PDA

View Full Version : English Renai Games

rodan
2005-07-04, 20:20
It might be just me, but it seems like the renai genre is starting to get some more English interest.

Things are happening like Hirameki's revival, Galaxy Angel coming out in 2006, and Funimation confirming with an unnamed Japanese licensor that all of the Sakura Taisen games would eventually come to the US (what did FUNimation have to do with Sakura Taisen?).

Then there's also Type Moon's anime being licensed, but Anime licences most of the time do not lead to game licences.

So, any information/comments on English renai development?

And just for chuckles, would you prefer original Japanese audio, English dubs, or a switch option between the two?

Spiritsnare
2005-07-04, 21:42
Actually, if you see some of the comments on the Planetarian thread (edit namely gp32's first post on page seven of the thread (http://forums.haeleth.net/viewtopic.php?t=197&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=96), you'd see that we don't expect them (that is, Japanese companies) to see much interest in an English market.

I also doubt, that in this period of players of relatively 'active' games such as Grand Theft Auto, that people will actually try the ren'ai genre out, due to the majorly textual nature of the games. Of course, there will always be exceptions. Perhaps Galaxy Angel will be such a test. I personally will try the game out myself.

Oh, and I prefer original Japanese voiceovers, though if the English dub is good, I will try it out. Initially, I will play most anime (and certain video games such as the .hack series and Soul Calibur II) in its subtitled form.

byndhrzn
2005-07-04, 23:54
Ever17 and some other games listed here are coming aswell.
http://www.hirameki-int.com/appc/index.html

Also someone on this forum mentioned Angel Rabbie game (by Kogado) will be localized too.

gp32
2005-07-05, 00:28
Ever17 and some other games listed here are coming as well.
And if the English trial edition is any indication, its translation will be ... kinda mediocre -_-

Still, Ever17 isn't a bad game at all as far as this genre goes, so there's hope ...

2005-07-05, 03:10
For this reason, you will find that the flow of the story will suddenly change, as the Trial Edition contains snippets of the game. So please take a look at the sample and the go out and get your hands on a copy of the real game.
They are truly funny. I mean they say that one might think of it as strange so one should look at it and...the go out! Of course. I will look at it and the go out. Well if they showed me the go out...anyways so what did they want one to do again? Look at the strangeness of this and of the go out and then buying the game. What a direct way to put it. Anyways I hope for them that they at least have somebody looking for such nice typos...it's t3h g0 0u7!

Haeleth
2005-07-05, 03:45
I have very mixed feelings about Hirameki. On the plus side, they are bringing over some well-regarded products, and they're bringing them over in all-age formats, which will hopefully help to destroy the stereotype of bishoujo games as "hentai". I can only be in favour of that.

But looking at their website, I almost wonder whether they actually have any employees who speak English fluently. If the quality of the prose on their site is representative of the quality of their products, then I can't help but think they're not the team I'd have chosen to localise games in this genre...

Soulfang
2005-07-05, 06:02
I played through their Ever17 trial, just to see what it would be like. It's obviously been translated (or edited, at least) by someone who speaks fluent English, although it is translated in the past tense and there's also the fact that they romanized someone's name as "You", which confused me for a while... -_-

I'm also wondering where these products will be even sold. Stores specializing in anime? Online? Game stores like EBGames and GameStop?

Nanatuha
2005-07-05, 07:02
I've actually suspected whether they haven't Japanese employees at all and don't know well about each title's popularity in Japan. because they are mixing wheat and chaff too much. Their selection criterions are interesting to me.

Shii
2005-07-05, 07:48
But looking at their website, I almost wonder whether they actually have any employees who speak English fluently. If the quality of the prose on their site is representative of the quality of their products, then I can't help but think they're not the team I'd have chosen to localise games in this genre...I have Hourglass of Summer. The translation is just fine, it's the AnimePlay DVD stuff that is the spawn of Satan. I can't wait to buy up their PC games.

I've actually suspected whether they haven't Japanese employees at all and don't know well about each title's popularity in Japan. because they are mixing wheat and chaff too much. Their selection criterions are interesting to me.I think they are looking for games that are interesting enough to be English hits, but not so popular in Japan that they're expensive to license. Thus, no Kanon.

kouryuu
2005-07-05, 08:13
I'm glad to see that these games are coming over.

It seems to me that English companies are realizing that there is enough of a following over here for these games to do well enough.

I may be mistaken, but I think the trend started With games like Desgea, Growlanser and other Atlus and NIS America releases. Those were both excellent SRPGs, and alot of theirs have SIM elements. I know the latest I've started playing now, Atelier Iris, has hundreds of events determined by your choices. And many Similar games are coming.

I think our american companies are starting to notice, that game-wise, their most loyal consumer base, isn't interested in GTA or uber-ific CGs, they want a quality story, gameplay, and appreciate the anime/SNES style graphics.

So I say hail any english translations, as long as you keep our option to maintain the original JP voicovers ^_^.

now If only they'd hurry up with Growlanser IV and Eien no Aseria....

Korgath
2005-07-05, 08:54
Wow, someone's bringing over Ever17. I'm fairly curious as to how western gamers will respond to that game, since it's fairly different from your usual ren'ai game, what with its pseudo-scientific rambling and lack of sexual content. I'm far from a ren'ai connoiseur though, so there might be more games like that of which I'm unaware of. I personally prefer Never7 and Remember11 to Ever17 (two other games in the infinity series), but most (Japanese) gamers seem to prefer Ever17 anyway. It'd be a shame if they botch the translation up on Ever17, though.

Haeleth
2005-07-05, 09:47
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have criticised based only on the website then. I'll have to try the demo.

