gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2006-07-22, 20:14
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default Visual Novel Panel at Tsubasacon 2006

Konban wa minna!

I just recieved notice that my fan panel I wanna host at Tsubasacon 2006 (Oct. 13-15 in Huntington, WV) has just been approved! I'm gonna host an intro to visual novels panel. I plan on talking about a very brief history of visual novels (that write-up on Shii's site I've already got bookmarked), synopses of some of the most popular ones, doujins, and examples at the end.

I've got 1 hour to do it in. Any suggestions on how I should approach this? What I should research more of? etc. I've got 3 months to prep and I'm going to use it.

Also, I'm gonna cosplay as Yukito on that day ^^. Now to find a wig...

Ja, ne
-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #2  
Old 2006-07-23, 00:27
zalas zalas is offline
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: fushigi misuterii
Posts: 1,831
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default

I think maybe you should go into examples first. Like, take a popular game-based anime that fans may be familiar with, and show them screens of the original game, and demonstrate briefly the system. Then, you could go into history, and not let everyone be kind of confused on what the heck a visual novel is. For the history, I'd focus on the development of the genre, using key (no pun intended) games to illustrate how the genre evolved. When you mention these titles, you could go into a short synopsis. Then, at the end, you could demonstrate some more titles in action to give people an idea of the breadth of the genre, how English terminology differs from Japanese terminology (novels versus adventures, etc.), etc.

One hour sure is a long time slot to fill ^_^;
__________________
~Yoda is waiting in the air~ | HAVEN
  #3  
Old 2006-07-23, 06:14
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I think maybe you should go into examples first. Like, take a popular game-based anime that fans may be familiar with, and show them screens of the original game, and demonstrate briefly the system.
I think I can cover that... Now I wonder, do I order Kanon a tad bit earlier than I was expecting XD or maybe Tsukihime which I already have. I also have that Fan Book for Comic Party on my computer... or I could get that one also... decisions decisions >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Then, you could go into history, and not let everyone be kind of confused on what the heck a visual novel is. For the history, I'd focus on the development of the genre, using key (no pun intended) games to illustrate how the genre evolved. When you mention these titles, you could go into a short synopsis.
Okay, could you name a few in particular? I know I was reading about the first visual novels from Leaf on that history essay (which I have to say was pretty interesting to read ^^) on Shii's site. Should I pick a few out of that essay that detail the progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Then, at the end, you could demonstrate some more titles in action to give people an idea of the breadth of the genre, how English terminology differs from Japanese terminology (novels versus adventures, etc.), etc.
Lets see... I have a school romance (CLANNAD, which I would probably also order when I get Kanon so I can say I officially own it ^^;), futuristic sci-fi (planetarian), horror/mystery (Higurashi, demo only -_-;), comedic fantasy/adventure RPG (Duel Savior... but it's on PS2.)... yeah I think I've got that covered. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
One hour sure is a long time slot to fill ^_^;
You've never seen me present XD I'm the interactive type who can stretch the limits of the time allotment because I love presenting! In Biochem I, Dr. Roy, the best chemistry proffessor ever, normally skipped the chapter on cells. Me being the only one in it, he said for me to teach him that chapter for one class! After that, he had me teach a few days of an arranged Organic II course and I had fun ^^ So a one hour time slot is not threatening to me... keeping it within one hour is going to be the harder part ^^;;

Ja, ne
-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #4  
Old 2006-07-23, 07:25
rodan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I guess you could show the Fate/ stay night demo if you need an action title.

Or you could always lure people in with nekomimi maids and girls with box cutters.
  #5  
Old 2006-07-23, 11:15
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
I guess you could show the Fate/ stay night demo if you need an action title.

Or you could always lure people in with nekomimi maids and girls with box cutters.
I forgot about FS/N, thanks! ... girls with box cutters? x.x Sounds like something out of Higurashi x.x

I think for luring I'm gonna aim for the anime that's based off of some of the novels. I have Tsukihime, Comic Party, Kanon, AIR, To Heart, Triangle Hearts 3~Sweet Songs Forever~, Fate Stay/Night, & Higurashi. More focusing on the first few since more people have heard about them. I was thinking maybe a short video watching as CG morph into the anime XD. Like the ending of Tsukihime when Shiki is holding Arc in his arms and she refuses to drink his blood... Mai standing in the hallway brandishing her katana in Kanon... etc. (If I could find the CG ending of Watanagashi-hen.. o.o; That's a creepy ending in the anime!) If I can do it without After Effects that is >.<

If that doesn't work... all the moe you can find should! XD

Ja, ne
-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #6  
Old 2006-07-23, 12:30
Minoto's Avatar
Minoto Minoto is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
I guess you could show the Fate/ stay night demo if you need an action title.

Or you could always lure people in with nekomimi maids and girls with box cutters.
I forgot about FS/N, thanks! ... girls with box cutters? x.x Sounds like something out of Higurashi x.x
Or Kaede from SHUFFLE! ...
__________________
観鈴の友達
  #7  
Old 2006-07-23, 14:17
Shii's Avatar
Shii Shii is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cloudy Water
Posts: 497
Send a message via ICQ to Shii
Default

When it comes to visual novels in the West, the fan translation community shouldn't be underestimated. It's also the best possible topic for you to talk about since you just need to explain what you know. You should talk about the various ups and downs we've had so far and what projects have been successful. It will be much more inviting to people when they know that there are already English-speaking fans.

