View Full Version : Release: Narcissu

Haeleth
2005-08-21, 09:05
デキタ━━━━━━\(T▽T)/━━━━━━ !!!!!

http://narcissu.insani.org/

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-21, 09:09
キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!

(Dangit Haeleth, you beat me to the announcement AND to a kaomoji! :p )

Misu
2005-08-21, 09:15
Another good success from Haeleth and insani!

Oh, hey, the torrent is finished! *goes away now*

Nephillim
2005-08-21, 09:18
Somehow had the feeling it'll get translated.
Thanks gp32 and haeleth.
*Proceeds to regret taking biology*

mr.aufziehvogel
2005-08-21, 09:46
is it availiable via http? i am running knoppix live cd now and i have java 1.4.2. the newest azureus seems to have probs with it. i get 65k of the linux version and 700byte of the win version. then both stuck.

hmmm

gp32
2005-08-21, 09:55
What do you mean, "somehow"? In the initial thread, I'd stated that I had "no future plans" to translate the piece. Which was to say: I was currently working on it. It can't be a future plan if it's a current implementation ...

ChocoEd
2005-08-21, 10:26
is it availiable via http?
Not at the moment. It is available from an fserve over IRC, though (#nnl on irc.zirc.org). Also, Misu-net (http://www.misu-net.com) has been pretty good about mirroring our releases after a little while.

Nephillim
2005-08-21, 10:30
What do you mean, "somehow"? In the initial thread, I'd stated that I had "no future plans" to translate the piece. Which was to say: I was currently working on it. It can't be a future plan if it's a current implementation ...

*バク!*

Nice one there..... ^^;
I'll post more feedback after I'm done with it, but for now just a quick quip: What were the translation styles you (and haeleth) chose to adopt for each script?

gp32
2005-08-21, 10:31
We have included separate translators' afterwords in the work itself that explain our decisions quite nicely, I think.

That aside: Tomo Kataoka speaks a lot about "scenario present" and "scenario absent" -- that is to say, whether the reader gets certain things explained to him or not. In a gross generalization, Haeleth went with a more reader-oriented approach; I went as purely minimal (note: this has nothing to do with 'literal'!) as I could.

New- In Shock
2005-08-21, 10:49
*Stares at project site*

*Stares again*

*Stares some more*

*Stares at own writework*

*Stares back at site*

*Matches and compares*

*Finds it incredibly similar, despite never having heard of this up til now*

0_0

*World begins crashing down*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Back to the drawing boards, I guess. T_T

I suppose despite the horrid feeling of dread I now have, I'll download a copy in a couple of weeks when I have my computer back.

2005-08-21, 14:15
Taking a break from packing, as I move tomorrow, I checked the internet. And I happened to check this site while doing so. And I happened to download Narcissu. And now I happen to be behind schedule with packing. As is life. Now if only I could happen to find a way to get the music so I could listen to it while I drive tomorrow.

Haeleth
2005-08-21, 14:22
Now if only I could happen to find a way to get the music so I could listen to it while I drive tomorrow.
Go here (http://nscripter.insani.org/sdk.html), and download NSAOut, and run it in your Narcissu folder. And then look for MP3s in the folder that miraculously appears. (They're spread over more than one subfolder, so be sure to poke around.)

(Dangit Haeleth, you beat me to the announcement AND to a kaomoji! :p )
Blame gp32, he treacherously betrayed your cunning plot.

gp32
2005-08-21, 14:33
And then look for MP3s in the folder that miraculously appears. (They're spread over more than one subfolder, so be sure to poke around.)
Folders, actually. Most of the ones you want would end up in bgm/.

Mea culpa, mea culpa ...

Haeleth
2005-08-21, 14:37
Folders, actually. Most of the ones you want would end up in bgm/.
Oh, I must have moved them into a separate folder myself. Sorry for the misinformation.

2005-08-21, 14:45
Now if only I could happen to find a way to get the music so I could listen to it while I drive tomorrow.
Go here (http://nscripter.insani.org/sdk.html), and download NSAOut, and run it in your Narcissu folder. And then look for MP3s in the folder that miraculously appears. (They're spread over more than one subfolder, so be sure to poke around.)

Thank you very much! (For both the music files and the translation)

Misu
2005-08-21, 15:35
is it availiable via http?

It's been up on our servers for about four hours now. We generally try to put up releases within twelve hours of their intial release ^^.
:Misu-Net

Oh woops... I just noticed he was on Knoppix. Ah well, I've been meaning to upload the Hani Hani and Narcissu multiformats. Might as well get around to them now ^^;;.

Update:
Linux version of Narcissu is up if you want to direct download it.

zalas
2005-08-21, 17:39
Most of that music would cause me to drive intentionally off a cliff or into the river... >_>

Anyway, good job on the translation, though I've only had time to play the voiced version. I even stayed up late playing it just to finish it <_<

gp32
2005-08-21, 17:51
OH MY GOD!

Of all 10 people who were on the QC team, you were the ONE person to play the voiced version first, then.

Nanatuha
2005-08-21, 17:56
オ━━━━(゜∇゜)━━━ツカレサマ━ッ!!

Nonvoiced version is also quite tasty as well. I imagined Satsuma means sweet potato at first.

Soulfang
2005-08-21, 18:26
Most of that music would cause me to drive intentionally off a cliff or into the river... >_>
Seconded on that one.

mr.aufziehvogel
2005-08-21, 19:24
hmm..so i am the second one who played the voiced version first. and i am not finished yet.

i go to bed now and will finish tomorow (voiced and then unvoiced)

i want to thank you people for translating such an emotional game.

this game here is at the same level like planetarian (which is my fav) for me..but things can change..i haven't played air and kanon yet (i can't read jap :(

omgwtflolz
2005-08-21, 20:38
Haven't found the time to play this yet, and haven't even completed the original, but if you're wondering, I went for voice first.

gp32
2005-08-21, 20:53
I'd be interested to see the results of a poll that asked "did you play the voiced version or the unvoiced version first?"

Well, rather, I'd be interested in hearing everybody's reasons as to why they chose to experience one before the other. As, I suspect, would Tomo Kataoka.

(I should note that indeed I would like to gather these responses, translate them into Japanese, and send them off to Tomo Kataoka when the queue gets large enough. I would like your permission to do so.)

Shii
2005-08-21, 21:07
I'd be interested to see the results of a poll that asked "did you play the voiced version or the unvoiced version first?"Voiced, because it's there on my harddrive and it'd better make good use of it.

AstCd2
2005-08-21, 21:34
I chose the voiced option when I first played the Japanese version.

While I respect the arguments that having voice is destructive in a certain sense to the supplementary role of the user's imagination, I think that really applies more to a case where you've already played the game without voices and formed a pre-existing impression of how the characters should be. I can see how having voice in that situations might render implausible or even 'wrong' a lot of the thinking done by the player.