At any rate, this is definitely a key moment (no pun intended) -- this marks the first time anyone's licensed a game I've played. I hope they can do it justice and get it the sales it deserves. (And if the translation is any good, I hope all the English speakers here will do their duty to support commercial translation!)

2005-07-05, 12:44
The demo text is rather stilted, and there're a few grammatical mistakes. I only hope that the final translation is better.

It seems to me that English companies are realizing that there is enough of a following over here for these games to do well enough.

I may be mistaken, but I think the trend started With games like Desgea, Growlanser and other Atlus and NIS America releases. Those were both excellent SRPGs, and alot of theirs have SIM elements. I know the latest I've started playing now, Atelier Iris, has hundreds of events determined by your choices. And many Similar games are coming.

It's hard to say, really. The RPG and SRPG genres were already fairly successful, so Atlus wasn't really exploring new territory (NISA only entered after the success of Disgaea) - they just licensed a bunch of lower profile games.

[I would also argue that Disgaea is SRPG-lite. It strongly emphasizes accessibility and gimmicks over tactical play (after all, the game was aimed at young children rather than serious gamers), thus earning it scorn from many strategy fans. However, I digress]

It'll be far harder for publishers to pitch products as non-interactive as most Japanese adventures (already a small niche in Japan. Mainstream and hardcore gamers don't tend to show the slightest interest). With this genre, I suspect that they're looking at the rising popularity of anime, and that they're hoping to draw in casual players who aren't normally into PC/console games.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-07-05, 13:20
Funimation confirming with an unnamed Japanese licensor that all of the Sakura Taisen games would eventually come to the US (what did FUNimation have to do with Sakura Taisen?).
WHO TO THE WHAT NOW?? REALLY?? I'd be first in line to pick up Sakura Taisen if it made its way over to these shores; rumor has it that Sega themselves had finished localizing the Dreamcast rerelease of the first game for a US release, but for whatever reason that's as far as it got. I think with the anime having been released here, Sakura Taisen might not be as risky of a venture as some of the other games because fans of the anime could see it and say, "Oh, there's a game? Cool, I'll pick this up..."

------

On Hirameki and their new line of releases, I see that Kid was involved (either as developer or as the one responsible for the PS2 ports) of both Ever17 and Ai Yori Ao Shi. This makes me wonder if there might be a possibility of Cross Channel ~To All People~ (PS2 port by Kid) or any of the Memories Off series making it here as well?

Also worth noting on Hirameki's frontpage is this little blurb:
Currently in Japan, “Kimi ga nozomu eien” and “Tukihime” have been made into many anime episodes and we’re sure that anime fans attuned to what is happening are dying to play the game that kicked off the craze these anime have created. Please be on the look out for news from HIRAMEKI, which was created with the objective of meeting the needs of these fans.
It could just be a poorly worded sentence, or my reading too much into it, but...

------

I'm also wondering where these products will be even sold. Stores specializing in anime? Online? Game stores like EBGames and GameStop?
Haven't seen any of the AnimePlay DVDs or anything in the game chains like Gamestop or EB, but I know Suncoast carries them - the local one here has had a copy of Hourglass of Summer for the longest time that I'm constantly debating picking up.

Shii
2005-07-05, 13:55
It'd be a shame if they botch the translation up on Ever17, though.The translation is just fine, guys.

edit: I mean for their current releases, not the demos.

2005-07-05, 14:46
The translation is just fine, guys.

The current form is serviceable. I haven't played any of Hirameki's previous releases, so I wouldn't know how this compares. However, the text still needs major editing (grammatical mistakes, typos, very poor flow).

kouryuu
2005-07-05, 17:57
Also worth noting on Hirameki's frontpage is this little blurb:
Currently in Japan, “Kimi ga nozomu eien” and “Tukihime” have been made into many anime episodes and we’re sure that anime fans attuned to what is happening are dying to play the game that kicked off the craze these anime have created. Please be on the look out for news from HIRAMEKI, which was created with the objective of meeting the needs of these fans.
It could just be a poorly worded sentence, or my reading too much into it, but...

*wipes drool away*

------

Haven't seen any of the AnimePlay DVDs or anything in the game chains like Gamestop or EB, but I know Suncoast carries them - the local one here has had a copy of Hourglass of Summer for the longest time that I'm constantly debating picking up.

Same here for me. We've had Hourglass forever, its like no one wants it...
My suncoast also has Hirameki's other bundle with Tea Witch.

However those are DVDs, so I would assume if they're promoting these as PC games, they'll be hidden in the PC game section of some store somewhere? tucked away nicely into that little corner that no one visits or ever pays attention to, and holds only god knows what.

bluemist
2005-07-05, 23:43
Do their DVD games really sell? I was under the impression that they'd go bankrupt last year (only Hourglass and Phantom of Inferno in their lineup last year). Seeing that they seem to be back with a vengeance (and with bigger budget too), I'm kinda excited that they're out to prove to the west that visual novels are not just about the H.

But alas, no way to buy their games on such a remote country as mine.

Haeleth
2005-07-06, 04:09
On Hirameki and their new line of releases, I see that Kid was involved...
I guess there's our answer: there's at least one Japanese publisher that does see potential in the English market...

“Kimi ga nozomu eien” and “Tukihime” have been made into many anime episodes and we’re sure that anime fans attuned to what is happening are dying to play the game that kicked off the craze these anime have created. Please be on the look out for news from HIRAMEKI, which was created with the objective of meeting the needs of these fans.
All I can say is a tentative "wow". Big names indeed.

If they could succeed with titles like those, there might even be the beginnings of a faint hope for official Key localisations...

Soulfang
2005-07-06, 05:51
Somehow I think we'd see Key games before we'd ever see something like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien or Tsukihime coming here... o_O

Besides, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien's anime wasn't even licensed here for release in America, so I think they were just throwing out examples.

