PDA

View Full Version : Planetarian ~ Chiisa na Hoshi no Yume ~

AstCd2
2004-10-19, 01:19
キタ━━━━━━━━ッ!!

Key's new work can be found here:
http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/product/planetarian/index.htm

No, it's not a new Renai game, nor is it a fan disc as some have speculated.

It's a "Kinetic Novel", which is pretty much a digital novel with pictures and music (it won't have any choices). I guess this is what the staff diary meant when it said the next thing would be on a smaller scale.

A few facts for those interested:

- It's already been completed.
- It's only 200MB
- It comes out 6/12 (Unless you use YahooBB, in which case it's 26/11 - You'll be able to download it directly from them)
- It's all ages

Related:
http://www.kineticnovel.jp/
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/gsnews/0410/19/news05.html

2004-10-19, 02:10
......... Not to mention much cheaper than any of Key's other works.

But why call it a "kinetic novel", when theres so much LESS action than a "visual novel"?

Korgath
2004-10-19, 02:52
It seems to be sold for 1050 yen, so that's pretty cheap... but I also read that it lasts for about 3 to 5 hours.

Anyway, I find this good news, but I can't help but be a little skeptical, mostly because the setting is awfully familiar. Pure robot maid, depressing cyberpunk future, blahblah. But, we are talking about Key here, so it should be interesting at the very least.

Nanatuha
2004-10-19, 03:36
Nice information! It's the hidden-ball.

Scenarist isn't Maeda-san (Kanon & Air scenarist)

Yuichi Suzumoto. According to reference, He is a novelist. also he written a part of Air scenario. bit surprising.

Nanatuha
2004-10-19, 03:51
Oh,Sorry. he also related to CLANNAD scenario too. I didn't knew he because never play CLANNAD yet.

AstCd2
2004-10-19, 03:57
Scenarist isn't Maeda-san (Kanon & Air scenarist)

Yuichi Suzumoto. According to reference, He is a novelist. also he written a part of Air scenario. bit surprising.

Suzumoto Yuichi is also said to have done Summer, the Heian part of Kano, and Kotomi. I would have actually preferred Maeda Jun, but he's definitely a better choice than Unryuuji Kai.

I can't help but be a little skeptical, mostly because the setting is awfully familiar. Pure robot maid, depressing cyberpunk future, blahblah. But, we are talking about Key here, so it should be interesting at the very least.

Agreed. Key can't keep telling school stories forever, but an apocalyptic future dominated by robots is hardly going to win it any originality awards.

What I'm concerned about is the evident lack of the "everyday setting with a surreal touch" style of storytelling that won the company so many fans. Instead, it seems like they're aiming for the opposite; a somewhat familiar story within an unreal setting. I suppose we'll see how it turns out soon enough.

Haeleth
2004-10-19, 04:12
If Suzumoto wrote Summer and Kotomi's scenario, he's all right by me, as those are two of my favourite bits of Key's works. And the lack of interaction won't necessarily be a problem either (going by Summer again).

For the story, really, have any of Key's works had startlingly original settings yet? I'd be surprised if they can't pull off in a cliched sci-fi setting what they've proven they can do in a cliched school-story setting, after all...

まあ、一千円なら並でもいいでしょう。 私、Keyさんに信じるから、絶対に買いますよ。

Assuming they take foreign credit cards, of course... X_x

AstCd2
2004-10-19, 04:46
Two minor updates:

1. Key seems to have put out a couple of wallpapers for Planetarium already (as well as an extra one for Clannad), one of which provides a larger and clearer picture of Yumemi.

http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/gallery/index.htm

Don't be surprised if their servers are rather slow, though, as their traffic will undoubtedly be through the roof today.