But in absence of prior experience with a game, my personal opinion is that playing the voiced version first is the superior choice.

Character voices convey a lot more than the dialogue and emotions behind them - they are telling of the person behind the character, making them a medium no less worthy than words and pictures. If words and pictures could be restrictive to the imagination, they are only so in the sense that they set the boundaries for the narrative and give definition to the concepts presented in the story. Surely the same is true of voice, in that its shaping of the character only serves to reveal to us a little more about the character to think about - perhaps in a way we wouldn't have come to without it - much like a well-written epilogue or well-conceived picture.

But before some other wag mentions it, yes, a far more compelling reason is: せつみタンの声(insert appropriate kaomoji)ハァハァ

omgwtflolz
2005-08-21, 22:07
I personally feel that going for the voiced version first would severely limit your impression of the character to what's fed to you via the voice acting.

...but I always go for voiced versions first, anyway. Just a preference, I guess.

But before some other wag mentions it, yes, a far more compelling reason is: せつみタンの声(insert appropriate kaomoji)ハァハァ

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3922/hennahito7wd.jpg

zalas
2005-08-21, 22:21
I chose the voiced one because I wanted to experience as much of it in as short an amount of time as possible. However, sometimes I felt that her voice acting got a bit confusing, especially when she used the same sighing sound for what I thought would be different meanings of '...'

Maceart
2005-08-21, 23:42
Just played it. Stayed up till 2 AM to finish the voiced version.

I have to say, it's very good. the 12 music tracks were meticulously composed and fit the mood well, the few CG's that were there made an impact, and overall the story flowed pretty smoothly.

Hey, it's free, so I've nothing to object. n_n

byndhrzn
2005-08-22, 01:56
To make it short I prefer voiced games cause it's whole lot more immersive. Haven't downloaded game yet, but thnx for translation anyway.

Haeleth
2005-08-22, 05:04
I imagined Satsuma means sweet potato at first.
Not "Satsuma-imo", but mikan from Satsuma-no-kuni.
(And to confuse matters even more, in Australia I understand a satsuma is a kind of plum. -_-)

Nanatuha
2005-08-22, 06:52
I imagined Satsuma means sweet potato at first.
Not "Satsuma-imo", but mikan from Satsuma-no-kuni.
(And to confuse matters even more, in Australia I understand a satsuma is a kind of plum. -_-)

Really. While we call the orange Unsyu/Wenzhou (of China) -mikan. :D

I felt nonvoiced version is very effective in changing speed. but also I felt nonvoiced is slightly difficult to distinguish that who said lines because there is no difference with male's/female's speech. (may be merely lack of my understanding)

Anyway I must say it's unfair to slow down the speed suddenly. I was nearly gotten to cry even though I knew what comes next. ^^

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-22, 09:11
OH MY GOD!

Of all 10 people who were on the QC team, you were the ONE person to play the voiced version first, then.
Wait, what about me??

There wasn't any real conscious reason behind which one I played first - I knew I'd get through both of them eventually, and the Voiced option was just the one I clicked first. I wish there were some deeper reason I could explain, but the reality was that I was just clicking stuff and Voiced happened to be the first option I hit.

I usually do. It helps me sleep better at night, plus there's a whole potpourri of societal ills you can attribute to that guy!

Spiritsnare
2005-08-22, 10:34
Downloading right now. Wai~~full game for free~

zalas
2005-08-22, 18:15
Would there be any easy way to get ahold of a few hard copies of this game other than getting someone to visit Tora no Ana for us or to use the auctions?

Freak Of Nature
2005-08-22, 18:44
I just downloaded and played Narcissu (I chose to follow the voiced version first, since that seems to be a matter of some interest to you), and I wanted to give you the courtesy of a "thank you" for your good work.

This is an excellent translation, from what I can tell (and I'm no tyro in the translation field), and you've chosen a very worthwhile project to devote yourself to. As I read the finale of the novel, I found myself weeping uncontrollably. I'm no stone statue, but it takes a good story to move me that deeply.

Anyway: thank you and ご苦労さま!

Tsubasa
2005-08-22, 20:02
Greetings all. I'm a long time sporatic reader of these forums, but I've just registered cause I feel like saying a few things, especially about this release.

First, I want to say that it is a beautiful piece of writing that was impeccably translated. I personally would have opted for a slightly different wording maybe once per chapter, but taken as a whole, it was a very strong translation.

As for the voice vs. unvoiced issue, I chose voiced first. There are two major reasons for this. For one thing, I play primarily console adaptations of bishoujo games and newer PC games that have voice, so it was something of a matter of habit to opt to hear voices. Second, I wanted to know what the characters were saying. I cannot read much written Japanese, but I understand a fair amount of the spoken language. And anyone with a basic understanding of Japanese and English knows that an English translation cannot, by the structure of the language, convey the nuances present in the Japanese language. There were a number of times when I read the translation faster than the speech, mentally translated it to Japanese, and was proven wrong when I heard the voice. If anything, playing it voiced allowed me to get a better feeling of Setsumi's character through her speech pattern.

Upon reading the production notes after having completed the voice play-through, I couldn't help but feel that perhaps an unvoiced playthrough would have been better, but it's not like I can take it back now.

l|ammamama
2005-08-22, 21:03
Well i suppose i might as well come out of hiding as well.

I'd fall more under the more extremely short-term heavy reader of these forums, god knows i had to in order to understand all the inside jokes and references you folks use in this dark corner of the intra-web. I'm a rl friend of Misu, who was the one that dragged me kicking, screaming, and weeping like a little schoolgirl into the ren-ai genre. In a very manly sense though, i assure you ;;>_>

I'm a student of japanese myself and after slumming it through 4 years of high-school japanese courses, i finally bucked down and am now little more then half-way through learning how to write the general use characters (using heisig (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/4889960759/002-2620582-2918431?v=glance)'s strategy), which is not exatly the most fun i've ever had but then again kanji never was... But enough about me ~~

First of all i wanted to thank haeleth and gp32 for the simply awesome translation of Narcissu - it more then a nice suprise to have such a well-crafted game for free And translated. Now i suppose that the only two visual novels/games that i've played through completely were thanks to you two. The planetarian demo was actually my first experence with the genre, and i enjoyed it so much that i immediately went out and bought myself a copy, then finished it the same day - thanks to you guys of course ^^

For the actual playthrough of narcissu i chose to play the un-voiced version first, partly because i've not had much of any experenced with voiced games, and partly because the game's minimalistic approach lent itself well to being firmly rooted in my imagination versus someone else's voice. Once i play through it again with the voiced version i'll report back~

As for Haeleths' translation of the un-voiced version, needless to say it allayed any fears i had about the 'guy translating kannon' being a 'crazy britt' with the vernacular to boot. Sure, there were a few more 'shant's, lorries, and loos then i would have put in myself, but it gave it an extra little bit of flavor if nothing else. I've dipped my toes into translating just a tiny bit (helping out misu), and i know how hard it is to get a flowing English sentance out of a flowing Japanese sentance.. and i shant' be exaggerating when i say you did a marvelous job!

