gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2007-10-07, 10:08
Turnsniper

Wow Asceai, did you say that you managed to make ONScripter display 2-byte characters!? Did you hack into ONScripter-EN or the original?

I'm asking because I've been trying to do that for ages, the problem is I'm a translator not a programmer so I had no idea of what I was doing.

I need a version of ONScripter-EN that supports unicode characters from my language, like accented vowels, tilded n and such. If it's not a problem can you send me that modified version you made or at least guide me on what I have to do, I would really appreciate it since this problem has been frustrating me for such a long time.
Old 2007-10-08, 09:21
Unregistered

ONScripter can always display 2-byte characters. It can even do so in single-byte (backtick) mode, given that the offset of the character is even. So you could possibly make it display the right glyphs if you supply the right font.
Old 2007-10-09, 16:42
Visitor

Well I have tried a lot of fonts before and I couldn't make it display those 2-byte characters I need.

I dont understand what you mean by "single-byte (backtick) mode", is there a way to switch modes in ONScripter?
Old 2007-10-10, 06:57

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Lines beginning with ` are marked as single byte script lines in the ONScripter builds insani uses.
Old 2007-11-04, 21:33
dsp2003

All problems with the worldwide languages support for OnScripter is on the way of being solved. ^_____^

It will be a surprise for you all, but Haeleth is working on the Unicode-oriented fork of the OnScripter since the summer of 2007th. The first ready-to-be-released title powered by "Proportional-OnScripter" is "Red Twilight", a Russian translation of the "常世の星空" ("Red Shift" in the Insani's English translation).

Please, don't bug Haeleth about the POnScripter right now, because we (me & zagevalo) haven't released our piece of work yet (there's a few bugs in the engine and they're needed to be fixed).

More info coming soon here:

http://www.dsp2003.narod.ru/red_twilight.htm
Old 2007-11-15, 03:27
dsp2003

Red Twilight has been released. Now you can bug Haeleth about POnScripter... :D
Old 2007-11-15, 10:53
Visitor

Well I tried to mess around a little with this POnScripter but couldnt do much at all. I investigated about this "Red Shift" and I guess you guys modified that experimental Onscripter branch insani used for the game.

I was hoping POnScripter could help with my problem with the unicode characters but couldnt make it to work with my script, does POnScripter have all the functions ONScripter-En has? if so, which are the changes in the command references?
Old 2007-11-15, 11:51
dsp2003

There's a few changes:

1. The script MUST be encoded into UTF-8 instead of Shift-JIS and called 0.utf, not 0.txt (otherwise the backwards-compatibility mode will be activated).

2. The "`" character is not used for 1-byte characters anymore - you must replace it with "^".

Note: unlike "`", the "^" is situable for Unicode characters as well.

3. Ruby & vertical text is not supported anymore.

4. Window coordinates & proportions is now differs from the original (see our script for reference).

5. ;mode800 directive isn't working (due to a bug, you'll have to wait for the Haeleth's release of POnScripter).

6. This is not the modification -- it's a separate dev fork.

Yup, the 2007-07-21 version is not 100% OnScripter replacement, it's an unstable experimental build, unfortunately.

Last edited by dsp2003; 2007-11-15 at 11:56.
Old 2007-11-15, 15:15
Ex-boss

Hee, looks like the cat's out of the bag. :)

Please note that I will not be supporting Ponscripter until I've released it myself. The version used in Red Twilight is already somewhat behind the development version in many respects, and the whole program is still a bit buggy and underdocumented. Use at your own risk.

(In the specific case where Unicode is necessary to display text properly in a given language, I'm willing to offer extremely limited support of the sort I offered dsp2003's team. Drop me an email.)
Old 2007-11-16, 01:12
dsp2003

We're using the outdated revision, yes. And that's not our fault. >_>

A little bug report\request:

1. caption directive doesn't supports unicode characters (shows "?" instead).
2. Where's the MOD\S3M\XM\IT music support (the weight of those is a lot less than MP3\OGG - saves a lot of space and improves the quality of synthesized music)?
3. Do we have to rebuild src every time to translate the built-in menu strings ("Yes"\"No", "Return to Title?" etc.)? It will be a logical to give them a few of script alias. For example:
Quote:
gui_yesno "^Yes","^No"
gui_returntotitle "^Return to Title?"
gui_quit "^Quit?"
gui_months "^Jan", ... ,"^Dec"
...or even allow to substitute a bitmapped buttons and captions! ^_^
Quote:
gui_yesno ":c/2;gui/yes.png",":c/2;gui/no.png"
It's not a useless stuff, it's a must-have simple things (even outdated closed IKURA CDBros engine have those).

No offence, but in the current state POnScripter doesn't looks like an progressive Open Source project at all. :(

Last edited by dsp2003; 2007-11-16 at 01:39.
Old 2007-11-16, 15:12
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Well I still am only 6% into the Higurashi code so I guess I can wait...
Old 2007-11-18, 22:44
dsp2003

Whoops! :-D

Directive ;mode800 is working. The problem is in the Windows-generated UTF-8 files (you'll have to cut out the first 3 bytes from them in an HEX Editor -- BOM header - 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF).
Old 2008-04-01, 07:59
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Let's give this a mighty bump.
I have gotten free time for a few weeks and in that time, I want to finish the first Higurashi game. I am now about 80% done with it.
I have looked a bit around for PONScripter and various versions allowing special characters, but I couldn't find any in a compiled state.
Does anyone know if a release is planned or do I have to learn C++?
Old 2008-04-03, 07:19
dsp2003

Please ask Haeleth... i doubt he'll release the full package in the nearest future (the English version of Narcissu Side 2nd is still w.i.p., doh...) >_>
Old 2009-02-02, 09:08
dsp2003

Will PONScripter be released at least in the current year? T_T Haeleth.... pleeеееееase.... soooo sloooow....