PDA

View Full Version : So the Next Gen is coming

kouryuu
2006-05-10, 10:36
Just thought itd be interesting to discuss:

The next gen systems coming out, which does everybody like, interested in buying, or think will win the "console war"?

Haeleth
2006-05-10, 10:54
Where's my "none" option? :P

I think Little Busters will go mainstream, and everyone will flock back to PC games.*

* Not.

l|ammamama
2006-05-10, 11:29
Where'd you get that price point for the Wii? Not that it matters I suppose, I'm still too poor to afford any of them.

That aside, I hope one of my friends buys each system so that I can leech entertainment for free.

Shii
2006-05-10, 11:51
PS3's price point is funny in a crude way. People will be taking out mortgages to buy one, just because it has GTA or whatever people buy PlayStations for.

I generally don't play console games because they're too violent for me, but the Wii lineup sounds pretty fun, and the controller demonstration looked neat.

procyon
2006-05-10, 12:45
For me it'll come down to whichever console has a couple games that I *really* want to play. I've hit a stage of my life that I just don't have time to game anymore. Cost for the PS3 and Xbox are sort of high (and I suspect Wii will end up being more than $200), but amortized over the 3 or 4 years one will own a console, its not really an issue.

Maybe I've just gotten old, but the whole business aspect of this console war is what I really find facinating. Following the development of interesting technologies, the different ways of marketplace positioning, and contrasting overall strategies... its almost as entertaining to me as gaming (and takes up far less time).

gp32
2006-05-10, 12:51
My current plan is to get ahold of a Wii devkit and port ONScripter.

以上.

New/Old
2006-05-10, 13:33
I'm still a Nintendo faithful baby! But I do stray to PS from time to time. Nowadays, I spend more time on PC games though.

GreatSaintLouis
2006-05-10, 13:40
Gp32, you will always be my hero.

Procyon, industry rumors and mumbling have the Wii all but fixed in the $200-250 price range. Considering that most of the internals are mainly improvements over the existing Gamecube equipment and not something radically new like Sony and Microsoft are pushing, I can believe it. It's nice to see Nintendo not getting drawn up into the arms race of who has the more spectacular hardware.

And the PS3 price is slightly misleading; only the top-end system with the ginormous hard drive is $600; the stripped down 20GB version is 'only' $400. As if that really matters much.

Haeleth
2006-05-10, 14:12
Just think how that controller could be used to enhance the visual novel experience! Instead of having to laboriously click, you could advance a screen of text simply by waving your hand. :P

Pikawil
2006-05-10, 14:58
I'm going to bet my money that To Heart 3 will be released on the PS3.

With an obligatory 17-years old Konomi cameo. *runs*

byndhrzn
2006-05-10, 16:11
I'll get 360 once the premium version is around $300, maybe next year, PS3 is just way too damn expensive, and Wii...well can't say I'm much interested in it.

zalas
2006-05-10, 16:32
Just think how that controller could be used to enhance the visual novel experience! Instead of having to laboriously click, you could advance a screen of text simply by waving your hand. :P
These aren't the erodialogues you're looking for... *waves*

Carl
2006-05-10, 17:21
I'll be getting the PS3. I'll need an interim Blu-ray player anyway, and the PS3 is a lot cheaper than Samsung's machine. Oh, and there's the games too.

If Hironobu Sakaguchi ever releases his games for the 360, I'll get one of them, too, but hopefully prices will plummet a bit in the meantime.

I'm seeing interactive ecchi scenes in the future...

Nanatuha
2006-05-10, 17:38
Depends on softwares I want.
By the way, DS is the most hot stock to me so far.

Capcom
・Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 2

ムハ- (゜Д゜) They are intending to wring my money double again? I allow. I allow.

inuyasha9854
2006-05-10, 18:11
Gp32, you will always be my hero.