Keep up the good work you guys =) your efforts are appriciated by more people then you see posting on the forums!! but with that said you'll probably see a little bit more of me around these parts ~

*edit* oh, and some of you folks not quite so 'down' with reading kanji like me will probably find this right-click dictionary (that i have set up to work with Goo) of some use.

http://www.pwrsrc.net/~hrahrahra/l%7Camma%27s%20shiat/dict_extension.JPG

- i literally just found this thing before i made this post (as evident by the picture, of course!) and i have a feeling i'll be making good use of it - the link to the extension i used is here (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=68)

*edit 2* you know i think the board just dosn't like that | character that i use =(
It was that and the '. I've escaped them for you. - Haeleth

gp32
2005-08-22, 21:55
(sorry copy/paste the url.. its a big picture and for some reason the board wont let me make a link out of it ;_;)

What, like this (http://www.pwrsrc.net/~hrahrahra/l|amma's%20shiat/dict_extension.JPG)?

l|ammamama
2005-08-22, 22:16
What, like this (http://www.pwrsrc.net/~hrahrahra/l|amma's%20shiat/dict_extension.JPG)?

heyy now thats cheating! i dont know any of these crazy 'ahref' commands >;(

is there somthing with the [url=blahblah] tags that dont allow you to link to a .jpg file?

gp32
2005-08-22, 22:19
No, it's just that phpBB chokes on |. So you escape that with an actual HTML command instead. Now go back to reading the voiced version. After you've done that, then go ahead and read the "World" and "Medical" sections of the website in full. See how that changes your perspective on the work.

l|ammamama
2005-08-22, 23:30
I actually read through both of those pages shortly after running through the game the first time.

It was some interesting background on the japanese medical system, which gave some insight into other games as well - like Hijiri's clinic from Air. It certanly dosn't sound like a whole lot of fun to be a patient in a japanese hospital (not that an american hospital is all daisies).

The 'world' section, though, was especially helpfull to me. Not being a big geography buff, nor knowing the names of nearly any of the provinces in japan, made it very difficult to place where they were going. The funny thing is, that last summer i participated in an exchange program and lived in Yao (right outside osaka) for a month and a half. 'Awajishima' was the only place they named that sounded vaugely familiar when i was playing through the game, and thanks to your suppliment i realized that i had actually traveled to where the final sections of Narcissu takes place.

Being able to place the story in reality (well, my reality at least) made a big impact. Instead of simply seeming like some fairy-tale land that somthing sad happened in - i have vivid memories of the same bridge, perhaps even the same spot, that a certain photograph was taken.

I meant to thank you for putting that support site together.

Misu
2005-08-23, 04:59
omg... I'm being stalked from the rl -_-.

Ah well, my two cents on Narcissu. I chose the voiced one first. Why I did this is becuase I believe, that though the human imagination is great, voicing it brings out more emotion. I admit, that the voice did put a focus on Setsumi, but only becuase she was the only character voiced. And though there were more than a couple slight flaws in the voicing, I still was delivered a feeling on unconcern about her death, that came through her voice. As the game progress, you could also slowly feel her voice change, when she finally had a small purpose to live for. I tend to believe in describing more then less, becuase it allows the read to feel more deeply with something/someone. One of the best examples I can think of was in the AIR Movie actually. It was the scene when Haruko begs Yukito to be Misuzu's friend. Photo ->http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3845/snapshot200508151000528bl.jpg. I think this was one of the best and most moving scenes of desperation that I have ever come across. The reason was that it was pretty explicitly visualized to the viewer. They had the setup, that Zvfhmh jnf qlvat, Unehxb jnf qehax, naq qrcerffrq, naq Lhxvgb jnf cvffrq bss ng Unehxb. Then to couple that with an amazing image and voice acting of someone in desperation, it really slammed the emotion into the viewers face.
Though, I definately see the merits of letting readers imagination create the emotion, overall, I think a lot of people are not as good at imagining stuff, and they get a much more powerful feeling if they are given a little help along the way with more description, and/or audio/visual aid.

Some stuff is rot13 for small AIR Movie spoilers.

hir
2005-08-23, 08:31
Would there be any easy way to get ahold of a few hard copies of this game other than getting someone to visit Tora no Ana for us or to use the auctions?

http://www.w-canvas.com/mailorder.html#souryou
This shop claims that they ship overseas.
Countries accepting EMS only, responds to English and French inquiries.

They still seem to have stock so you'd have a good chance here.

kouryuu
2005-08-23, 10:26
just started playing this game, unvoiced, at chapter 2 now...

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;_;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
why are all the good ones sooooo sad...

*tears gushing like a fountain*

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-23, 11:50
Gp32 had mentioned that he was going to send an email to your friend and mine, Himeya (http://www.himeyashop.com), to see if they would stock it. All of you who are interested in getting a hard copy of the game should do the same - if there's enough demand for it, they may decide to get a few copies. Besides, the hard copy is only ¥500, so it's guaranteed not to break the bank.

gp32
2005-08-23, 14:19
http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!

Kataoka-sensei has kindly linked us!

Haeleth
2005-08-23, 14:26
I feel all official. 一応, anyway. ^_^

以前の銀の時には、英訳される方の担当箇所によっては、
ちょい微妙なのがありましたけど、今度のは安心なのかも?
(それ以前に日本人以外の方が、
 あの雰囲気をわかってもらえるのかが疑問ですけど…)

とにかく最初から向こうの方用ってのが、すっごく嬉しいです。
銀の時には惜しいところで無理だったので。
やっぱりこれも、無料の同人だからこそ可能なのかも知れません。

Misu
2005-08-23, 16:09
The ironies!
Looks at top of page: "Sorry Japanese Only"
Looks at bottom of page: "For English Ver."
XD

gp32
2005-08-23, 16:20
The ironies!
Looks at top of page: "Sorry Japanese Only"
Looks at bottom of page: "For English Ver."
XD
Although to be perfectly fair, the top "sorry japanese only" refers to the fact that the website is written only in Japanese. I might as well put a "sorry english only" disclaimer on every page of the insani websites. For the ... two Japanese people out there who are interested in english-translated eroge, of course -_-

Speaking of the two Japanese people who are interested in english-translated eroge, apparently here's one of them (http://game10.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gameama/1123167984/219):

どこぞの酔狂が作った英語版が出ましたよ。MacやLinux版まである。
Σ(゜Д゜;) 酔狂?!

