PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Da Capo .mes files


DarkMirage
2006-08-19, 00:05
I am starting a translation project for D.C. II but I can't figure out how to extract the scripts from the .mes files.

I have read what roxfan (http://forums.haeleth.net/viewtopic.php?t=336&highlight=mes&sid=418f98a2e96c22d38cc2a8554b1160ff) posted in this thread about D.C.P.C. and played around with XOR and shifting in Hex Workshop, but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. >_< My e-mail is "nadesico REMOVEME at gmail dot com" if you need to contact me privately.

DarkMirage
2006-08-21, 03:03
Well, Soulshift from rizon has solved that problem for me. He created an .exe file that can convert and format the .mes files into text such as this:

&#91;b5&#93; &#123;&#123; それは一面を色づけるように、&#125;&#125; &#91;/b5&#93;

&#91;b6&#93; &#123;&#123; 白で塗りつぶされた世界を彩るように、&#125;&#125; &#91;/b6&#93;

&#91;b7&#93; &#123;&#123; ただゆったりと舞い踊っていた。&#125;&#125; &#91;/b7&#93;

&#91;b8&#93; &#123;&#123; それはとても綺麗で、&#125;&#125; &#91;/b8&#93;

And to convert similarly formatted files back into .mes.

Now the problem is that the game doesn't really support half width characters.

http://www.darkmirage.com/images/temp/dcIIb.jpg

Full width characters work fine but they still have the ugly spacings between them. And it's kind of stupid for the translators to type out the whole English text in full width characters.

Does anyone know what the DCPC project (http://shii.org/translate/dcpc/) did to fix the font issue in their alpha patch?

2006-08-21, 15:36
This is just pure guesswork, but it seems likely that they would have patched the executable to handle single-byte characters.

Try downloading the engine that they used, and see if that solves your problem.

roxfan
2006-08-24, 14:42
You know, you could have just emailed/PMed me instead of doing all the work over again.
Yes, I had to patch the exe (add some code, thankfully not much) for proper half-width text support. All Circus games seem to suffer from this bug. I beleive ChocoEd had to do more work for True Tears, though I guess I did point him in right direction.

P.S. and someone is already working on DCII (the demo at least).

ChocoEd
2006-08-24, 15:06
I beleive ChocoEd had to do more work for True Tears, though I guess I did point him in right direction.
Yup, True Tears needed quite a few tweaks to the executable to support half-width characters (we shipped version 28 of our EXE, if that tells you anything) as well as replacement font files and some script reprocessing... I learned quite a bit about assembly during that project, and roxfan's pointers were invaluable. :)