PDA

View Full Version : Cricket, Anyone?

Maceart
2005-06-18, 17:46
Seeing as how many of the forum members are from the Great Britian, I want to talk about "England's baseball". You see, my AP Calculus class' teacher is from New Zealand, and after AP testing, we played cricket on mondays and tuesdays.

But I suck at it! I can't bat, and the ball is bloody hard to catch! And games go on forever! My teacher says that a regulation match lasts 5 days, with innings of over 4 hours. Whew...

So, any thoughts Haeleth?

adun50
2005-06-18, 18:02
practice makes perfect you know. I used to play cricket in primary school ( just for fun), was never good at it at first but I got the hang of it. though I don't understand the scoring system. so whenever I heard people mentioning about this many overs and such I have no idea what it all means.

Maceart
2005-06-18, 19:05
Over is when the pitcher changes, and pitches to the other wicket. Usually it's a set number of pitches. (In my Calc class games overs consists of 8 pitches).

Haeleth
2005-06-19, 03:50
What's a pitcher? Do you mean bowler? :p

Also, England's baseball is called "rounders": it's very similar to America's baseball, except that only little girls play it. Cricket is the international sport of gentlemen, and has very little in common with baseball. For example, cricket matches stop infrequently for a cup of tea, while baseball games stop every ten minutes for an advert break.

Nothing wrong with sucking at cricket, anyway - I used to do that myself till they let me give up <acronym title="physical education, i.e. sports lessons">PE</acronym>, and it's also a fine tradition among England's best cricketers, though recently we have been startling the world by occasionally winning a match.

Chances of us winning the current match v. Australia: roughly one in a million, as our Australian regulars will no doubt be only too delighted to confirm. -_-#

(Update: we won. Also, hell just froze over.)

Aldareon
2005-06-20, 02:01
Also, England's baseball is called "rounders": it's very similar to America's baseball, except that only little girls play it.
I am under the impression that statement was overly simplified. Aren't there more differences between the two disciplines?

Chances of us winning the current match v. Australia: roughly one in a million, as our Australian regulars will no doubt be only too delighted to confirm. -_-#

(Update: we won. Also, hell just froze over.)
Hell froze over when Australia lost to Bangladesh ^_^
Hmm .. there's something cosmetically different with the english team ...

Haeleth
2005-06-20, 03:48
I am under the impression that statement was overly simplified. Aren't there more differences between the two disciplines?
Well, yeah... baseballers have bigger bats, bigger fields, bigger gloves, and bigger salaries. And baseball is actually popular, at least in Japan and the USA, whereas I've never heard of anyone being a rounders fan.

But since when did I let mere facts get in the way of a good line? ^_^