PDA

View Full Version : Planetarian demo translation

ChocoEd
2004-12-17, 17:20
From everyone at insani (http://www.insani.org), we're happy to announce the release of a total English conversion of the Planetarian demo.

You can check it out at http://planetarian.insani.org. Enjoy!

Our special thanks go to Haeleth, without whose excellent RealLive tools this would not have been possible. Any mistakes you might find are our fault, though. Heh heh.

procyon
2004-12-17, 18:43
Yay!

I've been looking forward to this.

Congratulations to all who were involved in the release.

K
2004-12-18, 19:40
YESH! YAY! THANKS!!

adun50
2004-12-19, 02:48
ummm, anyone getting an error where the demo freezes once it plays the voice part? mine does that and with no text. T_T

Haeleth
2004-12-19, 04:15
See this thread (http://insani.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=open&action=display&num=1102863503) on the insani boards. Basically, due to a bug in RealLive, you need to install this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24a66277-cd9f-4332-a6f1-52b85a6470bd&displaylang=en) even if you've already installed Japanese support.

2004-12-19, 10:54
I tried the font things and it still freezes. I'm using Windows XP (without service pack 2). Any suggestions?

Misu
2004-12-19, 11:08
I may be completely wrong or stating the obvious, but enough people havent done this that it warrants a try:

Have you installed support for East Asian languages?
(to check if you have, go to Control Panel>Regional and Language Options> then check the Language tab and see if the 'Install Files for East Asian Languages' radio box is checked)

2004-12-19, 11:23
I tried the font things and it still freezes. I'm using Windows XP (without service pack 2). Any suggestions?

On Windows XP, as Misu suggests, you *must* install East Asian language support. That Microsoft patch is only valid for up to Win2K.

lostotaku
2004-12-19, 13:41
You guys are my heroes. Haeleth, Insani:

THANK YOU DOMO ARIGATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to seed this for the rest of my life. Or atleast for a long time.

2004-12-19, 13:53
You guys are my heroes. Haeleth, Insani:
Haeleth would be your hero, not me. I just did this because I was bored.

You know, this reminds me of Mia in Majipuri, when she goes "ohayo good morning" ... :)

gp32
2004-12-19, 13:54
My apologies -- the above post was mine.

2004-12-19, 14:41

On Windows XP, as Misu suggests, you *must* install East Asian language support. That Microsoft patch is only valid for up to Win2K.

It is installed. Thus my confusion.

gp32
2004-12-19, 14:58
Hmm. Have you also tried installing one of the freeware Japanese fonts and telling RealLive to use that instead? Try downloading Konatu (http://www.masuseki.com/be/konatu/Konatu_06.zip), installing the fonts therein, starting up planetarian, entering the right click menu at the title screen, and specifying KonatuTT.

Failing that, have you attempted to run Planetarian through Microsoft AppLocale?

I'd be interested in hearing how those work for you.

And if all else fails, you can set your default ANSI codepage to "Japanese" and that *will* solve your problem.

lostotaku
2004-12-19, 15:12
lostotaku wrote:

You know, this reminds me of Mia in Majipuri, when she goes "ohayo good morning" ... :)

You... you're sharp as a tack... that was what I was thinking, exactly...

Although I'm neither a puppy-girl-woof-woof or a super-weak-oniichan. Just some Key fan.

gp32
2004-12-19, 17:40
You... you're sharp as a tack...
Well, after having translated the blasted thing ...

Stranger
2004-12-19, 23:12
hehee, ありがとござます insani-san :-)

by the way, for the QC, may I sugest a Win9x (English) user for the testing, if it works with that, then it should work with the others (although you might all end up insane.. MWHAHAHAAAAAA)

as for the demo, it seems that it should be made into an anime (espicaly with the lak of options), and the story is most certenly pridictable. Yet still I want to read it till the end.

A note on the Charecter design.... me like me like, it is very different from the other Key titles, but am by far not dispointed.

P.S. is it aliright to remove Key copyright sign, and place the Translation copyright sign instead?! (you will be supprised by what make companies angery and what they are willing to overlook).

Aldareon
2004-12-21, 15:36
From the insani get site:
there are no translations -- complete or planned -- for the retail edition. However, that is not to say that there might not be one in the future ...

None planned, eh? Is this because the retail version doesn't exist yet?