Nanatuha
2005-08-23, 17:27
<span title ="Because insane from the origin. What do you mind now?">だって元からinsaneじゃん。何をいまさら(笑)</span>

gp32
2005-08-23, 17:32
だって元からinsaneじゃん。何をいまさら(笑)
(´・ω・`)
でも…でも…でも…!

…負けました。ナナツハさんの言うとおり _| ̄|○

Haeleth
2005-08-23, 17:42
では・・・

Σ(゜Д゜;) 酔狂?!

(私なら言えるもん)

Incidentally, I see the torrents've stopped. :(

byndhrzn
2005-08-23, 17:58
I feel all official. 一応, anyway. ^_^

(それ以前に日本人以外の方が、

銀の時には惜しいところで無理だったので。
やっぱりこれも、無料の同人だからこそ可能なのかも知れません。Hm, is he saying something about engrish translation of Giniro?

Nanatuha
2005-08-23, 21:08
(それ以前に日本人以外の方が、

銀の時には惜しいところで無理だったので。
やっぱりこれも、無料の同人だからこそ可能なのかも知れません。Hm, is he saying something about engrish translation of Giniro?

Yes, it is. Well, fluent person is more proper, though.

"When we released Giniro, there were kind of uncertain parts which depended on translator's level.(*1) But this Narcissu may be satiable?
(though I'm still not sure whether that atmosphere could be sympathizable to non-Japanese people ... )

Anyway, I'm glad that the fact this project was practiced for international from very first. We've failed that at nearly close state, so.
It might be possible because Narcissu is a free, dojin-soft, after all."

(*1 : It's said that the Giniro translation was dividely done by one native and several Japaneses, relate to period and cost)"

serika
2005-08-23, 22:23
Thanks for the great work! I am so impressed at how complete and accurate the translation is, including the on-screens and menu.

I am doubly impressed at how you got two independent translations, and Kataoka-sensei's stamp of approval. Good job ^_^b

Only very minor nitpicks:
line 333: Acknowledgements -> Acknowledgments
line 631: Ayukawa -> Ayakawa
line 4458: did't -> didn't
line 13745: onscreen -> on screen
line 24216: exuburantly -> exuberantly

darklegion
2005-08-23, 23:48
That was an interesting story, so thanks for the effort, it is appreciated! One thing that bothered me, though, was the tendency for the text to slow down to a snail's space, which made reading very awkward, and broke the flow of the text.It would be nice if it could be modified to go at the same speed at all times, which was a good speed in my view.

gp32
2005-08-24, 00:07
On the contrary -- those text slowdowns were intentionally and explicitly placed there by Tomo Kataoka. And to honor his original vision, I left them in. It would have been trivial to remove them, but I'm not going to be that disrespectful to the original creator.

kouryuu
2005-08-24, 01:05
On the contrary -- those text slowdowns were intentionally and explicitly placed there by Tomo Kataoka. And to honor his original vision, I left them in. It would have been trivial to remove them, but I'm not going to be that disrespectful to the original creator.

yea... honestly, It may have interrupted the "flow" but that effect adds quite a bit to the way you hear the story, and would go more detailed how its better, but they would requiring rot13 spoilers and I'm too lazy since its 4AM I just finished crying at this story...

l|ammamama
2005-08-24, 01:07
personally i rather liked the text slowdowns - i thought it gave a nice accent to certain lines.

It sort of put me on the edge of my seat, eating it up letter after letter as fast as i could.

Haeleth
2005-08-24, 04:50
line 4458: did't -> didn't
Me make a typo? That's inpossible!

Bust Nak
2005-08-24, 12:00
Hang on, before I download it, does it have a happy ending? From the look of things it looks totally depressing, I don't think I can handle another "Kana imouto" type story.

Misu
2005-08-24, 12:04
Nope... not happy....

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-24, 12:24
But on a happier note, it's not filled with the sister-bonking depravity of Kana. So download, and rejoice!

gp32
2005-08-24, 12:40
And it's also not filled with such factual errors about disease progression and medical therapy that anyone who knows anything about medicine would be rolling on the floor the entire time howling with laughter.

Seriously, when I was playing Kana -imouto-, I had to stop halfway because I was laughing so hard. For most of you that might seem awfully cruel, but you'll have to take my word for it that <strike>some</strike> <strike>most</strike> the overwhelming majority of the stuff they say is close to the medical equivalent of "I'm getting a fever because I forgot to meet E.T., who supplies me with a steady diet of mystical space fruit".

Kataoka-sensei tries a lot harder; the disease progressions portrayed in Narcissu are possible, if still unlikely. And I really don't think the story's supposed to make you cry. It is supposed to make you go on thinking thoughts that you would ordinarily never think, though ...

Misu
2005-08-24, 12:51
Well, it made my cry.... and think about things I normally wouldnt have.

Bust Nak
2005-08-24, 14:44
Ok, I'll download it because I am a sucker for freebies. Is there a Japanese win32 version? I can only see mac and linux. I want to improve my Japanese by reading both language.

Haeleth
2005-08-24, 14:52
The Japanese win32 version is the original (http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/).

Also, if you go to http://nscripter.insani.org, you can find some tools that will let you extract the script from our English version. We left the Japanese text next to our translations in comments, so you can get the two side-by-side if you want a more convenient way of comparing stuff.

Freakker
2005-08-24, 16:03
Second time in two years my eyes have teared up, first time was after I finished Planetarian.
I'm pathetic.

kouryuu
2005-08-24, 18:25
Second time in two years my eyes have teared up, first time was after I finished Planetarian.
I'm pathetic.

No... you're not pathetic.... Welcome to the Ren'ai Forum. lol.

;;;;_;;;; why do we play things that makes us sad, for fun?

zalas
2005-08-24, 19:23
More like nakuge than ren'ai <_<;

darklegion
2005-08-24, 23:43

I guess my complaint is aimed at the original creator then :) Honestly, I had the feeling that they were used for emphasis but to me they were used far too often, and seemed to be used in all cases when a character spoke (which was what I thought it was for originally, to match the flow of the characters speech).Judging by the response though, it was probably just me but I'm just the sort of guy that gets annoyed by little things like this :) It's the same reason my whole system is operated keyboard only and the same reason I can't stand "normal" GUI's, things that don't operate exactly as I want them get under my skin.In any case though, it is not a major problem considering I am probably the only one who cares and the fact that I have already completed the non-voice version and likely won't play it again..and if I do I'll probably just play around with the source myself, as that is what its there for :)

07ChanF
2005-08-25, 00:16
Just finished both versions of the game....
Damn.
Pretty much sums up all I'm going to say about this game; now I need some "happy" anime theropy. If not must go and dig up something to watch....
On hindsight I think I should of held off Narcissu until I had finished getting over 1984 (novel) and my exams...

