PDA

View Full Version : ToHeart2 XRATED becoming opensource?

byndhrzn
2005-12-13, 04:46
If I'm understanding right, or is that just game engine.

http://leaf.aquaplus.co.jp/xvid.html

AstCd2
2005-12-13, 05:05
Sounds about right.
It'll be interesting to see how some of these games were put together, especially ones featuring advanced interfaces like Aruaso and TtT.

Hey, quick recovery. :P
Evidently not quite quick enough =P
Shame on me for not reading the full thing through.

Haeleth
2005-12-13, 05:07
Hey, quick recovery. :P

Yes, looks like Leaf have been using XViD in their games for a while, and someone just pointed out the license to them. To their credit, they've reacted in the best possible way.

このGPLのソース公開義務に従い、弊社の上記4作品のソースコードを全て公開する事に致しました。
"In accordance with this GPL obligation to release source code, we are releasing the full source code for the four titles above" (i.e. TH2X, TtT, Kusari, and two scenarios of Aruaso).

This will indeed probably just be the game engines, but it's still nice.

bluemist
2005-12-13, 05:44
Sorry I don't understand... what's the relation between the game engines and XViD??

Isn't XViD a video codec? Are they releasing a XViD source code that they used in their games' videos? Or the game engine itself?

Haeleth
2005-12-13, 07:02
They included the XViD video playback code in their games. Now they've found out that the GPL says that if you distribute a program that uses a GPL library, you have to distribute the source code to your whole program. So they've decided to issue a public apology and release the necessary source code. They're currently working on isolating the affected code and preparing it for release.

It's anyone's guess what that will actually end up being; it will probably include some or all of the game engine.

zalas
2005-12-13, 09:48
They could've just used ffmpeg's MPEG4 decoder, since that is LGPL. Of course, both XviD and ffmpeg suffer from possible patent violations, so if they really wanted to be safe, they needed to have negotiated with the MPEG LA for MPEG4.

Too bad Utawarerumono/Tenina wasn't involved. Could've saved me a lot of trouble <_<

EDIT: Alas, submission to /. rejected, probably because the editors couldn't make out the Japanese <_<;

STaNLI
2005-12-13, 13:59
> TH2X, TtT, Kusari, and two scenarios of Aruaso

The scenario files use xvid o_O I'd always assumed "uses GPL code" means "won't compile without GPL source files"

Or maybe they're being *really* nice, and releasing them as examples of scenario files, to seed a game dev community around their engine :O

> possible patent violations

Heh, "possible". XViD are using the "no precompiled binaries = obviously educational, non-commercial use = no licence fee" loophole, but it's a wonder all the other projects which use their code and do give binaries haven't been sued out of existance yet. It's almost as if the MPEG realise sueing a couple of non-profit groups would make little money but lose a lot in reputation, which is a lot more sense than I've seen from some other industries :-/

zalas
2005-12-13, 16:21
> TH2X, TtT, Kusari, and two scenarios of Aruaso

The scenario files use xvid o_O I'd always assumed "uses GPL code" means "won't compile without GPL source files"

Their videos use XviD. For example, the To Heart 2 X-RATED demo opening movie, etc. were encoded in AviUtl with XviD.

> possible patent violations

Heh, "possible". XViD are using the "no precompiled binaries = obviously educational, non-commercial use = no licence fee" loophole, but it's a wonder all the other projects which use their code and do give binaries haven't been sued out of existance yet. It's almost as if the MPEG realise sueing a couple of non-profit groups would make little money but lose a lot in reputation, which is a lot more sense than I've seen from some other industries :-/
Yeah, I can't see how suing a developer who lives in their parents' basement (common funny stereotype of coders) would net them even the possibility of being able to recoup their legal fees.

Shii
2005-12-13, 16:31
but it's a wonder all the other projects which use their code and do give binaries haven't been sued out of existance yet.There's no MPEG patent in Europe. There is one in Japan, but as I have frequently stated, Japan does not actually have laws per se, as much as a bounty hunting "police" department and a drive-through "justice" system.

