PDA

View Full Version : Error installing Kanon...

Morion
2005-11-16, 12:58
I just tried installing Kanon (Original version, Windows XP), and received some error message. I could not read the message, so I tried the English installer from here. I received an error message again, which reads:

Unable to copy BG004N_1.PDT: aborting installation

If I look in C:\Kanon, there are some files already installed, but this one does not seem to like me. Out of interest, I tried copying it myself and received this error:

Cannot copy BG004N_1.PDT: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I have not been able to Google anything on this file, so does anyone here have any idea what could be going on?

Haeleth
2005-11-16, 14:01
I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that your Kanon CD is damaged - probably scratched - and this file cannot be read. The good news is that you can still install the game by doing so manually.

Try cleaning the CD and reinstalling first, but if that fails, do a manual install by copying as much as you can from the DAT and PDT folders, GAMEEXE.INI, and AVG3216M.EXE. Then drop me an email (haeleth@haeleth.net) with a list of the files that couldn't be copied, and I can send you copies of the files you're missing and a .reg file with the settings you need.

Morion
2005-11-17, 14:03
Thanks a lot for your help here: you have been a real life-saver! I copied the files (including the one you sent me) across fine, and installed the registry key. Everything seems to be working fine now (without any in-depth all possible paths tested game clearing). I just need to wait for your patch to reach 100% so I can play the game properly (rather than with plot summaries): thanks again for all your help!

I have just one, small question left --- a little off topic, but it has been really bugging me. Where is your avatar from? She looks familiar, but I cannot place her ;)

Haeleth
2005-11-17, 15:09
Good to hear everything's working! Remember to make a backup of the files I sent you, in case you ever want to reinstall.

As for the avatar, it's Chika Terada from Realize. (I wanted Saya, but couldn't find a decent picture.)

Morion
2005-11-17, 15:37
Thanks again :)

I have it backed up already. I currently have it on a Windows PC, but ultimately I want to try it on a Linux box with xkanon --- I shall wait a while on that one. With that in mind, I wanted to make it at painless as possible ;)

Solo
2005-11-19, 01:13
Hi!

Wow, I had the exact same problem with that file as well! I solved it by using a recovery software and I thought I did share the knowledge as my first post :)

The link to the software website is: http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
Download CDCheck, which is a nice little software that checks and recover errors for CDs. It helped me resolved my CRC problem... although its not 100% bound to work, its still a nice tool to have around.

Well anyway, my game seems to be working fine (hopefully) and Haeleth's translation is a god sent (Thanks Haeleth, looking forward for your 100% patch)! My only regret is that I couldn't get my hands on the voices :(

rionishida
2006-02-23, 14:22
it's a file that's broken in the pirated copy of kanon ;)

Haeleth
2006-02-23, 14:28
Hmm, I was beginning to wonder how such a consistent manufacturing defect could have suddenly appeared in a CD that's been out of print for several years...

Kainti
2006-02-24, 01:36
I had the same problem, but when i opened the image with the 'magic iso maker' or smth like that, it was able to copy it.

cyborg_alberto
2006-02-24, 02:56
it's a file that's broken in the pirated copy of kanon ;)

Hmmm... Like I suspected...

The same file... three times... Oh! Four times (A friend of mine was with the same problem...)

Well, I'm a lucky, because I didn't have the same problem... The rest you can imagine. =P´~[/insanity]

Now All I need is find the F... Kanon DC voice files...

See ya! ^_^

rionishida
2006-02-24, 05:51
it just means none of ye pirates out there will get to see nayuki's bedroom at night. *shock*

cyborg_alberto
2006-02-24, 06:56
it just means none of ye pirates out there will get to see nayuki's bedroom at night.

Hahahaha!
It isn't my case. *Gattling eating bullets. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-Grrrr-Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Yeh that's the way to waste time in the internet in nowadays...

See ya!

Haeleth
2006-02-24, 07:35
...and I think that about sums it up. @_@