Soulfang
2004-12-21, 15:51
From the insani get site:
there are no translations -- complete or planned -- for the retail edition. However, that is not to say that there might not be one in the future ...

None planned, eh? Is this because the retail version doesn't exist yet?
Nope, the retail version's out.

Haeleth
2004-12-21, 15:51
It exists (I have a copy), it's just not being sold at the moment. It's not really possible to predict how easy a translation will be till we know what changes they're making during the suspension of sales. So there's not much point laying firm plans to translate the rest yet...

emperor
2004-12-22, 03:55
hehee, ありがとござます insani-san :-)

P.S. is it aliright to remove Key copyright sign, and place the Translation copyright sign instead?! (you will be supprised by what make companies angery and what they are willing to overlook).
Well not considering the fact of your rather poor Japanese skills, which you might actually try to hide by using hiragana since even other people would notice if you wrote arigato gozamasu in roumaji that it would be wrong, just as a sidenote it's ありがとうございます.
Now to the main point, your question if it was okay to replace the copyright logo. Actually I guess I know what you mean, probably the insani logo after the key logo. Actually nothing was replaced, just one thing added. Also this logo doesn't stand for copyright. Still if the thing itself is legal is another question, after all copyrighted code was messed with, which is against the rule of no reverse engineering along with some others. But it can't be helped, can it? After all if key does request removal it will be removed, so I guess it should be just fine.

lostotaku
2004-12-22, 08:13
Can't blame him for trying. I think I'll give it a shot, too:

かのん

Hoho! What could that possibly say? What all-important planetarian info are you missing out on? I bet you non-Japanese speakers are just killing yourselves with wonder. For indeed, you guessed it, within my message is hidden the secret of life itself! If only you could read that message, you would know how to make your own endlessly chattering broken robot! Too bad, eh?

Well, to be quite honest with you... I don't think Key's going to come crash our translation party. Yeah, I know they're pretty uptight about copyright stuff, and they apparently ruined some peoples music video funtimes, but keep in mind all that was over in Japan. I have a notion that they don't really care what goes on outside of the land of the rising sun, because Key games aren't released anywhere else. As long as you're pretty careful they aren't going to jump you, and that's assuming they have any idea these translation projects are even going on. It's certainly not like anyone's blatantly violating copyright law or supporting piracy.

Misu
2004-12-22, 09:20
Yeah... but the same could have been said about fansubs, and look at Media Factory's crackdown....

Slipgate
2004-12-22, 11:30
Distributing a patch for someone who owns the game and the patch doesn't actually contain any copyrighted game stuff is a mite different from a fansub. A fansub isn't illegit because of the subs on it... its because of the rest of the video that's going along with the sub :) is their entire product kit and caboodle transmitted for free electronically.

Something like a script/transcript to follow while watching, or vobsubs (in the example Haeleth once gave re: watching the series legitimately on DVD rather than the fansubs), doesn't hit the exact same legal area or intensity. Sure, if a company really wanted to be crappy about it they'd be like "Hey you shouldn't go transmit a copy of our script/what's being said" but I never see that happen with anime or games.

I remember back when patches were actually distributed so that games (actually any software) could be upgraded or modified without actually having anything of the game be out there for free, so that companies themselves didn't give their product away and other people weren't doing anything wrong.

And to join the "lets put things into Japanese to mystify the others" train:

名雪 の かみ は あおい です。
(Nayuki's hair is blue... (I didn't want to be too evil))

Slipgate

Misu
2004-12-22, 13:41
True, but isnt is also technically illegal to reverse-engineer a game to extract information out of it? I also remember somewhere saying that Type-Moon specifically states on its website that it is illegal to reproduce their script in any way shape and/or form. Plus, in the case of Planetarian, theres the issue of decoding on the fly to get past the encryption ment to prevent piracy, theres probably something illegal in doing that, especially if it can be used not to pay for Planetarian (I'm not saying haeleth or insani would do that, but its theoretical that their translation patch with a little tweaking by others could do so.)

And my pathetic shot at earth shatteringly important Japanese!
みすずはとてもかわいいです。
(dont know the name in Kanji >.<)

lostotaku
2004-12-22, 18:47
So pretty. We all love Misuzu! But that has nothing to do with anything. Misu... are you sure it's okay to share such important information with so many people?! If word of that gets out... we could all be doomed! It's bad enough that Slipgate has revealed that Nayuki's hair is blue... I had almost convinced the world that it was purple.

