gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-02-27, 05:39
Obsessive

Default Higurashi, PC, PS2, or DS?

There's too many Higurashi games, it's confusing to sort them all out.

There's 2 Higurashi games for PS2, I believe the 2nd one(Kakera Asobi) is the superior version and the 1st one can be ignored. Does Kakera Asobi include all content from the PC version(minus H scenes of course)?

How are the 4 DS Higurashi games different from the PS2 Kakera Asobi? Could be the 4 DS games be Kakera Asobi broken down into 4 chunks? Or do they tell a different story?
Old 2010-02-27, 06:10
Obsessive

first point first, there is no H in higurashi at all, any version.

PC games are the must, but PS2 version is quite good (superior graphics, and it has choices) + new arcs.

Kakeru Asobi is superior to Matsuri, since it's just an advanced version of matsuri (adding special tips).

Kizuna (DS version) has completely different arcs than original higurashi (4 additional arcs).

I recommend getting all of them.
Old 2010-02-27, 06:17
Obsessive

Wow, Kakera Asobi is just an upgrade, on the same system? That's pretty rare for a visual novel.

Common for rpgs though, like:
Star Ocean 3 DC, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne Maniacs, Persona 3 FES, FF7/FF10/FF10-2/FFXII Int, Xenosaga Reloaded, La Pucelle Round 2, Kingdom Hearts 1/2 Final Mix, etc.

Some action games too:
Another Century's Episode 2 Vocal Edition, Devil May Cry 3 SE, Zone of Enders 2 SE, MGS3: Subsistence

But for a visual novel? Maybe Higurashi: Kakera Asobi is the only one?

Last edited by DragonmasterX; 2010-02-27 at 06:22.
Old 2010-02-27, 11:41

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

The PS2 version came out and some fans were disappointed, so they made this Kakera Asobi version. They released both an append disc for people who bought the first PS2 game and a full version that contains the contents of both. Kakera Asobi put "you" back into the game and fleshed out other stuff. The PS2 version also has 2 new "arcs", but is missing the minigames, the original music, has different character designs and does not contain the contents in Rei.

I think the DS version is just a port of the PS2 version, with even more added scenarios.

Oh, and the PS2 version (and probably the DS version) redid the layout of the game so that instead of 8 separate linear visual novels, you get a branching AVG that unlocks additional branches as you progress through the "arcs", although you might not end up playing the arcs in the "best" order.
Old 2010-02-27, 11:56
Unregistered

One of the extra content kakera added was voiced protagonist for all arcs.
Old 2010-02-27, 13:18

AFAIK, the DS version does include storylines from manga etc. as additional arcs. I haven't read it though because reading japanese on that tiny screen is *very* exhausting -___-
Old 2010-02-27, 22:58
kouryuu

I've been playing the DS version myself. Throughout the span of the 4 games, it contains all 8 of the original arcs, the first one contains the additional arc, Someutsushi, based on the Manga and focused on the character Natsumi, the second one contains the side-story Hiru-kowashi, as well as the new arc, Kageboushi, a retelling of Someutsushi from the eyes of the three detectives (Akasaka, Minai, and Ooishi). The third contains two new arcs: Yoigoshi, which is based on the manga and features Akasaka's daughter investigating the case by speaking with Sonozaki about 20 years later; and Tokihogushi, which tells of Minai's encounter with an investigation into Rena's past. 4th game just came out, so I'm not sure what new chapters come with it, but there should be three additional chapters I haven't listed yet since it contains only the 8th chapter out of all the original scenarios.
Old 2010-02-28, 09:22

According to the information I've heard, and also from what I've seen of the preview trailer for the game, two of the three chapters were the ones on the PS2 release, and the third one is a completely new chapter called "Kotohogushi-hen" which is supposed to be about Hanyu's past as well as Hinamizawa's. Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BubdO3eNC5E

Sure makes me wish I could read Japanese... (though considering these arcs weren't written by Ryukishi07 I can just pretend they don't exist, which is some comfort)
Old 2010-02-28, 11:06
Posts way too much

Honestly, I'd just play the PC games. Which is what I did =P
Old 2010-02-28, 11:46
Obsessive

PS2 version looks better to eyes, though. A lot.
Old 2010-02-28, 13:34
Posts way too much

Yeah, but it's a sound novel. You're not looking at the graphics all that much anyway. =P

Last edited by Asceai; 2010-02-28 at 13:37.
Old 2010-02-28, 14:50
Obsessive

So?
The thing is, I am already past that point, because my first contact with higurashi was anime.
So I don't care about not being as much faithful, and moreover, music wasnt that good as well, certainly not umineko level...
Old 2010-03-01, 18:28
Obsessive

I think the PC art has some quirky fun to it while the ps2 art is fairly generic.