PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to extract the scripts for kinetic novels?

Loasher
2006-01-20, 22:45
Since Planetarian is supposed to take about 5 hours to finish, i was wondering if it was possible to extract those scripts and convert them to text to read on my cellphone or mp3 player as an ebook.

zalas
2006-01-21, 00:49
If I'm not mistaken, Planetarian runs on RealLive, right? Thus, you can get RLDev from Haeleth's page and extract the script using that.

Haeleth
2006-01-21, 01:16
In the specific case of the English version of Planetarian, RLdev will do what you want. Let us know if you need a hand using it.

In the general case, it's possible to extract the scripts to the demos using RLdev. It's possible to extract the scripts to the full versions, but non-trivial and also possibly illegal in those jurisdictions that have particularly stupid laws, since one has to circumvent the DRM using a somewhat time-consuming technique.

Loasher
2006-01-21, 05:53
Legallity has never been an issue for me. >.>
Anyway thanks, and I'll post back if I need help.

Loasher
2006-01-21, 06:15
Well, I got that Win32 binaries and unzipped it, and now, I'm clueless as to what I should do with it. >.>

I think it's safe to say I should just play it and forget about extracting it, but I really want to read it when I'm in the car or something, so if anyone can help me begin, I'd be really grateful.

Haeleth
2006-01-21, 06:55
Yes, I'm afraid user-friendliness doesn't come at the top of my list of priorities. ;)

It should be sufficient to open a command prompt and type
set RLDEV=(rldev folder)
cd (planetarian folder)\KINETICDATA
%RLDEV%\bin\kprl -t kinetic -d SEEN0001.TXT
where obviously you replace (rldev folder) with the folder where you unzipped RLdev, and (planetarian folder) with the folder where you installed Planetarian.

The game's text will then be in SEEN0001.sjs.

2006-01-21, 07:01
The main folder, which would be C:\RLdev or the bin folder?

Loasher
2006-01-21, 07:19
Nevermind, got it working. Thanks.

2006-01-21, 07:22
Oh and how about Narcissu or other free kinetic novels? Do I need another program, or can I use RLDev?

Haeleth
2006-01-21, 09:26
It depends on the system they use. RLdev only works for games that use RealLive, and I think those are all commercial titles.

Narcissu (like Kira, and several of the other al|together novels) uses NScripter - for that see http://nscripter.insani.org, where (among other things) you'll find some programs that should let you get at the script of NScripter games.

Loasher
2006-01-21, 18:10
So I got the NSDec rar file, and does it run basically like RLDev, or do I drag the script onto the program?

2006-01-21, 18:22
Damn, erasing those weird lines from the script takes more time than its worth. =/

Loasher
2006-01-21, 22:09
Last question... Is it possible to remove all those Japanese sentences all at once?

Haeleth
2006-01-22, 03:01
For NSDec, you just put the nsdec.exe in the same folder as Narcissu and double-click on it - you shouldn't need to futz about with the command line at all.

As for removing all the Japanese lines at once... I'm afraid I don't know of a way to do it with standard Windows tools. You could install some version of perl and use something likeperl -i -ne "unless&#40;/&#91;\x82-\xff&#93;/&#41;&#123;s/<....> |\\\\&#91;np&#93;//g;print&#125;" SEEN0001.sjs
...if you think it's worth it. ^_^

Loasher
2006-01-22, 03:17
What's perl?

Haeleth
2006-01-22, 03:36
A scripting language that's quite useful for basic text processing tasks like this.

The standard Windows version is ActivePerl (http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909.msi) (12 mb), if you want to try it. This may be further than you want to go, though.

Loasher
2006-01-22, 03:54
Ok so I downloaded it, and installed it. Now what?

Haeleth
2006-01-22, 04:15
Try opening a command prompt, going to the KINETICDATA folder as before, and then pasting in the command I posted above (the one beginning "perl -i -ne"). If you're lucky, it'll remove all the weird stuff and leave you with a readable plain text script.

It may help if you draw a magic circle around your PC first, sacrifice a small camel, and intone the mantra "Tim-Toady" as you press enter.
That last bit was a perl joke. You don't actually have to do it.

Loasher
2006-01-22, 04:31
You shouldn't have made that last bit of text smaller. I did it before I noticed. >.>

Loasher
2006-01-22, 04:33
Oh right, do I just have to use cd, or do I still have to paste this?
set RLDEV=&#40;rldev folder&#41;
cd &#40;planetarian folder&#41;\KINETICDATA
%RLDEV%\bin\kprl -t kinetic -d SEEN0001.TXT

And Narcissu doesn't have a KINETICDATA folder. I already have the actual text file, but there's some japanese on top of each english sentence, and it makes the files bigger.

Haeleth
2006-01-22, 06:25
Oh - sorry! I thought you were talking about Planetarian. All that is for Planetarian. (In which case you would just use "cd", not the other stuff.)

