PDA

View Full Version : Oh! Text Hooker?

GreatSaintLouis
2006-01-14, 14:32
I reinstalled Clannad (first printing, baby! ^_^) the other day, and like I did when I first got it, I fired up Oh! Text Hooker to give my lousy kanji recognition a hand. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any output in the OTH window whatsoever. The Amikai website the program uses to translate the text is still at the same address (an issue that invalidated a previous version of OTH). Has anyone heard anything that might be the cause of this issue?

Barring that, are there any other free utilities of this sort that work in a similar manner - hooking text out of programs and running it through an automated translator?

Roto
2006-01-14, 16:10
I'm fairly new to OTH (actually, I only just tried it the other day, so I've never seen it work properly.)

The best I can tell, though, the address for Amikai hasn't changed since the Feb 2004 version of jetrans.dll. The change that did occur was that was fixed in the Dec 2004 version of jetrans_041223.dll is one to the format of the translation page: the text areas went from 30 columns to 45 columns.

Looking at the source code for Amikai, though, I can't seem to find anything that's changed. I haven't studied everything in great detail, but at first glance, it looks like it still should work. In fact, I've gotten OTH to work sporadically, but only one line of text every now and then.

Perhaps it has something to do with Amikai's backend? Something subtle they changed on the server?

Also, how does one compile a .dll (or anything on Windows for that matter?) I can play around with the source for jetrans and see if I can figure something out, but I'm a Mac/Unix developer and don't really know much about compilers on Windows...

l|ammamama
2006-01-14, 16:17
I messed around with Oh! Text Hooker for a few days, but I found it to be more trouble then it's worth. I actually did get the program working properly, but even then - there are issues with repeated text strings, wierd things happening when the focus jumps back and forth, and then you still have to deal with the unintelligable machine-translation. Much better then dealing with all of that, in my opinion, is just finding the easiest way possible to look up compounds/kanji/words you don't know.

If you're not afraid of a little command-line manipulation, the best solution I've found is to use Haeleth's dev tools to extract the games' scripts.

In order to play Clannad myself, I extracted two copies of the script - one with the game code intact and one without. This way, I can use the 'clean' extraction to follow along and translate any unknown compounds, and then when I realize there's been a scene jump I just bring up the other copy with the game commands in it, use ctrl-F to find where I was, and then follow the next jump command (which gives a scene number). Usually, the 'seen' files are relatively long, so it doesn't take too much jumping around. Plus.. if you're extremely slow like I am, it's even less of a bother -_-

When you bring up the script files in somthing like JWPce, with its built-in dictionary, then it makes looking up tough compounds a breeze. Much better then trying to wrestle with Oh! Text Hooker and machine translation. At the very least, it shifts your time spent 'decoding the translation' to 'reading the japanese'.

Hmm... I'm going to try opening a script file in Firefox when I get home, then use Rikai-chan to decypher how to read the damnable thing. If it works (i dont see why it wouldn't) that would make it almost too easy! Mwahahaaa...

Now this is the good stuff:
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/535/moribayashi3lj.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moribayashi3lj.jpg)
I had to re-save the script text file as an .html using Word in order for rikai-chan to display properly, but it's worth it! don't even have to change the focus in order to look up a compound ^^

I'm sure haeleth could answer any more technical questions you might have about his tools~

Edit: Erm- now that I look, I'm not even sure where I got the dev-kit from... I could have sworn there was a link somewhere on haeleth's site =/

byndhrzn
2006-01-18, 05:26
Barring that, are there any other free utilities of this sort that work in a similar manner - hooking text out of programs and running it through an automated translator?There's AGTH, it's bit more complicated to use than OTH (if that's possible) but it's also giving better results.
Machine translating via text hooker works best when you have installed program on your comp that's able to automatically translate clipboard text (like Fujitsu Atlas). Using online web translators is slower and less reliable option, though it's free.

Haeleth
2006-01-18, 06:28
Edit: Erm- now that I look, I'm not even sure where I got the dev-kit from... I could have sworn there was a link somewhere on haeleth's site =/
Heh, that one hasn't been released publicly yet. But RLdev (http://dev.haeleth.net) has, and that's what you'd want for Clannad.

l|ammamama
2006-01-19, 14:44
Heh, that one hasn't been released publicly yet. But RLdev (http://dev.haeleth.net) has, and that's what you'd want for Clannad.

Oop, well I was referring to RLdev anyways - I just took a picture of what I was doing at the moment to show how you can use Firefox and the Rikai-chan plugin as a really nifty dictionary if you already have an extracted script file ^^

ahhh, so it was dev.haeleth.net, tricky!

Haeleth
2006-01-19, 15:10
ahhh, so it was dev.haeleth.net, tricky!
I'd forgotten that I'd forgotten to add the link to the side menu of the site when I started releasing development tools publicly. It's there now.

Spiritsnare
2006-01-19, 17:41
So is /dev awendende and the forums gemot?

Or did you overlook that <title> tag? ;)

Haeleth
2006-01-20, 04:53
I just haven't got round to working out how to refer to application development in Anglo-Saxon yet. ._.

Shii
2006-01-20, 14:54
liþewarecræft?

Haeleth
2006-01-20, 16:31
lithewarecraeft?
[ten-second pause as he works it out, then] ROFL! Subtle.

(For those whose English doesn't go back that far, it's a literal translation of "soft ware skill".)

I also like the translation proposed in the Circolwyrde Wordhord (http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ctb/wordhord.html) - "rungeweorc".

Spiritsnare
2006-01-23, 07:30
líðewarecræft?
ROFL!

Pardon me for asking, but when was the last time Haeleth used ROFL if at all? XD

Billhead
2006-03-15, 21:50
On the topic of OHTHK...
Is there anyway for it to translate the choices in AIR?
Its a little difficult to try guessing what your choice was depending on what happens next.

GreatSaintLouis
2006-03-16, 00:20
Machine translating via text hooker works best when you have installed program on your comp that's able to automatically translate clipboard text (like Fujitsu Atlas).
There's the rub. I checked out Fujitsu's site for pricing on Atlas, and my wallet got up off the desk and LITERALLY punched me in the back of the head.

I found Atlas for sale on eBay a few weeks ago, a copy two versions older than whatever the latest is (can't remember off the top of my head). I watched it, thinking it might end at a reasonable price, but to my horror it jumped nearly as high as a new copy of the software.

Unless lottery winnings are in my future, I guess I'll have to make do with Amikai and EDICT.

byndhrzn
2006-03-16, 17:09
Machine translating via text hooker works best when you have installed program on your comp that's able to automatically translate clipboard text (like Fujitsu Atlas).
There's the rub. I checked out Fujitsu's site for pricing on Atlas, and my wallet got up off the desk and LITERALLY punched me in the back of the head.
There is fully-functional demo version for download.

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/TRNS/ATLASV12ETrial.exe

Danj
2006-04-04, 14:18
Barring that, are there any other free utilities of this sort that work in a similar manner - hooking text out of programs and running it through an automated translator?There's AGTH, it's bit more complicated to use than OTH (if that's possible) but it's also giving better results.

I second this recommendation. Development of OTH pretty much came to a halt already, it seems, whereas AGTH is actively being worked on and the author is available to get hold of on various forums. AGTH's current home page is at http://agthook.googlepages.com/ and you can find the latest version there. The "user manual" and "compatibility list" on that site are a little bit out of date though. Recent versions of AGTH even work with nonstandard games like Fate/stay night (and hopefully Fate/hollow ataraxia will work soon) although as has been mentioned it can be a bit tricky to set up.