gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-10-30, 13:17
Regular

Default Figures of Happiness Question

Hello, everyone. I have a question for those of you who possess the initial English pressing of Figures of Happiness:

The copy of Figures I ordered a short while ago arrived earlier this week. After examining the package, I have a nagging suspicion that I received a fake. The back of the package looks nothing like the one posted on J-List's site -- the synopsis on the back of the box is in awkward English, the screenshots almost exclusively focus on the sex scenes, and there is a security hologram beside the game's two barcodes (which none of my other G-Collections titles have). The serial number on the spine doesn't follow convention, either.

On the other hand, I know that the game was reprinted after the VirtualMate backlash, so it's possible that I simply have the original pressing of the game; the text "Internet Connection Required" is on both the front and the back of the case insert. Would it be possible for someone who owns an actual copy of the game to scan and upload the real insert so I can confirm whether or not my copy is authentic? The scan doesn't need to be print-quality; I just need to be able to read the text and identify the screenshots.

I've already sent a similar message to JAST, but several days have passed and I have yet to receive a response. I need to know as soon as possible if I should send this copy back and get a replacement from the same retailer or another source.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TDOMMX; 2009-10-30 at 13:19.
Old 2009-10-30, 16:40

As far as I know FoH never was reprinted... the only version available was the original version G-Collections did that has V-Mate on the disc... the title never sold enough copies for warrant a remaster with v-mate removed. The only version that has v-mate removed is the digital DL copy.

I bought a copy from Right Stuf and they sent me the original version... after going thru some emails with them and J-List/Peach Princess I was told that there was no hardcopy version with V-Mate removed.

That was a 6? months before the game went DL only. I am pretty sure they wouldnt of remastered it without V-mate.

I ended up returning the copy I got for a refund...
Old 2009-10-30, 19:29
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiePage View Post
As far as I know FoH never was reprinted... the only version available was the original version G-Collections did that has V-Mate on the disc... the title never sold enough copies for warrant a remaster with v-mate removed. The only version that has v-mate removed is the digital DL copy.

I bought a copy from Right Stuf and they sent me the original version... after going thru some emails with them and J-List/Peach Princess I was told that there was no hardcopy version with V-Mate removed.

That was a 6? months before the game went DL only. I am pretty sure they wouldnt of remastered it without V-mate.

I ended up returning the copy I got for a refund...
Maybe the art on Jlist is just for download info?

Mine says "Internet Connection Required" on the front and back (but has a sticker directing me to go get the patch to remove V-mate). May or may not have had a hologram, I've seen them on other English games so its not notable.

My cover looks more like this with more green and no vista mentioned (unlke that photo mine has the "Internet Connection Required" logo as well) than it matches the art on Jlist. Too bad its in another state right now..
Old 2009-10-31, 15:58
Regular

Thanks, jyuichi & BettiePage.

Though I don't mean to doubt you, a quick Google Image Search turns up three variations of the English box art (the version I received looks like this). Assuming that JAST redid the boxart as a "print your own insert" pack-in for the DDL / Vista version, that leaves at least one version of unknown origin.

Anyway, here's a quick list of the things on the back that struck me as odd:
- Different screenshot CGs (focusing primarily on the sex scenes instead of the story scenes)
- Different synopsis text (both content and font / layout, worded somewhat awkwardly)
- Different Adults Only warning (all the GC titles I have use a variant of this icon, not a slashed red box)
- Different serial number (GC titles are "GC-xxx" where xxx is the title's 3-digit catalog number - the suspected fake's serial is 11 digits including hyphens)
- Different UPC barcode (GC titles all start with 6-52823), plus a second barcode of unknown purpose (GC titles only have one)

Upon closer inspection, the hologram I mentioned is actually a sticker, though I can't tell if it's placed directly on the insert or on the game case. Either way, it's inside the shrink-wrap and contains two kanji that I can't quite make out.

Come to think of it, when did Private Nurse and Figures of Happiness actually go out of print? I often batch order visual novels from the publishers directly to cut down on shipping and customs. By the time I was ready to place my order this time around, the games were only available as download versions. I had to go through Amazon to find the games, and many of the orders I had placed were canceled because the retailers were out-of-stock (...people really shouldn't list an item as "In Stock" when that clearly isn't the case...).