gemot encubed

gemot encubed (http://forums.novelnews.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.novelnews.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   [IRC] Gathering talent in one place (http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=35455)

Agilis 2008-07-18 10:48

[IRC] Gathering talent in one place

When it comes to translation projects, I refuse to work with people I'm not familiar with. Reputation, personality, in addition to talent are extremely important. The problem is it's hard to get that information first hand if everyone's just a release page and a resume. It's also hard to build the momentum needed to get a project started in a vacuum.

So, today I've started a new IRC channel, #denpa on irc.synirc.net. What I'd like is to gather as many people who actually work on projects, those who would want to work on projects, those who think "maybe I can do something, if I knew how/what", into one room. That way, if someone goes "Hrm, this looks interesting and I want to do it" everyone else in the room can go "Oh, that's interesting, and since I know you, maybe I can help with this".

Everyone else in the general public is welcome to wander in, chatter, lurk, whatever. Think of it as a casual hangout where potential staff members chatter about moe, games, books, weather, etc. Get to know random staffers from random projects, show off this or that, and so on.

The only rule I want to enforce is "Don't be a jackass."
Disagreements and debates, all that is natural, but being a jackass isn't.
Flamers and distruptive people will meet Hiyorin's magic hammer.

Asceai 2008-07-18 14:30

I don't know if I actually fit under any of those categories, but what the hell, I like IRC. =P

Kealdrea 2008-07-18 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agilis (Post 58684)
Everyone else in the general public is welcome to wander in, chatter, lurk, whatever. Think of it as a casual hangout where potential staff members chatter about moe, games, books, weather, etc. Get to know random staffers from random projects, show off this or that, and so on.

Yay, finally a Visual Novel-related IRC that isn't 100% staff only. n.n I'll lurk/chat as soon as I figure out how to work mIRC...

2008-07-19 02:24

O.o gah, you mean I'll have to start actually USING IRC? drats. Maybe it's being in a Japanese Dorm, but I've been having a lot of problems accessing any IRC network lately.

zalas 2008-07-19 11:45

Have you tried mibbit?

Unregistered 2008-07-19 13:58

Any particular reason why you chose synirc?

Not that there's anything wrong with that server, but I'm just wondering why you chose that one...

2008-07-19 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalas (Post 58703)
Have you tried mibbit?

Never heard of that. What is it?

Agilis 2008-07-19 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58704)
Any particular reason why you chose synirc?

Not that there's anything wrong with that server, but I'm just wondering why you chose that one...

Mmm. In a word, legacy.

It just happened that I was on that server for the past year or two, and I'm on a few channels on there, so out of pure inertia and legacy, I use synirc. It's not like I use any advanced IRC features other than some channel permissions and auto-ops, so one server is more or less like any other.

On a side note, for being up all of 2 days we've picked up over twenty members. Now I just have to start contacting staff people I happen to know exist to see if they'd like to drop in.

zalas 2008-07-19 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kouryuu (Post 58705)
Never heard of that. What is it?

It's an AJAX based client that can connect to IRC. It might work better than a standalone IRC client if your HTTP connections are fairly stable.

2008-07-20 01:29

Looks fine, if you do trust them in respecting their privacy policies.
Just my paranoid 2cts.

Shii 2008-07-20 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasqual Twilight (Post 58712)
Looks fine, if you do trust them in respecting their privacy policies.
Just my paranoid 2cts.

Better Synirc than... you know... the "other network".

Asceai 2008-07-20 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shii (Post 58713)
Better Synirc than... you know... the "other network".

I think Rasqual was talking more about mibbit than synirc. And I feel the same way about mibbit, personally. Not _too_ worried about IRC (wtf are they going to do with my nickserv account?), but I wouldn't IM with it.

2008-07-20 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalas (Post 58708)
It's an AJAX based client that can connect to IRC. It might work better than a standalone IRC client if your HTTP connections are fairly stable.

=/ I'll be honest, don't know what AJAX is other than a bathtub/toilet cleaner. However my Http connections work dandy, never have a problem. Don't worry about it though, I'll just pop on once I get back to the states since I leave in a few weeks.

Serrklieth 2008-07-20 11:10

I say if you're using Firefox, why not use ChatZilla? I've found no problems, and it's easy to use... and I hardly ever use IRC.

Unregistered 2008-07-20 13:21

I think this is an excellent idea. I'm an outsider to the translation scene (thinking of maaaybe one day joining), but it's always seemed to fragmented to me. Trying to put people in one place is a good effort.

I'll just throw out a couple of points that came to mind when reading your OP, which shouldn't neccessarily be taken as criticism:
- For a channel I you are hoping to be known far and wide as the defacto venue for the translation scene, #denpa seems a bit... forgettable? I guess this wont be a problem if it's advertised on NovelNews or somewhere.
- There seems to be lots of intelligent people who hate realtime chat of any kind, but are comfortable with forums. Perhaps a sister sub-forum on this site?
- I've never heard of Synirc, but I've witnessed many networks come and go... is this another new one that is going to make everyone re-group in a couple of years when it gets DDoSed? :P

This anonymous will hop on shortly.

