PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever considered...

curlyconnor
2005-04-19, 14:04
Haeleth,
Have you ever considered posting the raw (unedited) English script for Kanon so that people can still comprehend the game while waiting for your patch? I can completely understand if you're against doing this. You could (rightfully) consider it as degrading to the actual patch, and you may not want to release a translation unless it's pristenely edited and annotated. But it's just a thought...

Thank you.

Haeleth
2005-04-19, 14:51
Considered, yes, but I decided against it in the end. Partly for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it wouldn't actually be very useful to anyone.

The reason is that raw script jumps around all over the place - all the different paths are jumbled up together. Basically, you wouldn't be able to follow it at all if you couldn't refer to the original Japanese all the time, and even then you'd have to be constantly searching for the right bit.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-19, 17:26
I sortof wondered about the script thing too, until I took a look at what I ended up with after dumping files for the project I'm working on - those scripts read just like a Choose-You-Own-Adventure novel. "Please turn to section 018A..."

curlyconnor
2005-04-19, 18:36
Yes, what I think I'll do is go ahead and get me a copy of Kanon, and when I run out of patched game, finish up my current pathway with Oh! Text Hooker (an automatic game translator that helps a little but not enough to replace the patch of a dedicated fan such as yourself). Because, after playing through a certain point in the path with a good translation, I should be able to figure out the rest with the word-for-word online ones OH!TH gives you. However, I'll still be waiting for your complete patch, because as I said, you're much better than some machine.

Aldareon
2005-04-21, 02:55
I sortof wondered about the script thing too, until I took a look at what I ended up with after dumping files for the project I'm working on - those scripts read just like a Choose-You-Own-Adventure novel. "Please turn to section 018A..."
Still working on it? I see you haven't given up hope! How's that going anyway? Still stuck on the technicalities or on the way to getting a storyline up and running?

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-21, 11:43
Are you referring to when I was asking about various visual novel tools shortly after my joining? I've done a little work so far, mainly tinkering around with the English Ren'Py, but I haven't really made any sort of progress, and most likely won't until the school term ends in June. I do have most of the technical stuff sorted out on it though, so it should just be a matter of sitting down and writing. :)

What I was referring to above was just something I was doing for my own amusement - poking through some script files for the fun of it, mostly. You'd be hard pressed to find a plot to any of these visual novel-style games by looking through the script alone, it's a bit confusing.

HIGHWAY99
2005-04-23, 23:33
Haeleth is right about it not being very useful to most. It DOES indeed jump around too much since there are choices there you'd have to go guessing at where it jumps to each time, or a pointer would have to be placed in the script to tell ya where to read onto next. Way too much to put into that as well. Best to just wait for it to get entered into the script files. Fixing up the english to pass out would allow too many others to try and mess with stuff anyways. It would also delay work on the project a little.

*HUGS ALL THE AYU AVATARS ON THE FORUM*

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-24, 01:02
Even if some are creepy Kanoso ones? ^_^

Spiritsnare
2005-04-24, 07:28
What's wrong with Creepy Kanoso Ayu? ::hugs your av::

Haeleth
2005-04-24, 07:38
Dear me... poor Spiritsnare.

*cleans up the blood*

New
2005-04-25, 10:31
A CYOA novel? That's a good idea, actually. Why not do that and hand it out to the impatient fellows? Just seperate the pages, and add some stuff. Actually, I think I might try that just for the hell of it one day.

Dear me... poor Spiritsnare.

*cleans up the blood*

XD

Haeleth
2005-04-25, 10:53
A CYOA novel? That's a good idea, actually. Why not do that and hand it out to the impatient fellows? Just seperate the pages, and add some stuff.
Basically, once I've got the text into a fit state for release, I'll be so near finished with the patch that it would actually be quicker just to release that than to worry about all the problems involved in converting it to a game book.

(For example, when you make a decision relating to Ayu, you get points for it, which determine which dreams you see and whether you can enter her scenario. So I'd have to figure out some way of letting the player keep score, and make decisions based on their score, without knowing what their score is...)

