PDA

View Full Version : Forum behaviors...

Slipgate
2005-08-03, 19:20
Haeleth/Keisuke,

I've been meaning to ask for a long time. I'm on at least one other phpBB board run by a friend, and the "notify me when a reply is posted" works on the other board I am on every time, for any thread I've either posted in or said I'm watching. While I keep things similarly set here, I generally don't receive such replies from this board. I might receive one or two about particular threads but come and find lots of the threads I've been watching have been updated. I've been gone a couple of months recently, but I was finding this the case both before I got busy for a while and now as well. Is the board suppressing doing topic reply notifications in most cases to keep load down or something? Just thought I'd check into this finally.

Haeleth
2005-08-04, 04:57
It's not suppressing anything deliberately. It may be that one of the modifications has broken auto-notifications, but it's also possible that the messages are being blocked by your ISP or caught by a spam filter. Is anyone else having the same problem?

emperor
2005-08-04, 05:41
Hm...I can only guess but....you said at that board you can get a message when one of the topics you have replied to or are watching has been replied to....despite not knowing how you can mark a topic as 'watched', maybe this reply on watched topics does require the 'Always notify me of replies' function in your board profile. Just a stupid thought but if you only use the "notify me when a reply is posted" [which is the only thing you mentioned] checkbox at every post then you might not get a reply for those you are only 'watching'. Stupid idea but if the admin himself has no idea one can as well post some possibitilies.

Slipgate
2005-08-04, 06:14
Well, I usually don't mark threads watched, because if they're of interest to me I'll usually say something in them. But I generally don't get topic reply notifications here. I might post in ten threads, and get one or two topic reply notifications - but when I check, all ten threads have updated.

I've never really done anything in terms of modifying myself explicitly... and originally I didn't even really filter spam (and again, I get topic reply notifications sometimes from this board and all the time from the other board I'm on).

That's just what's happening/been happening to me though. Anyone else?