PDA

View Full Version : Clannad PS2 version confirmed

Haeleth
2005-06-24, 04:48
Hot from the Key Official Homepage: Interchannel will be releasing a PS2 version of Clannad this year. I can't find it on Interchannel's site, so no details yet, but presumably it'll be the same deal as usual - identical to the PC version but with voice.

Nanatuha
2005-06-24, 06:01
Now think of that, I heard Realize is flooding by men voices.

(゜Д゜) ... R,Renai game? with who?

Haeleth
2005-06-24, 06:44
Heh, I did see they'd put Realize in the "for girls" section as well as the "for boys" section... O_O

Well... it does have more male characters than most ren'ai games... but as long as they've found decent female actors to handle Yae and Saya, I shan't complain. (Hmm... Kuwatani Natsuko and someone called Honda Youko...)

zalas
2005-06-24, 11:27
Since Clannad was clean, I wonder if there's areas that the PC version will have an advantage over the PS2 version...

This and Utawarerumono (upcoming) and BFPS2 (which I've already bought) is pressing me to buy an actual PS2 <_<

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-24, 13:29
Console release - yayy!

No Dreamcast release - boo!

I gues the system's getting a little past its prime, but still - it's possibly the best platform for visual novel conversions out there. Heck, HaniHani was only released on it last summer, so it can't be getting THAT long in the tooth! Maybe they'll do a port later.

I wonder if the PS2 Clannad will be compatable with that Sony printer featured on Interchannel's pages for Kanon and Air. I gather it lets you print out pictures from the game - CG scenes perhaps, or endings? I must say it's got me intrigued, to say the least.

All I know is I'd hate to be Key right now - they've probably got all the rabid fanboys beating down their door in anticipation of not only PS2 Clannad, but Tomoyo After as well. Heaven knows they don't want to anger the masses with 2 possible slipped release dates this time!

adun50
2005-06-24, 17:13
YAY! for Clannad coming to PS2 with voices. I am now quite curious to see who will be voicing which characters. though will the protagonist also be voiced?

AstCd2
2005-06-25, 00:08
I doubt Tomoya's going to be voiced, given how much dialogue he has and conservative Key is. Besides, listening to him moan out loud for the whole game would drive you nuts =P.

I'll be very interested to see who they pick for Sunohara and Akki, though.

hir
2005-06-25, 00:28
I've always wondered why "the man" never gets voiced.
It's like watching a standup comedian but reading his lines in subtitle.

But the general audience don't care about the man's voice at all, I guess.

You can just give him the voice and be able to turn it on/off on the config.
(the default should be off, if you're planning to be conservative)
Oh and a hotkey for the toggle may be a good idea.

Besides, listening to him moan out loud for the whole game would drive you nuts =P.

But I agree on this...some of the lines are agonizing.

Haeleth
2005-06-25, 03:17
Yukito and Ryuuya were voiced in AIR PS2 - that's an encouraging precedent.

I bet the real hardcore fans would turn the male voice off anyway - so they can read his lines aloud themselves... ;)

AstCd2
2005-06-25, 03:23
Yukito and Ryuuya were voiced in AIR PS2 - that's an encouraging precedent.

Was Ryuuya actually voiced? I thought the only time the main characters received voices was when they were seen in third person. If that's the case, I'm still rather doubtful, as the only perspective in Clannad is Tomoya's point of view (and the character in 幻想世界, I suppose).

I bet the real hardcore fans would turn the male voice off anyway - so they can read his lines aloud themselves... ;)

うわ~ 
い た す ぎ る

My personal irrational hope is for 仁科りえ and 杉坂 to at least get their own standing pictures. For characters with such a significant role, I've always found it odd that they didn't spend 10 minutes knocking something up for them.

P.S.
I'm not the only Rie fan! Really!
http://toritenweb.fc2web.com/hikari00.htm

Haeleth
2005-06-25, 03:46
Was Ryuuya actually voiced? I thought the only time the main characters received voices was when they were seen in third person.
Nope, Yukito and Ryuuya are voiced all the way through, even when you're seeing things from their perspective. (That is, their direct speech is voiced - their narration isn't.)