2005-08-25, 00:29
gp32: first time i've seen anyone LAUGH while playing Kana ~little sister~. strange...

And as for HAPPY thoughts, I highly suggest MAHORABA ~HEARTFUL DAYS~ anime and manga. Those always cheer me up.

zalas
2005-08-25, 15:47
Go watch Kamichu... it is probably one of the most uplifting anime I've seen in a while :D

Shii
2005-08-25, 16:24
Go watch Kamichu... it is probably one of the most uplifting anime I've seen in a while :DI would second this suggestion

Hikari Tsukishiro
2005-08-25, 17:18
third'ed and whatnot.

I love the opening song of Kamichu.

zalas
2005-08-25, 18:01
Now I just have to see whether the openings on the DVDs will be different from the TV, since they only added a real opening to the TV episodes at around episode four.

Now... trying to get back on target, I wonder if other doujin groups would be willing to do this same sort of joint venture as stage nana.

adun50
2005-08-25, 23:31
well seeing how I finally got my wisdom teeth surgery over and done with (but with some very swollen cheeks) I gotten around to playing through the voiced version. I must say, a very good job by the people at insani and Haelth as well. perhaps i'll find a copy when I goto Japan :P

Haeleth
2005-08-26, 04:54
Now... trying to get back on target, I wonder if other doujin groups would be willing to do this same sort of joint venture as stage nana.
Probably; compare Gideon Zhi's various dojin projects (Cave Story, Warning Forever, etc).

Shii
2005-08-26, 15:15
Probably; compare Gideon Zhi's various dojin projects (Cave Story, Warning Forever, etc).Aw, Cave Story is more of a game than a novel. You play it, not experience it.

Haeleth
2005-08-26, 15:26
Yep, hence "probably" and "compare" - the thing they have in common is that they're dojin games (indicating that other dojin authors are also willing to authorise translations), but there's an uncertainty remaining in that the works Gideon Zhi has tackled have been action games, for which authors might be more inclined to grant permission - there's no risk that a poor quality localisation will ruin the game, unlike in the case where the game is the text.

There also seems to be a common assumption among the Japanese that foreigners won't be able to "understand" certain classes of work, including most visual novels. There's therefore no guarantee that other authors would be as open as Kataoka-sensei to considering the possibility that a localised version of their work might actually be suitable for foreign consumption...

...particularly in the case of adult games, of course.

Stranger
2005-08-27, 03:18
good work, and very nice story, made my smile more then once, and actuly makes me feel more greatfull for what I have and where I am at the moment. And somehow it acutly gave me some energy?!!!!!

although the ending..... V pna'g svaq vg va zlfrys gb srry fbeel sbe gubfr jub raq gurve bja yvsvirf

as for the voice vs unvoiced game. It is uselly not optional, but if it a RAW game then I need the voice. If it is a translated game (like this one) then 1st it will be the unvoiced version and I will be using my imagnation for everything. Then the voiced version, and to tell the trougth, I am uselly disponited when hearing the voices for the 1st time. But after a while I get used to it (I uselly supprise myself on how fast I can adapt to things).

In the case of Air, I was supprised by the voices of the charecters in the anime. kanon supprised me too, after managing to install the voice patch.

P.S. the game still make feel like taking a long drive to anywhere, and I would... if I had a driver's licence :( any way, am getting one, this game make feel like having one, using it is another issue, having it is a must.

zalas
2005-08-27, 17:36
Yeah, some people actually get annoyed at the voices so much that they'd prefer the unvoiced versions. I wonder how the Utawarerumono voices will turn out <_<;; If the voices get funky, it'll be ~26 episodes of funky voices ~_~;

Haeleth
2005-08-28, 04:00
Yup. I still haven't found a set of earplugs good enough to enable me to go after Miyuki in TM2. :p

Stranger
2005-08-29, 22:20
There also seems to be a common assumption among the Japanese that foreigners won't be able to "understand" certain classes of work, including most visual novels. There's therefore no guarantee that other authors would be as open as Kataoka-sensei to considering the possibility that a localised version of their work might actually be suitable for foreign consumption...as my boss always like to say.. "how common is common knowleage??!!!". I believe that one of the main resone why Naruto, Full Metail Arch..., Chobits and others got wide acceptence (and even licened) is due to the fact that they didn't depend heavely on Japanese only common knowleage. So it was easier for the audionce to understand them without need to read notes. If a story is going to depend on common knowleage, then "how common is common knowleage?!". Any way, people in this forum should be considered as people who are willing to read translaters notes. And I for one don't mind them.

...particularly in the case of adult games, of course.one word: lolicon (did I get the spelling correct?!)

Nanatuha
2005-08-30, 07:38
To be honest I think some scenes, such as stealing pachinko balls, may not be easy to image.

From curious, Cross channel's protagonist has aspect of kind of sexual harassist <strike>like me</strike> though, does it make you annoyed? > to someone plaied it.

AstCd2
2005-08-30, 07:46
Not at all. It's dull to see protagonist after protagonist being forced to play off far more interesting characters, ending up relegated to a tsukkomi role. As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes a break with the old philosophy of the traditional 'featureless' main character is welcome, <strike>especially</strike> even if it means making him an unadulterated lecher with a penchant for meganeko and Harry Potter-character look-a-likes =P

Of course, in a game with settings and characters as... unusual as Cross Channel, you'd have to take everything with a grain of salt anyway.

I believe that one of the main resone why Naruto, Full Metail Arch..., Chobits and others got wide acceptence (and even licened) is due to the fact that they didn't depend heavely on Japanese only common knowleage.

I would have thought that Naruto, being a heavily myth-based period show about ninjas, would require significant japanese cultural knowledge to appreciate - or at least one would think so, given some of the vitriol generated amongst the fans by certain less-than-faithful localizations =P

Haeleth
2005-08-30, 08:31
To be honest I think some scenes, such as stealing pachinko balls, may not be easy to image.
That was certainly one of the less plausible scenes. ^_^

In that case in particular, I do wonder how much of the narrative actually "happened", and how much was the protagonist imagining things... he was clearly not in a rational state of mind in the first place, and the noise and crowds might well have triggered a panic that he could later have rationalised into the story as ultimately told. (Also, if they'd really been subsisting on a couple of cans of Pocari Sweat a day, he must have been fairly badly dehydrated by that stage, which would tend to make his behaviour even less rational.)

meganeko
Am I the only person who always reads that as メガ猫 (http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/fatcat.jpg)? :P

Freakman
2005-08-30, 09:16
No, actually I read that as "Mega Neko" too at first :D Then I remembered Misato ^.^

By the way Astcd, I guess that guy on 2ch was right about Miki looking like Hermione :D
(映画化された某有名ファンタジー小説のヒロインみたいな少女が、立っている。)
I'm so slow I didn't even get the reference at first :/

Taichi really is something. Hope my translation can get that to the readers as much as the original version did .

