gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2009-02-17, 00:25
dsp2003

I *BUMP* this thread. Message is so right...

>adding stuff from the JP command list to insani's html
...will be a bad job. ^^' It's the the insani's html which sould be ripped and re-used for the newer documentation translation, not vice-versa, imho. ^_^

By the way, i was wondering, will someone write in details and bunch of examples, what's those ":a;...",":c/2;..." and other image\sprite tags (or metacommands?) means? So far i know, there's no such examples in the documentation, and the problem is that I started to port something to OnScripter, and my head is already aching...

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-02-17 at 00:33.
Old 2009-02-17, 00:49
Posts way too much

Why port stuff on ONScripter, out of curiosity? If you're going to port a VN, why not port it to a more respectable VN engine?
Old 2009-02-17, 01:15
dsp2003

Asceai, honestly, i don't know what is going to be called "respectable". The only 2 Open Source cross-platform engines i have access to is (P)OnScripter\ONSlaught and Ren'Py, but Ren'Py is a piece of Python crap when the things coming to cyrillic and stuff. [wrap text="KiriKiri2"]KiriKiri2 [wrap text="is"]is [wrap text="just"]just [wrap text="a"]a [wrap text="bloated"]bloated [wrap text="and"]and [wrap text="messy"]messy [wrap text="BC++"]BC++ [wrap text="crap"]crap.
Old 2009-02-17, 01:20
Sonozaki Futago-tachi

Made a start on processing the latest Nscripter API file, but time to sleep now...
And yeah, I'll just paste insani's stuff into this thing where applicable, to save time. Good point dsp.

I could get together something to explain the sprites at some point, but for now here's a quick guide:

":c" = COPY, draw the sprite image exactly
":a" = ALPHA, the image's right-half contains alpha values
":m" = MASK, alpha values come in the given file
":l" = LEFT, use the color of the upper-left pixel as the transparent color
":s" = STRING, make a textual sprite

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2009-02-17, 02:35
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

I am highly versatile as far as japanese goes, but I haven't a single clue as to programming.
If anyone here needs help understanding what's written there, catch me on irc (I'm on worldnet though) or AIM.
Old 2009-02-17, 03:24
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
but Ren'Py is a piece of Python crap when the things coming to cyrillic and stuff.
Could you explain this in more detail, please? Because Python and Ren'py both support Cyrillic and other charsets.
Old 2009-02-17, 03:56
dsp2003

Asceai, here:

The green \uXXXX are the character's name that was supposed to be in cyrillic... -_-
Old 2009-02-17, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Asceai, here:
The green \uXXXX are the character's name that was supposed to be in cyrillic... -_-
Did you declare the character name as Unicode string? (e.g. u"My first unicode string in color.")
I just tried it and by prepending the "u" it worked for me.

Although I personally need my brackets{}.
Old 2009-02-17, 07:12
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

I rant all the time against using wiki for translation, but for documentation like this, it would be the perfect use for a wiki >_> <_<
Old 2009-02-17, 07:24
Regular

Quote:
[wrap text="KiriKiri2"]KiriKiri2 [wrap text="is"]is [wrap text="just"]just [wrap text="a"]a [wrap text="bloated"]bloated [wrap text="and"]and [wrap text="messy"]messy [wrap text="BC++"]BC++ [wrap text="crap"]crap.
Seriously, you'd think the guy who wrote an engine that supports several code pages (Unicode! Gasp!), has video playback, and a C++-esque interpreter could have figured out that someone somewhere might want to wrap words separated by spaces, and not just Japanese.

Did you know that ONScripter has the code to convert SJIS to Unicode, but Ogapee decided not to support Unicode in the script*?
I can prove it! See ONScripterLabel_text.cpp. The first if block in ONScripterLabel::drawGlyph() (line 79 in the latest revision).

The Japanese are large-scale hermits, and that's why, with very few exceptions (the ones I can think of are all games, and they have to be modified in the US, anyway), their software is unusable outside Japan. I find it baffling that a country with so many good computer scientists has so many bad software developers. And their code doesn't even suck at a low level. It's at the high level that they fail. They seem to think it's inconceivable that a non-Japanese might want to use their software.
Jerks.

Quote:
":l" = LEFT, use the color of the upper-left pixel as the transparent color
Oh, so that's what that does!
I'm thinking of overloading that syntax with something nicer. What kind of twisted mind came up with that, anyway? Its barely distinguishable from line noise.

*Well, either that, or he realized too late that he needed to do the conversion in order to display TrueType glyphs. In either case, he fails as a software developer.

Last edited by helios; 2009-02-17 at 12:01.
Old 2009-02-17, 11:45

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post
Seriously, you'd think the guy who wrote an engine that supports several code pages (Unicode! Gasp!), has video playback, and a C++-esque interpreter could have figured out that someone somewhere might want to wrap words separated by spaces, and not just Japanese.
Why would they want to spend the time and effort to write a tokenizer for Western languages when their target audience is primarily Japanese? And KAG3 only looks "bloated" *after* you run the word pre-tokenizer script on it. You don't actually edit the script with all those [wrap text="foo"] blocks in it, much as how you don't edit C code after it has been run through the C preprocesser. Since KAG3 runs as a script on the lower level KiriKiri2 engine, nothing's stopping someone from rewriting the KAG3 script parsing section to automatically tokenize Western words.

EDIT: Although interestingly enough, the game engine used for Berkana's game, Last Song, fully supports Western-style word wrapping out of the box. Go figure.
Old 2009-02-17, 11:59
Regular

For open source projects, you can never know what your target audience will be, or how and for what purpose your code will be used. And he obviously meant at some point to have his engine used with some non-Japanese language, otherwise he wouldn't have used Unicode (probably).
Old 2009-02-18, 13:51
Visitor

Default Using this thing

I can't figure out just how this works.... I'm very new to the whole visual novel thing.

I'm trying to use ONScripter/ONSlaught/etc to make a visual novel.

Can anyone point me to somewhere I can get some sample games for free? The ONScripter SDK is kinda cryptic.... nscmake prints out some wierd characters (I'm assuming in japanese).

No, I'm not new to programming.

Last edited by Shorin; 2009-02-18 at 13:54.
Old 2009-02-18, 14:11
Visitor

Default answering my own questions...

Actually i found that insani.org was pretty good at answering this question... except for the development question.....still could use some help on that.
Old 2009-02-18, 17:24
Regular

ONSlaught includes an alternative to the SDK: https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ease_id=656442 (any of the three tools archives)

Here's an example game: http://at2006.haeleth.net/game.php?id=5