PDA

View Full Version : One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ versions?

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-08, 01:58
Okay, I know it's not closely related to the translations here, but this is the most knowledgeable forum in English about Key (or pre-Key) games, so I thought it was worth a shot.

First, was there an all-ages version of One on the PC? And if I were after the PSX version, where would be the best place to buy it? I have a hard enough time confirming its existance on Google, much less finding places that sell it. Can anyone help out?

AstCd2
2005-03-08, 02:03
As far as a non-H version of One on the PC goes, I'm afraid you're out of luck. I hope you do better on finding the PSX version, though I can't say I like your odds.

Perhaps it would be better just to get a copy of the Full Voiced PC version? The H-scenes take no more than 5 seconds to skip with the control button and are no means overly explicit by today's standards.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-08, 02:16
I'd mainly prefer the PSX version because of the lack of 'adult' scenes in them - I know all of Key's (or in this case, Tactics') adult scenes are supposed to be fairly tasteful (if one could consider the subject tasteful) and not nearly as offensive as some of the stuff out there, but I feel that the adult scenes really detract from what is otherwise a beautiful story, at least in the case of Kanon and Air. They feel so out of place - much like if there was a UFO landing scene in the middle of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Plus, I just don't like them.

However, it looks like some old adage about beggars and choosers might be applicable in this case, sadly. Would you know a decent place from which one could get the PC version? I stumbled across one online shop selling it (which I can't for the life of me find again), but it was a crazy price of 8800 yen.

More importantly, is the game really worth getting? I'm interested in it for the fact that it supposedly sets the stage for the style of its successors, but as is often the case, that doesn't guarantee greatness...

gp32
2005-03-08, 05:42
They feel so out of place - much like if there was a UFO landing scene in the middle of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
But that would have been awesome.

I know this is horrible, but every single time I see that subtitle, I think of how awesome the game would have been if it were, say, ONE ~輝く銀色の銃ヘ~.

Anyway.

The game's certainly not bad, as far as these things go. I'd say that it's worth the purchase if you're proficient enough in Japanese to read through it.

Edit: I'm a Regular? Why can't I be an Irregular? :)

Haeleth
2005-03-08, 06:09
it was a crazy price of 8800 yen.
Yup, sounds about right. Expensive titles are like 9600 yen these days.

More importantly, is the game really worth getting?
It's one of the classics of the genre, and many Key fans consider it superior to Kanon and AIR.

I'm a Regular? Why can't I be an Irregular? :)
You asked for it. :p

gp32
2005-03-08, 06:16
O_O

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-08, 13:01
Yup, sounds about right. Expensive titles are like 9600 yen these days.
Boo. :( Guess I'll be holding off on that one then. I wonder if there's any chance of a Standard Edition DVD release ala Kanon and the upcoming Air?

But that would have been awesome.
Actually... yeah, a UFO would have been cool, that was a bad example. How about clowns then?

I know this is horrible, but every single time I see that subtitle, I think of how awesome the game would have been if it were, say, ONE ~輝く銀色の銃ヘ~
I'm not good with the more complex kanji - what's it say? Babelfish told me something about a shining gun something, but I think the developers left the IS_DYSLEXIC flag on for that software. -_-

AzureLight
2005-03-08, 13:47
I know this is horrible, but every single time I see that subtitle, I think of how awesome the game would have been if it were, say, ONE ~輝く銀色の銃ヘ~.
Hey, no dissing t3h silverness (http://www.greatestjournal.com/users/giniro/) -_-+
yea bad translation of the OP but meh, it's awesome of you help me with it tho ^^;; especially 石切代, even though I know there's a character called 石切 in it
<small>[I assume you meant to hit "edit" and got "quote" by mistake... :p -- Haeleth]</small>

O_O
*ROFLMAO* This is the weirdest thing I've seen all week XD;

gp32
2005-03-08, 14:00
I'm not good with the more complex kanji - what's it say? Babelfish told me something about a shining gun something, but I think the developers left the IS_DYSLEXIC flag on for that software. -_-
Okay, so the subtitle to ONE can be roughly translated as "to the radiant season". As for what I wrote? See below ...

Hey, no dissing t3h silverness (http://www.greatestjournal.com/users/giniro/) -_-+

Uh, no, I was referring to a different -- and even more awesome -- kind of silver (http://www.classicgaming.com/sfkosmo/treasure/games/radiantsilvergun/radiantsilvergun.html) altogether.