New
2005-04-25, 11:01
A CYOA novel? That's a good idea, actually. Why not do that and hand it out to the impatient fellows? Just seperate the pages, and add some stuff.
Basically, once I've got the text into a fit state for release, I'll be so near finished with the patch that it would actually be quicker just to release that than to worry about all the problems involved in converting it to a game book.

(For example, when you make a decision relating to Ayu, you get points for it, which determine which dreams you see and whether you can enter her scenario. So I'd have to figure out some way of letting the player keep score, and make decisions based on their score, without knowing what their score is...)

If you did so-and-so, turn to page blahblahblah.

Otherwise, turn to page blahblahblah.

Besides, I don't have much else better to do. I can do it... when your patch is finished, of course.

K
2005-04-25, 11:19
Some CYOA books, like the old Nintendo ones, had a score sheet in the back of the book for various items and such. The sad thing was that it was hard to use the book multiple times...

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-25, 13:28
I remember those! You could only erase your pencil marks so many times before the page started breaking down, and if you were an idiot and used pen without thinking, the fun was over after that.

...Is this another one of those, "I should feel a little old for remembering this" scenarios?

K
2005-04-25, 13:36
Nah, not really.

AzureLight
2005-04-25, 22:45
Some CYOA books, like the old Nintendo ones, had a score sheet in the back of the book for various items and such. The sad thing was that it was hard to use the book multiple times...
Regular Scrabble sets also have that sort of thing, and my friend loves to recycle. I get sad whenever I saw all the 500+ scores I got rubbed off, though...

New
2005-04-26, 07:12
.... OKies.... Old people....

Anyways, I'd like to try such a project; if you'll be done by summer like you said, it should be no problem, since I will most likely not have anything to do this summer.

Please?

Haeleth
2005-04-26, 07:27
I can't guarantee I'll be done by summer, but I am planning to release the scripts when I am done, so you'll probably have an opportunity some day. ^^

New
2005-04-26, 07:30
Yay!

Although I'll have to find some way of distributing it. FF.Net is out of the question...

How about your site? :D

Misu
2005-04-27, 12:06
Well, if your looking for distrubution of just about anything remotely related to Key, your welcome to ask me ^^;;... I got more distro then I need.

AzureLight
2005-04-28, 10:10
Well, if your looking for distrubution of just about anything remotely related to Key, your welcome to ask me ^^;;... I got more distro then I need.
Sure that won't hurt your finances Misu-chin? You need to take care of yourself first...

New
2005-04-28, 17:35
Agreed. As much as I like the idea of a Fan-made Kanon CYOA novel, it wouldn't be cool for anyone to be bankrupt because of a fanproject.

Hippo
2005-04-29, 00:33
blimme, a lotta people became bankrupted cause of hobbies or fan projects...(me for example.. i spent 300 bucks on an air brush T.T)

Haeleth
2005-04-29, 02:38
An airbrush or an AIR brush? :p

adun50
2005-04-29, 06:50
that must be one expensive AIR brush :P

Misu
2005-04-29, 11:06
Haha... true, fan made things have cuase many to go broke, but my case I pay a flat fee for my bandwidth, and its way more that I am even currently utilizing (hosting all that crap >_>;;), so I'm out to help with distroing anything that needs it.

Oh, and that flat fee, well, I'll scrounge out everything and sell my car first before I let my webserver go down >_>;;...

kouryuu
2005-04-29, 13:54
Yes, what I think I'll do is go ahead and get me a copy of Kanon, and when I run out of patched game, finish up my current pathway with Oh! Text Hooker (an automatic game translator that helps a little but not enough to replace the patch of a dedicated fan such as yourself). Because, after playing through a certain point in the path with a good translation, I should be able to figure out the rest with the word-for-word online ones OH!TH gives you. However, I'll still be waiting for your complete patch, because as I said, you're much better than some machine.

