PDA

View Full Version : Meta: split forums?

Haeleth
2005-10-03, 04:00
I observe that currently only a handful of the topics on the first page of the board are technically "on topic" in terms of actually discussing my projects, and only about 2/3 fit with the de facto topic of ren'ai/visual-novel-type games.

This leads me to wonder whether it might be worth adjusting the setup here a bit - in particular, whether people would find it helpful to have the board split up into several sections with more specific topics, or whether the all-in-one anarchy is something people like?

Any comments?

omgwtflolz
2005-10-03, 04:39
Better organization would be helpful, I think.

Vatina
2005-10-03, 04:55
I think that would help - that way you can also find the posts you're looking for easier?

Shii
2005-10-03, 05:07
This sounds like a right and proper plan.

AstCd2
2005-10-03, 06:45
I'm in favour.

Something like

1. Hæleþes áwendende
2. Translation/Renai/Otaku-Related
3. Miscellaneous discussion

perhaps?

zalas
2005-10-03, 11:30
It seems that the Misc topic wouldn't be as filled as the other ones...

What about....

1. Haeleth
2. Translation (like when gp32 comes in and announces stuff, or info on translation projects, how to translate, etc.)
3. Other Bishoujo/Galge/etc. (stuff that doesn't really deal with translation, but more like fan appreciation)

rodan
2005-10-03, 12:30
I think it would be best. But it's not something that needs to be done immeadiately, though.

kouryuu
2005-10-03, 13:59
I think Zalas's idea for splitting it would probably work best.

then you can go into haeleth for the tech assistance,
into translation for announcements and such

and our usual fun banter can go in the third.

l|ammamama
2005-10-03, 16:12
i third zalas' proposal~

adun50
2005-10-03, 17:17
sperating into sections would be a good idea. i third zalas's sugguestion

Maceart
2005-10-03, 19:44
I guess I'll "forth" Zalas' suggestion. Yes some organization of some sorts will help this forum a lot.

Woah. 100 Posts. Yeay for me.

Misu
2005-10-03, 23:01
Well, I for one shall deviant from everyone and say that I like the current setup. Its really easy to read becuase all the threads are on one easy page to see. On the flip side though, it does become slightly harder to find the old posts.

Nephillim
2005-10-03, 23:41
I second Misu's suggestion.

We don't really see all that many different threads popping up, and people may overlook other more sporadically updated areas (I can't even remember when was the last time I accessed the main page before jumping into the forums ^^;)

And searching for old posts can easily be solved with the "Search" option

Misu
2005-10-04, 00:25
Oh, and another thing, if you split the forum into multiple groups, I've noticed on other forums that do this, the less popular groups tend to get little to no posts and then few people even bother to continue reading and updating them, so its quite possible that might happen to certain sections if its split up.

Yet if everything is on one page, no matter what the topic is or what category it would normally fall in, it will show up as an update to the section and people will go look at it, and most likely add their two cents in.

Valkyrie
2005-10-04, 02:40
i'll agree with misu too. i've seen too many forums with certain sections that are totally dead or empty...>.<

zalas
2005-10-04, 02:50
Though, having less traffic in the Haeleth projects forum would encourage 葉レス様 to update more frequently, right? <_<;

Shii
2005-10-04, 04:21
Oh, and another thing, if you split the forum into multiple groups, I've noticed on other forums that do this, the less popular groups tend to get little to no posts and then few people even bother to continue reading and updating them, so its quite possible that might happen to certain sections if its split up.Your observations are quite right. However, in a large forum such as this, people may feel constrained by one big category, and splitting it up into two may make both subjects more popular.

I was also having doubts about a whole forum just for Haeleth's projects, but
1. Translations
(with the Kanon thread stickied) and
2. General Hakagi Fan Club
would prolly be sufficiently popular subjects.

byndhrzn
2005-10-04, 09:46
Yes, it would be good having separate eroge/galge misc forum.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-10-04, 09:53
Personally, I rather like the single-section style myself, and don't think it gets THAT far off of topic most of the time to warrant creating separate forums; however, should it be decided that we need different areas, I like Shii's suggestion - a forum for translation questions and announcements, and one for everything else.

If you guys want to see a real hell in terms of board arrangement, go check out the ASSEMbler Forums. What began years ago as a single message board on the EZboard hosting has become this giant, monstrous entity with no less than 10 sections, 11 if you count the Moderators area.
Although, that site has been plagued in recent month by an influx of intellectually devoid individuals, which may or may not be related to the larger format of the board. Hopefully this message board will never suffer that same fate *knock on wood.*

Donut
2005-10-04, 16:00
Maybe it's better if it stays like this, When the forum grows a bit bigger or if it does maybe then I't be a better idea to start thinking about splitting it up- Vatina had a valuable comment I belieave. Maybe give this forum a bit of design, if someone could :P

Shii
2005-10-04, 16:04
Oh, is it 10/05 in England now? Happy birthday to me (´・ω・`)
Maybe give this forum a bit of design, if someone could :PIt doesn't need much, but a logo to replace the phpbb one would be nice.