Well, yeah... I guess there's no way around the risk. But if Key comes to shut this down, I shall stand on the battlefield to be devoured by hungry wolves! Or something. I think the truth is that once the game becomes available, many people WILL try to get it for free, and that could easily become associated with the well-intentioned project if any mistakes in copyright-law violations are made. Be strong, be courageous, and be careful!

And now it is time for... Lucky Strike!

わたし わ かみお みすず! あなた わ?

Look at that long... thing. What could it say? Yes, you guessed it... I have revealed the secret of the earth to you all in Japanese! Yes, that's right... with that seemingly small looking bit of information, you can conquer the world and take Kamio Misuzu for your bride*!

*some restrictions may apply. please do not attempt if you are neither a: a protagonist of a hentai game and b: one who posseses "the gift." lostotaku is not responsible for any damage incurred within the process of attempting to take over the world.

Misu
2004-12-22, 19:12
ロストオタクはかみおみすずですか?うそだよ!あたしはかみおみすずです!
Okay... so this is completely off topic, but I couldnt help myself ^^.

Oh, lostotaku
わたし わ かみお みすず! あなた わ?
your wa particles should be written with the hiragana ha, since it is being used as a particle

zalas
2004-12-22, 19:41
おまえらは偽者だぜぇ でも…がおと言ったら… 
As for reverse engineering, I think it's only illegal in the US if it is circumventing copy protection because of the DMCA? Distributing translations has been illegal for a while, but generally companies don't mind if it encourages sales.

Slipgate
2004-12-23, 06:02
Blah... if we're getting into the reverse-engineering debate, then yeah... but I mean, one has to wonder how far fair use can extend. Anyway, I think the legal can go too far in that if you look hard enough the straightest-arrow person is infringing on something.

Don't feel bad Misu, I forgot which kanji was the aoi kanji and did it in hiragana.

lostotaku: Joke on the purple, or is that how you view it? Seriously inquiring. Because I can understand if one thinks that, I just think it only shows up as purple under bizarre lighting situations that blue hair would show up as purple under (similarly, Misato of Evangelion has purple hair but in some lighting it can look blue, like the cell phone hallway conversation in End of Evangelion).

If a Planeterian patch could unlock the game for piracy, is it possible to encrypt the patch or re-encrypt the game afterward? If the patch is encrypted or the game is re-encrypted, depending on what the situation calls for, Haeleth could disavow any relation to any such project... if it keeps or redoes the encryption in some way it is at least as protective of not encouraging others to piracy as the original game was and it might be itself targeted for modifying the game but couldn't be said to encourage others to copy the game.

If lostotaku is Kamio Misuzu we might get some proposals going here. (Whisks him/her away) Start your bidding folks! I'll give her as bride to the winning bidder!

Some more:

ゆういち: そろそろ 行こう か?
な雪: ね、 わたし の 名前!
ゆういち: 行くぞ、名雪。
な雪: ん!

Oh my, what might that be?

Slipgate

Soulfang
2004-12-23, 06:43
There are patches out there on certain P2P networks that remove the protection that's on the game, not requiring you to buy it. It's actually really simple, and that's most likely the reason why Kinetic Novel stopped sales -- in order to beef up security on their current games, as well as for their new ones to where the same method couldn't be used anymore.

If anyone is wondering though, the game's files are still encrypted and decrypted on-the-fly, though. The purchasing of the game has nothing to do with that.

Stranger
2004-12-23, 07:37
talk about misunderstanding... I seem to have started a depate by accedent... what I was referering to was the copyright "sign" (when you run the "Start.exe" in the patch you get "Translaton (c) 2004 insani"... that what I was refereing too... the sign). (altough... now that I think about it... is shouldn't matter, after all the image contain the key log)

as for the translation itself, I believe that these translation project have helped sales by adding a new market for those games. And as stated earlier, all those patchs require that you already have the game with you. And if companies can NOT stop pirecy... how the heck is a translater sposed to do it?!