Haeleth
2005-07-06, 06:05
The set of anime series that are both popular among western fans and based on AVG-type games isn't that large, though... and Kiminozo, at least, already exists in a suitably sanitised edition...

Stranger
2005-07-06, 07:13
But looking at their website, I almost wonder whether they actually have any employees who speak English fluently. If the quality of the prose on their site is representative of the quality of their products, then I can't help but think they're not the team I'd have chosen to localise games in this genre...aaaa.... well if you can read my posts without going crossed eyed, then you will be fine... trust me on that :)

on topic, anyone knows how much does it cost to license those games?!, I mean if kanon only sold 50K copies, then how can that small number mean it is popluer?!, heck, it make me wander how Key have not shut it doors yet

update: before I forget, I like Japanese voice over English, so paying for English voice actors is not in the forumla as far as I conserned

2005-07-06, 09:40
how can that small number mean it is popluer?!

A game like Kanon is popular relative to other games in the genre (a small niche). The console ports also sold well.

heck, it make me wander how Key have not shut it doors yet

Well, development teams are small and budgets are low (IIRC, Key is also a subsidiary of VisualArt's, so there might be additional security. I don't know if an independent studio would risk a Clannad). These companies wouldn't need to sell hundreds of thousands of units in order to turn a handsome profit.

2005-07-06, 09:49
On Hirameki and their new line of releases, I see that Kid was involved...

KID published Ever17 in Japan. Besides licensing, there's no sign of other involvement.

Besides, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien's anime wasn't even licensed here for release in America, so I think they were just throwing out examples.

That would also be my assumption.

rodan
2005-07-06, 10:57
Heh, "Tukihime."

Where'd they get that romaji?

emperor
2005-07-06, 12:40
Maybe from Japanese people? Or other people who use MS IME? One does rapidly get sick of unnecessary s and h by using it [and Japanese people sometimes, no often don't know about anything other than tu for つ, many don't know about the 'pronounciation oriented' ro-maji that might be common to foreigners]. (tsu->tu, shi->si,chi->ti...).

2005-07-06, 12:47
From Kunreishiki, perhaps? Or Nihonshiki?

Captainlooney
2005-07-06, 23:31

I got some of the Animeplay DVDs on Amazon if that helps, got "Amusement Park" there and I saw a few other titles offered on there. You probably won't find them easily in any stores save for maybe Suncoast which the one in my local shopping mall does cary some Hirameki titles (or just attend a convention).

GLACIER
2005-07-06, 23:48
The high cost of shelf space would probably prevent these from being sold at stores like EBGames/Gamestop.

Haeleth
2005-07-07, 05:37
Fortunately Amazon USA ships worldwide, so if they carry them, nobody will have any excuse for not supporting the English market.

(No, not even poverty. You must have some elderly relatives you could sell or something...)

2005-07-07, 06:03
Heh, "Tukihime."

Where'd they get that romaji?

May be from here? ;p

<span title = "You may be able to play if you install Tsukihime to a path which isn't controlled by OS system. (For example:C:\\TUKIHIME)">OSが管理していない場所にインストールすることで月姫をプレーすることができる場合があります。(例: C:\\TUKIHIME)</span>
The directory path of early version appears to different from now. but let's pretend we know nothing. :p

kouryuu
2005-07-07, 07:18
(No, not even poverty. You must have some elderly relatives you could sell or something...)

or that friend who actually has money, from whom you can leech with 'promises' to pay back eventually...

emperor
2005-07-07, 09:11
C:\\TUKIHIME

I had no idea \\ was allowed. I cannot confirm it either... \\ is usually used to indicate smb in windows...but \ is simply for paths and the foldername cannot contain \ as the first letter.

Haeleth
2005-07-07, 12:59
They probably copied it from some code - as you may know, in programming languages like C, '\' is a special character in strings, and you have to write '\\' to get a single '\'.

Nanatuha
2005-07-07, 15:53
(゜Д゜;) What is the "OS system"? Who of fool has written this? You? or You there!? ... I'm sorry. It was me.

Chain of hatred gives birth to nothing. Silent prayer for casualties in the incident.

gp32
2005-07-07, 17:28
Chain of hatred gives birth to nothing. Silent prayer for casualties in the incident.
Oh, wait, I totally misread this. I add my condolences to Nanatuha's.

Stranger
2005-07-08, 01:18
Fortunately Amazon USA ships worldwide, so if they carry them, nobody will have any excuse for not supporting the English market.for your info, Amazon does NOT ship software world wide (I tried more then once to get RedHat CDs from them, in the end I had to buy books that come with the CDs instead of buying the CDs themselves and give money to RedHat). Heck many online shop doesn't. And for that matter, am not sure if they will even display H games

Aldareon
2005-07-08, 04:01
for your info, Amazon does NOT ship software world wide
I remember buying Mark Minasi's Windows 2003 Server book from Amazon, but I can't say the same for the actual cd. That's because Amazon is very stringent in regards to US exportation laws on software, as well as hardware. I'd assume that you may be able to get software shipped from amazon.co.jp, but I personally haven't tried it. Any takers?

And just for chuckles, would you prefer original Japanese audio, English dubs, or a switch option between the two?
Dunno about the chuckles, but I used to prefer the english dubs. Not long after I decided to try out subtitles with original audio and I soon start realizing how the dubs can easily stray away from the original plot. If I decide not to read the subs for sentences I understand then I get even more of the creator's intentions. Head overheats just trying to translate speaking speed at times though.

