PDA

View Full Version : Interesting news article on otaku

speedtouch
2005-06-23, 03:35
Found a link to this article on ANN:

A world of his own: Create, erase, redraw (http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200506040207.html)

Seems like this guy has got some pretty extreme views!

Maceart
2005-06-23, 06:37
This guy doesn't know the meaning between reality and fantasy. I would beat him up because of the fact that he is contributing nothing to his society, no money = no progress. To hole yourself up into a little room with anime characters is a tad bit extreme.

byndhrzn
2005-06-23, 08:23
So? Most of japanese otakus are like this guy. He even made himself a good buck writing about otaku culture... I mean 9000$ TV, I want one too ;D.

zalas
2005-06-23, 10:19
This guy doesn't know the meaning between reality and fantasy. I would beat him up because of the fact that he is contributing nothing to his society, no money = no progress. To hole yourself up into a little room with anime characters is a tad bit extreme.
Looks like he does know the difference between fantasy and reality, as he had stated in the article. He just chooses to live in his fantasy world, although his partaking in maid cafe activities is a bit suspicious <_<;;

Sipping cafe au lait at one of the longest-operating maid cafes in Akihabara, Honda distanced himself and his brethren from the suspect.

``Real otaku know the difference between the two-dimensional world and the real world. Otaku are tame as sheep.''

Furthermore, he does have a real job, and is spending money. So while he's not interacting socially with actual people, he is contributing to the economy, which in turn helps people who do interact socially with other people by providing them with jobs.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-23, 12:19
That guy doesn't quite make the best case for otaku being the most mentally stable people...

Either way, I found the constant "oppressed, misunderstood teenager angst" vibe he had going through the entire article to be pretty tiring at the end. His statements about women only wanting impeccable good looks or lots of money are just as ridiculous as the violent otaku stereotypes he's trying to debunk. But then again, it would seem that fact doesn't jive with his fantasy world and is conveniently omitted.

Haeleth
2005-06-23, 12:49
Looks like he does know the difference between fantasy and reality.
Are you sure? He's claiming moe is the key to world peace...

emperor
2005-06-23, 13:05
He's claiming moe is the key to world peace...
But that should not be doubted. Or maybe doubt it, but people have all kinds of stupid ideas for world peace and this is one of the better ones.

zalas
2005-06-23, 13:10
Looks like he does know the difference between fantasy and reality.
Are you sure? He's claiming moe is the key to world peace...
Well, if everyone was just sitting at home watching cute 2D figures on the screen, they wouldn't have time for war <_< Though, it might also lead to world anarchy (as in lack of government) >_>

2005-06-23, 14:21
Or world destruction and starvation. for that matter since we'll all starve with no farmers to grow food and no industry to make money.

Shii
2005-06-23, 17:39
no industry to make money.Moe will be the industry and its consumers will be the farmers. On his 18th birthday the budding otaku will choose which field he will work in.

AstCd2
2005-06-23, 21:48
No one else wants to play the devil's advocate? =P
Then I suppose I'll have to.

As zalas points out, he's not advocating the abolition of employment or agriculture. Nor is he committing any more crimes (or sins - take your pick) than the rest of us. For all practical purposes, he's just a writer with some wild ideas and eccentric interests. As long as he isn't kidnapping schoolgirls off the street, who's to say that he's less worthy or productive a member of society than, say, an artist or a musician?

Personally, I'm not overly concerned with how other people live their lives, however morally reprehensible 'mainstream society' might consider such lifestyles to be. Any society which claims to be a modern liberal democracy could do worse than to abide by the Millsian ideal of allowing its citizens to find their own paths in life - and ultimately (jokes about world peace aside), I think that's all he wants; greater social tolerance, failing endorsement. Sure that's not too much to ask for?

Moe will be the industry and its consumers will be the farmers. On his 18th birthday the budding otaku will choose which field he will work in.
Welcome back, Mr. Marx. We've missed you.

Nanatuha
2005-06-24, 04:27
I think a person who is doing something beneficial is great for society, but I don't think that another someone is low because he/she is not doing so.

What the main character should've done is turn the girl into another otaku and bring her to Akihabara,'' he says.

Otaku taste isn't something which can teach someone intentionally. It will infect sometimes, though.