What I am sure of is this.... you want to see the next release by key?!!!!!... they buy thier current release, otherwise the company goes down and YOU WILL HAVE NO GAMES TO PLAY (well, no more 'key' style games). (although I view the noCD or noDVD patchs differently, I always want the drive free, and I do hate haveing to go look for the CD just to play)

P.S. empreror ども ありがと、 わたし は いま が にほんご へて です よ けど、 ならう の です よ (by the way... how many of you is actualy supprised that I made a spelling mistake?! MWHAHAAAAAA)

lostotaku
2004-12-23, 08:18
ロストオタクはかみおみすずですか?うそだよ!あたしはかみおみすずです!
にははは! わたし は かみお みすず! です!

That last one I just said is probably really fuzzing the line between "barely understandable" and "completely off the mark," but it won't stop me from trying!

Oh, lostotaku
Quote:
わたし わ かみお みすず! あなた わ?

your wa particles should be written with the hiragana ha, since it is being used as a particle
*nods* Arigatou, I'll right that down in my heart diary.

lostotaku: Joke on the purple, or is that how you view it? Seriously inquiring. Because I can understand if one thinks that, I just think it only shows up as purple under bizarre lighting situations that blue hair would show up as purple under (similarly, Misato of Evangelion has purple hair but in some lighting it can look blue, like the cell phone hallway conversation in End of Evangelion).
Haha... I actually really didn't know for sure for a while, but I went with blue. It's certainly more blue than purple.
If lostotaku is Kamio Misuzu we might get some proposals going here. (Whisks him/her away) Start your bidding folks! I'll give her as bride to the winning bidder!
Ano... you see, the truth is... eto... the hidden secret to life in my message was... anoetoanoetoanoeto... We're all Kamio Misuzu! Yes! Okay, I'm going over here.
ゆういち: そろそろ 行こう か?
な雪: ね、 わたし の 名前!
ゆういち: 行くぞ、名雪。
な雪: ん!

My name is Kamio Misuzu. Don't forget it!
There are patches out there on certain P2P networks that remove the protection that's on the game, not requiring you to buy it. It's actually really simple, and that's most likely the reason why Kinetic Novel stopped sales -- in order to beef up security on their current games, as well as for their new ones to where the same method couldn't be used anymore.
I think I know what you're talking about. I'm fairly sure that it is indeed the reason, a shame but that's how it is.
as for the translation itself, I believe that these translation project have helped sales by adding a new market for those games. And as stated earlier, all those patchs require that you already have the game with you. And if companies can NOT stop pirecy... how the heck is a translater sposed to do it?!
I agree, but.... does Key?

Slipgate
2004-12-23, 11:14
Soulfang: I believe we're finding issues with the process, or rather what Key will say about the process. Not with the act.

Stranger: I'm fairly certain we aren't on that argument anymore, its more of a playful thread now.

Otherwise yeah, will "Key" see it that way. Anyway, lostotaku, we gotta have more fun with this. One cute がお (Gao) out of Kamio Misuzu here, 5 bucks up front, any takers?

Slipgate

Haeleth
2004-12-23, 14:39
Wow, it took a long time for a legal war to break out here... I was expecting this to happen much sooner. :p

To clear up any remaining confusion, the difference between translating Key games and translating Media Factory anime is nothing to do with patches; translation patches are no more legal than fansubs, and they do not appear to encourage piracy significantly less (I suspect that the people who use patches with legal copies of games are the same people who buy legitimate anime DVDs).

The difference is entirely economical. There is currently no market for Key's works in America, whereas most Media Factory titles are sold into the US market; therefore fansubs hurt Media Factory directly, while translating Key's games does not harm an existing market, only a potential one. Note that harm is still done; it may be hard to quantify, but it exists, in that there will be less chance that a legitimate operation will license that title in future. The argument that fan translations help companies by introducing their works to new markets only really holds water for high-volume producers who can sell new titles to fans who enjoyed illegal translations of old titles. Key do not produce titles in sufficient volume for this to apply.

Interestingly enough, the legal situation is almost entirely the opposite of what many people seem to be assuming. Reverse-engineering, modifying, and distributing patches to Key's code is, to the best of my knowledge, quite legal (but IANAL). The part which is clearly illegal is the translation, the distribution of which violates international copyright law. Fortunately it's an area of the law which is still only very rarely invoked by Japanese publishers, and non-commercial complaints are often settled without legal action if the infringer simply withdraws the infringing work. (This is why both I and insani state prominently that we will do just that if a copyright holder wants us to.)