AzureLight
2005-03-08, 14:02

Uh, no, I was referring to a different -- and even more awesome -- kind of silver (http://www.classicgaming.com/sfkosmo/treasure/games/radiantsilvergun/radiantsilvergun.html) altogether.
Hey... how should I know it wasn't related to 恋愛ゲーム in any way.

gp32
2005-03-08, 14:03
Hey how should I know it wasn't related to 恋愛ゲーム in any way.
Oh, come on. A shining silver-colored gun? What else would I be talking about? Akmodan II?

Haeleth
2005-03-08, 14:08
To be fair, you had me confused too... and I translated some blurb with a brief mention of Radiant Silvergun in it only a few hours ago. ^^;

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-08, 14:19
Oh, so it WAS Radiant Silvergun. That was my first thought with the translation Babelfish provided, but I didn't think you were referring to that, lol.
Speak of expensive... :(

gp32
2005-03-08, 14:27
To be fair, you had me confused too... and I translated some blurb with a brief mention of Radiant Silvergun in it only a few hours ago. ^^;
;_;

Oh, so it WAS Radiant Silvergun. That was my first thought with the translation Babelfish provided, but I didn't think you were referring to that, lol.
Herein lies one of my many bizzare translating quirks -- whenever I see any variant of "輝く" at all, I keep getting really tempted to write "Silvergun" next in translation. Another has to do with the fact that whenever a character asks "大丈夫?", I almost invariably comment "Buster Wolf!" after that -_-

ANYWAY.

To get back on topic, ONE was published by Tactics, before the team that we now know as Key broke off and started their own company. As Tactics' policies on all-ages versions and "greatest hits" versions of games are (understandably) different from that of Key, it's fairly unlikely that you'll see a reduced-price or reduced-ero version of that game anytime soon.

However, up until very recently Himeya (http://shop.himeya.com/) was selling the game for 3990 yen -- although it doesn't appear on their site anymore (strangely enough, if you search for ONE on said site, you end up with this (http://shop.himeya.com/products/adult_win_jp_tz/one/one.html) -- their old information page for the product), it might be worth e-mailing them to see if they might have any left in stock.

You also may wish to try Akibado (http://www.akibado.com/).

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-08, 14:42
Oh, excellent, thanks for the link! I'll definately send them an e-mail about it - $44 is a lot more affordable than $88.

Now, did Tactics follow the same formula with the PSX version of the game as Key has with their console ports - i.e. remove the ero content but touch up the CGs? That would be my motivation for spending the time to look for it, but if it's essentially the same, it wouldn't really be worth the trouble of looking for it, especially if the Himeya can still sell the PC edition for $44.

Thanks to everyone for help and comments!

Korgath
2005-03-10, 14:28
I recently bought the PSX version from the Japanese Yahoo Auction site through a site that buys it in Japan then ships it worldwide. Total costs were a bit high (about 100+ dollars) but that's because I also ordered a special art/walkthrough book with it. I still have lots of games to do, though, so I won't play it for a while. Anyway, if you look through Japanese auction sites you should be able to find it and if you only buy the game it won't even be that expensive from what I've seen.

I was kind of suprised that Kid apparently handled the PSX conversion. I'm a pretty big fan of Kid's Infinity series so it was kind of cool seeing them (somewhat) involved in a Tactics/Key production.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-12, 18:52
Was the site you bought through by chance Rinkya or Celga? Or was it another one? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much did just the game itself run?

YJ will probably be my best bet - I'm not counting on it showing up on eBay, and can't seem to find any webshops that carry it. Thanks for the advice though, I'll definately start hovering over YJ from now on.

EDIT:Great googly-moogly, 8800円 for the only copy on there?? Hopefully there was a PSone Books re-release or something... :(

Korgath
2005-03-13, 15:11
Was the site you bought through by chance Rinkya or Celga? Or was it another one? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much did just the game itself run?

YJ will probably be my best bet - I'm not counting on it showing up on eBay, and can't seem to find any webshops that carry it. Thanks for the advice though, I'll definately start hovering over YJ from now on.

EDIT:Great googly-moogly, 8800円 for the only copy on there?? Hopefully there was a PSone Books re-release or something... :(

Actually, it was through Shopping Mall Japan (http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/). It was the first time I used one of these kind of services so I don't really know how they compare to one another, but they did take some time sending it to my address once they received it in America. It was in the middle of the year-end holidays and when I sent an e-mail about it they sorted it out adequately quick, so I assume they do a good job most of the time.

As for how much the game alone cost... I don't remember exactly, but I think it was around 3000-4000 yen when I checked Yahoo out. I found about 5 people offering it, some with extras (booklets, OST etc.).