PDA

View Full Version : NScripter Mania!

gp32
2005-06-12, 19:06
http://nscripter.insani.org/

What are you waiting for? Pick up a copy of the SDK, the command reference, and start translating the NScripter-based game of your choice today!

Okay, okay, so I'm being overly enthusiastic. A man can still dream, though, right?

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-12, 19:49
As of today, and for an indefinate time hereafter, you are officially my hero. ^_^ Many thanks for your hard work in making this available to the rest of us!

AstCd2
2005-06-12, 20:17
Good job.
Now, violence will ensure if someone does not start translating ひぐらしのなく頃に immediately.

Shii
2005-06-12, 20:20
Neat, I'll start translating as soon as I get to JLPT 1. ('-`)>

As for one of the links-- Himeyashop is a pirate site, perhaps you should link instead to http://www.din.or.jp/~nekoneko/game.htm

Soulfang
2005-06-12, 20:28
Yeah, I'll start translating... wait, what was I working on again?

gp32
2005-06-12, 20:42
Good job.
Now, violence will ensure if someone does not start translating ひぐらしのなく頃に immediately.
And in our next action-packed episode of "AstCd2 Goes Homicidal" ...

Himeyashop is a pirate site, perhaps you should link instead to http://www.din.or.jp/~nekoneko/game.htm
This I've not heard before. Explain.

Yeah, these days I have no idea what *I'm* working on, either. I thought it was some game or another, and somehow I ended up getting sidetracked into translating oodles of this strange documentation that seemed to come out of nowhere, and here we are -_-

Shii
2005-06-12, 21:20
This I've not heard before. Explain.http://www.hirahira.net/cgi-bin/HiraHiraNet/user_bbs/aska.cgi is the full story I have

kouryuu
2005-06-12, 22:35
Neat, I'll start translating as soon as I get to JLPT 1. ('-`)>

you and me both.

GLACIER
2005-06-12, 23:43
Odd. Himeya Soft = C's Ware (the American subsidiary, actually, although the parent company has since been renamed too). As far as I know, they aren't normally known for counterfeit goods....

gp32
2005-06-13, 00:14
I e-mailed Himeya about this, and got this response:

Dear Seung,

Thank you very much for the question.
Just because we still have this software in our stock. So please hurry
as soon as someone else buy this title we'll sold it out^-^

Best regards,
Takashi Sakata

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Takashi Sakata
Himeya Soft, Inc.
533 Airport Blvd., #527
Burlingame, CA 94010, U.S.A.
http://www.himeyashop.com/
takashi@himeya.com
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

This seems consistent with the behavior from Himeya that I've seen in the past -- they buy a certain stock of a game from the publishers, and then continue to sell that stock until they're sold out, even if the game is no longer published by the publishers. Indeed, there was a time a few years back when I managed to snag a copy of a game that had been out of print for several months, by sheer luck of the draw.

If this is what they're doing here -- and I have no reason to believe that they're not (the game in question would only sell in low volumes; it's entirely possible that they're still selling from the original stock they ordered over a year back; it had been available from their old site, shop.himeya.com, ever since 2004; the 'added dates' reflect when the item listing was added to the new *website*, not when the item itself was added to their stock) -- then that still falls under legal business practice. Hirahira made no formal recall of their product, AFAIK, they simply stopped selling it.

In the end, I suppose that I do not have enough information to know for a fact whether Himeya is selling bootlegs of the product in question, but given what I've seen of their conduct in the past, and given the above, I do not find it likely that they are a "pirate site". And I *do* know now that I have been given no evidence so far that would convince me to believe that they are. If you do have such substantive evidence, now would be the time to show it; otherwise, you stand to lose a good chunk of my respect.

One does not make these allegations lightly.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-13, 01:14
My single experience with Himeya was purchasing the Kanon Standard Edition, and the product I recieved was most definately not a bootleg. Pirates generally don't take the time and effort to create the fancy packaging and inserts for their products that are commonly found in legitimate retail games. Now granted, my one order isn't nearly enough to speak authoratively on the store's conduct as a whole, but if an outfit has the means to pirate software on a large scale, I really doubt they'd bother to spend cash on even games with a ¥2,800 suggested price.

And is anyone else constantly creeped out by the insanely underage character designs in サナララ?

AstCd2
2005-06-13, 01:33
My single experience with Himeya was purchasing the Kanon Standard Edition, and the product I recieved was most definately not a bootleg. Pirates generally don't take the time and effort to create the fancy packaging and inserts for their products that are commonly found in legitimate retail games. Now granted, my one order isn't nearly enough to speak authoratively on the store's conduct as a whole, but if an outfit has the means to pirate software on a large scale, I really doubt they'd bother to spend cash on even games with a ¥2,800 suggested price.