If a Planeterian patch could unlock the game for piracy, is it possible to encrypt the patch or re-encrypt the game afterward?
Broadly speaking, no. I certainly have not broken the encryption. My proof-of-concept that may or may not one day go on to become a full patch works by using a trivial back-door the programmers apparently left in for debugging purposes to trick the game into loading unencrypted code instead of the encrypted data.

This approach would not be useful to a cracker as such, but it does involve removing the protection on possibly the most valuable asset locked up in the game - the novel itself - and therefore probably violates laws such as DMCA, EUCD, etc., in addition to the copyright issues involved in distributing the code and text in the first place.

Slipgate
2004-12-23, 15:29
I see. However, I should note that it could go with any odd mix of our many interpretations until such time as there's more legal precedent here... we can wade through which laws we invoke in any which ways until a case establishes a particular one that people then start contesting or "build" from as precedent. You can bring up certain ways in which the DMCA may affect you or may leave you alone, and other people might bring up others, until the actual legal establishment tries to apply all of these many laws that are dealing with this situation.

However, I never really thought this thread was a legal battle... though it was a while ago when I was still just a lurker without having registered yet that I read through much of the start of the thread, the recent stuff seems to be more amusement at typing in Japanese and just hashing out what we know of the legal concepts. I thought we were just considering possibilities we might get smacked down with.

Re: your translation - in patch form, does it really necessary contain your translation or just the modifying code (add two to this byte, remove two from that byte) that turns the existing text into your translation's text? I'm wondering how much like an IPS (to use a ROM patching concept here) this patch is... or, to keep you out of legal trouble, could be distributed as if it isn't already like in concept (if it is instead literally containing and imposing your translation text... then maybe, not using IPS itself necessarily, but changing the modus operandi of the patching process perhaps).

Slipgate

ChocoEd
2004-12-23, 16:02
talk about misunderstanding... I seem to have started a debate by accident... what I was referring to was the copyright "sign" (when you run the "Start.exe" in the patch you get "Translation (c) 2004 insani"... that's what I was referring too...

We didn't remove any Key copyright notice there: the original demo had an extra "uninstall" button instead. Since we were using the NSIS uninstaller, the button was superfluous, and we ended up with a little extra window real estate in the Start program after disabling it, hence the new translation byline.

As a matter of principle, we absolutely wouldn't remove any original copyright notices or credits in our adaptations... the Japanese creators put in a hundred times the effort we did, after all, and deserve all the kudos we can send their way.

gp32
2004-12-24, 05:52
It is now possible to buy Planetarian again.

adun50
2004-12-24, 07:53
It is now possible to buy Planetarian again.

ah you beat me to it. oh wells. well even if its available to buy again, I still wouldn't be able to read the page o know what the form is saying.

woo, just realised I passed my 100th post

lostotaku
2004-12-24, 15:08
Anyway, lostotaku, we gotta have more fun with this. One cute がお (Gao) out of Kamio Misuzu here, 5 bucks up front, any takers?

がお~ ...can we split the profits?

There is currently no market for Key's works in America, whereas most Media Factory titles are sold into the US market; therefore fansubs hurt Media Factory directly, while translating Key's games does not harm an existing market, only a potential one.

Which is one of the few instances that the consumer gap for renai games on the other side of the globe becomes a blessing. It doesn't look like Key is planning to undergo worldwide expansion, so I doubt they hold a terrible amount of interest in what goes on outside their homeland.

If every post you made got me a level up in romancing kanon, I would almost be able to beat this game.

Slipgate
2004-12-24, 16:25
Anyway, lostotaku, we gotta have more fun with this. One cute がお (Gao) out of Kamio Misuzu here, 5 bucks up front, any takers?

がお~ ...can we split the profits?

Sure but I think you did it before there was a taker. If you give the product before you get the money, they'll run with it :). Ah well, any profits, sure... 50/50? :)

Eheh, this is a bit of silliness. But fun!

There is currently no market for Key's works in America, whereas most Media Factory titles are sold into the US market; therefore fansubs hurt Media Factory directly, while translating Key's games does not harm an existing market, only a potential one.

Which is one of the few instances that the consumer gap for renai games on the other side of the globe becomes a blessing. It doesn't look like Key is planning to undergo worldwide expansion, so I doubt they hold a terrible amount of interest in what goes on outside their homeland.

