PDA

View Full Version : Repeated lines in visual novels

DragonmasterX
2006-04-01, 20:16
I'm finding some exact repeated lines in Clannad. I also recall in Air, whenever Yukito stared at the sky, certain lines were repeated throughout the game.

Are repeating lines a staple of visual novels?

It must really convey a sense of deja vu to people who translate this stuff, "gee, haven't I translated this line already?" Do translators go back to where the first translated instance of the line was and copy+paste it over to other instances of it, or translate the new instances of the identical text anew?

AstCd2
2006-04-01, 20:27
http://www.typemoon.com/icon/i_kinoko.jpg    
  /  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\
 <   呼んだ?  | 
  \_____/

As for copy and pasting, I think it'd depend on whether the context indicates that the repetition is intentionally done for a particular effect.

Carl
2006-04-02, 01:28
I looked up at the sky. The blueness of the sky touched my soul. I wondered if the international space station was somewhere up there.

Talbain
2006-04-02, 02:26
I looked up at the sky. The blueness of the sky touched my soul. I wondered if the international space station was somewhere up there.

You sir, are a poet.

Let me try!

There was darkness. Lots of darkness so that I couldn't eat my choco-cat. I cried greatly.

Haeleth
2006-04-02, 02:32
Are repeating lines a staple of visual novels?
Not just of visual novels. Go back to Homer and see how many times he uses the old ροδοδακτυλος Ηως...

GipFace
2006-04-03, 04:30
Yes.

Spiritsnare
2006-04-03, 06:37

You sir, are a poet.

Let me try!

There was darkness. Lots of darkness so that I couldn't eat my choco-cat. I cried greatly.

You two win the thread.