Unregistered 2008-07-20 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58718)
- For a channel I you are hoping to be known far and wide as the defacto venue for the translation scene, #denpa seems a bit... forgettable?

But, but, but... denpa-kei rule!

Quote:

I guess this wont be a problem if it's advertised on NovelNews or somewhere.
Crossposted in the MT forums and the RAML. Perhaps the PP boards as well if the mods give their permission.

Agilis 2008-07-20 14:07

Quote:

I'll just throw out a couple of points that came to mind when reading your OP, which shouldn't neccessarily be taken as criticism:

Since you raise valid points...

Quote:

- For a channel I you are hoping to be known far and wide as the defacto venue for the translation scene, #denpa seems a bit... forgettable? I guess this wont be a problem if it's advertised on NovelNews or somewhere.

Eh, it would've taken too much effort to come up with a grand all-encompassing name that covers the scope and vision of the room. I mean, how can you lump "gathering place of VN-interested talent where they learn about each other and support/train each other, and once in awhile a new project might be born there" into a single word.

So instead, I just picked a word that had a bit of internal joke value among my small group of friends, denpa, vaguely in the sense of "the influence of the hellfire kitty will spread out and affect people magically (into doing VN projects)" ... or somesuch. A name is as much what you build with it anyways, so I didn't bother trying too hard.

That does remind me I should plop this onto novelnews...

Quote:

- There seems to be lots of intelligent people who hate realtime chat of any kind, but are comfortable with forums. Perhaps a sister sub-forum on this site?

For the interim, we might borrow the gemot forums for some basic stuff. There might be a need for a little web-based scratch space (I don't really want a full powered wiki, but something simple along those lines) to post more detailed announcements/project proposals/drinking party invitations. Possibly a short updatable roster of people, so newcomers can figure out who has what credentials at a glance. All this stuff winds up being dry information, resumes before the interview over a beer, so to speak.

The core goal of #denpa is to get to know one another, so I'd like to minimize any administrative crap that makes it intimidating. Come in, relax, talk shop, make a friend or ten, go home happy and wanting to come back. That's how it should be, and I'll crack the heads of anyone who tries to go against that sentiment.

Quote:

- I've never heard of Synirc, but I've witnessed many networks come and go... is this another new one that is going to make everyone re-group in a couple of years when it gets DDoSed? :P

As I understand it, Synirc was created after some ircops at zirc got into some kind of disagreement and split. What the details are, I don't know, and don't particularly care. I haven't particularly seen any issues with DDoS, availablity, etc. in the past 1-2 years I've been there, so good enough for me. If we have to move because of "issues" we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Unregistered 2008-07-20 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agilis (Post 58721)
There might be a need for a little web-based scratch space (I don't really want a full powered wiki, but something simple along those lines) to post more detailed announcements/project proposals/drinking party invitations.

Ruu~ Party 2009? ;)

Asceai 2008-07-20 14:30

The only thing about synirc is that I've seen it netsplit in my short stay, which.. isn't really a good sign. Hopefully that was just a million-to-one chance.

zalas 2008-07-20 16:33

Pretty much all the networks I've been on have undergone netsplits, and you might have just happened to chance upon a synirc one. Generally, it doesn't split nearly as much as irchighway or rizon in my opinion, but that totally depends on server load and current set of operators, I guess. Last time I was on an irc "network" that didn't split was a single server one <_<;

Asceai 2008-07-20 16:42

Well, the one I most often use (espernet) used to be bad with netsplits, but it's been pretty great for the past couple years. Very stable.

Spitze 2008-07-21 08:38

I offer my services as graphics editor.

Asceai 2008-07-21 11:36

Ooh? If so, I might have a thing for you!!

Spitze 2008-07-21 17:28

Just give me the translation and I'm good to go.

Asceai 2008-07-21 18:05

Well, I'll also have to figure out some method for converting the images into something that preserves transparency first, but sure.

drmchsr0 2008-07-23 13:50

Nuuuuuuu

I has been denpa'd ;-;

Reikon 2008-07-23 23:05

I'll stay in there for a bit and see how it is. I usually don't like IRC. Too many idiots and drama.

At least it's convenient with the built-in IRC in Opera.

Tobias 2008-07-25 16:34

Hi everyone, I'm the main translator for the umineko project (though Im being pretty lazy for the moment and letting an underling do a lot of work).

Anyway.

I was refered here by the sonozaki twins taking care of the higurashi project, and I'd like to say that a forum like this one sounds a lot better to me - I never managed to figure out IRC, and I don't like chatting. This entire thing sounds like a great idea, I'll stay posted.

Agilis 2008-07-29 09:24

For those who wanted a forum, #denpa now has a forum counterpart here at the gemot. We're in the production forum now. Suitable threads from general discussion will probably be moved over in due time.

The forum is slightly more formal (that is, more on-topic) than the IRC channel is because we want to make a clear distinction between General Discussion and the Production forums. We don't want to suddenly splinter the gemot with a group that only looks at one but not the other.

So keep your socializing and general discussion here, bring your more work-related discussion and stuff to the new forum.