PDA

View Full Version : Bidding from Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Misu
2005-08-26, 07:04
So, I was thinking of grabbing a couple things of Yahoo Auctions JP, since I'm cheap and I've never used one of the auction fetching sites, I figured I would ask here first.

So, I live in the US. (Washington State to be exact). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good companies to put my auctions through. I know of Akibado, Celga, and Rinkya, but past that I dont know much about the companies, their services, and the fees (ive read the fee calculations, but you know, sometimes extra fees are always added on ><). So, if anyone has suggestions or reviews of those companies or any other auction fetching companies, please put them up here ^^.

Shii
2005-08-26, 07:42
Importing things from Yahoo Auctions is very, very expensive. Don't waste your money trying to get UFO catchers, for instance-- wait for them to show up on eBay.

adun50
2005-08-26, 15:46
i've used Akibado once and I can tell you, they are very slow in repsonding to their emails, though I did get what I wanted. but generally getting anything through a third party service for Yahoo Japan Auctions is quite expensive. I pretty much paid an extra 40% on top of what it was actually worth due to shipping and processing. also not to mention it took about a month to get to me.

zalas
2005-08-26, 15:53
Personally I use Shopping Mall Japan, while my friend has been a good customer of Celga. What I've heard about Celga though is that their customer service isn't very good (except for maybe their "good" customers :/). Shopping Mall Japan seems to be a relatively small joint, so they'll not have the "stability" and "professionalism" of larger operations. However, they do respond to emails very nicely, and I haven't had too much problems with them. They let you bid yourself, instead of Celga, which usually you have to contact to have them place a bid for you (well, at least it used to be that way). SMJ charges a handling fee, and use a slightly lower JPY->USD conversion rate than the actual rate, so those are points where they'll get your money.

Also, I've ordered various things before, and um... let's see an issue of Comptiq (comparable to a medium/thin phonebook style manga magazine) cost me 100 yen to bid and like 1710 yen internal shipping and charges (stuff to get the item to their warehouse in Japan). They charge a shipping charge afterwards when it reaches the US warehouse when you want it shipped to your home. So like, they charge shipping for within Japan, and within US, but not from Japan->US.

Haeleth
2005-08-26, 15:53
I pretty much paid an extra 40% on top of what it was actually worth due to shipping and processing.
That goes for most orders from Japan, mind... for example, if you try ordering a few cheap manga volumes from amazon.co.jp, generally they'll try to charge more for the shipping than for the actual products!

(But amazon.co.jp just sucks generally if you're not in Japan.)

So, uh, yeah, if you can get any of the stuff you're after from a bulk importer in your country, it'll probably be cheaper to use them, even if the price they're charging is higher than the list price in Japan, because S&H from Japan is a ripoff.

zalas
2005-08-26, 15:57
Yesasia actually has a few Japanese items here and there and their prices are pretty good, including good shipping prices (I think they used to have a >$40 => free shipping offer). But I think they only carry a few manga and DVDs/CDs, and their site isn't the easiest to navigate for Japanese stuff. (Navigating in Japanese is so much easier than in English)

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-26, 16:05
I'm currently waiting for a package to arrive at the Akibado offices so they can ship it to me, but from looking over their fees, they seem pretty reasonable - it looks like the fees for my particular item (a $50 piece of computer software I'll gloat about when it arrives) are only around $10 total, excluding shipping to Akibado and then here. It certainly looks better than either Celga or Rinkya, I'll say that much.

deoch
2005-09-09, 21:45
As others have said, using Deputy services is really expensive. I bought a book for 8100 yen, and after commission (14$) and shipping fees (31$!), the final bill ended up being 122$... Not quite what I was hoping to pay...

GreatSaintLouis
2005-09-10, 01:53
Oh, forgot Yesasia, as Zalas mentioned - they're pretty good as far as prices and shipping. I got the first part of <span title = "Kara No Kyoukai">空の境界</span> for a pretty decent price from them - something like $22 after shipping. </eggplant mushroom>

Say, if anyone else wants to order any books from Amazon, maybe we should all chip in on a single order? I know for slow shipping it's $12 per shipment and then $3 per book; I forget off the top of my head what EMS shipping is. Everyone could pay the cost of their book(s) and the per-book fee, plus an equal share of the shipment cost, and the order could be sent to some trustworthy individual who would then distribute the spoils. Just an idea, at least.

Soulfang
2005-09-10, 03:43
Oh, forgot Yesasia, as Zalas mentioned - they're pretty good as far as prices and shipping. I got the first part of <span title = "Kara No Kyoukai">空の境界</span> for a pretty decent price from them - something like $22 after shipping. </eggplant mushroom>

Say, if anyone else wants to order any books from Amazon, maybe we should all chip in on a single order? I know for slow shipping it's $12 per shipment and then $3 per book; I forget off the top of my head what EMS shipping is. Everyone could pay the cost of their book(s) and the per-book fee, plus an equal share of the shipment cost, and the order could be sent to some trustworthy individual who would then distribute the spoils. Just an idea, at least.
For all that trouble, I'd rather just order it myself ^^

Also, if you're looking for a place that sells manga in the US, Sasuga Books is pretty good, although it took them about a week to process my order.