PDA

View Full Version : Technical stuff

Eien Ni Hen
2006-07-15, 21:49
I was wondering if someone could help me out with NScripter and Onscripter a bit. I've gotten so far as dumping my script with NSDESC and extracting the images/music from the arc file, but I'm a little stuck on re-inserting everything. Could someone maybe give me a basic explanation of how it's done and how Onscripter fits into the process?

I did download Red Shift, one of the demo projects, but all it did was confuse me and make me feel horribly inadequate. ;) Sorry to ask such dumb questions and not do it myself, but please keep in mind I have a very limited knowledge of programming. Normally I would mess around with these programs more, but I don't have that kind of time. TIA and happy translating. :)

AstCd2
2006-07-15, 22:46
I was wondering if someone could help me out with NScripter and Onscripter a bit. I've gotten so far as dumping my script with NSDESC and extracting the images/music from the arc file, but I'm a little stuck on re-inserting everything. Could someone maybe give me a basic explanation of how it's done and how Onscripter fits into the process?

Going on my vague recollections from last year (corrections on this would be welcome!), you need to:

1. Use 'nsaarc' to recompile your sound/image/etc data back into an .arc file.

2. Use 'nscmake' to turn your translated script (which should be called '0.txt') back into a new 'nscript.dat'.

Both 'nsaarc' and 'nscmake' can be found in insani's development kit. Once you've done this, you should be able to play the game by:

1. Using your two new files to overwrite their Japanese equivalents in the original game directory.

2. Copying the ONScripter files into the game directory.

3. Running ONScripter.

By the way, is that Michael Jackson in your avatar? =P

Misu
2006-07-16, 00:21
Alternatively, if you want to focus soley on translating and not worry about the coding side of things, you could do a joint project wtih someone who knows ONScripter.

If you want to do that route, I wouldn't mind doing the ONScripter portions of your project for you. If you interested, PM me.

ChocoEd
2006-07-16, 05:33
Also note that for testing purposes you barely need to do anything... ONScripter will happily read the 0.txt files directly, and can also deal with unextracted versions of the files from the archive (just drop the subfolders from the arc into the current directory, or put them in a "data" directory if they're just loose files). It's very handy for the iterative translation process to not have to keep rebuilding everything whenever you change a line.

Eien Ni Hen
2006-07-16, 07:22
So far I have all the technical kinks worked out except one. So on to my next question. What are my options as far as text re-insertion? I've already come across two problems: the English text just not showing up and the text showing up but without any spaces. Is there a specific command I need to utilize?

Oh, and...

By the way, is that Michael Jackson in your avatar? =P

I see how it could be confusing, as he's not female with huge eyes, but that's Dr. Nusakan from Saga Frontier.

Haeleth
2006-07-16, 07:33
Yep. This is the not-well-documented bit. Precede each line of English text with a backtick:
`Your script should look like this.@
`Every line needs one.\
For menus, you can use spaces if you enclose text in backticks instead of quotes:
; Kira's right-click menu
rmenu `Save`,save,`Load`,load,`Hide window`,windowerase,`Return to title`,reset

JRaiKetchum
2006-07-16, 07:46
Yep. This is the not-well-documented bit. Precede each line of English text with a backtick:
`Your script should look like this.@
`Every line needs one.\
For menus, you can use spaces if you enclose text in backticks instead of quotes:
; Kira's right-click menu
rmenu `Save`,save,`Load`,load,`Hide window`,windowerase,`Return to title`,reset
I was just playing around with that and about ready to ask... thanks! ^^

gp32
2006-07-16, 07:47
Also note that you will probably want to mess around with the setwindow class of commands for optimal text display.

Feel free to contact me if you have further problems or discover errata.

ChocoEd
2006-07-18, 18:43
ONScripter will happily read the 0.txt files directly, and can also deal with unextracted versions of the files from the archive (just drop the subfolders from the arc into the current directory, or put them in a "data" directory if they're just loose files).
I should clarify this. If you drop loose files in a "data" directory, you need to update the filenames in the script to point to data/foo.jpg and so forth. That is, ONScripter will look for files in the current directory unless told otherwise.

Shii
2006-08-12, 14:26
To early.Now there's some subversive spamming. You should probably block this account or it will continue to stumble around like a zombie and post nonsense everywhere.