PDA

View Full Version : Guide to installing the Planetarian patch to the CD edition

2006-06-06, 16:02
ABSTRACT:

Below are instructions for installing the insani planetarian patch to the CD edition of planetarian. While there are easier ways to get a working, English patched, voiced copy of planetarian, they all involve piracy or buying the DRMed edition.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Install Planetarian from the CD
2) Download rldev and extract it somewhere. I assume you are on windows, so this (http://dev.haeleth.net/rldev/rldev-1.39-win32.rar) is the file you want.
3) Using 7-zip (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14481&package_id=29413), open up the Planetarian patch .exe file, and extract the KINETICDATA directory somewhere (preferably, someplace easy to type).
4) Save the batch file below as cdpatch.bat and place it in the directory you installed planetarian into.
5) Open up a dos window by going Start > Run... and entering the command "cmd"
6) You will now be at a dos prompt. Type the following commands:

> cd C:\KEY\planetarian_PE

(Substitute the directory you installed Planetarian into above, if different)

> cdpatch C:\KINETICDATA C:\rldev-1.39-win32-1

(Substitute the location of your KINETICDATA and rldev installation above)
cdpatch will complain if any of its preconditions are violated. Otherwise, it should say "Patching complete."
7) You should be able to run the game simply by clicking on REALLIVE.exe in the directory you installed planetarian into.

THE SCRIPT: cdpatch.bat

@echo off

IF "%1"=="" GOTO ERR_USAGE
IF "%2"=="" GOTO ERR_USAGE

IF NOT EXIST GAMEEXE.INI GOTO ERR_WRONGDIR
IF NOT EXIST %1/SEEN0001.TXT GOTO ERR_NOPATCH
IF NOT EXIST %2/bin/kprl.exe GOTO ERR_NORLDEV
IF EXIST KINETICDATA GOTO ERR_RLISWEIRD

echo Copying game graphical resources from patch to installation...
XCOPY /Y /q %1\G00\* G00
XCOPY /Y /q %1\MANUAL\* MANUAL
XCOPY /Y /q %1\SYS\* SYS
XCOPY /Y /q %1\SYS\img\* SYS\img

mkdir kepago
set RLDEV=%2

echo Decompiling original patch...
FOR %%f IN (%1\SEEN????.TXT) DO %2\bin\kprl -d -t Kinetic -o kepago %%f

echo Recompiling patch for RealLive...
echo (The compiler will give warnings about targets. This is normal.)
FOR %%f in (kepago\SEEN????.ke) DO %2\bin\rlc -t RealLive %%f

echo Copying RealLive patch back into planetarian installation
XCOPY /Y /Q kepago\SEEN????.TXT %CD%

echo Patching complete.
GOTO :QUIT

:ERR_NOPATCH
echo Error: %1 does not appear to be the KINETICDATA directory from the
echo original patch.
GOTO :ERR_USAGE

:ERR_NORLDEV
echo Error: %2 does not appear to be the root directory of an rldev
echo install.

:ERR_RLISWEIRD
echo You appear to have placed the KINETICDATA directory in the same
echo directory you installed Planetarian to. This confuses the RealLive
echo system. Please move the KINETICDATA directory and try again.

:ERR_WRONGDIR
echo You appear to have put me in a directory other then where Planetarian
echo is installed. Please move me and try again.

:ERR_USAGE
echo Usage: cdpatch (KINETICDATA directory) (rldev directory)

:QUIT

ISSUES:

Since this script only decompiles and recompiles the original patch for the RealLive system, it has a number of deficinies, all of which would be solved by a modified patch created for the CD edition of planetarian.

1) Every time you start up Reallive.exe, an error message about patchui.exe will occur. It is safe to ignore this.
2) There are issues regarding pagination and word wrapping, though these are minor and do not cause the text to be illegible.
3) There are issues regarding Reverie's voice when there is a pause ("\p") in her spoken lines. This is the exact same problem as first noticed by dg1 in the main Planetarian boxed edition thread.
4) There currently exists an unidentified bug in its self-diagnostic subroutines. Its backup CMOS battery is depleted and must be replaced. It cannot establish communications with the support center...

