gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2008-07-02, 00:01

Default Changing the music files for KID's games?

I noticed that most of KID's games use waf files for the BGM when I tried to open the bgm.dat with Susie (ones that I tried were MO2, MO4, MO5 and Ever17). I am wondering, is it possible to convert a wav file to waf, then put them into a dat file for use as the BGM of these games, specifically MO2?

I want to do this because the original MO2 BGM music files have so much background noise so I want to change them to better quality ones. I play visual novels (as well as all other music on the PC) with a pair of extremely revealing headphones and these noises are so disturbing.

I have seen a BGM patch for Ever17 which improves the BGM quality. I checked that patch out and basically it's just a new BGM.dat with better quality waf files. Since someone has already done this with Ever17, I'm sure there must be a way to do this for all the other KID's games?

Last edited by p997tt; 2008-07-02 at 00:03.
Old 2008-07-02, 00:14
Posts way too much

Jeez, I wonder why KID like doing that kind of crap with their game soundtracks. Disk space clearly isn't the thing here (otherwise they would have gone with vorbis or something, and saved a heap of space anyway).
Old 2008-07-04, 20:15
dsp2003

Asceai, i was wondering of the same thing. -_-' Probably they did that for a reason of money - to sell CD albums well. On the other hand, MP3 is a closed-source and requires the licensing. And, i guess, the OGG Vorbis wasn't so known in the beginning of 2000th (Really? Then why Will Co. titles have their OSTs in OGG at that time? D'oh...we'll never find the answer. ^_^').

p997tt, yeah, it's possible and it's really pretty simple. :) WAF is a wave with Micro$oft ADPCM-encoded stream (not IMA ADPCM) and hardly raped header.

Way No.1: You can find WAF<->WAVE converter & DAT (un)packer at my homepage or TLWiki.

Way No.2: I did this for Ever17 only, but MO2 uses the same engine version, so, i think, it will work for you as well (if your copy have no CD-Copy protection. If there's any - download the NoCD). Convert the needed tracks into Wave as PCM 16-bit 44100Hz Stereo. Next, open the game EXE with HEX editor. Find the strings with "bgm.....waf" pattern and change them into "bgm.....wav". Save the EXE. Pack the files.

Note: KID Engine does not support any lossless codecs, except for the PCM and ADPCM, so the size of your result BGM.DAT will be approx. 900 Mb.

Also, please refer to this thread: http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost...14&postcount=2

Good luck. :)

Last edited by dsp2003; 2008-07-04 at 20:25.
Old 2008-07-04, 21:38
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Asceai, i was wondering of the same thing. -_-' Probably they did that for a reason of money - to sell CD albums well.
If they seriously did that, I don't even know what to think... that's just terrible.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:40

@dsp2003: Thanks so much! I followed your method two and it worked! You're a legend. :D

I also tried your method 1 but I couldn't convert my wav files to waf using the program in your website.

The BGM file ended up to be 1GB, which was 870MB more than the original file. I don't care about using up more space (all the music in my HDD are in lossless format anyway) as long as I don't have to put up with the original low quality stuff.

As for

Last edited by p997tt; 2008-07-05 at 01:42.
Old 2008-07-05, 06:09
dsp2003

Quote:
Thanks so much!
You're welcome.

Quote:
I also tried your method 1 but I couldn't convert my wav files to waf using the program in your website.
It doesn't work because you should encode Wave in MS ADPCM (as my tool only converts file header, it doesn't do the encoding).

You haven't read the mentioned thread, did you? =_= *Akira Kogami's voice*

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-02-02 at 08:47.
Old 2008-07-05, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
You're welcome.

It doesn't work because you should encode Wave in MS ADPCM (as my tool only converts file header, it doesn't do the encoding).

You haven't read the mentioned thread, did you? =_= *Akira Kagami's voice*
Yeah I noticed that my wav files are all in PCM. I also saw an error message in the program when I tried to convert the file, it reads something like "only supports ADPCM". And no, I didn't read that thread properly as I just clicked the link to download the archive extractor/creator and closed the page... :P

Oh well, as long as I managed to replace the original soundtrack, I'm all happy.