I was hearing from a friend that there's a California-based publisher that puts some datesims out in English published form from Japan... so it might hurt chances such as that. However, those are more of the "hard" and "usual" type of datesim than renai probably. Season of the Sakura type stuff. (Just throwing a name out that he mentioned to me, maybe that wasn't published by them though)

If every post you made got me a level up in romancing kanon, I would almost be able to beat this game.

I just saw Nayuki's ending for Kanon a few days ago. Haven't sat down to try another angle on it yet. Is there a particular problem you're having, or just stopped up by where Haeleth's translation stops? (I am too sort of, but I knew enough Japanese that with voicepatch included I muddled through getting some of what was said and done and managed to finish)

Slipgate

lostotaku
2004-12-24, 17:31
I was hearing from a friend that there's a California-based publisher that puts some datesims out in English published form from Japan... so it might hurt chances such as that. However, those are more of the "hard" and "usual" type of datesim than renai probably. Season of the Sakura type stuff. (Just throwing a name out that he mentioned to me, maybe that wasn't published by them though)

While the market is slowly expanding, it'll be a long time before completely non-h kinetic novels like Planetarian go stateside. If it's not in the current mainstream or sexual in nature, products don't sell in America. Gao... hey, you reading this post. That'll be five dollars.

lostotaku wrote:
Quote:

I just saw Nayuki's ending for Kanon a few days ago. Haven't sat down to try another angle on it yet. Is there a particular problem you're having, or just stopped up by where Haeleth's translation stops? (I am too sort of, but I knew enough Japanese that with voicepatch included I muddled through getting some of what was said and done and managed to finish)

Actually, Romancing Kanon is an RPG doujin game based upon Kanon and Romancing Saga, having nothing to do with Key. Thanks for the offer though ^_^. I sort of mentioned it as an offhand comment because I keep getting crushed by Ishibashi. Or at least I think that's Ishibashi.

Slipgate
2004-12-24, 18:22
While the market is slowly expanding, it'll be a long time before completely non-h kinetic novels like Planetarian go stateside. If it's not in the current mainstream or sexual in nature, products don't sell in America. Gao... hey, you reading this post. That'll be five dollars.

Ahh, I see.

And hey, you shouldn't charge me, just like Matt Greenfield shouldn't have the FBI on him for watching screeners of ADV licensed shows in his office :). Or at the least, you should only charge me 2.50 :).

Actually, Romancing Kanon is an RPG doujin game based upon Kanon and Romancing Saga, having nothing to do with Key. Thanks for the offer though ^_^. I sort of mentioned it as an offhand comment because I keep getting crushed by Ishibashi. Or at least I think that's Ishibashi.

Oh okay. Nemmind :).

Slipgate

Nandemonai
2004-12-25, 15:32
There are two companies putting out games in English right now; there's a third putting out DVD-player-only versions of games with the adult scenes taken out, but I don't really count them.

There's Peach Princess and G-Collections. I don't think either of them have done anything that could be classified as true renai; but then I don't even know how one defines renai, and so cannot comment.

GC has put out some good games but most of it is fare along the lines of "Oh, my. It's so HOT in here. Are you HOT? Because I'm REALLY HOT. I think you'll just have to take all my clothes off." Crescendo and Kana are both good, the Angel Smile games are good, and that's about it in terms of real storyline.

Peach Princess is just now putting out Little My Maid (so we'll see about that one soon enough) and they have a few others. Snow Drop is really the closest to renai that I know of, but they have a few other good games. I hang out on their board over there (my profile lies; they had a board crash and I had like 2500 posts when that happened ¬_¬)

As far as I know, with each new game they put out their sales do better and better ... but PeaPri's #1 title has always been XChange >_<

Personally I think eventually we'll see more plot-heavy titles, because the plot fans are more likely to be genre fans over the long term as opposed to the guys who are just interested in the h-scenes. But only time will tell.

lostotaku
2004-12-25, 21:57
As far as I know, with each new game they put out their sales do better and better ... but PeaPri's #1 title has always been XChange >_<

It is very telling.

I have heard tell theat a group called Hirameki recently released two anime-play DVD's (as they apparently call them) that are sort of renai-ish... although I've hardly heard anything about it.

gp32
2004-12-25, 21:58
http://planetarian.insani.org/get.html

Our step-by-step guide for how to purchase planetarian is now done and online.

Misu
2004-12-25, 22:02
I have heard tell theat a group called Hirameki recently released two anime-play DVD's (as they apparently call them) that are sort of renai-ish... although I've hardly heard anything about it.

