PDA

View Full Version : Polyphonica

Haeleth
2005-07-02, 09:33
[Split off from the Planetarian thread for being slightly too OT]

Speaking of Kinetic Novels, it looks like they're back on track after a long hiatus. They've just released the demo of "Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica", a fantasy work: the scenario writer this time is Ichiro Sakaki. You might have heard of some of his previous novels, like the "Scrapped Princess" series. ;)
The download's running very slowly, so I can't comment on the quality yet...

Spiritsnare
2005-07-02, 09:37
Any hope of a demo translation?

(and a bit OOC: Is Trance Kiss a yaoi game or something?)

gp32
2005-07-02, 09:43
It looks like kineticnovel.jp has had a major site redesign since I wrote that buy guide; maybe it's time for me to give that thing an update.

While Haeleth has made it fairly easy for anyone who was interested in translating kinetic novels to do so, I myself am not planning on doing any more of them (what happened with planetarian was pretty instructive; I see no need to repeat an experiment that we already know the result to). They'd be good, short projects for anyone who wanted to give translating them a try, though.

Haeleth
2005-07-02, 09:48
Any hope of a demo translation?
http://dev.haeleth.net contains everything you need to make your own. :P

(and a bit OOC: Is Trance Kiss a yaoi game or something?)
Not that I know, though I only played the first ten seconds of the demo before getting sidetracked into reverse-engineering some of the exciting new features it uses. ;)

From what I saw of it, it's just a straightforward shoujo love triangle thingy. Definitely aimed at girls, anyway.

Haeleth
2005-07-02, 13:04
Spiritsnare had a post here, the relevant part of which I quoted - the whole thing is on page 10 of the Planetarian thread. It kind of got left behind when I split the topics. Sorry!

Does it come included with a insta-learn-Japanese data module to engrave onto my brain? :D
I'm afraid I was ordered by a court to remove that feature after the accident. Man, I don't know why they sounded so so upset... it was only one zombie...

(Come to that, I just tried the demo and now my head hurts. The language is slightly above the level of what I can comfortably read for fun. Nice music though.)

2005-07-02, 15:07
I heard somebody else tried that module on somebody, poor him, he was so upset because he had to wipe his cellar screaming: "Damn that idiot! One puts a plastic bag over one's head before it explodes!". So my guesses are several incidents happened all around the world so I guess it wasn't just one zombie. Too bad.

Anyways it looks like the latest kinetic novel has a preprogrammed age restriction, more or less. There is no age restriction but seeing that there are already 4jouyougai kanji on the first page of text one can assume that children couldn't read it anyways. I mean if you go to Yahoo japan where the kiddies hang out one sees even japanese children that have never seen 暇 before so....I do guess that it won't be bought by the 10 year old, or at least not by the avarage ones.

Haeleth
2005-07-02, 16:07
There is no age restriction but seeing that there are already 4jouyougai kanji on the first page of text one can assume that children couldn't read it anyways.
Come to that, there's 2 non-jouyou kanji in the first 2 characters (鬱蒼). Though to be fair 鬱 is very common (even I know it...) and 蒼 is jinmeiyou.

Mind you, it's crazy some of the things that got left out of the jouyou kanji.  嘘, 儚, 喋, 姦... it's amazing the Japanese language didn't self-destruct overnight! ;)

gp32
2005-07-02, 16:19
There was a world in which the spirits of the dead were said to possess power.

Music was their sustenance; one could bear witness to their powers in every nook and cranny, unto the ends of the earth.

Those who formed pacts with the spirits, binding the transcendental beings to their will, were known and acclaimed far and wide as the Concertmasters of the Commedia -- "Dantists".

... and now, a new legend begins at one of the training grounds for fledgling Dantists -- the Torvas Commedia Academy.
All right, that's it, I'm downloading this demo ... O_O

Haeleth
2005-07-02, 17:01
Obligatory look-at-this-with-English-text post:

http://haeleth.net/temp/polyphonica.jpg

Hands up everyone whose first thought upon seeing the picture was 「問おう、彼方が私のマスターか」!