Procyon, industry rumors and mumbling have the Wii all but fixed in the $200-250 price range. Considering that most of the internals are mainly improvements over the existing Gamecube equipment and not something radically new like Sony and Microsoft are pushing, I can believe it. It's nice to see Nintendo not getting drawn up into the arms race of who has the more spectacular hardware.

And the PS3 price is slightly misleading; only the top-end system with the ginormous hard drive is $600; the stripped down 20GB version is 'only' $400. As if that really matters much.

Ahem - $500. There's only a $100 difference between them.

I plan to purchase a PS3 - If not for the fact that Japan is mainly Sony/Nintendo fanboys...though I may purchase 'em all spread out over a period of time. But PS3 will be first.

Wii may make requirement if ONScripter is ported, which'll make gp32 a god above gods

JRaiKetchum
2006-05-10, 18:29
I'm definately getting a Wii! I've been a Nintendo gamer since I got my first NES when I was 3! XD Only two years ago did I get a PS2 Slim so I could play FMA, the console release of Duel Savior: Destiny (which I have YET to finish -_-;), and any other PS/PS2 anime-based game released.

以上.

Ooooh. Good luck with that!

adun50
2006-05-10, 20:22
I'd be getting a PS3 instead, but I'll wait off a few months since I should be in a job by then, hence not much time for gaming. but another reason is that I rather wait for people's review of the PS3. though from the news before of the PS3 being region free for games is still enough to tempt me to buy it. but with so many people wanting one its now more of a matter of being able to get a pre-order for the first batch.

Vatina
2006-05-10, 21:02
I will get a PS3, but it's so expensive, so it wll probably take a while before buying it <_< It has the games I want to play

Billhead
2006-05-10, 21:03
I have a slight problem.
Well, two actualy.
No TV and not enough free time.
So, I guess I'm going with Haeleth's choice.

procyon
2006-05-10, 21:11

The $250 mark makes a lot more sense to me than the $200 one.

Nintendo can't afford to compete on performance, so they need to try out new things (the innovative/gimmicky controllers, a big push for their virtual console, etc.). Hitting the low end could end up being a viable strategy... having a profitable niche is far better than bleeding money fighting for #1.

Sony appears to be betting on HD more than Microsoft, a bet that may not work so well with the whole HD format war and lack of market penetration of displays. They do have insane third party support due to their dominance with ps2, so things could very well end up gelling nicely for them in the end.

Microsoft has pretty much bet on the future being the network. This could be huge if they make it easy for independent developers. Imagine if they opened up the ability to develop for the xbox live arcade to just about anyone. Suddenly niche products like visual novels (done episodically at $5/episode perhaps?) become viable, since there's a preexisting distribution platform with functioning micropayments. Indie gaming could flourish. I donít think Microsoft quite Ďgets ití though, so I doubt this will happen to as great an extent as I would like.

Really, I doubt the consumer will really 'lose' this generation, no matter what console they buy. Even if one totally flops, there will still be a handful of awesome games out for it. At this point, all a flop does is affect the next generation... who's R&D costs are going to be even more astronomical.

GLACIER
2006-05-10, 21:13
The next gen systems coming out, which does everybody like, interested in buying, or think will win the "console war"?

I haven't been impressed with many console games lately (only Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Front Mission 4, and Shin Megami Tensei III), so I'll stick with the PC for now. The PC market has become astonishingly weak, but I'm still busy catching up on older games I've missed.

As for next-gen systems, the XBox360 is somewhat attractive to me since Western CRPG developers are shifting development to that console. However, I'm in no rush to buy anything, especially with current prices.

I generally don't play console games because they're too violent for me

I'm not sure if that's a good generalization. Games like GTA3 and Manhunt are console-oriented, but there're plenty of E or T rated console games to satisfy those who aren't interested in super offensive content.

GLACIER
2006-05-10, 21:28
They do have insane third party support due to their dominance with ps2, so things could very well end up gelling nicely for them in the end.

