gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2012-07-25, 13:33
Visitor

Default Sisters - Saigo natsu no hi - can't find in-game text

Hi

Seeing as I have loads of free time i thought it'd be nice to try myself at hacking vn's. I started with SISTERS, because my friend told me he'd translate it if I suceed.

And so here's my problem:

After writing an unpacker and unpacking the content from game archives (.isa) i got loads of .png's (obviously) and some game script .ism files, in which i expeted to find kanji that i could extract, pass to my TL, and paste back translated. Well i know it wouldn't be that easy, but you catch my drift. Sadly those files don't seem to contain any interesting data at all, nor they seem to be encrypted.

http://speedy.sh/ZtjW8/data0.zip <- i collected them all here

Any idea if I can do something with them?
Old 2012-07-25, 17:38
erengy

I took a quick look at a couple of .ISM files, and the file structure seems to be something along the lines of:
Spoiler

From here, you can either find how each instruction is laid out and code a full-fledged script converter, or just focus on text-related ones to extract character names, dialogs and stuff. Since you seem to have lots of time on your hands, I'd suggest the former.
Old 2012-07-25, 23:58
Visitor

Yeah, but, doesn't it seem wierd there's no actual text in them? How will I know where to put translated text back to?
Old 2012-07-26, 17:23
erengy

Since we can't directly see meaningful words, my guess is that they're encoded in some way. Also the parts that resemble strings are rather short even for a game like this one.

If I were you, I would:

1. Make sure there are no other files (including the game executable) that could contain the text.
2. Map each function name to their corresponding instruction.
3. List the input of text-related functions.
4. Compare them with what you see in game to figure out how they're encoded. Looking out for single-character lines ("?") or repeated characters ("………") might help.
Old 2012-07-27, 10:02
Visitor

Yeah, turns out that those .ism are encrypted and contain everything. I've set some hwbp's on memory and pinpointed the decrypting part of code.

Each byte is first negated and after that XOR'ed. There are multiple XOR keys even for one .ism

Last edited by Tai; 2012-07-27 at 10:05.