PDA

View Full Version : Kanon anime (split from AIR TV thread)

Haeleth
2005-01-16, 14:29
(This is getting completely off-topic, so I'm moving it out of the AIR thread.)

Incidentally Haeleth, if you're going ahead and watching Air, go back and watch Kanon TV!
I tried a while back. I decided not to bother watching any more when Ayu's Alice band turned up in Yuuichi's luggage while he was unpacking.

So far, at least, the changes in AIR have involved cutting things out rather than adding them pointlessly...

Slipgate
2005-01-16, 21:37
Aw, give it a try... it is an adaptation, some things are going to be different, but it might not be entirely pointless by the end. Well, (shrugs) up to you I guess, but I still think you'd enjoy it once you got out of the first couple episodes. (shrugs)

Slipgate

ChronoReverse
2005-01-17, 07:25
Hrm. I'd like to throw my vote for not watching the Kanon anime. I really don't see any point to it if you've played the game (and even if you haven't the animation is quite painful).

Slipgate
2005-01-17, 11:01
That's all well and good, but one should always try something themselves before they totally knock it, otherwise we wouldn't even be here talking about Key stuff. While I disagree about the quality of the anime, I respect that Haeleth gave it a shot and decided "meh" though I am going to be like aww. Anyway, I wouldn't be here were it not for the Kanon anime so (shrugs). I'll also respect your opinion but someone may like it and may be more into playing the game or seeing/playing other Key works having seen it, and it's still a Key-involved production... so I would never tell someone to skip out completely but to give it a try.

As a personal note, judging from what I've now learned about Michiru and how some things went in episode 2 (of Air), I'd say that Kanon's anime gave more context in an internal sense (minor things like "why does Child Mai wear bunny ears?" don't really throw the understanding of what's happening then and there) and could be watched on its own as a sensible story. IMHO, anyway.

Slipgate

Donut
2005-01-17, 12:12
Hmm do you really think the art in Kanon is so bad ? tougth it was pretty ok.

zalas
2005-01-17, 15:22
The Kanon anime character designs were a bit odd, with the really high lips. Other than that I kinda liked it.

adun50
2005-01-17, 15:38
well I liked the Kanon anime and the art. though I was more surprised when I actually played the game itself.

Slipgate
2005-01-17, 17:51
Eek, sorry I got us so off-topic as to necessitate a split. Anyway, I didn't mean to create any sort of conflict... just saw Haeleth watching Air and thought I'd ask him if he was thinking of giving Kanon another go. That's about it.

Slipgate

Haeleth
2005-01-17, 18:48
Reasonable question. I'm not sure what you're apologising for, it's not like this is exactly on-topic central. ;)

Back to the no-longer off-topic topic... the Kanon anime seems to be one of those things that everybody either loves or hates, like Marmite.

(Sits back and waits to see whether he can derail a discussion as effectively.)

Slipgate
2005-01-17, 19:02
What's Marmite? :) If I know that, I can derail it like a pro for you :).

Slipgate

Maceart
2005-01-17, 20:26
possibly Maria-sama ga miteru?

haeleth: the kanon anime was good. just different from the game. watch it! it was the best bishoujo game to anime conversion of 2002 anyways.

AzureLight
2005-01-17, 23:02
I found myself dropping the anime after watching some of ep1. I just... er...

I think why they left out I've and the original songs were my reason O_o but of course, knowing the storyline already may be another...

Keisuke
2005-01-17, 23:34
I've watched Anime version first, and then I played the game version(The Anime inspired me to play the game =P)

I have to admit that I really loved Anime Kanon before I played the game...

After finishing the game, the Anime just didn't seem good to me as it used to anymore...

procyon
2005-01-18, 01:30
Reasonable question. I'm not sure what you're apologising for, it's not like this is exactly on-topic central. ;)

Back to the no-longer off-topic topic... the Kanon anime seems to be one of those things that everybody either loves or hates, like Marmite.

(Sits back and waits to see whether he can derail a discussion as effectively.)