This patch is entirely unsupported.

another guest
2006-06-29, 15:53
it's also worth noting that if you copy the patchui.exe and patchui.dat to the planetarian folder it will give you translated right click menus as well as remove the patchui error message.

another guest
2006-06-29, 16:04
here is a modified batch that has it automatically copy the patchui over for you.

@echo off

IF "%1"=="" GOTO ERR_USAGE
IF "%2"=="" GOTO ERR_USAGE

IF NOT EXIST GAMEEXE.INI GOTO ERR_WRONGDIR
IF NOT EXIST %1/SEEN0001.TXT GOTO ERR_NOPATCH
IF NOT EXIST %2/bin/kprl.exe GOTO ERR_NORLDEV
IF EXIST KINETICDATA GOTO ERR_RLISWEIRD

echo Copying game graphical resources from patch to installation...
XCOPY /Y /q %1\G00\* G00
XCOPY /Y /q %1\MANUAL\* MANUAL
XCOPY /Y /q %1\SYS\* SYS
XCOPY /Y /q %1\SYS\img\* SYS\img
XCOPY /Y /q %1\patchui.??? %CD%

mkdir kepago
set RLDEV=%2

echo Decompiling original patch...
FOR %%f IN (%1\SEEN????.TXT) DO %2\bin\kprl -d -t Kinetic -o kepago %%f

echo Recompiling patch for RealLive...
echo (The compiler will give warnings about targets. This is normal.)
FOR %%f in (kepago\SEEN????.ke) DO %2\bin\rlc -t RealLive %%f

echo Copying RealLive patch back into planetarian installation

echo Patching complete.

:ERR_NOPATCH
echo Error: %1 does not appear to be the KINETICDATA directory from the
echo original patch.

:ERR_NORLDEV
echo Error: %2 does not appear to be the root directory of an rldev
echo install.

:ERR_RLISWEIRD
echo You appear to have placed the KINETICDATA directory in the same
echo directory you installed Planetarian to. This confuses the RealLive
echo system. Please move the KINETICDATA directory and try again.

:ERR_WRONGDIR
echo You appear to have put me in a directory other then where Planetarian
echo is installed. Please move me and try again.

:ERR_USAGE
echo Usage: cdpatch (KINETICDATA directory) (rldev directory)

:QUIT
[/code]

The OP Guest
2006-06-29, 19:51
I might note that I deliberately didn't copy over patchui.exe because as I understood it, it messed with the internal memory layout of Kinetic...and the CD edition ran in RealLive. I then assumed that the memory layout between Kinetic and RealLive would be different...and would lead to the possibility of segfaulting RealLive.

I suppose I shouldn't have been so presumptuous. Thank you.

Haeleth
2006-06-30, 05:03
Rather than poking known locations, patchui scans the game's memory for the strings it wants to change (which is why it causes problems on old computers). This implementation was chosen as the simplest way to handle the multiple interpreters used by different releases of the game. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that it continues to work with new versions. :)

marus
2006-07-03, 20:50
I've made a modified english patch for the voiced version of Planetarain that fixes all of the problems with word wrapping and the pauses in Reverie's voice, as well as translates the additions to the Music Mode and the Credits. There's still some editing to do before I'd call it releasable, but besides that it's complete. So anyways, I'm just wondering how many people would find this patch useful. If someone wants it, then I'll release it once I finish editing and I find a way to host it.