By the way, Leaf is awesome.

2005-12-19, 10:37
Using Xvid is alright and fine. Since it's an implementation of MPEG4 ASP, there's no problem.

However, since the engine is a commercial process, Leaf does need to get a license to use MPEG4 ASP in general. That's the true stickler at this point.

ChronoReverse
2005-12-19, 10:39
Argh, forgot to log in.

Anyways, what Leaf should've done to avoid this WHOLE mess was to encode their videos using xvid and for decoding, just use directshow.

This way, the user can install ffdshow, xvid, divx, etc. to playback the video, but Leaf doesn't have any xvid code in their program (and thus avoid and license issues). As for the encoding licensing, at this point I don't think they're quite worried about that.

Haeleth
2005-12-24, 12:20
Update (a couple of days late). They've decided to go for the mail-out approach, and they're charging a 600 yen handling fee, which is a bit naughty but probably legal... and of course only one person has to pay it!

And they'll start shipping source CDs in January. I look forward to downloads appearing...

zalas
2006-01-07, 16:42
Now if only TtT were as good as Utawarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerarerumono...

By the way, has anyone heard of them mailing it out yet? It looked like they were going to start mailing them out starting January, or was it after January...

Haeleth
2006-01-18, 07:01
Just got round to checking again, and it's now readily available (http://up.viploader.net/src/viploader2450.zip.html, download key "news").

Looks like they've stripped all the comments, which is a little naughty. Unsurprisingly, it's also not very portable code - heavily Win32-based, with quite a bit of inline ASM.

However, it will probably be invaluable to anyone who finds themselves hacking any of the included games. ^_^

zalas
2006-01-18, 15:24
キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

I guess it's now a lot easier for someone to port these games to other platforms?

Haeleth
2006-01-18, 15:57
I guess it's now a lot easier for someone to port these games to other platforms?
Provided they're other platforms that run on 32-bit x86 processors, provide the Win32 API, and use MSVC as the standard C++ compiler, yes.

Anything else, it might be easier to start over... (|| ゚Д゚)

Shii
2006-01-18, 16:18
Provided they're other platforms that run on 32-bit x86 processors, provide the Win32 API, and use MSVC as the standard C++ compiler, yes.Mac OS port, here we come!

zalas
2006-01-18, 17:03
Provided they're other platforms that run on 32-bit x86 processors, provide the Win32 API, and use MSVC as the standard C++ compiler, yes.

Anything else, it might be easier to start over... (|| ゚Д゚)
Well, I don't mean using the source directly. More like using the source as a guide for writing your own, especially the format of all the data files and the gameplay mechanics.

Haeleth
2006-01-18, 17:21
Ahh, yes, for that it would help.

Carl
2006-01-18, 18:11
Mac OS port, here we come!
Yeah baby! ( ◦∀◦)ゝ

zalas
2006-01-19, 02:46
Mac OS port, here we come!
Yeah baby! ( ◦∀◦)ゝ
If only one of the games had KOTOKO singing for it... because then we could say "Hey, you can play the games on your Mac now" XD

rodan
2006-01-30, 14:39
On an unrelated To Heart 2 note,
http://www.dannychoo.com/images/photo/1429.jpg

Haeleth
2006-01-30, 14:41
Isn't he a little short for a stormtrooper?

kouryuu
2006-01-30, 15:12
Isn't he a little short for a stormtrooper?

He was the runt of the cloning litter.

adun50
2006-01-30, 15:16
hahaha, I've been to that store as well.

Carl
2006-01-30, 23:22
The Dark Side has taste.

kouryuu
2006-01-31, 07:39
The Dark Side has taste.

Of course. The Dark side uses seduction. It BETTER have tatste.

zalas
2006-03-07, 01:12
So... any news of a crossplatform port based on the released source code for any of these games yet?

It looks like one would just have to reimplement some of the graphics and sound code and then write a header to define all the Visual Studio specific types...