For Narcissu, what you want to do is cd to the Narcissu directory and runperl -i -ne "s/^`// && s/\\\\|@//g && print" result.txt
(replace "result.txt" with whatever the name of the text file is). Again, that will strip out everything apart from the actual text that gets displayed on the screen.

The file you'll be left with will contain both translations, one after the other - first the various forewords, then my translation, then gp32's translation. There won't be any explicit indication of where one ends and the other begins, but it should be reasonably obvious to the reader.

Freakker
2006-01-22, 23:44
Ah, the wonderful understandability of perl.

Loasher
2006-01-23, 01:55
I get this message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/jebbito/c5972287.jpg

Haeleth
2006-01-23, 12:01
It's beautiful, isn't it, Freakker? :P Like any tool it has its uses. I never touch it except to do one-liners, though.

Loasher, try replacing the -i with -i.bak or something. Apparently ActiveState ship their Perl with irritating extra security features. :/

Loasher
2006-01-26, 05:24
It makes it 4kb and deletes almost every line. Only enough to fit in 2 pages.

Haeleth
2006-01-29, 14:21
Rather than trying to debug it any further, it seemed simpler just to do it for you. ^_^

Try http://haeleth.net/temp/narcissu_script.zip, it should contain what you want.

Pado
2006-01-29, 18:38
I have a question about extracting the script from another game .. which is Fate/Stay Night ....

what I have done is ... gone to the game folder where I have installed the game and extracted the data.xp3 file which contains the scenario/script files (??). The files I have extracted are .ks files. I tried to open them notepad/word and got a lot of code and kanji ... but I didn't see any hiragana/katakana ;o .... these are the files http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=37PGK3IU9BPGG1QT97QQJ0GDCV

I'm a complete noob with these stuff so I have no idea what I should do, I have tried searching on the net and some forums, but I couldn't find an answer ...

someone who can enlighten me ??

I'm just looking for the complete script of Fate/Stay Night in japanese ...

zalas
2006-01-30, 09:18
Fate/stay night files are encrypted. You can either fool around with the source to get it to work right, or if you just want the script, you can download FateML and use that:

http://m-akita.sakura.ne.jp/fateml.shtml

Pado
2006-01-30, 11:07
zalas: OMG !!! You are a lifesaver ^_^ !!!!!! that's exactly what I was looking for :D ~~

now I can finally play the game at a reasonable speed :P ....... playing the game while looking for the kanji was so slow, so I used copy/paste with help from the AGTH program to get the ingame text, then converted it to romaji ... which was easier to understand for me .....

oh well anyway :) many many thanks :D.

zalas
2006-01-31, 02:13
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you need to look up so much kanji in the dictionary to read through the game, then you're probably not going to be able to get through Fate/stay night at an enjoyable speed ^_^;

Pado
2006-01-31, 06:23
ha ha it's good for kanji training :P I'm a first year student studying japanese :P :P

Haeleth
2006-01-31, 06:29
And if you can enjoy the challenge of figuring out the text, there's no reason you should care how long it takes to read, right? ;)

Pado
2006-01-31, 13:42
I understand it about 75% to 85% :P the rest can be guessed :P

Loasher
2006-02-03, 02:26
Haeleth marry me. <3

Thanks for the sctipt.

Loasher
2006-04-24, 07:54
Do you happen to have other scripts for the other translated kinetic novels? If you had io, A Midsummers Day Resonace, or Red Shift, that would be great. If you don't, how did you extract the Narcissu script properly, and would it work for these 3?

Haeleth
2006-04-24, 08:31
I don't have the scripts off-hand. What I did for Narcissu was to hack the perl script I posted before until it worked, though naturally I didn't keep the working version...

Loasher
2006-04-24, 11:28
So basically, a guy like me has no chance of obtaining the scripts? Damn. =/

ChocoEd
2006-04-29, 18:13
Do you happen to have other scripts for the other translated kinetic novels? If you had io, A Midsummers Day Resonace, or Red Shift, that would be great. If you don't, how did you extract the Narcissu script properly, and would it work for these 3?
The games based on NScripter (Resonance, Red Shift, Narcissu) have human-readable script file formats... some of them may be right in the game directory as "0.txt". If instead there's an "nscript.dat" file, you can decode it to text format using the NSDec utility on the ONScripter SDK page (http://nscripter.insani.org/sdk.html).

I forget what engine io used off the top of my head, so I'm not sure how easy it is to grab that script.

zalas
2006-04-29, 23:45
io uses kirikiri/XP3. The script is human readable if you strip out the stuff between brackets (the control codes, of which there are lot of in the English script).

Loasher
2006-04-30, 01:23
Yes, that was what I was asking of Haeleth, as he did something to get rid of those extra lines and codes. I tried doing what he posted before, but I end up with like a page of text.