Haeleth
2005-07-08, 04:28
Hmm, I guess I assumed they'd treat "AnimePlay" the same way they treat regular anime DVDs, which they do happily ship to any region, completely ignoring region codes in my experience. I admit I've never tried them on software. But I wouldn't expect games to have the same export restrictions as operating systems? (Totally ignorant about US law here...)

Still, the H thing shouldn't be an issue, as I'm assuming Hirameki will be continuing to sell only all-age games.

OT: if anyone's worried, let me reassure you that neither I nor anyone I know has been directly affected by the terror attacks in London. My thoughts are with those who have.

Aldareon
2005-07-08, 06:28
Great to see you're okay! I shudder to think what the other otaku on this board would resort to should the unspeakable happen ^_^

Haeleth
2005-07-08, 06:45
I realise you folk who live in big countries tend to think of Britain as being about the size of one of your shopping malls, but it is a fair size as island nations go. Where I live is barely any closer to London than the distance between Osaka and Tokyo... ^^;

Nanatuha
2005-07-08, 06:50
Amazon don't export Software (include video game).

From personal experience, I think that it's easier to ask a small shop exporting them. They were pretty tolerance, or I should express to "loose". ^^; I might be merely lucky, though.

>gp32
えー? 村上春樹でもよかったのにー(笑) Anyway, My bad. It was too sudden and totally off topic.

>Haeleth
Excuse me, that comparison is already an cause of misunderstanding. I've been asked one time like as "I know. Japan is next to India, isn't it?". ;)

gp32
2005-07-08, 07:33
I agree; chances are that there will always be someone out there willing to export video games from one country to the next.

えー? 村上春樹でもよかったのにー(笑)
「完璧な文章などといったものは存在しない。完璧な絶望が存在しないようにね。」

AstCd2
2005-07-08, 08:27
I know it's been four days, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

It might be just me, but it seems like the renai genre is starting to get some more English interest.

...so, any information/comments on English renai development?

Title choices aside, I'm glad there are developers interested in the renai game market as something other than a source of exotic pornography. Their success can only mean good things to follow, whether from them or other companies which join the market.

It's interesting to note that in spite of the fact that renai games have been around for at least 20 years now, the market in Japan is still rather small as far as hobby industries go - in spite of the fact that it's also the home of related industries such as manga, anime, cosplay, and so on, as well as where the developers are located (except for that odd studio which appears to be in New Zealand (http://www.qmax.co.nz/mini/)). If they're going to succeed in the west at all, I imagine that it'll have be more of a cultural victory than a financial one.

English has never been the 'optimum' language in which to play things so heavily reliant on cultural subtext like renai games and bishoujo anime - a fact which becomes painfully obvious (far more so than when people are simply parsing translated text) when people are actually acting out the lines, simply because often, despite Herculean efforts to keep the dialogue both coherent and accurate, these aren't the conversational contexts we in the west are used to.

As a result, I'd have to say that Japanese dialogue would be a better option, even for non-speakers. It might sound like gibberish, but it conveys the sense of emotion and the timing that the makers intended you to hear - things which are inevitable casualties when English voice actors have to repeat the lines after they've been bent into an alternative phrasing in a completely different language.

Of course, a switch option would be even better, but I assume that'd push games which could fit onto CDs into DVD territory.

I agree; chances are that there will always be someone out there willing to export video games from one country to the next.

Such bitter irony it would be to see the English games come out, only to be just as hard to obtain for us non-Americans as the Japanese games =P

JudicatorOmega
2005-07-08, 13:48
The high cost of shelf space would probably prevent these from being sold at stores like EBGames/Gamestop.
Haven't you guys ever looked at the shelves and asked yourself "Who comes up with this crap?" or "Why would I pay more than $10 for this?"

Shii
2005-07-08, 15:19
Haven't you guys ever looked at the shelves and asked yourself "Who comes up with this crap?" or "Why would I pay more than $10 for this?"Yes, for basically every video game out there.

I bet if Hirameki does good translations people will start to notice.

emperor
2005-07-08, 16:37
I wouldn't bet. I dunno if it's better in other countries but here in Germany...the majority does not like to read, some hate it quiet a bit, and especially young people would hardly read. Furthermore 1% cannot even read...I guess it would convince some people interested in anime to do so...but that would why would they? They have enough anime. And from what I know from America [what this is all about after all, honestly people here like reading English even less, so it's not the target market in the slightest] I don't believe in a huge contrast. I mean...the anime play dvds didn't change the world and now things you play on the computer are supposed to? Is the change of medium really changing it? I'm not saying there is anybody without a computer but the rate of people who can play dvds is equal or higher[since you can play them with a computer as well]. Well maybe the change of games can do something but I highly doubt it.

Captainlooney
2005-07-08, 23:09
Fortunately Amazon USA ships worldwide, so if they carry them, nobody will have any excuse for not supporting the English market.for your info, Amazon does NOT ship software world wide (I tried more then once to get RedHat CDs from them, in the end I had to buy books that come with the CDs instead of buying the CDs themselves and give money to RedHat). Heck many online shop doesn't. And for that matter, am not sure if they will even display H games

Well, when I posted regarding Amazon carrying some of the Hirameki titles. As far as I know the current Hirameki titles that are on the yucky AniPlay format are regarded by Amazon as DVDs and will ship internationally. Haeleth is correct as far as shipping worldwide for the Hirameki DVD titles however, I do know the next 2 titles Hirameki is releasing will be on the PC format (I talked to the guy at the Hirameki booth at AX) and thus falls into software so no luck for international fans, Stranger is right on this one.

For reference lemme just paste the shipping restriction info from Amazon if anyone cares or just to end speculation from lazy people who won't check themselves:

Toys, games, and video games can be shipped only to locations within the U.S., U.S. protectorates, and APO/FPO addresses.