That appears to be Sony's main draw, at least in Japan. Due to the poor economy, I think gamers are going to bank solely on the largest lineup of major IPs, regardless of whatever exclusives Microsoft might land (mainly new IPs from renowned developers). They simply aren't as willing to buy multiple consoles.

inuyasha9854
2006-05-10, 22:01
It's going to be intersting to see what will come of everything in November when PS3 is going to be released. It's probably a safe-bet that Microsoft will probably announce a pricecut close to the PS3 launch, which could hurt PS3 sales, but probably not by as much as Microsoft would like.

The only thing that a Microsoft price-cut is going to do, is probably pull most of those sitting on the fence. Those who decided to wait and see what happens. When you look at it, most of the Microsoft die-hards have already purchased their X360, so it's probable that price cut sales won't help much. Microsoft's early launch is a good/bad situation, where it's wavering over the line.

I wonder how it's going to pan out when the HD-DVD unit is released for it. By launching early, Microsoft opened itself up to attack with the HD-format wars (at least, the HD disc media.) PS3 launches with BluRay support. X360 needs an HD-DVD addon.

It's late, and my mindless ramblings slowly get less focused and more incoherent, I'll save you the trouble of trying to find my power cord so I can stop typing. *pulls plug*

procyon
2006-05-10, 22:19
They do have insane third party support due to their dominance with ps2, so things could very well end up gelling nicely for them in the end.

That appears to be Sony's main draw, at least in Japan. Due to the poor economy, I think gamers are going to bank solely on the largest lineup of major IPs, regardless of whatever exclusives Microsoft might land (mainly new IPs from renowned developers). They simply aren't as willing to buy multiple consoles.

Microsoft has a tough nut to crack with Japan. The 360 launch could charitably described as underwhelming. Any 'early adopter' bonus they have they are squandering by not getting titles out that the market really wants. Anyone know how ninety-nine-nights is doing in Japan right now?

Isn't the economy in Japan doing fairly well now? They still need a fair amount of market reform, and they need to do something about the whole post office savings issue, but I was under the impression that things were finally on a bit of an uptake? Bad debt is finally getting cleared out of the system, and it capital spending is up. Obviously, I'm not on the ground over there, so the 'man on the street' perspective may very well be totally different from my 'I get my Japanese ecnomic news from the Economist' viewpoint.

kouryuu
2006-05-10, 23:02
Where'd you get that price point for the Wii? Not that it matters I suppose, I'm still too poor to afford any of them.

That aside, I hope one of my friends buys each system so that I can leech entertainment for free.

From an article on an interview with a member of Sega. Since Sega is working fairly closely with the Wii this go 'round. The Sega rep commented in the interview that he didn't expect the Wii to exceed a $200 price tag.

As for myself, I too plan on getting the PS3. I'm wagering the Blu Ray discs will win out.

If only for the fact that they sound cooler, and hold more data. I think it might take a while to decide, but the blu-ray's extra capacity will win in the long run. Just as movies used to be short, they grew longer and more flashy as media became able to hold them. Imagine it: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, packaged on a single Blu Ray. DVds got bigger, and movies longer to fill them. with HD quality... the extra space on blu ray will give it the leg up.

and honestly, many americans are rather.... <_<;; dumb at times...
so they'll probably buy what sounds cooler. and Blu Ray sounds better than HD DVD. ... Blu Ray is also easier to say.

that, combined with the fact that any otaku who ever considers importing games, is going to be drawn to the PS3 for its region-less ability is going to help boost its sales.

Once enough Blu Ray players (AKA PS3s) are in homes, and HD DVD falls, Xbox360 is going to be in pain.

Also, PS3s online network is extrememly similar to Xbox live..... except entirely free.

Carl
2006-05-11, 01:20
Microsoft has a tough nut to crack with Japan. The 360 launch could charitably described as underwhelming. Any 'early adopter' bonus they have they are squandering by not getting titles out that the market really wants. Anyone know how ninety-nine-nights is doing in Japan right now?
In Japan, the Toshiba HD-DVD player sold about two thirds as many units in its first week as the 360 has sold total. Last month more Game Cubes sold than Xbox 360s over there.

