PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing of old times

kouryuu
2005-04-30, 18:29
--edit--if this is too off-topic haeleth, then you can kill it or whatever.--end edit--

just a little reminiscing of the old shows i watched before i was truly otaku, and pursued ren ai' games. Thought i'd spread the fun.

1) so what would you say was your first anime seen?
2) what was your favorite of old anime or semi-anime shows?

Mine:
1) it was actually Sailor Moon... I woke up real early one random saturday morning for no reason, so i turned the TV on, and was greated by ep one of this series.

2) Definetly Sonic the Hedgehog. Not the crappy first Sonic seris that was on UPN and still on Toon Disney, but the awesome second series that aired on ABC at like 7AM, and followed the original comic books with all the freedom fighters, and r0X0r3d sw33tn355. Sally was awesome, the stories were all well done, the characters so much more depth, and the art syle was truer to its real form.

Tagan
2005-04-30, 18:34
1. Hard to say, I think the first one I actually SAW was Sailor Moon. But the first one I actually consistently watched was *shudders violently...* ...Uhm...Hate to say this...but Dragon Ball Z...
After Dragon Ball Z I started watching Outlaw Star, which lead me to many other great anime shows.

2. Favorite OLD anime show? Does Robotech count?

kouryuu
2005-04-30, 18:36
I said anime or semi-anime.

heck I used Sonic :) I can't complain against the use of robotech!

--edit-- you know, all this reminiscing of sonic, makes me want to scan and distro my old collection of the comics. (like issue 26-140 plus side sagas)

would anyone actually be interested in that from me? --end edit--

Hippo
2005-04-30, 19:42
my first anime show... is ... prolly doraemon...

and my favourite old anime show is..... doraemon and dbz.. kinda drew there...

AzureLight
2005-04-30, 23:23
First proper anime: Akazukin Cha Cha ^^

First anime: Doraemon. an an an~

adun50
2005-05-01, 04:15
ah the classic days of watching Robotech. but then my local asian supermarket had a video store in there as well so I could hire out videos. watched stuff like Eva, Ranma, DBZ etc all in Cantonese. but I guess first anime in Japanese would be Love Hina

kouryuu
2005-05-01, 08:28
ah the classic days of watching Robotech. but then my local asian supermarket had a video store in there as well so I could hire out videos. watched stuff like Eva, Ranma, DBZ etc all in Cantonese. but I guess first anime in Japanese would be Love Hina

aww you had an asian market? lucky... we had... well... trees.

Maceart
2005-05-01, 08:38
First anime ever: Doraemon
First true anime I enjoyed: uh, probably Heaven Warrior Shurato or Slam Dunk.

Omgwtflolzor
2005-05-01, 09:41
I started while in primary school, and now can't even remember the titles of the anime series that I used to watch. Mostly stupid stuff with giant robots.

Read a lot of Rockman and Rockman X manga back then, though. Or looked at the pictures, at least.

Misu
2005-05-01, 10:59
Haha, shoujo anime power!

I was browsing around Korean television channels when I spotted this show and it cuaght my attention, Wedding Peach! Hehe, then when I returned to the states, I began watching Sailor Moon. When I returned to Korea the year after, then had just began showing Sailor Moon S.

So, for my first, it would be Wedding Peach.
And for my favorite old school anime I watched when I was younger, Sailor Moon ^~.
Shoujo Power!

kouryuu
2005-05-01, 11:01
lol yea! it was much better than its shounen rival, DBZ. at least Sailor Moon only took one or two episodes to use the move, rather than 40-50 !

^.^

Misu
2005-05-01, 11:17
True true.... but while watching Sailor Moon on TV, I would go to the video store and rent out DB and DBZ episodes ^^;;. Best of both worlds.

kouryuu
2005-05-01, 11:29
hee hee. DBZ came on right after Sailor moon. same channel. Nice little hour of fun there :)

GreatSaintLouis
2005-05-01, 15:43
but I guess first anime in Japanese would be Love Hina
Haha, same here. Well, technically I suppose my FIRST would have been My Neighbor Totoro/となりのトトロ at the age of 12 (still a favorite today), but Love Hina had to have been the first series I'd ever seen. It still ranks among my top ten, but after reading the manga, the anime is definately a little lacking - but that's about par for the course, I suppose.

Plus the fact that in a later episode of the anime the creator of the manga gets kidnapped for the use of his private yacht is just priceless. Self-referential humor is always respectable, even in lieu of being faithful to the original storyline. ^_^

Nandemonai
2005-05-03, 18:37
Excel Saga did the self-referential thing much better. They spend half the first episode bumping off the creator of the manga. More than once.

You might also want to look into Adaptation. It's the movie adaptation of the book The Orchid Thief, and it's about how The Orchid Thief sucks and is impossible to make into a movie. Really. It's inspired.

As for my gateway anime ... that would have to be Vampire Hunter D. It was on the "Japanimation" segment that a local TV station in my area would air on Fridays occasionally.

My favorite, of the limited selection of stuff I watched before I got bit by the subbed-anime bug, would probably actually have to be Vampire Hunter D. The local TV station didn't have a terribly big selction (and if their selection ran too long, they'd just end without finishing it).