Hirameki International has actually released 4 games under the AnimePLAY label.
Those are:
Phantom of Inferno
Tiny Society of Witches (or something like that, i forgot the name >>;;)
Amusement Park
Day of Love

They have a fifth title in the works too, but once again, I forgot the title again XD

Hikari Tsukishiro
2004-12-25, 23:08
Tea Society of a Witch, actually.
Although in translation got messed up in the title.

lostotaku
2004-12-27, 13:00
Here's the site: http://www.hirameki-int.com/

I went to go find out a little about it... I've been told that a title they did called "Hourglass of Summer" was fairly solid, and it looks interesting.

Nandemonai
2004-12-27, 15:57
Here's the site: http://www.hirameki-int.com/

I went to go find out a little about it... I've been told that a title they did called "Hourglass of Summer" was fairly solid, and it looks interesting.

Some of their games look interesting, but I'm worried that they were edited badly - and also that the nature of a DVD-player format negatively impacts the experience; so I approach their products cautiously.

AzureLight
2005-01-01, 07:12
I was really disappointed that Hirameki went all-ages. Previously it planned some H-games that are quite excellent (Sweet Legacy and an unedited Natsuiro no Sunadokei/The Hourglass of Summer, just to name a few). Then they thought it wouldn't be so feasible. >_<

Slipgate
2005-01-01, 08:03
What about using the parental protection for DVDs on adult DVD games? Either they have to have permission or be old enough, and if they've been given the codes it's just as easy for them to have an H game on the PC and is the parent's fault.

Slipgate

Nandemonai
2005-01-01, 08:13
Actually, I believe I heard that Hourglass of Summer was originally not adult, and then they went and added some h-scenes, and they actually got criticized for adding them because they didn't really belong.

Then again, I haven't played the game...

AzureLight
2005-01-02, 00:57
Actually, I believe I heard that Hourglass of Summer was originally not adult, and then they went and added some h-scenes, and they actually got criticized for adding them because they didn't really belong.
You are correct in every sense. Natsuna was better off without H-scenes. The console version even have the male voice.

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-05, 06:17
hi guys long time no see. well i am trying to play this demo and for some reason it still freezes. i installed that Japanese english pack you guys gave and i am not sure how to install that text .rar you guys gave me. but even when i go to font options in the right click menu it starts to not respond again. so i am a little lost. i run XP btw.

Stranger
2005-01-05, 06:37
wow... talk about a blast from the past... welcome back, I actuly thought that something might have happent to you.

any way, do you have Japanese support installed on you computer?! (ie. can you visit Japanese websites, better yet, in the Front Page, do you see Haeleth's new year message in Japanese).

If not, then install the Japanese support. Or try it with AppLocale. ( http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx )

As a side note, I haven't been able to play the demo using Windows2k English (the MS patch seem to be targeted at Office XP, and I don't have that). So I was foreced to play it using WindowsXP Jap. Although, that extra font seem to allow me to play the demo in Windows 2K... but the font is soooo ugly :(

To install that font, Just drag and drop the font file into "c:\< WINDOWS_HOME >\FONTS" and that will install it for you... I hope.

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-05, 06:44
i see it in Kanji if that is what you mean. i do not see a bunch of Question marks and things.

Haeleth
2005-01-05, 10:49
First, welcome back! Second, where is it freezing? Finally, does it still freeze if you're running in windowed mode (just alt+enter before the freezing point)?

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-05, 11:34
First, thanks for the welcome. Second it freezes right after the voiice speaks iand there is a picture of a traffic light and car sounds all around. also i do not know if it is important but no text box appears either. when i click after the voice speaks my cursor turns into an hourglass and the music will fade away but the traffic sounds stay. i have also tried it windowed and full screen. and also i have tried to access the font menu on the title screwen but it freezes than as well. so i am guessing it is a font problem but i have no trouble with Kanon and i did every single suggestion written in this forum. so i am a little stumped. lol

Haeleth
2005-01-05, 14:19
It does sound like a font issue - strange though that is (if you can see Japanese text, you should have an appropriate font installed already). Try installing a different font - something like Moon (here (http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/data/writing/se292510.html), click on ダウンロード under the blue bar) may work, or some other random fonts (there's an English page devoted to them here (http://www.travelphrases.info/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html) which may be helpful).