Also, since I'm using a lot of their work, if either Insani or Haeleth doesn't want me releasing this, then I won't.

gp32
2006-07-04, 07:04
As I have stated in other threads, insani categorically does not condone the creation of a CD patch using our translation.

micpp
2006-07-04, 16:09
Hmm... I could be wrong but the license for the Planetarian translation patch seems to indicate that modifying the script is OK, as long as it is clearly marked as being modified.
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Script or any portion
of it, thus forming works based on the Content, and distribute
such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above,
provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent
notices stating that you changed it, the exact nature and
content of the changes, and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that
in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Script or
any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to
all third parties under the terms of this License, unless
otherwise permitted under applicable Fair Use law.

vampiresaru
2006-07-04, 17:13
gp32 didn't say he forbids you from releasing it... he just doesn't like the idea. There has been enough pirating (and lying about said pirating) of the non voiced version as it is. This is just my take from what little I have talked with him but I think it's a pretty reasonable conclusion.

You could still release it but please respect that it doesn't sit well with the translation authors before making the decision.

gp32
2006-07-04, 17:15
vampiresaru is correct.

marus
2006-07-04, 21:22
Alright then, if gp32 doesn't want me releasing it, then I'll just keep the patch to myself.

Leo_Otaku
2006-08-17, 22:46
sorry to be all annoying and newbish. But I can't seem to install mine :( I bought the voiced PC version and would like to try the patch on it, but it is being a complete annoyance to do >.<

Do I need to change the language settings before I can download it from the CD? It doesn't want to work >.<

2006-08-18, 06:16
if you give me some better description of what problem you are having I might be able to help.

proteenx11
2006-10-13, 06:51
Does anyone know how he(Marcus) fixed those issues?

I'd be really interested to find out(As I was silly enough to buy a copy of Planetarian when I visited Akihabara (Electronics District in Tokyo) without first checking if it was compatible with the english patch).

EDIT:
{ Oh, and thanks a million times over to the people who made this thread, and especially the people who translated this wonderful game into English in the first place.
It's people like you, who make people like me want to be a part of this community. }

micpp
2006-10-13, 15:06
[quote="proteenx11"]Does anyone know how he(Marcus) fixed those issues?/quote]

My guess is he extracted the script from the retail version, compared it with the script from the patch, and then modified the patch's script to reflect differences in the retail script. At least, that's how I'd do it, and my vague investigating of RealLive scripts suggests it wouldn't be too hard.

proteenx11
2006-10-13, 15:55
I'm completely new to the whole "playing around with visual novels" scene, how would I extract the scripts so I could check and modify them?

And are you talking about him checking character length or spacing or something(between the retail Japanese and the translated english)?

Also, how would I get rid of those pauses in the voicing?
The text is a small thing that I can live with, but the stopping of the voicing really gets on my nerves...

I would just go and buy an online copy, except I spent 3 hours last night, and couldn't find where to buy one, and then read on the forum that they had changed and most people were having more trouble than I am with my Retail copy.

marus
2006-10-14, 21:43
First off, to extract the script you're gonna want to get rldev. You can download it on Haeleth's site, but I don't like writing really long posts so I'll leave you to figure out how to use it yourself (or maybe someone nicer will help you). For fixing the pauses, well, you can probably figure it out yourself by comparing the scripts. Telling you would ruin all the fun!

I'm wondering though, is this your first time reading Planetarian? If so, then just reading through the script file as you're working on a patch would ruin the experience. You might want to consider getting the download version and reading that first, then afterwards working through the voice version if you still feel like it.

proteenx11
2006-10-15, 02:39
Thanks for the help!

I read through Planetarian for the first time anyway, and just ignored the little things(Its rather good isn't it? I was impressed by the translation).

I'll take a look into RlDev, I still haven't actually managed to work out what it does, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I wouldn't mind getting a download version on top of the version I already have, although I hear they are having problems with the new version of that too...