Although Raba does tend to steal the show whenever he's out.

Nanatuha
2005-08-31, 08:35
I see. I guess I also still have the prejudice and common Japanese have more ignorance they even don't be conscious, too. Probably there would be positive Dojin-groups, if they had opportunity.

Am I the only person who always reads that as メガ猫 (http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/fatcat.jpg)? :P
(゜Д゜)ノ Me too. and I always can't help imaging "Bear with me" as クマさんと私。

l|ammamama
2005-08-31, 19:36
Well, if its any consolation it took me 2 days to figure out that it was Meant to be read as '眼鏡子' versus a gigantic cat..

クマさんと私, lol i'll never be able to use that phrase again without smiling.

zalas
2005-09-01, 18:15
Mr. Bear and I!!!

Wow, that just sounds way too cute.

Stranger
2005-09-07, 02:57
just wandering about the download count so far :)

ChocoEd
2005-09-07, 04:43
just wandering about the download count so far :)

On the insani tracker, we've had about 800 downloads each of the Windows and Linux versions, plus about 200 of the Mac one. The actual counts will be somewhat higher than that, since there are a couple of HTTP mirror sites too that aren't included in those numbers.

(The boosted Linux percentage is because the game got a bit of coverage in the Linux gaming scene outside the normal anime/eroge community.)

Haeleth
2005-09-07, 05:13
So... plucking figures from the air, if we assume that the number of HTTP downloads is greater than the number of people who've downloaded more than one version, and allow for people passing it around among their friends, shall we say about 2000 readers? Sounds pretty good to me, considering the small size of the English fan community, not to mention the lack of any of that h3n741 s3xx0rz that so many people seem to look for in their visual novels... ;)

gp32
2005-09-07, 10:17
... shall we say about 2000 readers?
Believe it or not, this work has also gained a small following here at the University of Michigan Medical School -- my classmates have responded more eagerly than I thought they would, for one. And in any case, 2000 readers thus far is nothing to sneeze at, given how so very small this 'community' is right now ...

h3n741
Is it a bad thing that whenever I see this, the first thing I think of is 牝鷄隊?

Haeleth
2005-09-07, 10:31
Is it a bad thing that whenever I see ["hentai"], the first thing I think of is 牝鷄隊?
No... no, I really can't say it is.

Better than 鶏対セックス, which is I suppose what they must be talking about here (http://groups.google.co.jp/group/sci.lang.japan/msg/6f1f2fb9de5a8138), anyway.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-09-07, 12:57
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5835/hyoko0mu.jpg

牝鷄隊?

gp32
2005-09-07, 13:03
はいです!
よろしくないですよ! ヘンタイさん!

Maceart
2005-09-07, 20:59
2000 readers... not bad. It's more than the average fansub episode, which is a nice thing.

Shii
2005-10-11, 19:20
Just saw an interesting message on stage-nana's BBS.

How do you do, it is called Tomo Kataoka.
Sorry...Since I do not become if I am not much good at English.

>Once again, thank you for this work.
> Now I'll share your story to others, via a play.
>Yes. I'll make a play version (http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/jollysword/) of "Narcissu".
>Will you please grant your approval to me? Thanks.

Thanks!
Since it is satisfactory, of course.
If an interested friend is, please introduce by all means.

Postscript:

Now, other stories are also under work.
Moreover, it is since it opens to completion order!

"Other stories"... (・∀・ )

AstCd2
2005-10-21, 17:05
A brief update:

Regarding my next work
At this point, I'm thinking of doing a sequel (?) to Narcissu - or rather, a side story kind of thing.

I aim to have it out by Fuyukomi<sup>1</sup>, but I haven't actually applied yet, so I'll be sure to post an update once the distribution channels are finalised.

Further, if those responsible contact me, I'd be glad to host the Chinese and Korean versions here too in addition to the English version.
<sup>1</sup>Fuyukomi = Winter Comiket. This year, Fuyukomi (the 69th Comiket) runs December 29-30.

Haeleth
2005-10-22, 05:33
http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/4koma.htm

:D

Wolfrider
2005-10-25, 12:32
When i saw that comic strip, for a little instant, i thought of Shiori & Setsumi in the 7F...

[sorry for the (maybe) bad english, i'm not native english speaker]

AstCd2
2005-12-27, 16:24

The release date for Kataoka Tomo's Narcissu #side 02nd has been pushed back from Fuyukomi to a tentative date of sometime in February 2006. Still no details on what the story will be like, although the publicity line suggests that it may centre around Setsumi again.

Shii
2005-12-27, 16:41
http://stage-nana.sakura.ne.jp/4koma.htm

:DHey, that ain't a yonkoma, that there's a gokoma.

bball_machine
2005-12-27, 17:02
Hm apparently the English "Web" version is compressed, so the soundtrack is lower in quality? I wonder where we can get our hands on the good quality version of the soundtrack? I'd really like to have it!

Haeleth
2005-12-27, 17:08
Hm apparently the English "Web" version is compressed, so the soundtrack is lower in quality?
Not really so you'd notice, unless you're the kind of audiophile who can tell the difference between a CD and an LP at 500 yards, and runs screaming at the sight of the characters M, P, and 3.

To put it another way: I have a copy of the CD version, but I'm pretty sure I never got round to replacing the Narcissu tracks in my Winamp playlist, because I didn't think it worth the effort.

I wonder where we can get our hands on the good quality version of the soundtrack?
Find a copy of the CD version! The print run wasn't huge, but you may be able to get your hands on it if you know where to look, or have friends in Japan.

rodan
2005-12-28, 13:40
A sequel or sidestory
...how could a direct sequel to Narcissu work?

2005-12-28, 14:57
Well for example by telling the rest of the story? The protagonist has not died yet, has he?

Haeleth
2005-12-28, 15:13
It's going to be a prequel about Setsumi, and probably won't involve the male protagonist of Narcissu. It's set three years earlier, before Setsumi was transferred to the 7th floor.

That much is obvious from the teaser text on the Stage-Nana page:
My name is Setsumi. Female. Blood type O. Blue wristband. And I'm 19...

K
2005-12-28, 15:25
Hm apparently the English "Web" version is compressed, so the soundtrack is lower in quality?
Not really so you'd notice, unless you're the kind of audiophile who can tell the difference between a CD and an LP at 500 yards, and runs screaming at the sight of the characters M, P, and 3.
Must be depressing to become one. A long time ago, I couldn't tell the difference once something was at least 128 kbps. Then it became 160, and now 192 is my limit ^_^;

07ChanF
2005-12-29, 02:03
I can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossess codecs....
Audiophile on the loose.....