Failing that, try setting Japanese to be the language to use for non-Unicode applications, which should fix things (at the cost of probably breaking other programs you use...)

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-05, 16:40
how do i set for non-unicode applications. and for some reason i cannot even access the font menu in game to change it. so giving me new fonts is not helping. lol

gp32
2005-01-05, 19:12
how do i set for non-unicode applications. and for some reason i cannot even access the font menu in game to change it. so giving me new fonts is not helping. lol
http://www.insani.org/faq.html#4

follow the instructions that go "default ANSI codepage set to Japanese"

RyokoTenchi
2005-01-06, 00:30
ok all fixed. i acctually prefer my computer running in this non-unicode mode. i can read japanese better now.

Donut
2005-01-17, 21:42
Just played the demo. Was it just me or do I get the feeling I really wanna kill that annoying robot ? Well i'll not judge the game with just a demo, but I think it became kinda annoying.

zalas
2005-01-18, 01:24
Yes, you don't know whether to smack her or caress her ribbons <_<

Haeleth
2005-01-18, 05:15
http://www.geocities.jp/circle_reservoirdogs/comic/comic021_2.jpg

You may appreciate the final frame. (Please don't ask me for a translation, the language is rather subtle.)

adun50
2005-01-18, 06:07
do alot of you guys find her annoying? i find her rather cute that way. it sorta adds realism to the fact that she is a robot after all and cannot comprehend particular situations

AstCd2
2005-01-18, 06:24
Wait until you see the whole game before you decide, guys. They're going somewhere with all of this =P

gp32
2005-01-18, 06:52
Wait until you see the whole game before you decide, guys. They're going somewhere with all of this =P
Versa est in luctum cithara mea,
et organum meum in vocem flentium.

Haeleth
2005-01-18, 07:51
Num tam aspera quam putes non est.

gp32
2005-01-18, 08:01
Num tam aspera quam putes non est.
Yes! The world needs a Latin translation of planetarian!

That aside, I saw an advertisement for a Sony digital camera earlier today; one the features most prominently displayed in that ad was the fact that the camera was equipped with a Carl Zeiss lens. Of course, this caused me to laugh uncontrollably ...

Aldareon
2005-01-28, 00:40
ok all fixed. i acctually prefer my computer running in this non-unicode mode. i can read japanese better now.
Hey, long time no see! I've been gone (from the forum) for like .. a month now and MAN! Sooo much stuff to spaed reed and I'm only halfway done. Anyhow, just curious - do you get the Yen sign instead of a slash when using the command prompt? I haven't had much time to play around with my system yet, but one of my XP machines are perfectly fine and the other's acting funny. Just wondering ..

zalas
2005-01-28, 01:00
By default, you get the yen sign for the command prompt. However, there's some registry hack you can do to change the font for the console, which gets you the backslashes back. You can do it at least for the explorer windows and dialog boxes.

Slipgate
2005-01-28, 06:36
See, in my case, the other day I was playing around with switching to get Clannad to work (AppLocale wasn't convincing for it) and I noticed the yen symbols (which I'd noticed on Japanese installs before like Air) - but for me the yen symbols weren't global, at least in explorer, I didn't look in the command prompt. Air had yen symbols, but for example Program Files still had backslashes. I assumed that the programs actually made *using* yen symbols (i.e. Japanese software) would start showing the yen symbols instead of the (I presume) usual behavior of having them suppressed and displayed as slashes.

But a friend of mine who had to do this (on Windows 2000) for another game had everything change to yen symbols, and here you guys are talking about everything changing to yen symbols for all of your directories. So I guess I'm in some sort of wierd exception?

Slipgate

Haeleth
2005-01-28, 08:29
It's entirely font-dependent. For silly historical reasons, most Japanese fonts put a yen symbol where the backslash normally goes. So if your system font is set to a Japanese one, like MS UI Gothic, you get yen signs everywhere. If it's set to a non-Japanese one, like MS Sans, you don't.

Exactly which font Windows tries to use by default depends on too many things to enumerate here, but you can usually change it in the Display control panel. The command prompt uses different settings that can sometimes be controlled to a limited extent by switching codepages, but frankly you should be using a real shell in Cygwin's rxvt for any command-line stuff, so it's a bit academic. ;)

AzureLight
2005-01-29, 04:56
I have the yen symbol all over, even in MSN and the DOS prompt, but I've gotten used to it...