PDA

View Full Version : Translating, does it take all the fun away?

Rasqual Twilight
2006-03-13, 04:19
I mean, you know the game from A to Z and all the possible routes, maybe even spoiling the game if there are some you never ever took.

No?

mr.aufziehvogel
2006-03-13, 04:20
maybe if you play it first and translate it while you're playing :P

Nanatuha
2006-03-13, 04:43
Do you mean you've noticed Haeleth is secretly monopolizing Kitagawa lovey-dovey route? ;P

AstCd2
2006-03-13, 05:01
I mean, you know the game from A to Z and all the possible routes, maybe even spoiling the game if there are some you never ever took.

No?
It's generally a good idea to play through a route before a translation, if only to get a perspective on the way certain parts fit in with the story and the most appropriate way to translate them.

Having said that, translating the game isn't the killer - it's the repetitive editing and checking of the same scenes over and over again that does far worse to your appreciation of them. =P

Do you mean you've noticed Haeleth is secretly monopolizing Kitagawa lovey-dovey route? ;P
I was wondering where he got those screenshots from...

2006-03-13, 11:29
He probably merely read ノベルゲームシナリオ作成技法 and thought he had to improve something about it.
You will all see, only little after the release of Haeleth's patch the first backtranslation projects will start to carry over his improvements to the japanese version.

Haeleth
2006-03-13, 14:14
You will all see, only little after the release of Haeleth's patch the first backtranslation projects will start to carry over his improvements to the japanese version.
In the case of a Kitagawa route, presumably Brokebacktranslation projects?

(Cries of "Taxi for Haeleth", etc.)

gp32
2006-03-13, 15:17
Brokebacktranslation projects?
ほんやくのパズル葉レぴったん
(ぴったん~♪ ぴったぴったぴったん~♪)

GreatSaintLouis
2006-03-14, 00:22
♪ちっちゃいころからハードゲイ♪ ウォ~

As far as translation and ruining the experience goes--at least for me--there's still the thrill of playing through parts of a game and seeing your translated text alongside character art and background CGs. It's almost enough to make it feel totally new.

Carl
2006-03-14, 02:34
♪ちっちゃいころからハードゲイ♪ ウォ~
*Backs away slowly*

Spiritsnare
2006-03-14, 19:19
♪ちっちゃいころからハードゲイ♪ ウォ~

You fail. Everyone knows it's always フォ~.

and before you kill me on that, yes I know the dude uses ウォ often...

GreatSaintLouis
2006-03-14, 23:38
Argh, I meant to type フォ~, but it came out ウォ~. Damn tricky katakana*...
*Actually, I really should have no excuse for confusing the two...

2006-03-15, 02:51
You fail. Everyone knows it's always フォ~.

スピリトさんも惨敗です。 正しくは「フゥ~」です. 良く聴いたら分り切る筈ですよ。
訂正したらしっかりしないと駄目ですよ。

GreatSaintLouis
2006-03-16, 00:09
Dammit, we both fail.

In my defense, it's the week before finals when all the massive papers are due.

Not that I really had much upstairs to work with BEFORE this week, but...