way that WINE configuration options are actually stored in the Windows registry really annoying... I'd much rather edit config files than muck about with RegEdit...)
Old 2009-02-24, 03:24

Regarding Crossover:
No idea why, but as I said, Kanon does work. (with normal fonts/actually, it asks you which font to use)
ONE on the other hand, has the same problem as Romance Club.
So there seems to be a way to fix things.
After all, Kanon should require Japanese Language support installed, too.
Old 2009-02-24, 06:16

Quote:
More WINE news info:

I downloaded CrossOverMac trial today. It wouldn't run any thing but InstallSheild installers of the games I tried. I ran some games as installers but the fonts wouldn't work. Not recommended. My full opinion is here.

I did find a new promising build of Darwine. Casual Romance Club ran with minor bugs. More on that here.

Darwine can run Nscripter (what Narcissu uses) but ONScripter is a better choice. All of the menus in Higurashi worked fine but as usual, the biggest problem is fonts.
You can try to change the fonts, download MS Webcore fonts and put those in C:\Windows\Fonts\ (Wine, of course). You can change the locale of the app too, I haven't tried it before because it is a long process. I have managed to get several games to work in Wine.

And you can use VirtualBox too, but you will need a copy of Windows for that.
Old 2009-02-24, 19:07
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NML View Post
You can try to change the fonts, download MS Webcore fonts and put those in C:\Windows\Fonts\ (Wine, of course). You can change the locale of the app too, I haven't tried it before because it is a long process. I have managed to get several games to work in Wine.

And you can use VirtualBox too, but you will need a copy of Windows for that.
I figured there had to be a way, thanks for the tip:) . I have WinXP on a partition (boot camp) so WINE is mostly for geeky fun and some casual games XP. I have VirtualBox already for Linux though :)

Ayato, once your copy of XP shows up are you planning on going the virtual machine route (pricier/slower but convenient) or just using boot camp/partitioning (cheaper/faster but requires rebooting)?
Old 2009-02-25, 13:31
Obsessive

Quote:
I figured there had to be a way, thanks for the tip:) . I have WinXP on a partition (boot camp) so WINE is mostly for geeky fun and some casual games XP. I have VirtualBox already for Linux though :)

Ayato, once your copy of XP shows up are you planning on going the virtual machine route (pricier/slower but convenient) or just using boot camp/partitioning (cheaper/faster but requires rebooting)?
Ah I bought my XP from Tiger direct on saterday. Since UPS does do business that day, (I assume) I am getting it friday. Makes me kinda sad.

I will probably do boot camp. Windows is mainly going to be for games, and some small things. (Backing up DVDs, and microsoft office 03) I might put in about 65 gigs for the partition. (But I am testing some program that can change partition sizes on boot camp without a format on the drive.)

What do you suggest?

Also, can anyone save on the mac Narci version? It closes each time I attempt so. (If not, it is ok, I usual enjoy playing in one run either ways, but would appreciate an answer. ^^)
Old 2009-02-25, 19:47
Obsessive

Quote:
Ah I bought my XP from Tiger direct on saterday. Since UPS does do business that day, (I assume) I am getting it friday. Makes me kinda sad.

I will probably do boot camp. Windows is mainly going to be for games, and some small things. (Backing up DVDs, and microsoft office 03) I might put in about 65 gigs for the partition. (But I am testing some program that can change partition sizes on boot camp without a format on the drive.)

What do you suggest?

Also, can anyone save on the mac Narci version? It closes each time I attempt so. (If not, it is ok, I usual enjoy playing in one run either ways, but would appreciate an answer. ^^)
I use boot camp because I like to run 3D games that need Windows and because its how Windows is meant to be ran. No extra software or bugs, just the same Windows I already know how to deal with. If your just running VNs, virtual machines are certainly more convenient and strong enough to handle it but you need a virtual machine program.

That program your testing sounds interesting. My boot camp install is half my hard drive (and my space use is pretty even for now; I bought the 320GB drive) but I've always wondered what i could do if I wanted to adjust it. Do you have a link?

Naricissu saves fine for me. Save files are in the Narcissu applications folder though: a no-no for macs because you need certain privileges to write to Macintosh HD/Applications/ . This means if you installed the game to the usual place it might not be able to save. If you run Naricissu from your user folder (I'm using user/applications/ ) it saves perfectly.

Newer ONScripter builds save to user/library/Application Support which is the proper place. If you copy a newer ONScripter.app into the Naricussu folder it will save to the Library.

This is all guesswork from my personal observations on ONScripter's saving and Mac privileges. I'm not an IT professional and may be completely wrong.
Old 2009-02-26, 00:37
Obsessive

Quote:
I use boot camp because I like to run 3D games that need Windows and because its how Windows is meant to be ran. No extra software or bugs, just the same Windows I already know how to deal with. If your just running VNs, virtual machines are certainly more convenient and strong enough to handle it but you need a virtual machine program.

That program your testing sounds interesting. My boot camp install is half my hard drive (and my space use is pretty even for now; I bought the 320GB drive) but I've always wondered what i could do if I wanted to adjust it. Do you have a link?

Naricissu saves fine for me. Save files are in the Narcissu applications folder though: a no-no for macs because you need certain privileges to write to Macintosh HD/Applications/ . This means if you installed the game to the usual place it might not be able to save. If you run Naricissu from your user folder (I'm using user/applications/ ) it saves perfectly.

Newer ONScripter builds save to user/library/Application Support which is the proper place. If you copy a newer ONScripter.app into the Naricussu folder it will save to the Library.

This is all guesswork from my personal observations on ONScripter's saving and Mac privileges. I'm not an IT professional and may be completely wrong.
Ah, alright, I understand. I was just playing from the direct disk image.
I'll try it out later, got some homework to finish up on.

I haven't used to program yet, but it seems that it would work out well. (People on the mac forums are telling me it is fine.) If you have any problems, or you're able to make it work, please let me know. ^^;

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...with-camptune/

^ A review link

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

^ Link to the program
Old 2009-02-26, 17:45
Obsessive

Quote:
Ah, alright, I understand. I was just playing from the direct disk image.
I'll try it out later, got some homework to finish up on.

I haven't used to program yet, but it seems that it would work out well. (People on the mac forums are telling me it is fine.) If you have any problems, or you're able to make it work, please let me know. ^^;

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...with-camptune/

^ A review link

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

^ Link to the program
Looks interesting, maybe I'll try it once my Windows backup completes (It backs up a bit every time I run Windows but its sooo slow). Upon further investigation, the free WinClone can backup Windows so you can resize the partition (destructively) and then put everything right back how it was; but thats not half as convenient as CampTune sounds to be.
Old 2009-02-27, 18:27
Obsessive

Quote:
Looks interesting, maybe I'll try it once my Windows backup completes (It backs up a bit every time I run Windows but its sooo slow). Upon further investigation, the free WinClone can backup Windows so you can resize the partition (destructively) and then put everything right back how it was; but thats not half as convenient as CampTune sounds to be.
I got everything going, and wil be trying out camptune now.
I'll tell you how it all goes.
(Btw, how big is your windows partition? I have a 320gb hd, that was bought and had a little less than 300gb when used. I gave around 61gb to the windows, and plan on taking off 11gbs with camptune)