Electronics, camera and photo items, kitchen and housewares items, outdoor living items, software (including games), jewelry, and tools and hardware can be shipped within the U.S. only. Some can also be shipped to U.S. protectorates and APO/FPO addresses. You'll be notified while placing your order if we're unable to ship specific items to the address you've selected.

Cell phones and service, computers, magazines, and items from the Target at Amazon.com store can be shipped only to locations within the U.S. and cannot currently be shipped to APO/FPO addresses or Puerto Rico.

Books that require special handling because they are extremely heavy (for example, multi-volume sets) can be shipped only to locations within the U.S.

omgwtflolz
2005-07-08, 23:44
I wouldn't bet. I dunno if it's better in other countries but here in Germany...the majority does not like to read, some hate it quiet a bit, and especially young people would hardly read. Furthermore 1% cannot even read...

Also, I seem to recall countless debates about the merits and flaws of dubbing, which had a lot of people saying that reading takes too much effort.

And let's not forget the average imbecile's view on text adventures.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R52824.html

"The haste in production is apparent from the first seconds of play. Gone is any sort of role playing system. It has been replaced by a bastardized text and graphical interface, the sort commonly seen in Japanese pornography games."

Note that Radical Dreamers is a text adventure and not a damned RPG.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R53026.html

"Unlike the two games referred, this game isn't a RPG but a text adventure. I mean, you have to READ what is going on in your story..."

I mean, READING. Like, looking at TEXT and READING.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R11597.html

"This is a Text-Only game, OK so there are a few pictures (like backgrounds), other than that it is pretty lame since you have to use your imagination!"

I have to, OK, like, use my brain! Oh, the pain! This game is, like, so totally lame! Duh!

Spiritsnare
2005-07-09, 06:48
Apparently dub-people don't know how to speed-read. ;P

Not just that...I bet you they used the Radical Dreamers ROM instead of the real thing...Satellaview download. (edit I don't blame them, actually...is the Satellaview system still UP?! XD) He is very single-minded to think that this could be a 'rushed' release. I don't think he's tried making a game at all, if he thinks this is rushed.

And if he's reading this right now, I challenge him to create a game and build it from the ground up without any external game-making tools (e.g. RPG Maker 2000). See how long it takes him, even if he has a 'life' to go to.

Either way, it's their fault they're missing out on a great genre of games.

edit Apparently they're trying for Ai Yori Aoshi.

In order to meet the demand of enthusiastic fans, in the summer of 2005 HIRAMEKI will release a special version of "Ai yori Aoshi" that makes the PlayStation2 software playable on a Windows platform and localized with English specifications.

emperor
2005-07-09, 07:55
Apparently dub-people don't know how to speed-read. ;P

Some do. I once saw people talking about liking dubs in a channel and their opinion was that reading is work and they are doing this in their freetime so they shouldn't have to do anything. When I find the time I might actually pity them for having to read a few lines.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-07-09, 10:17
omgwtflolz, just remember WHICH website you found that on - Gamefaqs isn't exactly a mighty paragon of intelligence and wit. It's sortof like, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany", only replace 'scum' with 'ignorance' and 'villiany' with '13-year old Halo fans'.

There's still a little hope for the general gaming public.

GLACIER
2005-07-09, 11:21
Also, I seem to recall countless debates about the merits and flaws of dubbing, which had a lot of people saying that reading takes too much effort.

A lot of people don't want to hear foreign speech either. They insist that the immersion is lost.

I have to, OK, like, use my brain! Oh, the pain! This game is, like, so totally lame! Duh!

I wouldn't exactly put it that way. Playing one of these adventures requires little thought or skill, which is why they succeed with a more casual game market.

But yeah....many console gamers aren't used to what they see as archaic presentation. Considering that many Radical Dreamers players are RPG fans, they don't necessarily despise reading (there're actually many elitist jerks who feel that they're intellectually superior to fans of other genres. The same is true of the dedicated point n' click adventure crowd), but they still want something flashier and more exciting.

is the Satellaview system still UP?! XD)

It was discontinued a good eight years ago! They're all playing with ROM dumps and translation patches.

He is very single-minded to think that this could be a 'rushed' release.

Well, there's actually a bit of truth to the "rushed" part. Square's Satallaview games were quick projects that served as "training exercises" for their less experienced employees - mainly secondary staff on recent releases (the rest prepared for the new PlayStation games. Satellaview developers were later integrated into the larger teams). As a result, they were developed with small teams, simple designs, and short production cycles.

In that way, RD was a side note as opposed to a key product. However, "rushed" is a bad descriptor since the type of design didn't require much development time.

Spiritsnare
2005-07-11, 08:28

A lot of people don't want to hear foreign speech either. They insist that the immersion is lost.

True...I cried at the dub of Strawberry Eggs. The dub. That's the first dub other than Pokémon* to make me cry.

*Hey, I was little and naive back then. :P

kouryuu
2005-07-13, 16:51
For those on the east coast with me,

Hirameki is has a booth at Otakon this year, and the claim Ai Yori Aoshi will be out this summer.

So adding 1+1= We should be able to buy the game at the con.

Anyone else gonna be there hitting up the booth?

On another Note: Hirameki is releasing Dragonia and Exodus on their DVDs.

I haven't heard of these, so whats the opinion on them from those here who have?

omgwtflolz
2005-07-13, 22:44
omgwtflolz, just remember WHICH website you found that on - Gamefaqs isn't exactly a mighty paragon of intelligence and wit. It's sortof like, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany", only replace 'scum' with 'ignorance' and 'villiany' with '13-year old Halo fans'.

There's still a little hope for the general gaming public.

Perhaps, but you forget that GameFAQs represents the general gaming public.

