PDA

View Full Version : Clannad Installation and RealLive Problem...

2005-04-09, 07:04
Hail to all.
I have obtained from a frien clannad and I've tryed to install it.
Complete installation is not possible because in thr middle there is an error (I think my non-japanese computer can recognize some file) and the I've tryed the little installation (10 Megs) without (apparently) error.
When I try to playgame stops with an error: my pc can't open the Damned RealLive. If I try to open RealLive without starts the game the error occoured again. Is this a normal error for non-japanese windows user or there is something wrong in my copy of the game?
Please answer me and - of course - I'm sorry for my bad english!

AstCd2
2005-04-09, 07:06
I'm no expert on getting these things to run, but barring any unusual issues, you could probably fix it by ensuring that that you have Windows set to Japanese.

You can do this in XP by going through

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced tab

and then setting 'language for non-unicode programs' to Japanese.

It's no harder to operate windows in this configuration (all of the menus and such are still in English), and it does wonders for compatibility.

Haeleth
2005-04-09, 07:26
When I try to playgame stops with an error: my pc can't open the Damned RealLive. If I try to open RealLive without starts the game the error occoured again. Is this a normal error for non-japanese windows user or there is something wrong in my copy of the game?
Without knowing what the error is, it's hard to say.

For what it's worth, I just tried installing Clannad in a completely English version of Windows 2000, with all language options set to English. I installed the 10 MB version, like you did. It works perfectly.

If AstCd2's suggestion doesn't help, do you think you could try providing a screenshot of the error? (Either post it here, or if you don't have anywhere to upload it, you could email it to me.)

Slipgate
2005-04-09, 15:58
Haeleth:

Just for your own FYI, on Windows XP Clannad just will NOT work without going into Japanese. It'll start and try and present something initially but effectively not be able to proceed past that point. Even AppLocale isn't convincing enough. For WinXP (even with all the updates SP2 and beyond) I needed to go into Japanese region mode even though I'm fully character-supportive and so on already (and as I said, AppLocale didn't do the trick for it).

I don't know if this person is using 2000 or XP, but I'd guess from the fact that it didn't cooperate with him that it might be XP... alternatively, if it's 2000 but he has no eastern language support added, that might be the trick too.

Slipgate

GreatSaintLouis
2005-04-09, 17:39
Is there really any reason NOT to change your codepage to Japanese, especially if you're going to be running a lot of visual novel or doujin games? I've not had any problems after doing so, aside from a few little quirks - the \ sign in my directory paths has changed to ¥, and the title bar of the Open and Save dialogue boxes in Notepad has changed to - oddly enough - Korean, but I haven't found anything yet that negatively affects the way things run. Plus, there's the added bonus of not having rows of boxes and question marks when trying to run a program in Japanese.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wonder if changing the codepage should be advocated, instead of a "If nothing else works, try this" solution, to a first step to take before even installing a Japanese game?
Unless, of course, there are some little problems that haven't yet manifested themselves...

Slipgate
2005-04-09, 18:05
Well, I *am* running in Japanese now, even though the only reason I need to is Clannad and I was just trying to get it to work, I won't be playing it for a long time yet.

There are a few quirks, where, especially for people who don't know Japanese, I wouldn't outright recommend it. I have Nero, and some Nero tools now have their menus completely in Japanese as a result. Luckily for ME I can read スキャン as Scan, but some people can't. Also, just wanting to have things be familiar and not having to reboot back and forth is why AppLocale is nice to have if you don't need to go completely over. If you don't know Japanese sometimes you might be at a loss, just like specifically Japanese software might be hopeless in English.

Another quirk is that a lot of people right now on AIM with me can't take files from me... some can, but some apparently can't get the file because AIM says it can't find it... because of the yen symbols. At first I thought path might be too long, but it glitches anytime a yen symbol has to be in the filename. Like I said, some people can... those people often have Eastern language support or are otherwise tweaked like me... but the average person it's erroring out. It's for that reason and the fact that I have no reason to run in Japanese right now that I'm probably going to switch back at least until I play Clannad.

But sure, if you're not experiencing problems and play lots of Japanese games that need it... no reason not to stay in it. It's just too extreme and with possibly side-effects that a non-Japanese speaker might not be able to handle for casual purposes if it can be avoided though. All IMHO.

Slipgate

Calthness
2005-04-10, 07:57
I'm no expert on getting these things to run, but barring any unusual issues, you could probably fix it by ensuring that that you have Windows set to Japanese.

You can do this in XP by going through

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced tab

and then setting 'language for non-unicode programs' to Japanese.

It's no harder to operate windows in this configuration (all of the menus and such are still in English), and it does wonders for compatibility.

I have thinked that this was a good solution: but japanese is not present in my ITALIAN version of windows xp... (amusing, Xhosa and Zulu are present)...

The error instead, is a classic error of windows Xp: the screen turn in 640x480 resolution (I think windows is trying to run the game) and the words an error occourred while trying to run RealLive.exe appears... I can do a screenshot but this will be really of any use?

I have an other request: in your dvd/directory of game how the icon of reallive appears? In my version the icon is the dafault icon of a DOS Program (a little window white with blue border). Peraphs in my copy of the game reallive is corrupted?
Thanks again for the attention.

AstCd2
2005-04-10, 08:04
Try going to the Languages tab and ticking "Install files for East Asian Languages". That should get you to the prompt where you can start installing Japanese, after which it'll be in the menu.

I haven't got it installed at the moment, but IIRC, the default exe icon is what it's supposed to look like. It doesn't mean the file is corrupt.

Aldareon
2005-04-11, 03:03
You will most likely need the windows cd handy as well. Italian windows .. interesting ^_^

Calthness
2005-04-12, 08:43
You will most likely need the windows cd handy as well. Italian windows .. interesting ^_^

Interesting??? It's italian windows because im from Italy... ^^'

I have did like AstCd2 says without result...
But now I have formatted my pc and incredibly after the formation Clannad Works! I don't understand why (registry errors, driver incompatibility... I don't really Know). Now the last thing to do is waiting patiently for a translation...

Thanks to all for the Help and I'm sorry If you have lost time for me...
Now thanks to AstCd2 I can now configurate pc for japanese unicode and I can now Install Melty Blood, Some patch for Eternal Fighter Zero, Clannad and finally One.

Thanks again!