Thanks again,

Unregistered
2007-03-17, 21:48
Hello, I realise that this thread may no longer be active, but if anyone sees this cud they please hel me out?
when i typed in the second command line this turned up:

'cdpatch' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

the whole thing looks like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\He> cd F:\KEY\planetarian_PE

C:\Documents and Settings\He> cdpatch O:\KINETICDATA O:\rldev-1.39-win32

cud someone tell me what went wrong, please?

fireshark
2007-05-28, 15:43
Copy the big box from the first post and save it as cdpatch.bat
________
Top portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

Enerccio
2008-05-12, 07:16
Just in case, someone can't upload corrected seen.txt to correct voices?
I am no expert in rldev and since I got my CD version, I would like to have it without voice pauses... Thanks in advance.

Unregistered
2008-06-01, 23:25
Hello, I realise that this thread may no longer be active, but if anyone sees this cud they please hel me out?
when i typed in the second command line this turned up:

the whole thing looks like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\He> cd F:\KEY\planetarian_PE

C:\Documents and Settings\He> cdpatch O:\KINETICDATA O:\rldev-1.39-win32

cud someone tell me what went wrong, please?

I am having the same problem and I have cdpatch.bat inside the same directory I've installed Planetarian in.

Enerccio
2008-06-02, 06:07
is your path in the same directory swell?

Unregistered
2008-06-02, 07:55
Thanks Enericco. For some reason I thought the directories would change.

Enerccio
2008-06-02, 09:21
np, commandlines works that way, heh
glad to help

Unregistered
2008-06-02, 13:33
I've finally had time to play it and when I launched the game and got into it I found out only the menus were translated.

G:\Program Files\KEY\planetarian_PE>cdpatch G:\Share\KINETICDATA G:\Share\rldev-
1.39-win32

G:\Program Files\KEY\planetarian_PE>・ソ
'・ソ' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Copying game graphical resources from patch to installation...
88 File(s) copied
7 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
2 File(s) copied
A subdirectory or file kepago already exists.
Decompiling original patch...
Recompiling patch for RealLive...
(The compiler will give warnings about targets. This is normal.)
Warning (SEEN0001.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN1000.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN1003.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN1005.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN1006.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN9030.ke line 5): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN9032.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN9033.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Warning (SEEN9040.ke line 6): target specified on command-line: ignoring
#target directive.
Copying RealLive patch back into planetarian installation
Invalid number of parameters
Patching complete.

G:\Program Files\KEY\planetarian_PE>

What am I doing wrong?

Unregistered
2008-06-20, 08:30
So, I was going through, and comparing the scripts like suggested, and it was pretty easy going (tedious, yes, but easy). Compare files, transfer lines from patch .sjs and .ke files over to the correspondings CD ones. However, when I got to the Planetarium Projection scenes, I noticed that a couple of paragraphs from the patched translation had no corresponding location in the CD files. I thought that the paragraphs were worth keeping, as they were descriptive, and I was surprised that they'd been cut, so I went about trying to do that.

First I tried adding additional <????> blocks and calls, but I clearly didn't know enough real-live to make them work properly, as when I compiled and tested, it didn't work. (Is this sort of stuff in that extremely lengthy manual, or do you just pick it up by trial and error?)

Currently I've hacked something together by compressing them all into a single entry and appending them before or after a surrounding text chunk, preserving the original page spacings and pauses with liberal usage of \n and \p. While it seems to work fine, it's somewhat unsatisfying, as I get the feeling it's not really the best way. Maybe it is though, or good enough to make no real difference. :S

Does anyone have any real insight they could share?

fate4life
2008-11-13, 15:30
Hi everyone i'm new here,
I found this thread and i am stuck at the part:
where i need to type
> cdpatch C:\KINETICDATA C:\rldev-1.39-win32-1

but it comes up with
Error: C:\rldev-1.39-win32-1 does not appear to be the root directory of an rldev install.

this is the right directory where i extracted the original rldev-1.39-win32 (.rar file)

Any help would be most appreciated
Thanks!

jyuichi
2008-11-13, 18:33
Try redownloading and extracting RLDev to C:\rldev-1.39-win32 or where ever.