Things aren't looking too peachy for them so far.

Osthekake
2006-05-11, 07:55
I'm happy to see that the Xbox is doing so poorly in the poll!
Although I don't know why I am, must be some supressed fanboy-ism.
Aiee! PS3 will rock your boots!

2006-05-11, 12:15

Err... And to think I expected the primary improvement to be one-handed gameplay.

Though, honestly, something like the Wii controller's shape would be a nice improvement over the ergonomics of the old keyboard/mouse. Assuming the system gets more PC VN ports than Gamecube has...

Pikawil
2006-05-11, 13:55
Wii got my vote due to the revealing of the new Smash Bros. in it. Which has Solid Snake.

Oh, and Nintendo's asking you for suggestions for characters in said game. (http://cgi.nintendo.co.jp/cgi-bin/smashbros/article.cgi) I say we suggest Revvie and her lightbulb or Kanna.

Osthekake
2006-05-11, 14:07
Wii got my vote due to the revealing of the new Smash Bros. in it. Which has Solid Snake.

OMG! It DOES!?
Will he eat snakes?
I guess it'll be the young clone one from twin snakes -since it's the only one on Nintendo. Or maybe from the first two games? werent they on NES or SNES or something?

Shii
2006-05-11, 15:28
Oh, and Nintendo's asking you for suggestions for characters in said game. (http://cgi.nintendo.co.jp/cgi-bin/smashbros/article.cgi) I say we suggest Revvie and her lightbulb or Kanna.Isn't Zero Suit Samus enough?!

JRaiKetchum
2006-05-11, 16:34

Oh, and Nintendo's asking you for suggestions for characters in said game. (http://cgi.nintendo.co.jp/cgi-bin/smashbros/article.cgi) I say we suggest Revvie and her lightbulb or Kanna.

ROTFL! No no no... Ayu-chan with her winged backpack and taiyaki XD
Or one I've been a huge propent for for since the first SSB, Sailor Moon! XD *awaits the booing and rotten tomatoes* Hey! The majority of the SM games were on Game Boy and SNES!

Okay, time to be serious... I was quite shocked to see Snake revealed as new character. It's going to be interesting seeing Link go up against one of the masters of tactical espionage. And of course... the box! XD They HAVE to make that one of the dropped items! I wonder what the criteria are for the characters they are looking for are? I will have to check this out!

Spiritsnare [unlogged in]
2006-05-11, 17:02

There's a little thing we'd like you to play called Eternal Fighter Zero...;)

inuyasha9854
2006-05-11, 17:14
Having played it, I shall continue to put on the suggestion!

Pikawil
2006-05-12, 22:33
]Wii got my vote due to the revealing of the new Smash Bros. in it. Which has Solid Snake.

There's a little thing we'd like you to play called Eternal Fighter Zero...;)

Meh. I'd rather see Key's gals duke it out with the gaming legends at Nintendo since it would seem more epic...

Billhead
2006-05-12, 23:42
Mai vs Link would be pretty intresting...

Carl
2006-05-12, 23:51
Mai vs Link would be pretty intresting...
Link would get distracted by Mai's panties, letting his guard down for a brief, but fatal, period of time.

Asmadi
2006-05-13, 14:25
I want a 360, FPS + DOA.

(and if I could vote, I'd join the other lonely guy ^_^)

rodan
2006-05-14, 05:41
Makoto and Solid Snake seem to have the box thing down.
For some weird reason, I can't see Ayu as anything but a taller Pikachu clone.

GreatSaintLouis
2006-05-14, 09:44
Blasphemer.

DragonmasterX
2006-05-14, 10:41
Most of the visual novel ports in the current generation have gone from PC->PS2. Any many are uniquely created for PS2. Will the trend continue with PS3? Or will they move to Wii or XBOX360?