Haeleth
2005-07-14, 04:15
Perhaps, but you forget that GameFAQs represents the general gaming public.
Thanks, you just destroyed my will to live. ^_^

Seriously, I do think the GameFAQs contributors - at least those writing stuff that doesn't take any thought or commitment, i.e. reviews and message board users - tend to represent the lower age ranges of the gaming public. There's an awful lot of gamers in their twenties and thirties who don't have time to spare like that. So I hope there's still hope...

Spiritsnare
2005-07-14, 08:13
On that topic, I'm willing to bet I'm the youngest one here (16).

The FAQ for AIR that was at GameFAQs wasn't all that informative...and it got removed. I mean, look.

Q: I don’t want to play this game. Tell me what happens anyway.
A: A wandering puppeteer goes to a town. He runs out of money and drowns himself. His spirit now roams the beaches at night, seeking respite. Enter Misuzu, a mentally deficient private investigator. With the help of her sidekicks, Kano and Minagi, she investigates the paranormal activities taking place and discovers that an army of aliens are planning to conquer the universe. Leading them is the evil alien overlord, Michiru.
When it seems that there is nothing that they can do to stop the invasion, Kano’s sister, Hijiri, reveals that she is in fact a ninja assassin shinobi samurai kung-fu amazon warrior, and single-handedly wipes out 90% of the alien army. Michiru, seeing that she’s losing, decides that her intergalactic empire is better off without Earth at all, and releases the secret biological weapon, codenamed “Potato”. It is then revealed that Misuzu is actually an alien as well, and she sprouts wings and engages in mortal combat with the Potato in the sky above the town. After an epic battle lasting many days and nights, she finally slays the horrendous beast, and great justice and everlasting peace are victorious once more.
…the game is the story. Just play the damned game.

Even though I find it amusing, it's still rather...I can't find the word for it.

Haeleth
2005-07-14, 08:24
You lose, I'm afraid: I know for a fact we have younger members than that. (For obvious reasons I'm not going to name names...)

Sad to hear that FAQ's gone. That's the best summary of AIR's plot I've ever read. ;)

Spiritsnare
2005-07-14, 08:27
Mmmm...are those members active? :D

omgwtflolz
2005-07-14, 14:09
I wrote that. And pulled it down because it was silly. :<>

rodan
2005-07-16, 06:12

Sorry to dethrone you like that, but I've been 14 since February.
*dethrones*

Furthermore, my sister of 8 years is a fan of the Kanon anime ('cept Sayuri's puddle of blood, which I didn't show her). She uses "Uguu" in her nearly daily vocabulary. I'm not a bad influence. >.>

Spiritsnare
2005-07-22, 14:33
I use uguu and gao quite often. Which almost always leads to my friends asking the Immortal Question: "WHAT DOES 'GAO' MEAN?1!1?".

And props to you for enlightening your sister to Kanon. Did you show her AIR yet? :3

New
2005-07-22, 14:54

The FAQ for AIR that was at GameFAQs wasn't all that informative...and it got removed. I mean, look.

Q: I don’t want to play this game. Tell me what happens anyway.
A: A wandering puppeteer goes to a town. He runs out of money and drowns himself. His spirit now roams the beaches at night, seeking respite. Enter Misuzu, a mentally deficient private investigator. With the help of her sidekicks, Kano and Minagi, she investigates the paranormal activities taking place and discovers that an army of aliens are planning to conquer the universe. Leading them is the evil alien overlord, Michiru.
When it seems that there is nothing that they can do to stop the invasion, Kano’s sister, Hijiri, reveals that she is in fact a ninja assassin shinobi samurai kung-fu amazon warrior, and single-handedly wipes out 90% of the alien army. Michiru, seeing that she’s losing, decides that her intergalactic empire is better off without Earth at all, and releases the secret biological weapon, codenamed “Potato”. It is then revealed that Misuzu is actually an alien as well, and she sprouts wings and engages in mortal combat with the Potato in the sky above the town. After an epic battle lasting many days and nights, she finally slays the horrendous beast, and great justice and everlasting peace are victorious once more.
…the game is the story. Just play the damned game.

Even though I find it amusing, it's still rather...I can't find the word for it.

At least it had it's point: Play the damn game. For the record, though, I found it to be incredibly funny.

EDIT: omgwtflolz: You win. XD

Oh, and to the dude who got his sis into Kanon: How did you do that? My relatives don't even pretend to humor me when I try to show them anime.

Spiritsnare
2005-07-22, 21:58
Psst. It's easier to enlighten someone younger than you.

Because 1) you know s/he looks up to you, 2) s/he likes cartoons in general, or 3) s/he's just damn bored.

edit I did manage to get someone enlightened to the *real* (read: it's not aired on Toonami for tweens to watch and imitate!) anime scene by getting her started with AIR and Kanon. Yes, a her. She's about 10, I believe.

Name won't be named, as usual.

kouryuu
2005-07-23, 09:13
haha
nah thats ok, my club Prez, Her little sister is big into it. Seen Kanon, Kimi, AIR and all. I'm not sure how old she is... but I swear, hearing them talk, either together or to you, Its like her sister was christened Otaku at birth.

emperor
2005-07-23, 09:49
Seen Kanon, Kimi, AIR and all. I'm not sure how old she is...
I wouldn't advertise letting small children view material like kimi ga nozomu eien.