I prefer to just name the folder C:\rldev so I can type it easier but each to her own.

fate4life
2008-11-13, 19:59
i tried that but it still doesnt work, any other suggestions?

fate4life
2008-11-13, 20:08
nevermind, i got it to work now
Thanks alot jyuichi

Proto
2009-08-10, 16:05
I just received my key memorial box today, and the first game I tried was planetarian. I arrived to this thread when searching a way to run the CD edition. After copying the necessary files from the translation archive, the game runs up, but I get the error related to the patchui. The problem is that if I copy the patchui files from the translation archive, after I fire the application up it enters some sort of infinite loop in that it tries to reload this patchui file and can never get past this. Has anyone run or met a similar problem to this one? (And if I don't copy the patchui files it just fails to start up at all).

Alternatively, what are those files for? Maybe from that I can figure out a workaround.

Komari
2009-08-20, 15:54
I just received my key memorial box today, and the first game I tried was planetarian. I arrived to this thread when searching a way to run the CD edition. After copying the necessary files from the translation archive, the game runs up, but I get the error related to the patchui. The problem is that if I copy the patchui files from the translation archive, after I fire the application up it enters some sort of infinite loop in that it tries to reload this patchui file and can never get past this. Has anyone run or met a similar problem to this one? (And if I don't copy the patchui files it just fails to start up at all).

Alternatively, what are those files for? Maybe from that I can figure out a workaround.
I'm also having that issue. The dialog just keeps reloading itself and won't let you get past the first screen.

ultimateT
2009-08-24, 22:40
First off, to extract the script you're gonna want to get rldev. You can download it on Haeleth's site, but I don't like writing really long posts so I'll leave you to figure out how to use it yourself (or maybe someone nicer will help you). For fixing the pauses, well, you can probably figure it out yourself by comparing the scripts. Telling you would ruin all the fun!

I'm wondering though, is this your first time reading Planetarian? If so, then just reading through the script file as you're working on a patch would ruin the experience. You might want to consider getting the download version and reading that first, then afterwards working through the voice version if you still feel like it.

I've managed to fix the wrapping problem with a simple :%s/\\n\n\s\s/\\n/g (regex rules!) in vim for the decompiled SEEN files. (Also won't spoil story ;D) As for the voices, it's still well beyond me, looking at all the offsets and resource calls. It seems like RealLive doesn't like having multiple lines preceded by the carriage returns, while Kinetic deals with it nicely.

Why did they go so far as to make two different versions of this game is still beyond my comprehension...

Omochikaeri
2009-10-23, 15:49
I've finally had time to play it and when I launched the game and got into it I found out only the menus were translated.

(cut)

What am I doing wrong?

Originally I had a post here saying I wanted to know the answer too.

Then I read the batch file to see what it was doing, and found a pretty obvious bug.

It has:

This should be:

XCOPY /Y /Q kepago\SEEN????.TXT .

Reason being that the current directory may contain spaces ("%CD%" would have worked too, but why bother using a variable when "." works?) This is a pretty common bug in batch files, and the original author might want to update their original post to avoid people being hit by this trap in the future. :-)

Unregistered
2010-10-21, 06:36
Hello all, i'm fairly certain this would be inactive by now, but ill ask anyways just incase.

When running the command
cdpatch c:\KINETICDATA c:\rldev
This comes up.

c:\KEY\planetarian_PE>cdpatch c:\KINETICDATA c:\rldev
Copying game graphical resources from patch to intallation...
89 File(s) copied
7 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
2 File(s) copied
Decompiling original patch...
& was unexpected at this time.

I copied and pasted the .BAT exactly from the first post, and when this happened, tried with the one from the 2nd post (after deleting everything and re-exracting the rldev and KINETICDATA and re-installing the game)in a new notepad file.

Can some1 help me fix this problem? I really want to play/watch this kinetic visual novel. Thanks :)

splatty
2011-03-27, 07:21
Same thing happened to me
Looks like the ASCII didn't quite work well....
replace "&#40;" with a "(" and "&#41;" with ")"
as well as the "&#58;" with a ":"