PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Halo

Haeleth
2005-01-08, 07:08
The second Kinetic Novel is now available. <cite>Maiden Halo</cite> is from Giant Panda, a considerably less famous brand than Key, and it's considerably less interesting: the prose quality is nowhere near as good as Suzumoto's writing (which was already closer to "readable" than "excellent"), and appreciating the art style requires a taste that I haven't acquired. Music's good, though.

I bought it anyway, because I wanted to see how they'd changed the system since the retraction and reinstatement of Planetarian sales. Unfortunately, while the DRM still seems to be pretty much as it was, they have made some intelligent changes to the system itself: in particular, it's no longer easy to get into debug mode, which presents the hacker with some minor difficulties.

http://haeleth.net/temp/mh.jpg

Nandemonai
2005-01-08, 09:50
I see she's wearing an eyeball for an earring. What kind of game is it?

zalas
2005-01-08, 09:57
Hallo, my Maiden name is Iniga Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to EYE!

AzureLight
2005-01-08, 10:11
they have made some intelligent changes to the system itself: in particular, it's no longer easy to get into debug mode, which presents the hacker with some minor difficulties.
Does that mean that they know people like you exist :o?

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-08, 15:18
i would think if they knew people like Haeleth existed thould make it easier to hack since these games will never come to the states without help from people like him.

Haeleth
2005-01-09, 03:03
Heh, maybe that's why they didn't close all the loopholes. ;)

More likely, they either don't know or don't care that it's still possible to modify the games, their main enemy being piracy rather than unauthorised translation.

lostotaku
2005-01-11, 10:44
More likely, they either don't know or don't care that it's still possible to modify the games, their main enemy being piracy rather than unauthorised translation.
Yeah...
I see she's wearing an eyeball for an earring. What kind of game is it?
Gotta say I'm wondering that too. Like the art though.

AzureLight
2005-01-12, 06:12
Is it me or... looks like the eyeball functions like a webcam

*is shot*

Haeleth
2005-01-12, 08:27
The girl is Neon (an alien, if the clothes didn't give it away) and the eyeball is actually a separate creature, her sidekick Vodka.

Both names were chosen by the protagonist, BTW.

Donut
2005-01-12, 09:20
.., her sidekick Vodka....
Sounds like my sidekicker during New Year.

Anyway I also think that the art is somewhat not, the way you want it. Kinda disturbing cous it is good and stuff. How old is this game ?

Haeleth
2005-01-12, 09:37
How old is this game ?
Five days. :p

Well, about a month if you count the members-only download period before they released it to the general public...

Donut
2005-01-13, 05:43
Five days. :p

Well, about a month if you count the members-only download period before they released it to the general public...

hmm lol :P From the pic you posted up i tougth it was some kind of ooold game or something. Only 5 days eh ... Do you have anymore pics ?

Stranger
2005-01-13, 05:50
you can try to get the demo, you will get more CGs and music as well :-)
site: http://kineticnovel.jp/
click the image with the arrow pointing downwords

UPDATE: made mistake the first time :-).. sorry

lostotaku
2005-01-13, 14:53
Sounds like my sidekicker during New Year.
We have so much in common.

So another visual arts kinetic novel... are they planning on making a habit of this?

Haeleth
2005-01-13, 15:32
So another visual arts kinetic novel... are they planning on making a habit of this?
In a word, yes.

Next up in February is AMEDEO's "Kare to kare no hazama de ~white labyrinth~", which has a more interesting premise. Ordinary schoolgirl Mizuho Shiraishi goes on a skiing trip with her classmate Wataru Kawada, who she fancies, and his twin brother Kakeru. But then things turn nasty as people at the ski lodge start dying from a mysterious illness.

Then there's ocelot's "Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica" due sometime after that. Not much info on that yet, except that it's written by the fantasy author Ichiro Sakaki and it's being pitched as "a tale of music and the spirits".

I expect they'll commission more if the first four are a success.

[edit: found out the KareKare boys' names]

gp32
2005-01-13, 16:16
As an aside, these make nice bite-sized translation projects for aspiring (?) groups (?) of gamesubbers ...

Stranger
2005-01-13, 22:28
well size wise, they are very small, so hopefully they will get translated easier :-)

been trying to figure out who is Haeleth's new averet but failed... so any hint?!

Haeleth
2005-01-14, 05:46
been trying to figure out who is Haeleth's new averet but failed... so any hint?!
Yae Shibaura from Realize.

JudicatorOmega
2005-01-20, 17:36
Oh my... The last time I saw eyes that big was on a certain episode of Dexter's Laboratory (Cartoon Network cartoon).

*had to point out the obvious...*