Carl
2006-05-14, 11:47
Most of the visual novel ports in the current generation have gone from PC->PS2. Any many are uniquely created for PS2. Will the trend continue with PS3? Or will they move to Wii or XBOX360?
Doubtful. Different consoles aim at different markets. Nintendo goes for the non-serious gamer, so not the sort who pays 9000 yen for a visual novel, and No body in Japan owns an Xbox. That's just a lie made up by the government to confuse you. Assuming the trend continues, they'll use the PS3.

Hopefully if they do they'll set the resolution to 720p, and stop downresing games that use 800x600 or higher.

Eden
2006-05-14, 22:24
Already got a 360 and planning on getting a Wii (being swayyed since seeing the Smash Bros Brawl trailer on IGN). I'd proberly stick to my PC, if it didn't seem to freeze after a while with any game.

Doubt i'd get a PS3 until the price came down, due to rumors of the free online service just being messaging and such (like Live Silver which is free) and the features in the 'premium' version not being availible to upgrade to later, if you got a 'core'. That and just the price in general and only a couple things I want for it.

PS3's price point is funny in a crude way. People will be taking out mortgages to buy one, just because it has GTA or whatever people buy PlayStations for.

Apart from Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 and the blu-ray player what are people buying a PS3 for? Or maybe GTA4, but that's for 360 as well. Saying that, i'm mostly looking forward to Smash Bros and Mario Galaxies for the Wii.

Carl
2006-05-15, 00:08
Apart from Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 and the blu-ray player what are people buying a PS3 for? Or maybe GTA4, but that's for 360 as well. Saying that, i'm mostly looking forward to Smash Bros and Mario Galaxies for the Wii.
Console ports of bishoujo games and obscure RPGs.

omgwtflolz
2006-05-15, 01:16
Judging from what's on the PS2,

Console ports of ADV games, Metal Gear Solid, Wild ARMs, Gensou Suikoden, Sakura Taisen, Nippon Ichi S-RPGs, Super Robot Taisen, Another Century's Episode, ZOE, Star Ocean...

The Gamecube and Xbox didn't really have any games that interested me, and I doubt that the 360 and Wii will.

Edit:

Apparently, there was just one game planned for the Xbox. A port of Kana.

It got cancelled. :P

Edit:

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept releasing them for the PS2 instead of moving on to the PS3, though.

Edit:

Personally, I'll wait till next year or so before getting a PS3, after the price drops a bit and they fix the bugs or whatever.

STaNLI
2006-05-15, 04:04
I'm still following through on my cunning gaming plan:

1) Note what's good after it comes out (ie actual opinion, skipping hype)
2) Wait 10 years
3) Get the hardware for it out of a skip, and the software from a 3-for-£5 bargain bin

I just started playing C&C: Tiberian Sun yesterday \o/ And I got Red Alert 2 and Black & White with it~

Osthekake
2006-05-15, 13:29
Apart from Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 and the blu-ray player what are people buying a PS3 for?

What? You need more reasons? o_O
I have every confidence more reasons will come.

Shii
2006-05-15, 13:57
What? You need more reasons? o_O
I have every confidence more reasons will come.

Well, if you do a utility analysis...
Cost of a video game: $50 on average
Utility of a really good video game: let's say $90
Consumer surplus of a good video game: $90-$50 = $40 (meaning you "earn" $40 by spending $50... if utility is fixed like this eventually you will go bankrupt on such trades. This is the tragedy of wotaku materialism)
Assume utility of the console by itself, sitting in your living room with nothing to play on it, is $0.
Assume utility of Blu-Ray is $0 because you don't own a 40-inch plasma TV. (And if you do... bourgeoise! <abbr title="Go boil your head!">煎ってよし!</abbr>)
Assume utility of owning an awesome Wii controller is $0.
Wii: $200, recouped by 5 good games, or 2-3 virtual console games
PS3: $600, recouped by 15 good games

So, a PS3 needs three times as many good games for you to play as a Wii.

K
2006-05-15, 15:33
Aw, I plan to buy two >_>;;

Osthekake
2006-05-16, 01:03
Wii: $200, recouped by 5 good games, or 2-3 virtual console games
PS3: $600, recouped by 15 good games

So, a PS3 needs three times as many good games for you to play as a Wii.

