gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2009-10-21, 08:37
Unregistered

HAHAHAHA

So thaat's what you meant. Now I just feel dumb. XD While I must say I'm pleased that I can just type in the script and run it directly, isn't there any kind of packaging at all? I mean, usually the .dat file is compressed in comparison. If it's more trouble than it's worth, I might as well just drop it. Also, it might be convenient adding that note somewhere.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the trouble. o/
Old 2009-10-21, 08:41
Roto

No, compression isn't supported for script files. The .dat file is literally just the text file with every byte XOR'd with 0x84. The only thing it really does is prevent people from seeing a text file and just double-clicking it and trying to read it.

On Mac OS X, you can put game resources inside of the application bundle, which makes things a lot cleaner, but there is no bundle support on Windows. In PONScripter, there's also preliminary support for packaging certain game resources inside the executable itself, but I'm not certain if that works for the script file (it's used for the game icon in the distributed PONScripter builds, but I haven't really tried it for anything else.)

And yes, PONScripter documentation is a little sparse right now. Don't hesitate to ask about stuff if you get stuck again.

Last edited by Roto; 2009-10-21 at 08:47.
Old 2009-10-21, 10:05
Unregistered

Hum. So I've probably misunderstood it and misinterpreted it. Although, while there isn't script compression, it's possible to use a .nsa file to pack all images, etc. neatly and save some HDD space.

And thanks again for your words of encouragement.
Old 2009-10-21, 10:26
dsp2003

Just a little hint (and my personal preference): never compress your distribution internally except the streamed music and sounds. With current file compressions like LZMA and even zlib it's a LOT more effective to compress the whole data at once than each file\datablock individualy. This strategy will cause your distribution to take more space at the user's side, but will allow you to make your distribution package smaller.

Good example of this is Aoi Shiro - it takes about 7 Gb installed, but perfectly fits on single layer DVD as installer. That's because mostly all of it's CG data isn't compressed.
Old 2009-10-30, 19:33
Regular

That only applies if none of the files are compressed, which is actually pretty stupid. Even if LZMA is able to find that several BMPs are remarkably similar, it'll still do a worse job than lossy algorithms like JPEG or OGG.
For example, here I have a resource archive. As JPEG, it uses 83.8 MiB. As BMP, it uses 708.8 MiB (JPEG ratio: 11.8%).
Compressed with 7-Zip with all compression parameters maxed out, the BMPs go down to 124.8 MiB (LZMA ratio: 17.6%). The JPEGs go down to 79.1 MiB (94.4%).
If I extrapolate this to your example, that DVD could have been reduced to (assuming the DVD is completely full [4480 MiB]) 3000 MiB installed (of course, it depends on what percentage of that were images).
Old 2009-10-30, 23:44
dsp2003

helios, I was talking about LOSSLESS encoding, not about crap called JPEG.
Old 2009-11-04, 18:37
Regular

Even PNG performs better than LZMA. You can't compare special purpose compression to general purpose compression.