gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-23, 08:02
Obsessive

Default Do your friends watch you play Japanese games?

It's a bit annoying when my friends are watching me play Japanese games and they keep asking me questions because they don't understand anything. I have to interpret for them the dialogue. And having friends watch us play visual novels is not very entertaining either. Nor is explaining to them every line in visual novels. I may even start thinking "damn it, leave me alone, let me play in peace." Have you had similar experiences?
Old 2006-06-23, 08:06
Addicted

Frankly, you should be so lucky to have friends who are interested!
Most of mine give me a funny look when I mention anything anime or manga related, let alone visual novels.
Old 2006-06-23, 08:26
Regular

My friends and sis give me crap (just for fun) for playing visual novels (mostly english ones) but as far as other kinds of games they like to watch me play. I don't know much Japanese so i can only pick out words for them and even then I am wrong half the time :P so usually they act as the official readers of any written translated guide we have found.
Old 2006-06-23, 08:30
Obsessive

One of my friend always complains there are too many english manga which he can't read in my room. He never understands that the reason I buy them is not for his pleasure.

It's not bad to occasionally do different things with him which I wouldn't try to do when I'm alone, though.
Old 2006-06-23, 09:04
Ex-boss

Not visual novels. Touhou games tend to arouse some interest, though.
Old 2006-06-23, 10:02
Shiro

I've never had anyone stand behind me while playing.. but i do get a view people asking me why i play them, you know the usually annoying questions.
Old 2006-06-23, 10:08
Local

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Default buuu

The worst is when they ask every single time "what did they say???" 0_0 it's like shut-up I'm playing. Or "this isn't any fun :( I thought it wuld be like harvest moon"
Old 2006-06-23, 12:00
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
I've never had anyone stand behind me while playing.. but i do get a view people asking me why i play them, you know the usually annoying questions.
Same here. Usually if i start talking about visual novels they poke fun at me. But then a week down the line when it comes up again, and they already know the answer, i poke back saying how much they're already becoming engrossed in the genre thanks to me.

And yes. Touhou attracts much attention. my roomate watched me play it. I sent it to him. he got addicted as well. Same with everyone in my anime club.
Old 2006-06-23, 12:12
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum

Worst case for me was when I first got Duel Savior: Destiny for my PS2. Knowing it was CERO 18+ and it's origins, two of my friends (one fluent in Japanese, the other learning) sat there an pointed out every. single. little. sexually-oriented part in the game >.<! Even worse... my Japanese-literate friend beat it and keeps tormenting me with the memory of a CG dealing with a chimera >.<. The worst part about this is... they are two of the BIGGEST perverts I know!!

Heck, the fluent one translated hentai manga for one of the old manga distributors!! And the other one is so addicted to yaoi we're questioning his sexuality x.x

Mostly they just watched me beat the living tar out of people in the doujin fighting games like Melty Blood or my very personal favorite.. Eternal Fighter Zero! XD

-Rai
Old 2006-06-23, 13:16
adun50

well I don't usually get friends watching me play. most of my friends know that I'm into the whole anime scene and such but don't question me about it when ever they come over. though some ask if I can actually understand what they say in both anime and games. I just tell them that I understand enough to get by and I'm learning as I am going.
Old 2006-06-23, 22:19
Regular

Well, to begin with, I don't have any friends.
Seriously, it's been a long while since I don't see any of my D&D buddies, what with my job and the university and all. And I'm posting on a forum because it's 2 AM and tomorrow's Saturday (not that Saturdays are a free day, I've got a Math Analysis class in the afternoon).

Argh. Enough of my rant.

Back on topic, I remember that whenever I put some animé on the TV my family would usually start mocking the way the japanese talk, "very fast and yelling all the time". When you think about it, there are several animés that are just like that. The characters are always yelling military blurbs at the speed of light.
Old 2006-06-24, 02:35
Regular

My friends got corrupted by me into playing visual novels. It started with Utawaremono, then Fate Stay Night and soon we were somewhat collectively saving money for Himeya shop purchases... problem was who's address do we use?
Old 2006-06-24, 06:37
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ChanF
My friends got corrupted by me into playing visual novels. It started with Utawaremono, then Fate Stay Night and soon we were somewhat collectively saving money for Himeya shop purchases... problem was who's address do we use?

not to mention future custody battles over who gets what game on what weekends ^_^
Old 2006-06-24, 08:38
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Toxic

Nope, never. They don't even know that I play them.
Old 2006-06-24, 09:09
Local

Send a message via ICQ to Billhead Send a message via Yahoo to Billhead

Most people just roll their eyes when I start to play, at first my little brothers will start watching then get bored because "They aren't moving".