I would die for FFXIII and MGS4 meaning they're worth a human life each.
That's three human lives in total! (one for each of the FFXIII games) Now that's alot compared to 600$!
Of course, I will have to borrow a nintendo at some point as well...

kouryuu
2006-05-16, 12:04
Personally I think this is how it will pan out, and I think our poll quite agrees:

In Japan, Xbox360 will never sell.

In America, it will invade about 50% of the gaming audience's homes.

In Japan, people will buy the PS3 right up. Quickly.
In America, when the PS3 is released with its Price bombshell, it will sell, but far below expected and needed sales.
Instead, people anticipating their PS3, will buy HD TVs this year, in preparation. Sony will make money here, but all its competitors will too.
This means a year or so will pass with Sony losing lots of money on the console, they'll try to wait it out, probably lowering price a little. $50 less at most i'd say.
MGS4, and the long awaited games for PS3 will finally release: The American market will begin buying the PS3.
The PS3 will take over the other 50% of the gaming market in america. (note the Otaku specific gaming market is more likely to be split xbox360 = 20%, PS3 = 75%. Yes, i have overlap.)

Meanwhile: the Wii will quietly sit on the side. Younger generations, those just starting to game, will acquire the Wii, bc they ask their parents, and parents buy cheap. the Wii will thusly make ends meet... barely

a year or two will go by. the Wii will drop to about $150-$100. It will then be bought in supplement to every home with Xbox360 or PS3.
Thus, the high end xbox, ps3 will secure their target niches, sony making more money by completely owning japan. However, in the long run, PS3 and BluRay will win the High End war, but Monetarily, the Wii will beat everybody just by being cheap enough to buy with your high-end console in the target gaming market, and as usual nintendo style, hitting the young gamers-to-be and making lots.

Personally, I know I plan to wait a year to get the PS3, so i don't have to wait on sweet games. But in the meantime, im trying to acquire a nice HD-TV that also has VGA input (for comp use).

my only hope, is that either A) PS3 comes with a PC-style 5.1 output using 6channel sound card with the 3 audio jacks so that my current system will work with it.
or B) they make a digital optical out - 6 channel/3 jack adapter.

K
2006-05-16, 12:30
I don't know about that. Wii has a much stronger showing than the Cube ever did. GameFAQs' poll has a much larger sample size than ours does, and it's showing similar results:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2375

18.55% expect to have a 360 within one year.
45.62% expect to have a PS3.
64.06% expect to have a Wii.

In other words, 360 can't touch it. And yes, you might say that this poll indicates long-term interest, but in my view it doesn't. Reason? The poll is based on _current_ perception of the consoles. Wii is going to have a very strong launch, and while it may not really surpass the PS3's, it's likely to be much better than 360's.

I'm increasingly thinking due to launch price and game availability I might get only a Wii at launch and wait to see what happens to the PS3.

Carl
2006-05-16, 15:00
Personally, I know I plan to wait a year to get the PS3, so i don't have to wait on sweet games. But in the meantime, im trying to acquire a nice HD-TV that also has VGA input (for comp use).
I'd recommend DVI input. And a projector.

B) they make a digital optical out - 6 channel/3 jack adapter.
I doubt it. Just buy a cheap receiver off ebay and connect the preouts to the 6 channel inputs.

Talbain
2006-05-16, 21:56
I'm gonna buy an ice cream cone instead. They taste better.

Carl
2006-05-16, 23:31
Speaking from experience?

rodan
2006-05-17, 03:48
With or without ice cream?

Spiritsnare
2006-05-20, 14:08
With or without toppings?

Haeleth
2006-05-20, 15:20
Grief. PS3 now winning. We must have a lot of rich members.

(Did you see that they're planning to charge the equivalent of nearly US $1000 for the PS3 in Britain? This has got to be some kind of bad joke.)