JudicatorOmega
2005-07-23, 17:42
Uh... Kiminozo has many adult situations that kids just wouldn't understand. Theres 3 in-bed scenes and 3 other kissing scenes. And one of the main characters occasionally uses sex to relieve her pain. I'd never let anyone under 16 watch this thing. (I myself am only 18)

AetherParadigm
2005-07-23, 19:37
I don't know if I would say KimiNozo would be too much for someone under 16 to see. There's no on screen sex or nudity, although there is quite a bit of it implied. Kanon had more blood than KimiNozo did and dealt with suicide, among other things. I think someone that was somewhat mature for their age would be fine with it, even at under 16. They can always watch it again when they're older and understand it better.

emperor
2005-07-24, 02:47
Well I wouldn't let anybody under 16 watch it either. I do however know that they watch it anyways if they want to. There's nothing one can do about that. Given one accepts the fact of this, I still cannot accept people seeing it as normal or even as something good. After all that child, persumably 14 or less is talking proudly about it, and other people react with it as 'oh she's otaku'. This is the main problem I actually had with it, this is like advertising it. And that child, if she likes it, fine, then watch it and enjoy, but don't talk others into it. I've seen too much people talking others [more or less indirectly] into something they didn't want...

Spiritsnare
2005-07-24, 07:45
*points to title* Maybe we should make a new thread for this...? Or have Haeleth-san split the thread?

AetherParadigm
2005-07-24, 10:31
Well, we're still close to topic as we're still on the KimiNozo subject. Hirameki's site does seem to imply that they intend to translate KimiNozo and Tsukihime too, which would be awesome. Maybe if it sells well enough, they'll start releasing Key games, and maybe the KimiNozo anime will get picked up too. I'm probably being too hopeful, but I'd certainly be first in line if they did.

..and connecting it to the sub-topic we've got going, I'd still let soneone under 16 give the KimiNozo anime a try, but most certainly not the game, if either gets released here <0.o>;;;;

zalas
2005-07-25, 03:58
I wonder how "licensing" of the Tsukihime game would work, since it was published when TYPE-MOON was still a doujin circle... And if it does get brought over officially by Hirameki, I think a certain recently-retired translator is going to cry...

Spiritsnare
2005-07-28, 09:57
Meanwhile.

Take a look at this. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7089)

You know, if they were to do something like that in the first place, they should've done it like Planetarian...

Misu
2005-07-28, 12:39
Yeah, the connecting everytime you wanted to play the game was a bit much. Planetarian's one time download and verification was a smart system. But on the flip side, I dont believe that JAST USA was letting users download this game. They probably had the user go out and purchase a copy, then when they installed it, it checked against JAST's servers. So, its kinda a different situation, since they would have to keep a database of every single copy of each game they put out for distribution instead of just the ones that users downloaded. Either way... the system never looked good from the start (at least in my opinion), and I'm not suprised it didnt work.

Haeleth
2005-07-28, 12:51
The games they were using it on probably didn't help. People pay money for that stuff?!

*sigh*

Let us once again pray for Hirameki's success with Ever17... -_-;

gp32
2005-07-28, 15:01
おぉ~ エロの神さま~、私たちの祈りを…!

Oh, wait a second, wrong god ...

Okay, fine, let's try this again ...

ずっと ずっと 憧れている
奇跡が はじまる
I want to believe that a wish come true~

Wrong again -_-

Nanatuha
2005-07-28, 16:28
Ever17にはエロ神のご慈悲はありません(笑)

Brand New Heart 今ここから始まる
ムネのなかの 鼓動が 聞こえる
Come To Heart 可能性を信じて
I amn't confident about translation.

emperor
2005-07-29, 11:35
Let us once again pray for Hirameki's success with Ever17... -_-;
Hm, unfortunately it's too late for people to try their bests at tanabata. Well maybe better that way, if those two stars actually read something like this they'd at best crash into the earth.

kouryuu
2005-08-13, 22:38
Well I recently broke down, bought, and played through Ai's path of Hourglass of Summer.

I noticed a few typos that leaked through, but it seemed well done overall to me.

Bu zl tbq, ubj qrafr vf Xbgneb? Nsgre gung yvar bs "gur crefba V ybir unf orra gnxra ol fbzrbar ryfr sbe n ybat gvzr" naq gur snpg gung ur obhtug Nv gur trzvav arpxynpr, Ubj pbhyq Xbgneb ABG svther bhg gung Gnxrfuv jnf nyjnlf va ybir jvgu Nv? ... nf vs gur "ur nyjnlf frrzf gb npg rkgen avpr nebhaq Nv" jnfa'g n uvag sebz gur fgneg.

Benoit
2005-09-01, 04:07
Personally, I hope that they don't translate Kiminozo, as they will rip out the adult parts. :/
I don't like censoring, especially when the adult scenes are important to the game's story.
Yeah, the connecting everytime you wanted to play the game was a bit much. Planetarian's one time download and verification was a smart system. But on the flip side, I dont believe that JAST USA was letting users download this game. They probably had the user go out and purchase a copy, then when they installed it, it checked against JAST's servers.
It was G-Collections that released the games, and the verification was run by Interlex. G-Collections' mother company in Japan went under, and the US subsidiary got taken over by Peter Payne, who then released the patches.
The games they were using it on probably didn't help. People pay money for that stuff?!
Actually, "Hitomi - My Stepsister" and especially "Figures of Happiness" are pretty good games.

Haeleth
2005-09-01, 04:25
Thanks for the clarifications there.

Actually, "Hitomi - My Stepsister" and especially "Figures of Happiness" are pretty good games.
Gimai Hitomi ("Hitomi - My Stepsister"): ErogameScape mean rating 56%.
Shiawase no katachi ("Figures of Happiness"): ErogameScape mean rating 67%.

(For comparison, Kanon gets a mean rating of 80%, Kiminozo gets 85%, and Ever17 gets 91%.)

So maybe it's unfair to classify them as awful, but you definitely need to keep that "pretty" in there...

kouryuu
2005-09-01, 07:08
(For comparison, Kanon gets a mean rating of 80%, Kiminozo gets 85%, and Ever17 gets 91%.)

haha. nice numbers.