Himeya seems to have a fairly good reputation from what I've seen. In fact, in my experience, commercial piracy (both with bricks-and-mortar and online stores) appears to be relatively uncommon for renai games (with old and used games going for pocket change in Akihabara and whatnot) - even stuff I've ordered from Hong Kong before has turned out to be legitimate. My guess is that the majority of piracy in the industry probably happens over the internet, rather than in stores.

And is anyone else constantly creeped out by the insanely underage character designs in サナララ?

If it's of any consolation, that's how Aoki Ume draws pretty much all his characters, regardless of age, so at least it's arguably (?) unintentional. Why, just look at the teacher...

Haeleth
2005-06-13, 03:18
Heh, I'm beginning to think RLdev will be stable by the time you need it. :p

is anyone else constantly creeped out by the insanely underage character designs in サナララ?
No, the rest of us stopped looking when we saw how creepy they were.
シュミが面白いな、大聖勇士くん。

GreatSaintLouis
2005-06-13, 03:59
シュミが面白いな

Oh no, I'm just as terrified of the designs as you - I've no intention of ever playing the game due to the characters alone; I was just commenting after following the link above to the game's homepage, and as I remembered there being some discussion about サナララ a while back.

Kindof along the same lines of why I'm never touching Kana: Imooto with even a 10-foot pole, despite a commercial English release and consistently good reviews on its story.

大聖勇士くん
It took me a little while to figure out the meaning of this line, but once I got it, I had to laugh. ^_^

Nanatuha
2005-06-13, 07:01
His "illegal" probably didn't mean as piracy, I think.

Selling on the general market openly is unfavorable for them because of their works are basically allowed as nonprofit works. Not selling their works in general circulation except by some specialized traders is tacit consent.

No, the rest of us stopped looking when we saw how creepy they were.

hahaha (゜Д゜;) that's right *hide はじめてのおるすばん*

kouryuu
2005-06-13, 07:02
My experiences with Himeya so far have only been to purchase Fate/Sword Dance. It didn't come in a box with fancy packaging or anything, but as far as I can tell, and considering its a Doujin game anyway, it was legit.

Soulfang
2005-06-13, 07:58
My experiences with Himeya so far have only been to purchase Fate/Sword Dance. It didn't come in a box with fancy packaging or anything, but as far as I can tell, and considering its a Doujin game anyway, it was legit.
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Haeleth
2005-06-13, 08:56
*hide はじめてのおるすばん*
成る程・・・やっぱりそんな訳で私の極悪 「二十質問」 問題が解けられましたね(w

It took me a little while to figure out the meaning of this line
I grant that 勇士 was a little obscure, but I was hoping 大聖 would make it transparent enough... ;)

Keisuke
2005-06-13, 09:16
Great job gp32!

zalas
2005-06-13, 10:22
Seeing that with Keisuke's avatar made it look like a drunken Minagi was pachi pachi pachi-ing gp32. _-_

Anyway... should we split off the Himeya discussion into a different thread, in case people want to just ask about NScripter?

gp32
2005-06-13, 11:11
Seeing that with Keisuke's avatar made it look like a drunken Minagi was pachi pachi pachi-ing gp32. _-_
ボ、ボスけて...

Anyway... should we split off the Himeya discussion into a different thread, in case people want to just ask about NScripter?
I concur.

emperor
2005-06-14, 06:50
His "illegal" probably didn't mean as piracy, I think.
I might have been meant like this but I don't think it is true. The only thing that could get one to worry if it's legit is, if it is the same everywhere, getting games like this is calling "gray importing" here, which is considered only half-legal, actually game sellers here like to call it illegal though. Anyways last time I ordered there I also ordered ファンタシースターオンラインブルーバーストエピソード4 and the serial nr was legit so I can confirm that at least this was a legal one, and I don't the impression that it's not from any other products either.

As for back on the topic, did I just not find it or does the list of nscripter games lack 人狼奇譚 [www.jinrou.com]? At least the trial version uses nscripter. As for the running status, I wouldn't know, I don't have the game.
PS:僕は狼を見なかった

speedtouch
2005-06-15, 12:14
I've just tried out both NScripter and ONScripter, and i'm very impressed!

Armed with the command reference I created a wreck of a visual novel, with some random MP3, movie and background files. The movie playback didn't work with ONScripter, but that is of minor importance. I've never played around with such an engine before; it was fun to see things work.

Please keep it up, and thanks! がんばって!

gp32
2005-06-15, 12:48
Movie playback is only really supported in Linux at the moment. However, that's set to change soon, as I'm hacking libxine into ONScripter as we speak.

rodan
2005-06-17, 11:46

Really? I tried it out, and quit 30 minutes later when I couldn't even figure out how to display text....ガオウ。

speedtouch
2005-06-18, 06:41

Really? I tried it out, and quit 30 minutes later when I couldn't even figure out how to display text....ガオウ。

Try creating your own 0.txt from scratch... you'll learn a lot more this way.