And to get the obligatory question out of the way: No, I'm not translating this. All I've translated (and all I'm planning to translate) is that one screen.

I think I'll probably like this game when I have time to read it with my brain engaged. The main minus so far is the usual Japanese fantasy problem of incredibly long unreadable katakana names ("Peruserute"? "Purineshika"? "Kootexikarute"?). The characters are nice, though: who wouldn't like a female lead whose wake-up line for the hero is "It's breakfast-time, Foron! So hurry up and cook it!"

gp32
2005-07-02, 17:11
Hands up everyone whose first thought upon seeing the picture was 「問おう、彼方が私のマスターか」!
</eggplant mushroom>

edit: Amazing. My usage of "Commedia" was a stab (in the dark), but it seems as if this piece uses it quite extensively ...

GreatSaintLouis
2005-07-03, 00:43
who wouldn't like a female lead whose wake-up line for the hero is "It's breakfast-time, Foron! So hurry up and cook it!"
That's got to create some sort of imbalance in the Force of eroge. It's unheard of! What next - male leads that AREN'T sullen and sarcastic?

</eggplant mushroom>
Wonder if he got teased for that a lot in school?

kouryuu
2005-07-03, 09:48
Obligatory look-at-this-with-English-text post:

*raises hand*

although to be honest, my *actual* first thought was "did they steal and recolor Blue Spirit?

gp32
2005-07-03, 09:55
What next - male leads that AREN'T sullen and sarcastic?
Isn't that, like, Naoki from Hanihani? He might (try to) be sarcastic (but Matsuri shoots him down anyway), but he's certainly not sullen by any stretch of the imagination ...

Haeleth
2005-07-03, 12:10
Heh, there's worse than Naoki. Try the lead whose name I've blessedly forgotten from Saga Planets' Usoten: he's as cheerful and extroverted as a talkshow host. Unfortunately he's also the world's biggest prat ever. (There's a playable demo, which I've often meant to point gp32 to, if only to prove that the heroes of the demos he has translated really aren't all that bad.)

gp32
2005-07-03, 13:22
Heh, there's worse than Naoki.
Actually, I like Naoki a lot; I was extremely impressed by the fact that in-game, no matter which path you choose, it's obvious that Honami is very important to him. Since when does the protagonist care about the girl-next-door-who's-not-so-secretly-been-in-love-with-him-for-years?

Impressive. Most impressive.
Besides, for a man who's supposed to fit the role of the annoying best friend, Kouji isn't annoying at all. And he *does* know a decent bit about astronomy, which impresses the hell out of me (I mean, supporting characters who aren't one-dimensional? Sacrebleu!).

if only to prove that the heroes of the demos he has translated really aren't all that bad.)
Actually, here, try this (http://www.hook-net.jp/_summer/) (warning: link not work-safe) -- this piece is, well, the literary equivalent of a boob grab: it's inane, impolitic, and you feel (ever so slightly?) dirty afterwards. First of all, the childhood-friend-girl-next-door dethrones Akari of To Heart as the reigning 最終兵器(爆裂無敵)幼馴染; second of all, we finally have an annoying-best-friend who is even *more* annoying than Tsutomu of Wind.

Neither of which are good things at all -_-

... somehow, I've preordered this -_-

Goddamn beautiful OP video. Goddamn Hashimoto Miyuki. Goddamn こいのうた. -_-

To get back on topic: a tentative thumbs-up. The not-so-subtle references to Dante and the Divine Comedy are pretty amusing, at the very least.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-07-05, 13:08
Isn't that, like, Naoki from Hanihani? He might (try to) be sarcastic (but Matsuri shoots him down anyway), but he's certainly not sullen by any stretch of the imagination ...
Well, of course! I thought Hanihani being the exception was a given. ;)