O.o what is this OTHT? where did you get it? how does it work?

Haeleth
2005-04-29, 14:13
O.o what is this OTHT?
A program that grabs text from games as they display it and runs it through a machine translation program.

how does it work?
Pretty well, for machine translation. It uses the Amikai engine, which is one of the best - on a par with BizLingo, and much better than the Systran engine that Babelfish uses.

Unfortunately, that's not saying much.

Seriously, I defy anyone to work out what's meant to be happening in a scene like this:

I drink spittle secretly.
Dancing "it is still far --"
The fellow has been pressing from the passage under his view, and its end.
The sound into which the fragment of the fluorescent light sprinkled itself is broken finely makes the visit conscientious.
It was not not the sound on which it steps firmly on people's foot but a rhythm, either.
It is not a man too.
It has a new appreciation of facing strange monochrome.
Well, I guess "I drink spittle secretly" has a certain poetry to it...

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-29, 14:39
You should start taking snippets of machine translation like that and compiling them into an abstract poetry anthology - you'd be a millionaire by Christmas.

kouryuu
2005-04-29, 15:08
lol "Found Machine Translations" poetry collection by Haeleth.

I'd buy it... or download it :)

K
2005-04-29, 16:36
Haha. Well, this is what you get when you combine an online poetry generator with multibabeling...

The anarchy is
completely terrific.
A mickie D is bombed
giving to '..long way..
then' em.. ..'...
When we do, and
see the snow of
winter only come,
Reality is the stairs
that I uselessly end.
The anarchy is
completely terrific.
And, we will raise shoes
that want to kick She
or her hoof, lent Yet of
the foot of me from
whom we see the snow
of winter come by "Moo"
that the weevil of the
chocolate ate, and end
it in I drinking that Anarchy
of my shoes is completely
terrific more than safe?
(Yet can mean what
there is under the seat
by you. )The anarchy is
completely terrific.

It almost sounds deep and abstract. Almost...

curlyconnor
2005-04-29, 18:53
Yes. Although I get to enjoy some abstract poetry with OTHK every time I play Kanon, I don't get to enjoy any of the script. I guess I'm in the waiting place Haeleth.

kouryuu
2005-04-29, 21:04
thats great K. I'd definately shell out a buck or two for a good collection of things like that :).

2005-05-03, 15:57
I just patched RealLive with a patch that came with OTHK, and now I'm getting even better poetry:

Pure white snow was flying down flickeringly from the empty which was becoming heavily cloudy.
The bench of the tree which became wet to the air which became clear coldly.
Yuichi "...."
I started the body deeply sunk into the bench, and corrected the sitting posture once again.
The entrance of the station where the roof top was covered in snow is still breathing out people sparsely.
If the clock of a street installed in the open space in front of a station is seen attaching a white sigh, time will be in 3:00.

kouryuu
2005-05-03, 16:26
you know, that can't compare to Healeths patch, but that's understandable enough that it would help play through a game RAW.

K
2005-05-03, 16:33
It seems to win in the comedy department so far, though, but I'm sure the actual humor gets lost.

Omgwtflolzorz
2005-05-05, 02:52
I drink spittle secretly.
Dancing "it is still far --"
The fellow has been pressing from the passage under his view, and its end.
The sound into which the fragment of the fluorescent light sprinkled itself is broken finely makes the visit conscientious.
It was not not the sound on which it steps firmly on people's foot but a rhythm, either.
It is not a man too.
It has a new appreciation of facing strange monochrome.

One of Mai's scenes in the school at night, isn't it?

Haeleth
2005-05-18, 14:14
One of Mai's scenes in the school at night, isn't it?
A bit late to reply, but yes - you got it. I'm impressed. ;)

Tagan
2005-05-18, 14:21
I just patched RealLive with a patch that came with OTHK.

OTHK? Who's that?...

EDIT: Nevermind. Note to self: Read the whole thread instead of skimming it before answering...