Like this, say.
http://astrange.ithinksw.net/sa/shii/untitled.png

K
2005-10-04, 21:35
Or we could 2ch-ize it ^__^

adun50
2005-10-05, 02:17
Oh, is it 10/05 in England now? Happy birthday to me (´・ω・`)

OMG, Happy Birthday to Me too! and Happy Birthday to you Shii

Donut
2005-10-05, 05:05
Happybirthday to both of you XD O_o. Indeed a cool pic instead of that phpbb thing. But I still think something should be done to make the newly posted thread look fresher :)

Haeleth
2005-10-05, 05:58
Or something like this one?

http://forums.haeleth.net/templates/subHaeleth/images/logo_phpBB.png

Bother, now I need to change the rest of the colour scheme... it doesn't like the blue or the orange. :(

Feel free to try the work-in-progress "subHaeleth" theme. If you like beige. And don't mind half-finished themes where I haven't edited the icons yet.

Freakker
2005-10-05, 08:17
Nice...

Haeleth
2005-10-05, 14:28
Plenty of good comments. Thanks all! ^_^

The idea I'm tending towards now is something along the lines of Shii's suggestion - two boards, one of which is very on-topic and covers support for and questions directly about my translations, and the other of which is basically what we have here right now.

The advantage there would be that it wouldn't matter if hardly anyone posted in the "on-topic" forum - because you don't want a lot of people to be having technical problems they need to ask about! :D

GreatSaintLouis
2005-10-05, 16:22
Just asking - would the Translation section be specifically related to your Kanon translation (and any other projects you might be up to after), or would it be translation-related in general, i.e. things like gp32 posting the latest insani ONScripter builds or people crying, "Help! KAG3 ate my DVD-ROM drive!"?

EDIT: Hey! The subHaeleth scheme is really cool! Good work!

K
2005-10-05, 18:12
Hey, this is going a long way toward giving the forum its own unique feel, which is always important. I'll have to get used to it, but at least now it doesn't, you know, look like default. Great ^_^

l|ammamama
2005-10-05, 19:18
EDIT: Hey! The subHaeleth scheme is really cool! Good work!

??? what changed?

*edit: oh!

Vatina
2005-10-05, 21:03
I just changed to the new scheme as well ^^ Nice

adun50
2005-10-06, 00:50
just checked out the scheme, very nice

Donut
2005-10-06, 02:24
mm not bad, It gives it a better feeling with some other colour on. Great job Haeleth :D

kouryuu
2005-10-06, 11:56
Feel free to try the work-in-progress "subHaeleth" theme.

? O.o ? what theme?

Haeleth
2005-10-06, 12:05
Profile -> Board Style -> select subHaeleth from list box. Enjoy (and try to ignore the blue and orange buttons, I'll fix them soon, honest!)

Moeru
2005-10-06, 12:09
Been usin the theme since I started actually ^^ Its sorta cozy (even with the orange\blue buttons)

kouryuu
2005-10-06, 12:18
Profile -> Board Style -> select subHaeleth from list box. Enjoy (and try to ignore the blue and orange buttons, I'll fix them soon, honest!)

ooooh. It is cozy! ^_^ I like.

zalas
2005-10-06, 15:42
Looks like we just started getting some of the graphics retinted \o/

Shii
2005-10-06, 16:34
The thread icons are from another theme with a "fantasy" style. Changing the other icons is a bit harder because the fantasy icons are silly, and there's no other theme with the proper colors to use.

Yes, I looked this up yesterday (´・ω・`)

By the way, the URL color is hard to see without any underline... testtest (http://oralse.cx/)test

omgwtflolz
2005-10-06, 18:10
There's always an easy way out, though. Like greyscale → increase colour depth → aged newspaper.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1425/quotebutton2rj.gif

Iriliane
2005-10-06, 20:23
There's always an easy way out, though. Like greyscale → increase colour depth → aged newspaper.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1425/quotebutton2rj.gif

That looks quite nice and fits well with the rest of the design (which is also very good).

zalas
2005-10-06, 20:45
Perhaps the title for each column in the table could be done in like a light tan? This would include "Post a reply", "Author", "Message", "Topics", etc.

Haeleth
2005-10-07, 04:10
The thread icons are from another theme with a "fantasy" style.
Nope, actually all the graphics (apart from the subSilver stuff I haven't replaced yet) are original.

(In the sense of being drawn from scratch, not of being novel designs, that is. Once you've decided to use the standard "little bit of paper in a circle" icon, there are only so many ways you can draw it...)

Anyway, the remaining bitmaps will probably be staying as they are for a few days now. gp32 will kill me if I don't stop messing with themes and get on with al|together stuff... ;_;

Shii
2005-10-07, 15:06
Oh! Good job!

I changed the name of this forum to "Hæleþes gemot" on my page... I think it has a nice ring to it, better than "Haelethes Awendende Forums" anyway.

Misu
2005-10-07, 18:03
Oh wow o_O.... very impressive on the theme. Good job.

Now..... *cough cough* the front page for Haeleth Awendende ^^;;....

AstCd2
2005-10-07, 19:17
I do like the new design, but would it be possible to widen the line-spacing back to that of the original? It's a little difficult to read longer posts when they're stuck so close together.