Osthekake
2006-05-20, 15:53

(Did you see that they're planning to charge the equivalent of nearly US $1000 for the PS3 in Britain? This has got to be some kind of bad joke.)
Like I said! Human life! You cant put a pricetag on human life! Aieeooo *rambles into the night*

Billhead
2006-05-20, 16:44

I thought it was more around US$800?

inuyasha9854
2006-05-20, 18:46
Depends on the exchange rate...

Haeleth
2006-05-21, 01:31
The US$800 price (£425) is almost certainly excluding VAT (sales tax), which is 17.5%. That would make the price £499 including VAT -- which is US$950.

Mind you, even $800 would be 33% more than the US price...

Spiritsnare
2006-05-21, 07:33
Grief. PS3 now winning.

::votes::

What are you talking about? :D

l|ammamama
2006-05-21, 09:47
The US$800 price (£425) is almost certainly excluding VAT (sales tax), which is 17.5%.

Wow that is a heck of a sales tax! I thought 8% was bad...

inuyasha9854
2006-05-21, 09:59
And to think I find 6% merely annoying.

idofgrahf
2006-05-22, 00:09
PS3 for me simply to play MGS 4, the new FF's. I'm RPG gamer and since Playstation traditionally has the best RPG games I'll get it when it comes out, pre order two, sell one on ebay for twice as much and basically get the PS3 for free.

Wasn't there a 500 dollar version of PS3? unless you have like a 5000 dollar TV it makes little sense to buy the more expensive version.

Owned an 360, sold it after 3 month, wasn't impressed with that crap, it over heats, the graphcis were mid core and worst of all, the only game worth playing was DOA 4, call of duty looked better on my computer then it did on the 360.

F.I.A
2006-05-22, 01:07
I will still choose PS3, for few reasons:
1) Games come by more often for PS than xbox or gamecube in this part of the globe. Heck, it is rare to find console for either Xbox or Gamecube over here.
2) Even if I have no interest with anything Square, as long as Atlus is still on the heat in producing more Shin Megami Tensei series. Same goes to Banpresto and other companies.
3) PS tends to have more games than the other consoles(More like the number of games which interests me.)

Though, I will have to say I will need to wait for a year or so before actually buying it.

inuyasha9854
2006-05-22, 06:13
The $500 version of the PS3 also has a 20GB hard drive, and lacks Wi-Fi connectivity, but both of those can be added on later.

Talbain
2006-05-22, 11:26

Oh yes. Most definitely speaking from experience. Probably without toppings though.

procyon
2006-05-22, 22:22

Oh yes. Most definitely speaking from experience. Probably without toppings though.

Given the thermal envelopes of these things, we're probably better off stuffing the ice cream into the consoles to keep them from melting :)

procyon
2006-05-22, 22:24
The US$800 price (£425) is almost certainly excluding VAT (sales tax), which is 17.5%. That would make the price £499 including VAT -- which is US$950.

Mind you, even $800 would be 33% more than the US price...

We have to pay less though! With our lower tax burden, we get no government services, so we need cheap(?) consoles to make up for it :)

Pikawil
2006-05-25, 16:52
Well my friends, you can't play preowned PS3 games. (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006) That's a massive mistake on Sony's part.

mr.aufziehvogel
2006-05-25, 16:56
i will buy a nintendo wii. sony ps3..dunno.. let's wait and see...

AetherParadigm
2006-05-25, 20:15
Sorry Pikawil, that one is just (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3086&Itemid=2)not (http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17283) true. That rumor was denied once already in november. The thing is still crazy expensive, though. But if it has better media functionality than the 360's woeful offerings, I might get one... definately if it will play PS2 games region free (but thats doubtful). ^_^;;;

deoch
2006-05-29, 00:57
In any case, I think sony has already offered more than enough entertainment value at e3 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ

Pikawil
2006-05-29, 17:14
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Anyways, here's who I hope will be the best SSB newcomers (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Pikawil/Edits/tamaki-konomi.jpg)...