PDA

View Full Version : Problems playing Kanon and Air.

NeoEllis
2005-09-19, 21:00
Not long ago, I ordered from Himeya Shop the Standard Editions of both Kanon and AIR, today they arrived and they seemed to install, after a bit of trial and error, successfully. However, upon actually getting into the games, I encounter a problem. For example, I start a new game with AIR, select the Dream scenario and go through the intro, however, when the screen showing the blue clouded sky and the text box appears, my computer freezes up and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete my way out. The same problem occurs when I try to play Kanon.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a brand new computer. I've tried switching the Region settings to Japan and even tried playing the games through AppLocale but I still can't get them to work.

Any suggestion?

cyborg_alberto
2005-09-19, 21:40
Strange...

Well, I have a friend (Here in Brazil; I said this because I'm brazilian, and don't notice my bad english ok?) who gets the AIR game (But I think he has taken the adult version; He has taken the game downloading it with e-mule) and he uses Windows XP (If Home or Professional edition I don't know...)...

And the game works normal in my friend's PC...

Sorry, but I have NO ideas for your case...

However, Try start the Kanon/AIR without the game CDs...
If the game works, you can use the _inmm.dll to play all the game music using the wav/mp3 CD musics (I mean: Get the Kanon/AIR CD, extrat the musics of the CDs, in WAV or MP3, use the _inmm.dll and the party is completed! I'm sorry, but I don't have how to explain the _inmm.dll operation, because my english skill doesn't permit such think, but it isn't hard... but you'll need winamp for this...)

The _inmm.dll can be found in the Haeleth's page, http://www.haeleth.net/kanon.html

before I forget, The _inmm.dll can be used for change the CD players: Instead use the CD-ROM engine to play the musics, usng the _inmm.dll you can use the winamp for this. Problems with music are related using the Kanon with 2k/XP. Here, in http://www.haeleth.net/kanon.html
Haeleth talks something about this. read and get some good information for help you.

And Here, in
http://www.haeleth.net/kanon_dl.html

You'll find the Haeleth's Kanon partial english translation patch. Enjoy! :)

Here in the foruns have some information about the game, but I don't read them... Try to find some useful information here.
Good luck!

But if the game doesn't work... I'm so sorry... but I have no ideas to you...

I won't enter in this forum in the normal days (Monday to friday) again, only in some weekends, and it's all I know...

I hope I could help you with this...

Vatina
2005-09-19, 23:00
Try looking in the FAQ, I found something that helped me there when my Kanon froze (something about installing a font)

I won't promise anything though

Haeleth
2005-09-20, 02:45
Yup. Either install Japanese fonts till it works, or switch your "default language for non-Unicode applications" to Japanese.

NeoEllis
2005-09-20, 08:00
Alright, I tried playing around with it a bit based on what I read, and managed to get AIR to work, so I imagine Kanon will as well. Many thanks!

NeoEllis
2005-09-20, 15:34
Sorry for the double post, but it would seem I've spoken just a bit too soon ^_^()

Both Air and Kanon now run properly, so I assume that they installed correctly as well. However, when I run the installation .exe for the Kanon translation, I get an error message that says that the program can't locate Kanon. I try to locate the file in the C:\Program Files\KEY\KANON_SE section, but I only get folders which don't allow me to hit "Next".

Any and all thanks in advance.

zalas
2005-09-20, 15:39
I don't think Haeleth has released translation patches for the rereleases of Kanon...

NeoEllis
2005-09-20, 20:45
Oh yeah, the patch doesn't support the 2004 Standard Edition... damnit...

Haeleth
2005-09-21, 02:27
Fear not, the next release will, and it should be ready before the heat death of the universe. ^_^

NeoEllis
2005-09-21, 07:24
Hurray!

I guess I can always capture artwork from Air in the meantime...

Oh, and does _inmm.dll work with the Standard Editions of Air and Kanon?

Haeleth
2005-09-21, 09:30
I honestly don't know, but why would you want it to? The only advantage it has, that I know of, is that it lets you easily replace the CD audio used by the old versions with MP3 or WAV files that don't have the same playback problems on some NT-based machines. The Standard Editions don't use CD audio in the first place, so it becomes unnecessary if all you want to do is play the game properly under Windows XP.

Freakker
2005-09-21, 12:24
Fear not, the next release will, and it should be ready before the heat death of the universe. ^_^
So, by next July?

zalas
2005-09-21, 12:40
Or we can use AstCd2's time table, and say January <_<;

NeoEllis
2005-09-21, 14:35
I honestly don't know, but why would you want it to? The only advantage it has, that I know of, is that it lets you easily replace the CD audio used by the old versions with MP3 or WAV files that don't have the same playback problems on some NT-based machines. The Standard Editions don't use CD audio in the first place, so it becomes unnecessary if all you want to do is play the game properly under Windows XP.

Mmm, I was under the impression that _inmm.dll could be used to extract the music to be played one's lissure... but I guess that's what I get for just skimming a post.

One more thing, would anyone know how to work that English patch for Air that's suppose to cover some of the Dream arc? I've downloaded it, but it only appears as a text file for me.

Once, again, thanks to all of you who've helped out this ignorant newbie.

AstCd2
2005-09-21, 14:38
Or we can use AstCd2's time table, and say January <_<;

My what-now? O_o;
If I know something, I wish I'd tell us =P

Haeleth
2005-09-21, 15:38
One more thing, would anyone know how to work that English patch for Air that's suppose to cover some of the Dream arc? I've downloaded it, but it only appears as a text file for me.
That also only works with the old version, I'm afraid. However, I understand someone may be working on converting it to work with the Standard Edition, even if zalas isn't.