Haeleth
2005-10-08, 02:31
I changed the name of this forum to "Hæleþes gemot" on my page...
Good idea. I hope you don't mind my stealing it. ^_^

would it be possible to widen the line-spacing back to that of the original?
I didn't even realise I'd changed it. The damn subSilver theme contains two stylesheets, and I foolishly assumed that because they claimed to be the same, they would be. Grr.

Freakker
2005-10-08, 13:50
I changed the name of this forum to "Hæleþes gemot" on my page...
I learn new words from the most unsuspecting places.

K
2005-10-08, 20:55
Unsuspecting? Or unexpected?

And I thought a translation site would be at least partially language-oriented, to high enough a degree that this wouldn't be too random a place to learn vocabulary.

Haeleth
2005-10-09, 03:47
Well, both... I doubt either this site or Shii's page ever suspected people would learn Old English vocabulary from them. ;)

Freakker
2005-10-09, 22:23
Yeah, unexpected.

zalas
2005-10-10, 01:06
I think a picture of Plucky popping out of a typewriter going "Expect the unexpected!" is in order <_<

l|ammamama
2005-10-11, 12:17
ooo schnazzy "New topic" and "post reply" buttons!

Haeleth
2005-10-11, 12:29
The post-al|together celebratory theme update. There's a Japanese set, too - http://forums.haeleth.net/templates/subHaeleth/images/lang_japanese/reply-locked.gif and so forth.

Misu
2005-10-11, 22:59
Haha... funny how this topics changed from "should we split the forums?" to "Haeleth's pretty eye-candy-thank-god-we-got-a-change-to-the-blah-forums-for-so-many-months ^^".

kouryuu
2005-10-12, 20:40
yes, but would work be half as rewarding if not for the praising commentary or educationally critical commentary thusly recieved?

Besides. eye candy can be fun ^_^.

Spiritsnare
2005-10-12, 20:41
subHaeleth? I like it. XD

I'm so used to saying Haelethes Awendende, though.

edit uwaaah~the Japanese version interestingly looks a bit better than the English.

zalas
2005-10-12, 21:56
For some reason, I'm tempted to want the "quote" button to say "Quoth the raven: nevermore" XD

Haeleth
2005-10-13, 04:14
the Japanese version interestingly looks a bit better than the English.
Better font (DynaFont 行楷書), and that particular button has the right text colour.

For some reason, I'm tempted to want the "quote" button to say "Quoth the raven: nevermore" XD
Totally the wrong period, I'm afraid. A better quote would be something like "swa cwæð snottor on mode", a passage which has stuck in my head largely for using the utterly brilliant word "snottor" (old man), which it is my life's ambition to reintroduce into the English language.

Shii
2005-10-16, 10:01
I have two requests for forum modifications that may or may not be useful...

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=141622

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=268331

K
2005-10-16, 10:41
A better quote would be something like "swa cwæð snottor on mode", a passage which has stuck in my head largely for using the utterly brilliant word "snottor" (old man), which it is my life's ambition to reintroduce into the English language.
The pronunciation doesn't come readily to mind. How would you say "snottor" anyway?

Haeleth
2005-10-16, 13:35
I have two requests for forum modifications that may or may not be useful...
Looks reasonable. The avatar one installed cleanly; the jabber one's giving me problems, so it'll have to wait till I have time to look at what's going wrong.

The pronunciation doesn't come readily to mind. How would you say "snottor" anyway?
['snQt:Qr].

cyborg_alberto
2005-10-16, 14:52
It appears I'm here TOOOOOOOO late... :)

Haeleth: It's a good Idea make a "better organization" in the forums, although I'm used with the Chaos (Not the Forum chaos, The Life chaos. My life is a great chaos, and My Win98 is the greatest chaos of all)
And your "SubHaeleth" is very fine. The color mathes with my avatar colors and the avatar "localization" (A place with lava) :)

And all here gave good ideas...
I have an opnion, based in all others (I don't wanna receive any kind of thanks by using the ideas of the others of this topic. No chef, It isn't my style)
1- One Great block about translation projects/downloads and such
2- One great block for anime comments and such
=> Maybe a sub-block for different animes
=> OR a block with Key/Visual Arts animes and other for other animes. "Why?" you ask... Well, once I've saw this topic: "Da capo - Ok, wrong place to(I don't remember the rest, but it's talkin' about Da Capo)" so, I ask you: "Why not?"
3- One great block for miscellaneous post, like forum games...
=> Maybe sub-sections, but I have no good ideas for them.
But, it would be more intersting if this "blocks" are shown in the forum's main page.
EDIT: I've used "Block" like "section" here. Notice me If I've used "Block" of a wrong way.

Well, I hope I had been usefull today.
See ya!

Haeleth
2005-10-31, 15:42
Well, subHaeleth seems to work well enough as it is, and I'm not going to get round to fixing the remaining buttons quite yet, so I've gone ahead and made it the default.

People should easily be able to switch back to subSilver if they don't like it.

New
2005-10-31, 22:37
Ohhhhh, I like this. :D All old-styling and stuff. It's pretty nifty.