That card would be more effective if you took a stand on the marimite question :)

edit: oh, you mean 'Marmite' (the yeast spread stuff). I gotcha. Gah. Marmite is awful! There's a reason why it never caught on in the rest of the world:)

Though back to the point, I actually liked the TV animation. It was different from the game, wasn't animated as well as it could have, but overall wasn't bad.

Haeleth
2005-01-18, 05:19
That card would be more effective if you took a stand on the marimite question :)
Another anime I've never watched.

edit: oh, you mean 'Marmite' (the yeast spread stuff). I gotcha. Gah. Marmite is awful! There's a reason why it never caught on in the rest of the world:)
At last, someone understands!

It's lovely. And it did catch on in the rest of the world... kind of. At least, the Australians love their rip-off of the stuff. (Vegemite, for those who still don't know what I'm blathering about.)

Slipgate
2005-01-18, 05:23
People's opinions are all well and good. But Azurelight, just so you know, the vocal songs from the game ARE in the anime. The "where the wind leads" song ends the anime just as it ends the game, and the opening song I swear hearing during the anime and just hearing again in the game but I'm not 100% sure where it was... it wasn't as the OP song of the episodes but I'm pretty sure it was in there. Might've been at a plot event.

Slipgate

adun50
2005-01-18, 06:03
It's lovely. And it did catch on in the rest of the world... kind of. At least, the Australians love their rip-off of the stuff. (Vegemite, for those who still don't know what I'm blathering about.)

hey hey, Vegimite is an Australian icon, AFAIK it all started here. but meh, I hate the stuff anyway. it taste so horrible.

As for the game opening song, I do recall hearing it in the anime somewhere as well. though i cannot remember where.

Misu
2005-01-18, 06:27
the ending song was used in the last episode as Yuuichi is running to the hospital. its quickly followed up by that wind song that i didnt care too much for though... >>;;

gp32
2005-01-18, 06:59
that wind song that i didnt care too much for though... >>;;
Oh, c'mon, 風の辿り着く場所 was awesome. Where else would you find such garbled, inspiring-belief-in-some-kind-of-higher-diety-on-drugs-giving-two-thumbs-up-to-engrish rap lines like "(sic.) when we wanna somebody hit the girl"?

Slipgate
2005-01-18, 07:06
Yeah... in fact, when I first played the game and the opening song began playing, I was able to sing along from the fact of having heard the song in the anime.

(Hmm, come to think of it, both might be in the last episode, but I'd have to confirm and I don't think this is such a pressing point that we need to fixate on it... suffice to say both songs are in the anime)

Anyhoo...

Slipgate

gp32
2005-01-18, 07:09
(Hmm, come to think of it, both might be in the last episode, but I'd have to confirm and I don't think this is such a pressing point that we need to fixate on it... suffice to say both songs are in the anime)
They are indeed both in the last episode.

zalas
2005-01-18, 10:55
There are various music-box sounding pieces in Kanon anime that are variations on the main melody line for Last Regrets.

Spiritsnare
2005-01-18, 16:58
The vocal songs from the game ARE in the anime. The "where the wind leads" song ends the anime just as it ends the game, and the opening song I swear hearing during the anime and just hearing again in the game but I'm not 100% sure where it was... it wasn't as the OP song of the episodes but I'm pretty sure it was in there...

Game OP in the anime is in ep 13, cue 16:47 to 19:15.
Game ED in the anime is in ep 13, cue 21:20 to end.

SPOILER PART WITH MORE DESCRIPTION (sorry for the spoiler spacing).

The anime only borrows (and modifies in most cases) some tracks from the game, including the game OP/ED (the game OP was used in ep 13 cue 16:47 [from when Nayuki kisses her first and last to Yuuichi to when Yuuichi opens the Kingdom Hearts-esque Door to the Lightâ„¢ cue 19:15]; the game ED was used as closing credits for the 13th episode, start cue 21:20 and ending with the steaming Taiyaki-on-a-Plateâ„¢.)

¤