So where would that put AIR and Fate/Stay Night then?

Nanatuha
2005-09-01, 07:18
I'm afraid ErogameScape is convenient to look for general popular games and to avoid to take a trash, but whether it would be a cup of tea in personal is another thing.
Besides, my favorite two are here. Lower one has received low point, apart from rance.

Kichiku ou rance 鬼畜王ランス 90
Folksong フォークソング 75 (edit: I mistook rate)

It's not wrong that I say Folksong is pretty good game for my sense. I also can't recommend at all though. (Is Folksong interesting from an objective viewpoint? No, not at all. It just makes me happy feel, such a kind of game.)

Fate/stay night is 93. Air is 87.

Freakman
2005-09-01, 07:20
Kouryuu : Here's the erogamescape ranking
http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/toukei_median.php?average=t&erogame=null&coterie=null

Benoit
2005-09-01, 10:37
The EroGameScape ratings are misleading. Japanese bishoujo games rely on the popularity/reputation of the company and its franchises in order to be sold. In other words, games don't get bought based on their quality.

EroGameScape is an indicator of each game's popularity, not its quality.

Freakman
2005-09-01, 11:12
As much as I would like to agree, while the ratings may not exactly be always accurate, the criterias people choose for the game are a pretty accurate image of what you should expect from the game.
For me, unless a game has "good scenario" "moving" "got me crying" "depressive" "Died from laughing" somewhere in the top 5 criterias with enough input, I'm not even considering the game.
Not to mention that most people actually write little sum ups about what they liked / disliked about the game, regardless of the company.
So if I'm interested in a game I'll take a closer look at reviews/criterias.
But then, to each his own.

Haeleth
2005-09-01, 11:24
EroGameScape is an indicator of each game's popularity, not its quality.
Sure - though I think it probably can be useful nonetheless if you read the statistics carefully.

Looking at the spread of the ratings, I notice those means are actually being tugged down by a handful of very low ratings, so they're all on the low side if anything. (Maybe I should have quoted medians instead. That lifts FoH some way past the psychologically significant 70% mark.)

l|ammamama
2005-09-01, 12:06
wow this site is pretty usefull, if only to get an idea of what each game is like.

The category-based responses looks like a good way to see whether its the sort of game you'd enjoy or not. '笑い死ぬゲーム’ とか。 ^^

Freakman
2005-09-01, 12:09
Yeah that's the most useful feature as far as I'm concerned. Rating just gives an idea of how popular the game is.

Eden
2005-09-01, 15:22
Personally, I hope that they don't translate Kiminozo, as they will rip out the adult parts. :/
I don't like censoring, especially when the adult scenes are important to the game's story.

They? Have a missed someone saying someone may be translating it? O.o

*looks back* Something about a Hirameki? Or G-Collections? Their BBS is down so I can't look there. >.<

I hope someone does pick up Kiminozo for translation, preferably with the fandisk of what if that 'certain' event never happened.
Warning: All links may not be work safe
http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/387

That's proberly too much to hope for though, either the game itself or the fandisk. ^^;

I ran through Hitomi recently out of boredom. Maybe it was the choices I made, but I started to dislike the main character in all the paths when it got into it.

Edit: By the way, does anyone know where I can get the demo for this?
http://www.peachprincess.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=HIRA009&Category_Code=BG2
Since the website is down at the moment at least.

It's the demo for Ai Yori Aoshi.

Soulfang
2005-09-01, 15:30

They? Have a missed someone saying someone may be translating it? O.o

*looks back* Something about a Hirameki? Or G-Collections? Their BBS is down so I can't look there. >.<

I hope someone does pick up Kiminozo for translation, preferably with the fandisk of what if that 'certain' event never happened.
Warning: Not work safe
http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/387

That's proberly too much to hope for though, either the game itself or the fandisk. ^^;

I ran through Hitomi recently out of boredom. Maybe it was the choices I made, but I started to dislike the main character in all the paths when it got into it.
I never even knew that existed. o_O

Eden
2005-09-01, 15:46

I only came across it a while back, while finding out how much it'd cost me to buy Shuffle. :D

AetherParadigm
2005-09-01, 16:02

I only came across it a while back, while finding out how much it'd cost me to buy Shuffle. :D

Aah, I'm still making do with my standard DVD-spec version until I can afford it. Hirameki did have a note on their site strongly hinting they were going to license it, though I doubt it would be the full fandisk version. I can't seem to get their site to load so I can check...is it just me? And did anybody stop at their booth at Otakon to check? I fear this may end up like the G-Collections and Right Stuf false alarms that we've had before....

Eden
2005-09-01, 20:02
Aah, I'm still making do with my standard DVD-spec version until I can afford it. Hirameki did have a note on their site strongly hinting they were going to license it, though I doubt it would be the full fandisk version. I can't seem to get their site to load so I can check...is it just me? And did anybody stop at their booth at Otakon to check? I fear this may end up like the G-Collections and Right Stuf false alarms that we've had before....

It's not just you that can't get the Hirameki site to load. I was trying to get an Ai Yori Aoshi demo from there earlier and couldn't.

Though earlier it was just not letting me connect at all, now it's saying there's no file there and the main page it just the word hirameki (rather than the can't connect to website earlier).

Soulfang
2005-09-03, 03:22
Hirameki did have a note on their site strongly hinting they were going to license it, though I doubt it would be the full fandisk version.
All they put on their site were Tsukihime and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien because they were anime that were created from eroge. Not only that, but KGNE isn't even licensed for release in the US, so bringing it over here would probably wouldn't be the best idea...