I was planning on writing up a timeline myself, but boy this summer has been busy.
  #8  
Old 2006-07-23, 15:30
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii
When it comes to visual novels in the West, the fan translation community shouldn't be underestimated. It's also the best possible topic for you to talk about since you just need to explain what you know. You should talk about the various ups and downs we've had so far and what projects have been successful. It will be much more inviting to people when they know that there are already English-speaking fans.

I was planning on writing up a timeline myself, but boy this summer has been busy.
I will definately keep the translation community in mind ^^. It'd be bad to talk about the novels and then not the translators who've slaved for months and years to translate them :P

Reason I'm doing an intro panel is because I seriously don't know how many people in WV beside me and my friends know about visual novels being more than just porn. We are quite isolated here in the Appalachians. Not as backwoods as people like to portray us (even though I know quite a few people who fit it to the tee!), but we're still a little behind in pop culture.

Example: This is Tsubasacon's 3rd year. The first anime convention in West Virginia.

-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #9  
Old 2006-07-24, 07:59
rodan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The controversies over Planetarian and Wind might be something that you could go over.
  #10  
Old 2006-07-24, 08:29
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
The controversies over Planetarian and Wind might be something that you could go over.
*shudder* Funny you should say that since I was snooping on hongfire out of sheer boredom and found like 3 torrents of cracked planetarian =/... one English voiced... phh yeah right!

Seriously! What is so hard about paying $10 for a novel that someone has a FREE translation for?! I mean! I'd rather pay $10 for a novel that I may or may not like rather than $50 or $70 and hate it and be stuck with it! *calm down... don't get started.. think happy thoughts... like Ayu-chan jumping face first into that tree and getting snow dumped on her XD*

the Wind controversy is a whole panel on it's own! I may make a slight off glance at it but.. eeehhh.. >.< Being in debate classes for the past few years makes me more itching to participate in them >.< The curse of having classes with one of the best proffessors in the university -_-;

-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #11  
Old 2006-07-24, 09:37
rodan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum
I was thinking maybe a short video watching as CG morph into the anime XD. Like the ending of Tsukihime when Shiki is holding Arc in his arms and she refuses to drink his blood... Mai standing in the hallway brandishing her katana in Kanon... etc. (If I could find the CG ending of Watanagashi-hen.. o.o; That's a creepy ending in the anime!) If I can do it without After Effects that is >.<

If that doesn't work... all the moe you can find should! XD

Ja, ne
-Rai
Set the background music as "Last Regrets" and you'll be perfect.
  #12  
Old 2006-07-24, 09:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Seriously! What is so hard about paying $10 for a novel that someone has a FREE translation for?! I mean! I'd rather pay $10 for a novel that I may or may not like rather than $50 or $70 and hate it and be stuck with it!
Some people won't pay for anything as long as it's possible to get it for free. There're those who pirate dozens if not hundreds of games/anime each year, so it's not like the price is affecting their decision. Unfortunately, hardcore pirates are probably the most likely to lap onto niche or fan-translated works. They're often the first to hear about these things, and there's no financial risk for them to begin downloading.
  #13  
Old 2006-07-24, 10:39
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum
I was thinking maybe a short video watching as CG morph into the anime XD. Like the ending of Tsukihime when Shiki is holding Arc in his arms and she refuses to drink his blood... Mai standing in the hallway brandishing her katana in Kanon... etc. (If I could find the CG ending of Watanagashi-hen.. o.o; That's a creepy ending in the anime!) If I can do it without After Effects that is >.<

If that doesn't work... all the moe you can find should! XD

Ja, ne
-Rai
Set the background music as "Last Regrets" and you'll be perfect.
or Tori no Uta XD. I think both are the like the most famous opening songs ever. Not to mention I have both songs LIVE from my I've in Budokan concert DVD's I ripped the audio from :D Ayana singing Last Regrets and then Lia with special guest Shinji Orito on piano for Tori no Uta! Lia's very pretty on stage. ^^ And then later for Fair Heaven, Orito walks out and he almost trips on a cord and I think he unplugged a guitar from an amp. Everyone was laughing! XD

-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
  #14  
Old 2006-07-24, 11:19
Shiro
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Seeming as though there's no way for me to go.. do i get pictures? ^^;
  #15  
Old 2006-07-24, 18:18
JRaiKetchum's Avatar
JRaiKetchum JRaiKetchum is offline
Obsessive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro
Seeming as though there's no way for me to go.. do i get pictures? ^^;
;) I'll post some pictures on a site somewhere for y'all to see. Or I may steal my dad's video camera and tape it XD

-Rai
__________________
Breathe Deep.
The answers are all around you.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to determine what visual novel engine does a visual novel use? raphael512 Production & Help 0 2014-03-28 23:50
Ichibancon Visual Novel Panel! JRaiKetchum General Discussion 13 2011-01-10 12:00
Visual Novel Panel at Ohayocon 2008 Prep. JRaiKetchum General Discussion 18 2008-01-07 09:34
Visual Novel panel Samurai Drifter General Discussion 13 2007-01-16 13:56
Tsubasacon Visual Novel Panel JRaiKetchum General Discussion 7 2006-11-09 16:22


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 16:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.