AstCd2
2005-06-25, 03:55
Interesting indeed... in that case, they really might go ahead with it, especially given that some other makers have been doing the same recently (notably Leaf's Tears to Tiara). I do wonder if there's enough room to keep him voiced for the whole thing, though, given that Clannad has a lot of talking.

I also forgot about the chapter in the past from Shima-kun's point of view. That'd certainly be a simple enough section to voice, even if they weren't going to do Tomoya's parts.

hir
2005-06-25, 10:22

I'd rather call that an embarrasment torture...

Or you can set the protagonist's name to your real name,
and read the girls' lines out loud.
Be sure to have your friends around when you do this :)

2005-06-25, 12:13
Hmm... Did Kitagawa have a voice?

Haeleth
2005-06-25, 12:38
Yep. Played by Tomokazu Seki.

adun50
2005-06-25, 16:27
well there is a benefit if they decide to voice Tomoya. It'd be like a preview of what his voice would be if a Clannad anime series would ever come out. well thats how I see it.

AstCd2
2005-06-26, 01:08
A list of the line counts in Clannad just popped up on Hakagi, so I thought I'd take the liberty of stealing it and working out whether keeping everyone voiced is feasible.

Character : Lines
Nagisa    : 7734
Kyou    : 2943
Kotomi : 1859
Fuuko   : 2180
Tomoyo  : 2794
Yukine : 982
Ryou    : 2306
Sunohara : 8081
Mei   : 1497
Akio   : 2272
Sanae   : 1673
Misae : 1150
Kappei   : 789
Yuusuke : 1266
Kouko   : 685
Naoyuki : 132
Koumura : 224
Ushio    : 347
Shino   : 73
Tomoya  : 23843

The PS2 DVD has about 4.7GB capacity, and the PC version Clannad takes up 2.21GB.
Assuming the PS2 version is a similar size, that leaves about 2550MB.

In other words, you'd only have enough room to voice everyone if each line was an average of 41.56kb.
I'm no audio expert, but I have difficulty believing that would be enough, at least for sound of any reasonable quality.
Perhaps there's hope, though, if they switch to dual layer DVDs.

Haeleth
2005-06-26, 04:12
Bear in mind that the size of the PC version could probably be reduced considerably. More than half of it is the music, which doesn't seem to be particularly heavily compressed (they didn't need to, since they had so much free space on their non-voiced DVD). So they could probably free up another half-gig right there.

I also bet those line counts don't take into account silent lines, sighs, grunts, yawns, and so on, which presumably wouldn't need to be recorded individually. But I can't be bothered to do a grep myself and find out how significant those omissions would be. ;)

zalas
2005-06-26, 14:14
I've always wondered why "the man" never gets voiced.
It's like watching a standup comedian but reading his lines in subtitle.

Oh, they're voiced in Studio e.go! games, and I think it's there for the enjoyment of the main artist <_<

gp32
2005-06-26, 14:18
Of course, School Days also voices the protagonist, although you can turn it on or off using the suspiciously-named "male breath" option ...

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-26, 15:01
although you can turn it on or off using the suspiciously-named "male breath" option ...
Am I the only one that gets mental images of heavy, creepy stalker-like breathing with an option name like that? Suspiciously-named, indeed.

zalas
2005-06-27, 03:23
school days... ayashii... ayashiibito... ayakashibito... oh wait _-_

Korgath
2005-06-27, 14:37
Of course, School Days also voices the protagonist, although you can turn it on or off using the suspiciously-named "male breath" option ...

