PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Kanon and Air

sjoben
2005-01-21, 11:18
Hi

I have now played through Clannad, and I like it very much. It makes studing Japanese so much more fun. =) Now I'm thinking about ordering Air and/or Kanon, but the different pc versions have me confused. I suspect there is an explanation somewhere in this forum, but, man, your threads are so freaking long it's impossible to find anything. =)

So please, would anyone be kind enough to tell me what difference there is between the different pc versions (adult/all ages/standard edition/etc) of both Air and Kanon. What version, if any, has voices? I'll probably order them from Amazon.co.jp, or is there a better/cheaper alternative?

And more, I usually run Linux. Does anyone know if it is possible to play Air and Kanon under Linux? I read about xkanon, but that is only for Kanon right? How about Air? Has anyone got it running using Wine? I've managed to get Clannad running perfectly under Wine, so I hope the same is true for Air, but any confirmation of this is appreciated.

Thanks,

sjoben

Haeleth
2005-01-21, 12:20
So please, would anyone be kind enough to tell me what difference there is between the different pc versions (adult/all ages/standard edition/etc) of both Air and Kanon.
The adult versions include adult scenes with (mild and censored) depictions of sexual activity involving barely-legal teens. The all age versions remove those scenes and add extra event graphics to make up; in the case of AIR there's even an extra scene.

The "standard edition" of Kanon (there isn't an AIR equivalent yet) is a combination of the adult and all-age versions, with the extra event graphics AND the adult scenes. It's also half the price of the other versions. There's a "standard all-age version" coming out soon which will be the same price and have the adult scenes removed again.

What version, if any, has voices?
None of the PC versions have voices. There are unofficial patches that add them; you'd need a copy of the voice data files from one of the console versions in order to use one.

I'll probably order them from Amazon.co.jp, or is there a better/cheaper alternative?
Amazon.co.jp do not ship software outside Japan. Himeya is where I buy my Japanese games; they're slightly more expensive on the cover price, but their shipping rates are cheaper than Amazon's.

And more, I usually run Linux. Does anyone know if it is possible to play Air and Kanon under Linux? I read about xkanon, but that is only for Kanon right? How about Air?
xkanon works perfectly with AIR.

sjoben
2005-01-21, 13:54
Thanks a lot for the quick and informative response.

The adult versions include adult scenes with (mild and censored) depictions of sexual activity involving barely-legal teens.

Well, that much I had figured out. I mean, it's japanese, isn't it. =)

So I guess the standard edition of Kanon is the one to get. Have they said anything about releasing one for Air in the near future? If not, do you miss parts of the story in the all-ages version of Air, or is the game better of without those parts? Hmm, it feels like you miss something whichever version you get...

zalas
2005-01-21, 15:02
I played the all ages Dreamcast version for AIR, which was pretty nice because it's easy to get a Dreamcast to play foreign games, and it has sound and no adult scenes (which were kind of the low parts of the game anyways). The kanji might be a bit difficult to read sometimes unless you're playing through the VGA adapter.

Haeleth
2005-01-21, 15:28
It's pretty likely there'll be an AIR rerelease, but there's been no official announcement yet.

But there's nothing missing from the existing all-age version; the parts they've removed are either totally irrelevant to the plot, or still strongly enough implied to have the same amount of meaning (you just aren't forced to sit through a thrust-by-thrust description). Unless you're particularly anxious that the Japanese you learn includes badly written erotica, I doubt you'd miss anything. ^^

JudicatorOmega
2005-01-21, 22:18
There's a "standard all-age version" coming out soon which will be the same price and have the adult scenes removed again.
I am wondering what the difference between the "all-age version" and the "standard all-age version" will be: besides the fact that it is on DVD and that the price has been brought down. Not that I would buy the all-age version anyways.

38 USD is affordable for me and I will buy it when/if the translation patch supports it. I do understand that the translation patch could be pulled off the internet at any time if Key requests it, but that is a risk I'm willing to take for $40 rather than $80.

Don't the prices of games ever go down when their demand goes down? I just bought an Xbox game called Brute Force for only $6 because of the fact that nobody really wants it anymore.

Misu
2005-01-22, 07:29
The difference between the standard all-age version and the all-age version is minimal. Standard Edition (All Age Version) runs the newer RealLive engine, so its probably going to be better supported the the old All-Age version. They also dropped the CCDA format, so you shouldnt have any of those music fade issues. Past that, I dont believe there are any other differances.

As for the price, I'm sure if you went to some used store in Japan, the price does go down a little, and you can even see price drops in sites like Amazon.co.jp, but since people outside of Japan mainly have Himeya to go through, Himeya doesnt seem to drop their price often at all....