Quarrel of Otaku couple is disaster to circumference. Please don't let mass produce them, for my tiny peace's sake. Please don't make him come to my house to just watch a TV show because his girlfriend has occupied his TV to watch her favorites. Moe must be a mother of war. ;p

hir
2005-06-24, 10:35
Seeing the word 電波男 in this forum is quite a surprise.
So we're talking agriculture here?
The current wind's against this Honda guy?

I haven't read the book myself so I'm really not in a position to
comment, but I could give a few background info...

But then I'll have to talk about the grim side of the reality of otaku and their social status in Japan, and I don't think it's an enjoyable reading for this forum.

Let me just say this: most adult otakus do earn money. At least enough for them to survive( or they would have died out by now), and invest some of it on their hobby.

And the book's alleged point is to affirm(is this the right word?) the otaku-ish way of life, detaching yourself from real-world socialization and going for love in two-dimensional world of moe.
No one really said something like this out loud before, so it's getting some attention.

kouryuu
2005-06-24, 17:55
I knda see his point... I mean I don't agree that Otaku should be looked down on by society, and I can understand why some would shut themselves away.

I mean isn't that what people really want anyways? Love, acceptance, and the sense, even if delusional, that they belong somewhere and have accomplished something in life?

Sumida Kazuma
2005-06-29, 16:27
I read his book, and I find it very inspiring, then again sorry to see no one feels the same way, I am one of those most don't like, haven't gone outside of my house (except to go to akiba and food shopping) since I quit school 5 years ago. My whole life is about anime and the such and unlike Honda here I haven't contributed in anyway to society and don't feel like I could even if I wanted. But in the meanwhile otaku's aren't hurting anyone (except for their parents in some cases) so I don't see anything wrong with it, or moe (without it I'd be dead long ago). If you have enough feelings for an anime character try hugging a dakimakura with a print of her and if you actually feel something then you're not so different from Honda (or myself). :p

Nice forum by the way

Kazuma
2005-06-29, 16:35
Sorry I came back because I though the message doesn't give enough background and as it is I'd probably look like a guy who's done no effort in life (can't say I've done much either). I'm a half japanese half american (japanese mother as if that's some surprise...), hated school, didn't like my friends, mother died, lives with japanese aunt and uncle, stays at home using my family's money for all my goodies. My room is basically my history, andI believe this is not so abnormal for otakus. ^^

emperor
2005-06-30, 01:18
Well the otaku life is something worth aiming for...but with job. Job is a must for simply everybody [exceptions should only be disabled person, or other ones that cannot] and I don't think that should have to do with somebody's freetime activities. Well maybe it's just me but I couldn't live without the part of 'duty' in my life. The part of having to do something, wasn't everybody raised with it? It begins in school [where children are unwilling], it continues in university [where one has to be more independant, where one has to a bit mature and know what one has to do] and then on with work [which is of course also something one has to know that it's necessary].
And according to Kant, acting according to one's duties is freedom.
(要は親の脛を噛るは悪いです~)

Nanatuha
2005-06-30, 05:24
I don't much care of other's social behavior but also I think at least we'd better earn own keeping by oneself otherwise I would feel uneasy when I spend money made by someone.

Besides, the 1000-yen game that you labor and obtain would be more satiable than 8800-yen games you don't so, probably. ;)

kouryuu
2005-06-30, 08:40
To bring up the point chobits made, When it comes down to love, it shouldn't really matter to the heart and people whether or not the love that exists is between real people of flesh or not, but rather that the true love is their and the person can feel satisfied with it.

kouryuu
2005-07-07, 23:25
my friend lined me this. (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2005/07/07/apop.DTL) I found it mildly amusing.

if anime fans ruled the world, ... It'd be a world based on sharing boxes of Pocky and cans of Ramune soda.

Well, there'd still be big guns. But also a lot more cultural understanding

hir
2005-07-09, 00:02
A slightly off-timing article on otaku reference issues and the Denpa Otoko in (infamous?) Ask John.

I don't mind anyone calling him/herself anything, I'll just advise that person to be careful when introducing oneself to a Japanese native.
Be sure that the person in front of you is on YOUR side....

And speaking of which, his otaku analysis was quite hilarious.

>otaku don't responsibly contribute to society
>irresponsible and undependable because they're more focused on their hobby than on a productive career.

Wonder where he got these ideas from.