ハァハァ

AstCd2
2005-06-28, 07:14
From the August volume of G's Magazine (a frequent mouthpiece for Key):

Finally, the consumer conversion!
I don't know about the changes regarding the voices, but the staff are looking foward to it to. Actually, I was kind of worried that they wouldn't be able to fit it all on with the amount of dialogue, but it looks like we'll be able to get them to do it after all, and I'm grateful for it. Interchannel did a really professional job with the direction of Air in the past for us, so it should be something to look forward to. We hope you'll be picking up a copy.

The side stories serialized in this magazine will soon be bound into an individual volume too, so you can also look forward to that. We guarentee you'll be able to get a deeper taste of the world of Clannad. Please do pick up a copy of this too!

Maeda Jun

Haeleth
2005-06-28, 07:23
So... inconclusive, then. (And still no mention of the game on Interchannel's site. Get a move on dammit, I want to see a cast list!)

AstCd2
2005-06-28, 07:33
But wait, there's more!

The Clannad PS2 conversion project has finally gotten underway!
When Maeda-san came to us with close to 3 times the text in Air, I honestly freaked out for a second. After all, it took a total of 60 days just to record the voices for Air. For 3 times that amount... well...
Anyhow, once we begin, we'll make it through somehow with spirit, strength, and love, right?

The casting choices that everyone's been waiting to hear are scheduled for public release next month, so please look forward to it!

多部田俊雄氏 (presumably of Interchannel)

Haeleth
2005-06-28, 08:00
That's more like it. ^_^

mr.aufziehvogel
2005-06-28, 08:06
yeah, i knew they would make a version with voice :)

kouryuu
2005-06-28, 08:20
***Going off-topic:***

This image scares me... And I have yet to play Clannad...

http://www.cokage.ne.jp/~hiiragi/top63.jpg

side note: by your sig, aufziehvogel, it looks like someone's watching Kino's Journey ;)

zalas
2005-07-20, 11:03
For those of you who played Clannad, is this CG new?
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2005/07/14/h-104_41267_clannad.jpg.jpg
(from)
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2005/07/14/104,1121277861,41267,0,0.html

omgwtflolz
2005-07-20, 11:17
Nope.

AstCd2
2005-07-28, 06:24
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/

Sadly, it appears the news about the voice actors has been delayed to next month.
Boos and hisses.

Maceart
2005-08-02, 17:21
If this is any definition that a CLANNAD anime will come out and save our souls, expect at least 3 more years. Wasn't AIR Dreamcast out in 2002? and anime in 2005? Damn 2008 is a long, long wait.

By then I would be almost graduating from college! The horror!

Spiritsnare
2005-08-02, 22:42
By then, I'd be actually barely be delving into college. The horror.

But who knows? It might be shorter than that.

zalas
2005-08-03, 03:50
By then, I'd be actually barely be delving into college. The horror.

Then what are you doing here on an eroge related board? <_< >_> <_< >_>

AstCd2
2005-08-03, 03:58
I'm pretty sure a good portion of the people who come here are under 18.
There's nothing ostensibly wrong with this, of course, given that all of Key's games are available in all-age editions
(which is undoubtedly the version that they all have. Am I right? =P)

GreatSaintLouis
2005-08-03, 10:15
Of course - All Ages is the brand cats ask for name!

Kanon SE for All Ages, Air on Dreamcast, Planetarian (not that there's much choice there!)... Then again, I'm well over the minimum age for the adult versions, so the editions I have don't really matter much, I suppose.

zalas
2005-08-11, 05:20
The Clannad interchannel site is now open
http://www.interchannel.co.jp/game/clannad/
Not much there at the moment, except for a picture of the girls and the fact that it'll be out this winter.