K
2005-12-29, 08:17
Once you can, that's when you're an audiophile.

mr.aufziehvogel
2006-01-01, 04:54
narcissu #side 02nd? yay :)

i wonder what it is about.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE Haeleth board&team.

i may be a bit too late, but i was out with friends yesterday so i couldn't come here.

Wolfrider
2006-01-02, 11:57
So, Stage Nana thinks of us:

"To the ones beyond the sea... thank you for your e-mails, but in many cases the text is garbled and we can't read it, so we are sorry we can't reply for that reason"

And.. yes, it is there a text written in it "stage nana vol 25" but i can't have that read the japanese.

i have to wait

(sorry, i couldn't resist)

Freakker
2006-01-19, 23:05
I finally got around to playing Kana, and I realized Narcissu is nowhere near as sad anymore, it only gets sad at the end.

Carl
2006-01-20, 03:47
I finally got around to playing Kana, and I realized Narcissu is nowhere near as sad anymore, it only gets sad at the end.
I think that was intentional on the part of Stage-nana. There was plenty of places during the story were he could have gone for cheap emotion, but instead opted to pull back from the characters and what was happening to them.

In my opinion the story isn't about Setsuni and the protagonist per se, but instead they were proxies for an allegory about human understanding and the preciousness of lives we often reduce down to statistics. Well, I guess that isn't unique, most visual novels are allegorical, but Narcissu's story and message seem unusually abstracted, even compared to the likes of AIR.

I need to get around to playing Kana some time. I'm a bit slack.

Leo_Otaku
2006-01-20, 23:53
I thought is was quite good. It does only get sad at the end. It would make a good live action drama ^-^

Maceart
2006-01-21, 11:30
Yep. Now whenever I see an anime with sick girls in a hospital I get the "Narcissu" vibes.

Hantsuki comes in mind:

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&adb.search=hantsuki&do.search=search

I was so expecting the main protagonist to go steal a car or something.

l|ammamama
2006-01-21, 11:36
Hah, you know - I was thinking the same thing when I watched the first episode...

Carl
2006-01-21, 11:49
As did I.

Maceart
2006-01-21, 22:11
Maybe the animators will grant our wish and get Yuuichi to go steal a Nissan compact.

mr.aufziehvogel
2006-04-16, 04:26
are there any news about narcissu #side 2nd ?

ione the stage nana page i dont see changes/demos etc....

Haeleth
2006-04-16, 04:43
Nope, no news since January.

I imagine it's being delayed because Kataoka-sensei is a bit busy trying to get Scarlett shipped...

Carl
2006-04-16, 07:21

I imagine it's being delayed because Kataoka-sensei is a bit busy trying to get Scarlett shipped...
Yeah, you wouldn't want Nekoneko to run out of money and stop making games now would you?

Nephillim
2006-04-16, 07:38

Yeah, you wouldn't want Nekoneko to run out of money and stop making games now would you?

Aren't they already in that situation? ^^;

clowezra
2006-04-16, 10:18
Yep. Now whenever I see an anime with sick girls in a hospital I get the "Narcissu" vibes.

Hantsuki comes in mind:

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&adb.search=hantsuki&do.search=search

I was so expecting the main protagonist to go steal a car or something.
xD
That has Narcissu written all over it. I was reading it on my old comp, but it broke. I might actually get it again.

mr.aufziehvogel
2006-04-16, 10:35
hantsuki was really good too. but i think it was a little to short.. only 6 episodes... i want more.. ;)

clowezra
2006-04-16, 10:41
It sounds nice. I guess I'll watch it.

DragonmasterX
2006-04-18, 05:32
デキタ━━━━━━\(T▽T)/━━━━━━ !!!!!

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!

Did you guys type out those series of dashes and stuff? Or is there a special hotkey for it? When people type that stuff at 2ch, do they actually have to type out every single dash?

Haeleth
2006-04-18, 05:38
You can get special dictionaries to add to your IME which will generate these things for you. For example, if I type きた, the conversion options range from the basic キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!! right through to more elaborate designs like キタ━━━━━(゚(゚∀(゚∀゚(☆∀☆)゚∀゚)∀゚)゚)━━━━━!! or キタ─wwヘ√レvv~(゚∀゚)─wwヘ√レvv~─ !!.

GreatSaintLouis
2006-04-18, 08:15
Alternately, you can just press the "キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!" button if you have a Japanese keyboard; it's right next to the one used for kanji conversion.

Keyboards purchased in Akihabara are most likely to have it.

kouryuu
2006-04-18, 10:49
You can get special dictionaries to add to your IME which will generate these things for you. For example, if I type きた, the conversion options range from the basic キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!! right through to more elaborate designs like キタ━━━━━(゚(゚∀(゚∀゚(☆∀☆)゚∀゚)∀゚)゚)━━━━━!! or キタ─wwヘ√レvv~(゚∀゚)─wwヘ√レvv~─ !!.

Where can you get those from? online or do you have to purchase them somewhere?

martino
2006-05-13, 16:20
I just played the novel recently and I have to say that I loved it! Great translation as well, actually the best translation that I've seen in a Japanese novel game(if it can be called a game at all).
*bows to the scripters and translators*

I have a question. I used "nsaout" to extract the data files to get the music from the game, but I wasn't able to find the song in the "Etc" section of the novel which was called "Narcissu -Setsumi's Theme-". I managed to associate all the other extracted mp3s, but I just couldn't find this one. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

ChocoEd
2006-05-13, 18:58
I wasn't able to find the song in the "Etc" section of the novel which was called "Narcissu -Setsumi's Theme-".
That one's in a different directory than most of the music files: it's "tui2/e013.mp3".

Glad you liked the game. ^^

2006-05-14, 03:45
I wasn't able to find the song in the "Etc" section of the novel which was called "Narcissu -Setsumi's Theme-".
That one's in a different directory than most of the music files: it's "tui2/e013.mp3".

Glad you liked the game. ^^
Thanks, now I finally have all the beatiful songs! Great work guys!

Ayato
2006-07-19, 12:34
Does anyone know if its out yet? Can't really read japanese ^.^
Narcissu #side 2nd sounds nice from what i read on this site. But are we allowed to translate it?

Haeleth
2006-07-19, 12:36
Side 2nd will be out later this summer. Check the "general news" thread for details.

And you can bet your life that we will be seeking permission to translate it...

