PDA

View Full Version : kanon manga

neo-kun
2005-03-05, 12:09
is there a kanon manga if so where can i get it

Slipgate
2005-03-05, 13:07
There IS one, which... it may have been based on the anime rather than the game, don't know for sure... it follows the overall game scenario permutation that the anime did though. As far as where to get it, I'm not sure how kosher talking about scanlation here is - besides which I don't think the entire title has been scanlated.

It was alright back when I saw some of it but I was more of an anime fan and really wasn't in the mood for a story retread at the time.

Slipgate

adun50
2005-03-05, 14:31
I have not seen any "official" manga but there is plenty of doujinshi around. most now can be bought second hand very cheaply. try going to jpqueen (http://www.jpqueen.com/default.asp) and you'll find some around.

zalas
2005-03-05, 15:26
I have the first volume of the official story-based manga. The art style is a little bit too "blushy." Maybe they were trying to simulate the coldness of the weather. :) Supposed to be 2 volumes total. There's also a lot of officially sanctioned doujin collections that are published by DNA comics, etc. I have one of the 4koma anthologies.

The official Kanon manga is published by Dengeki Comics and is by 森嶋プチ.

AstCd2
2005-03-05, 17:09
Izumi Rei's (依澄れい) Kanon & Air anthology also comes highly recommended. It's published by Kadokawa Shoten.
Incidentally, Izumi Rei also the illustrator for Maeda Jun's current distinctly non-Key-like serial, Hibiki no Mahou, which runs in Kadokawa's Shounen Ace.

Keisuke
2005-03-05, 22:34
Izumi Rei's (依澄れい) Kanon & Air anthology also comes highly recommended. It's published by Kadokawa Shoten.
Incidentally, Izumi Rei also the illustrator for Maeda Jun's current distinctly non-Key-like serial, Hibiki no Mahou, which runs in Kadokawa's Shounen Ace.

Do you mean by Kanon & Air: SKY?
I have it and I love it ^^

AstCd2
2005-03-05, 22:38
Do you mean by Kanon & Air: SKY?
I have it and I love it ^^

That's the one.

For those interested:
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/cgi-bin/wshosea.cgi?W-NIPS=997583518X

kouryuu
2005-03-30, 13:13
I don't suppose any of you know where a translated version of the manga is available?

AstCd2
2005-03-30, 14:23
http://www.manganews.net/seriesinfo.php?id=522

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been licensed, and as you can see, not much of it has been scanlated either.

http://www.roflol.net/meow/shelf.jpg

In addition, there seems to be quite a bit of it out there ^^;

(In case you're wondering, no, this isn't my bookshelf)

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-30, 16:46
http://www.manganews.net/seriesinfo.php?id=522

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been licensed, and as you can see, not much of it has been scanlated either.
I followed the links on some of those scanlation groups to their websites, and as I suspected, the Kanon being talked about there is a shoujo (complete with the typical creepy shoujo character designs) manga that has nothing to do with Kanon. :(

Are there any sellers in the US (or in other English-speaking countries that ship worldwide) that would be selling the Kanon & Air: Sky or any other of the 'official' (i.e. following the storyline, not independent doujin or hentai) manga, or would my best bet be to just stalk a Yahoo! Japan member?

AstCd2
2005-03-30, 17:38
Gah, that's odd. I'm sure Manga Jouhou had a link to the manga as recent as a few months ago.

Kinokuniya stocks the Kanon manga and has several stores in the US. If they don't have it, you can ask them to order it from Japan for you. I'd recommend them before trying an agent or an auction.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-31, 02:22
Well, there's a store in this state, but it is about 4 hours away from me... Is there an English version of the website, by any chance? There's no way I could really order anything from a Japanese website with my limited knowledge. If I were to call the contact number or send an email to the 'local' store, would I get an English reply?

Sorry, I've never used this place before but it seems like you've had some experience, and I'd rather deal with an outfit like this than fight with an auction site or a price-gouging importer.

Then again, I'll only be 1 1/2 hours away from this place for this coming weekend anyways, maybe I should go out of my way to have a visit...

Haeleth
2005-03-31, 02:48
I buy all my manga from Amazon (e.g. this (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4048535129)). The shipping is expensive if you're in a hurry, but it's cheaper than going through an agent.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-31, 03:04
And they'll ship worldwide?

AstCd2
2005-03-31, 03:26
Well, there's a store in this state, but it is about 4 hours away from me... Is there an English version of the website, by any chance?

Oddly enough, only the Australian version of the website seems to be in complete English. It still references the same database, though.
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=06

There's no way I could really order anything from a Japanese website with my limited knowledge. If I were to call the contact number or send an email to the 'local' store, would I get an English reply?

I usually just bring the name of the thing I want to order and give it to the guy behind the counter. I'm sure you could do the same over in the US. All of their staff speak English, so you should be able to ask them the details over the phone or email.

Then again, I'll only be 1 1/2 hours away from this place for this coming weekend anyways, maybe I should go out of my way to have a visit...

I'm sure you'll find it worth the trip, if it's anything like the store here. Their in-store collection is very broad, and their service is generally as fast as can be expected (and the shipping is free, which helps to balance out the bookshop markup).

Haeleth
2005-03-31, 05:52
And they'll ship worldwide?
Not games or some CDs, but manga, yes. I did however miss the bit in your post about wanting to avoid Japanese websites; you can do some of the ordering in English, but a lot of information is not translated. Kinokuniya may be a better bet in your position.

GreatSaintLouis
2005-03-31, 17:10
Amazon might be my best bet - I've purchased from their English site, so I'm familiar with the interface. It took me 30 minutes and a combination of my bad Japanese and Babelfish's dyslexic translation before I could even find out how to register for Kinokuniya's Bookweb.

I'll just see about stopping by this weekend if I can negotiate the trip with my passenger - it might be easiest. So are there any other quality Kanon or Air manga that I should be on the lookout for?

AstCd2
2005-03-31, 17:36
The version of the Kanon manga done by reknowned 2ch addict and irredeemable otaku Mattsu of He is My Master fame is worth buying, if you can find it. Rengaworks' three-volume retelling of Kanon called WonderThree is also highly recommended.

Air-wise, DATE's Misuzu-chin Panic! is the funniest thing ever printed and a must buy on the off chance that you spot the published compilation version.

As for ordering, what I had in mind was just telling the guy at the store what you wanted rather than doing it online, though admittedly that doesn't work so well when the store is so far away.

kouryuu
2005-04-02, 17:35
yea. well I wsa just asking because my friend who was helping me get a hold of things like Kanon and AIR, cut my off until I'm able to tell him the biggest difference between the Kanon manga and the anime/game.

don't suppose any of you here would know?

AstCd2
2005-04-02, 20:01
It'll depend on which version of the manga, but the 'offical' one by Morishima is much more condensed. As many events as possible are squeezed into every chapter. I haven't read far, but there don't seem to be any other changes to the story.

K
2005-04-02, 20:26
In that case the biggest change is obviously that it's black and white.

AstCd2
2005-04-02, 21:00
I had originally intended to post the link to Misuzu-chin Panic (having neglected to do so in the earlier post), but since DATE's site appears to be down, I've decided to just package the stuff that was up there for download on my own server. Do still buy the anthology if you see it, though, since it contains the stuff that wasn't posted on his site as well as explanations for some of the weirder jokes.

Your compulsory reading:
Misuzu-chin Panic! (http://www.roflol.net/meow/misupani.rar)