PDA

View Full Version : The Air Translation Thread

AstCd2
2004-12-28, 22:00
Rather than having bits and pieces scattered all over the other threads in an off-topic manner, I've taken the liberty of making a consolidated thread for discussing the Air game translation(s).

A bit of news for those who haven't yet heard:
( http://odin.prohosting.com/creign/Air/ )

It appears that ChaoticReign's project is now officially dead.
The good news, however, is that he's given permission for his material to be used as reference, which ought to speed up our own translation effort considerably.

Thanks for the patch, and good luck with your future pursuits, ChaoticReign.

Misu
2004-12-29, 10:05
So, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, who all is working on this project. I gathered that zalas is on it, but thats about it. Any concrete information, webpage, ect? And are their still any positions that need more support?

Nephillim
2004-12-29, 16:39
Takeda Honyakubu: http://www.cjas.org/~zalas/AIR/moin.cgi/AIR

By far, that's the only webpage and info site DEDICATED to the translations, unless you want to sniff around Triad's.

I'm beginning to see why CR pulled out. AIR's massive, especially for a single person 0_0. I'll try and speed up my side (which is trudging along at a REALLY horrible rate.)

K
2005-01-10, 17:58
Um... are the scripts he had around still up? >_>;

Haeleth
2005-01-10, 19:24
Not easily accessible, if they are. However, I assume his partial translation will still be floating round in binary form, and it's trivial enough for anyone who wants his text to extract it from there.

zalas
2005-01-11, 03:58
Do you think he would mind if I hosted his patch?

lostotaku
2005-01-11, 10:47
I saw this coming a long time ago, but... I think that with AIR TV coming out, enough interest will spark up over AIR that help well eventually be easier to come by. Good luck to everyone working on this.

Chaoticreign
2005-01-11, 16:45
*floats up*

They might be...but I've forgotten the password to that account so I can't really check at the moment OTZ Would probably be quicker just to extract the text back out as Haeleth said.

Do you think he would mind if I hosted his patch?

No, not at all...

(I do want to point out a horrible mistake in that translation that you'll want to watch out for though - from 220, ゲルルン = gelatine/jelly, not frozen XD
One of my look up later words that somehow got through editing OTZ)

Good luck with the translation work!

*sinks back down*

zalas
2005-01-11, 18:00
Thanks ChaoticReign. Now just to find the patch before it's lost to the annals of Internet history.

K
2005-01-11, 21:24
*floats up*

They might be...but I've forgotten the password to that account so I can't really check at the moment OTZ Would probably be quicker just to extract the text back out as Haeleth said.
Could well be, but I'm stupid and don't know how to do stuff like that ^_^;

Stranger
2005-01-12, 00:02
Now just to find the patch before it's lost to the annals of Internet history. I have the no voice file, if you want it then send me as IM with the email address to email it too. (note: 2.06MB rar file)

zalas
2005-01-12, 00:25
Oh thanks Stranger, but AstCd2 just sent me his copy. It's mirrored on my site now.

Misu
2005-01-12, 05:06
Just out of curiousity, is the
177/2121=8.3 on Takeda Honyakubu Fan Translation site the amound of sections you've cleared in translating for AIR? That little equation has been mystifying me for quiet a while now .....

AstCd2
2005-01-13, 02:56
I'm a little impressed that someone actually figured that out, but unfortunately it's no longer accurate =P

Donut
2005-01-13, 03:44
So, is there some kind of staff or anything that are working on doing the subs? As what I saw that Takea guy only did the subs for the anime. It'd be great if someone worked on the game tougth ^_^.

Valkyrie
2005-01-13, 22:18
zalas and co. are translating the game, in case u din know. :P

Donut
2005-01-20, 18:13
do they have any sort of webpage, you can see how it's going for em ?

Misu
2005-01-20, 19:09
the website for the AIR Translation project headed by Zalas is on Takeda's website at http://www.cjas.org/~zalas/AIR/moin.cgi/Fan_20Translation

Unfortunately, all it currently has on it is a math equation, but by now, you should already know what the equation means ^^

JudicatorOmega
2005-01-22, 21:50
Can I just say this? I'm going to go ahead and say it and hopefully not make an idiot out of myself by overlooking something so simple.

177/2121 could not possibly equal 8.3 since your trying to divide a smaller number from a bigger number. Multiplying 177 by 10 (adding a zero to the end) already tells me that 8.3 is not the answer. When I put it through my calculator the answer is .08345 which I guess you can get 8.3 from if you use scientific notation, but...

This must mean the fan translation is false because that equation is false? "But that isn't a very nice thing to do!" ^_^ (honestly, making people do some math to realize that they did it for no reason!)

AstCd2
2005-01-22, 22:25
It's a percentage... =P
zalas really ought to make the next one harder.

Misu
2005-01-22, 22:41
*spooky music in the background*
The FAN TRANSLATION of MYSTERY!!!! MWOHAHAHA!!!!

Haeleth
2005-01-23, 03:03
It's a percentage... =P
zalas really ought to make the next one harder.
I'm still trying to work out what it's a percentage of, though. I can't find any natural divisions by which AIR turns into 2121 parts.

Spiritsnare
2005-01-23, 16:21
Then again, does the equation even have anything to do with AIR in the first place? ;)

Valkyrie
2005-01-25, 03:07
since its on zalas' webby, it shld have something to do with Air? ;) nihaha...8.3%.

lostotaku
2005-01-31, 13:07
I'm still trying to work out what it's a percentage of, though. I can't find any natural divisions by which AIR turns into 2121 parts.
Maybe zalas has a special way of seeing things.

Regarding this project... is it going to be using some of the same scripts from the original translation, or is it entirely new?

And, good luck, of course.

Misu
2005-01-31, 18:08
according to what I've heard, zalas was given permission by Chaotic Reign to use his scripts as background, but zalas is regoing through the Japanese script and trasnlating it again (instead of Choatic Reign's translation of the Chinese one)

Yukito-san
2005-02-03, 14:20
in air's seen.txt (the file where all the text etc is stored) if i remember correctly, there are 2000-odd files, and 8.3% have been translated... which works out at about 170 ish... that's just my interpretation of the equation though

Haeleth
2005-02-03, 14:42
So you might think - but there are only 99 files in AIR's seen.txt, and only about 80 of those have any text in them to translate. Your basic interpretation matches ours, but the origin of the 2121 remains unclear...