Spiritsnare
2005-08-12, 11:54
(which is undoubtedly the version that they all have. Am I right? =P)

>.> <.<

Yes we do :D

AstCd2
2005-08-27, 03:13
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/
The voice actors have been announced.
Those familar with such things will no doubt note that Key has pulled out the proverbial big guns.

http://moonphase.web.infoseek.co.jp/commonCG/20050827a.jpg http://moonphase.web.infoseek.co.jp/commonCG/20050827b.jpg

Furukawa Nagisa : Nakahara Mai
Furukawa Sanae : Inoue Kikuko
Sunohara Mei : Tamura Yukari
Fujibayashi Ryou : Kanda Akemi
Fujibayashi Kyou : Hirohashi Ryou
Ichinose Kotomi : Noto Mamiko
Ibuki Fuuko : Nonaka Ai
Sakagami Tomoyo : Kuwashima Houko
Miyazawa Yukine : Enamoto Atsuko
Sunohara Youhei : Sakaguchi Daisuke
Furukawa Akio : Okiayu Ryoutarou
Ibuki Kouko : Minaguchi Yuko
Hiiragi Kappei : Shiraishi Ryouko
Sagara Misae : Yukino Satsuki
Yoshino Yuusuke : Midorikawa Hikaru

The returning Key alumni are;
Tamura Yukari (Mai, Michiru)
Minaguchi Yuko (Akiko)
Midorikawa Hikaru (Yukito)
Inoue Kikuko (Uraha)
[and, if we're being pedantic, Yukino Satsuki (Misaki-senpai)]

Personal Thoughts
While Nakahara Mai isn't known for playing reserved types like Nagisa, the choices for all of the other heroines (and the minor characters, for those actors I recognise) fit very well with the mental image I had of the characters, with the possible exception of Ryou.

As expected, it doesn't seem like the protagonist (Tomoya) will be voiced. I'm guessing the more obscure/spoilerish characters have been omitted too, but you would think that Koumura and Naoyuki at least rate a mention...

Korgath
2005-08-27, 10:30
Big guns indeed. I'm definitely expecting great things from Noto Mamiko, Enomoto Atsuko, Kuwashima Houko and Yukino Satsuki... though I admittedly had to look them up to know what they did. I recognize their voices distinctly, but never really made an effort to remember their names.

Nyfb, V'z abg gur bayl bar jub svaqf vg uhzbebhf gung Uvventv Xnccrv vf ibvprq ol n jbzna?

Maceart
2005-08-27, 17:31
Wow... such big name seiyuus.

I really hope they make an anime on CLANNAD now.

zalas
2005-08-27, 17:42
Sanae is Nagisa's mother right? If so, then the addition of Inoue Kikuko makes her even more irresistable <_<;; What is it with Key and awesome mother figures >_>;;

Haeleth
2005-08-28, 04:08
What is it with Key and awesome mother figures >_>;;
Do you want the Freudian explanation or the Jungian?

(BTW, when did Yukino Satsuki voice Sempai? She's played by Ayana Sumoto in the version I have, and I didn't think they were the same person.)

AstCd2
2005-08-28, 04:24
(BTW, when did Yukino Satsuki voice Sempai? She's played by Ayana Sumoto in the version I have, and I didn't think they were the same person.)

Yeah, I was referring to the semi-black-history PS version, rather than the better known PC Full Voice Edition.
It seems they also managed to get Kawasumi Ayako for Yukimi, which must have made for quite a combination.

Hatena Diary has the seiyuu information for both versions.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/ONE%A1%C1%B5%B1%A4%AF%B5%A8%C0%E1%A4%D8%A1%C1?kid=48915

In fact, given the recent release of the new 18+ One OAVs, it appears that between the various incarnations of the franchise, there are as many as 5 different actresses to one character.

zalas
2005-08-28, 19:42
In fact, given the recent release of the new 18+ One OAVs, it appears that between the various incarnations of the franchise, there are as many as 5 different actresses to one character.
Ah yes, the "ridiculously impossible to understand anime show thus we have to dumb it down for people and make it an h-oav instead"

zalas
2005-11-24, 04:45
According to a webclap on moonphase's diary, Clannad PS2 will be released on 2/23/2006, as per http://www.wonder.co.jp/news/game_release.asp

DragonmasterX
2005-12-12, 21:52
Yay, that's the exact same day Suikoden V will be released. 2/23 will be a most splendid day.