GreatSaintLouis
2006-07-20, 01:33
narcissuサイドセコンドゲイを来ていますフォ~!翻訳オーケ!</hg>

Jun
2006-07-21, 06:27
This has been on my mind ever since I've contacted Narcissu last year - just what does volume 24 / 25 mean? Does it mean there has been 24/25 volumes produced my Stage Nana, not does it mean something else? The release year perhaps?

Also, has anybody (maybe japanese otaku with photos?) been to the Awajishima Island and seen Narcissus Fields there, or seen that world's longest bridge? Are the flowers and the naruto/whirlpools near there blooming/visible in late December?

AstCd2
2006-07-21, 06:29
This has been on my mind ever since I've contacted Narcissu last year - just what does volume 24 / 25 mean? Does it mean there has been 24/25 volumes produced my Stage Nana, not does it mean something else? The release year perhaps?

It's the former. Some information about the other 23 volumes can still be scraped from the old Stage Nana homepage (http://stage-nana.telnet.or.jp/).

Haeleth
2006-07-21, 08:36
Also, has anybody (maybe japanese otaku with photos?) been to the Awajishima Island and seen Narcissus Fields there, or seen that world's longest bridge? Are the flowers and the naruto/whirlpools near there blooming/visible in late December?
Haven't been there myself, but pictures are easy to find:
Nadakuroiwa Suisenkyou (http://images.google.co.jp/images?svnum=10&hl=ja&q=%E7%81%98%E9%BB%92%E5%B2%A9%E6%B0%B4%E4%BB%99%E9%83%B7&btnG=Google+%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2) (the Narcissus fields)
Akashi Kaikyou Oohashi (http://images.google.co.jp/images?svnum=10&hl=ja&q=%E6%98%8E%E7%9F%B3%E6%B5%B7%E5%B3%A1%E5%A4%A7%E6%A9%8B&btnG=Google+%E6%A4%9C%E7%B4%A2) (the bridge)

GreatSaintLouis
2006-07-21, 12:02
It's the former. Some information about the other 23 volumes can still be scraped from the old Stage Nana homepage (http://stage-nana.telnet.or.jp/).
So I take it that their old works didn't have a web edition, then? That Air title that was number 22 looks interesting...

omgwtflolz
2006-07-21, 18:38
hantsuki was really good too. but i think it was a little to short.. only 6 episodes... i want more.. ;)

Never watched Hantsuki TV. How far does it go?

inuyasha9854
2006-07-21, 19:29
I think the extent of the first novel. (I have 6 of 7, albeit, unable to read them, as yet.)

AstCd2
2006-07-21, 20:17
So I take it that their old works didn't have a web edition, then? That Air title that was number 22 looks interesting...

Not as far as I can tell. Maybe there are still some copies lying around in a doujin shop somewhere?

induce
2008-01-07, 15:59
Let me just start by saying thanks to you guys who translated this piece. Really, thanks! Without you I wouldn't been able to enjoy this masterpiece. Also thanks to Saya for recommending it to me!

What to say about the game / novel that hasn't already been said? It's simple yet so extraordinary beautiful in its presentation. I chose to play the voiced version since I really like to hear the emotion of a voice. Guess it's just a matter of opinion but in this case I think the voice actress did a really good job and it also conveyed the change Setsumi went through during the story. Her voice kind of went from dull and lifeless to one with more spirit in it. The story of course is terribly saddening yet in a sense shows that its never to late to live, even though you might've given up all hope. I don't know what to say really because words just don't carry across what I feel about it. Don't know if it's because of my current mindset but must say it was long ago since I last felt so much for any particular story, especially one of this short kind. Partly I think this is thanks to its tragic nature.

Just played the demo of the upcoming visual novel and I'm really thrilled about it. It looks to be just as emotionally loaded as the first one, but hopefully a bit more cheerful. Don't know how much more sadness I can take! ;-)
I'm truly cheering you guys on with the translation project, and wish I could donate or something to show my appreciation.

Also looked at the opening movie for the new novel and liked it. Before I know, tears were running down my cheeks for no apparent reason but I guess it reminded me of the first story. Overall Narcissu has gotten me to think about the fates of children and adolescent boys and girls who have to face death at such an early stage in life. I really feel for them but at the same time wish that they get to enjoy life just as much as anyone else. We all deserve to.

luckyovermind
2008-01-09, 06:00
It looks to be just as emotionally loaded as the first one,
No it's not

but hopefully a bit more cheerful.
Yes it is

Overall Narcissu has gotten me to think about the fates of children and adolescent boys and girls who have to face death at such an early stage in life.
You got the point there

OK, I admit that I am tired today...

induce
2008-01-09, 08:40
No it's not
We'll see about that, won't we? ;-)

I think it's highly subjective what one finds emotional and not. It doesn't necessarily need to be as sad as the first one to be as emotionally strong, not if you ask me. But sure, if you've played the game and says it is so then fine, I can't argue with it just yet since I haven't played it. Maybe the material itself isn't as strong but this time around you know a little about Setsumi and what happened in Narcissu, which makes the whole experience stronger. I believe it has a lot to do with associations and whatnot.

Oh well, getting off topic here and it's probably all mumbo jumbo, but that's me! I'm glad my previous point got across anyhow, that's what's important.

M12
2008-01-09, 23:11
Narcissu 2 didn't move me as much, only because this time around, I was emotionally prepared for it. Also, you start to recognise the author's techniques a bit more. As a result, it became more technical and less emotional, at least for me. But yeah, Narcissu side 2nd is still awesome =D!

GreatSaintLouis
2008-01-11, 06:16
Did I somehow just totally miss the English release of Narcissu Side 2nd, or are there just a lot more people here fluent in Japanese than they let on? There's sure an awful lot of talk about what the game's like if the former is indeed the case.

Agilis
2008-01-11, 07:21
Well it's certainly not my doing.

Might be the Chinese version, but I have no idea what the quality of that script is.

GreatSaintLouis
2008-01-11, 19:48
Regardless of what the Chinese quality might be, it's almost guaranteed the product will be quite lacking if it's indeed some sort of unofficial Japanese->Chinese->English release floating about out there.

Agilis
2008-01-11, 22:03
Well, if some poor soul spent his time on a double translation, they did a worse job of announcing it than even my crappy PR skills. If I had to guess, people who've read the chinese version by now have something to say.

Even then, the only chinese version I know was an independent translator out of the blue so I don't even have any reputation to say how good even the J->C work is.

Either way, it's the weekend and I can spend more time working on the project than weeknights...

luckyovermind
2008-01-16, 02:01
Even then, the only chinese version I know was an independent translator out of the blue so I don't even have any reputation to say how good even the J->C work is.

If you want to know more he has a hobby of persuading people into learning japanese. I've heard people bad mouthing his translations, but I wouldn't have known.

But he is a neko fan, that's all what I would care about. Being a neko fan means I will treat him as a friend, although I don't really know him.