2. Sadly, it seems Key won't be doing #2 or #3 in the Kinetic Novel series.

Moon Phase has the studios and titles for them, as well as a whole bunch of news site links (none of which seem to have anything but hype).
http://www.moonphase.cc/

Stranger
2004-10-19, 05:28
any one think it is something about a "Rebot with fellings?!"... me think Chobits already.

any way, good to see that key have appended the 640x480 graphics polisy :-)

by the way 200MB is the HDD requirment, does it say anywhere if you will still need the CD (hopfully a DVD (a man can dream) )

for all it worth, even if it is half of Suika I will still go for it

AstCd2
2004-10-19, 06:01
by the way 200MB is the HDD requirment, does it say anywhere if you will still need the CD (hopfully a DVD (a man can dream) )

There won't actually be a CD or DVD. It'll only be available through downloading (for now).

Korgath
2004-10-19, 13:47
Found some decent screenshot sizes here (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041019/knovel.htm) (bottom of the page) if anyone's interested. Other than that they mention about the same as everyone else.

Keisuke
2004-10-19, 16:40
the renewed Key homepage looks.... SO DIFFERENT!!

Hm it can be just me, but it looks like it's Goto P who did the art work for Planetarian...

AstCd2
2004-10-19, 18:23
Koma E-ji (Maburaho, Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu) will be doing the art. A pretty good choice IMO, give his talent with mecha design.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/co2a/

adun50
2004-10-20, 06:18
hhmm, this seems interesting. although its not a renai game, I'm sure you'll get your diehard Key fans going through this no matter what. i got the wallpapers and they look so luch on my screen right now

K
2004-10-20, 19:12
So it's basically this:

NOVEL :: CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE BOOK
PLANETARIAN :: OTHER KEY STUFF/RENAI GAMES

Yes?

AstCd2
2004-10-21, 02:45
So it's basically this:

NOVEL :: CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE BOOK
PLANETARIAN :: OTHER KEY STUFF/RENAI GAMES

Yes?

In the sense that there won't be any choices? Pretty much.

Nanatuha
2004-10-21, 04:28
> PLANETARIAN :: OTHER KEY STUFF/RENAI GAMES

Right. LANETARIAN is a Key's new work.
I'm perplex when someone asked me "Is this a really GAME?", because PLANETARIAN don't have choices and story branch. but I expect It's taste is just renai games. probably.

> NOVEL :: CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE BOOK

Let me see... Is ADVENTURE BOOK the thing of a novel with a choices, isn't it?
For example "If you wish go ahead then Go to paragraph 16, or instead search around then go to paragraph 215" etc. Ah. I like this type storys too, especially J.H.Brennan and Fighting Fantasy series. ^o^

I never read Suzumoto-san's novels. but I can say NO certainty. ADVENTURE BOOK (Japanese sey GAME BOOKS) is almost extincted in Japan nowadays. It's explosively trended 15 years before, then quickly disappeared.

According to book review, he's most famous novel is a mystery story themed old PC communications service.

Haeleth
2004-10-21, 09:59
念のために言っとくが、Kさんのメッセージでは、「A :: B」は「Bに対するAの関係」という意味です。 つまり、「Planetarianと普通なゲームの関係は、ゲームブックと小説の関係と同じです」ということです。

zalas
2004-10-21, 16:08
I never thought I'd see the explanation of 'analogy' in Japanese XD

Nanatuha
2004-10-21, 16:57
*repent!!*

Always always always digression I'm sorry. X(

I'll refrain post until I understand essential matters. ... else I guess I possibly sey "sorry" in any every topix.^^;

Besides. If stupid Japanese representative gibber too much more, Maybe It would cause problems for other steady Japanese. ^^;

Haeleth
2004-10-22, 03:42
あ、違いますよ! 非難するつもりは全然ありませんでした。 Kさんのメッセージが勘違いされても、ナナツハさんが書いたのはとっても面白いですから、止まないで下さい!

Stranger
2004-10-22, 04:45
Nanatuha-san if people had to worrie because of small mistakes, I would have been kicked out of here along time ago because of my spelling :-)

just, don't worry and be happy.

AstCd2
2004-10-22, 05:32
ナナツハさん、私もよく日本語が間違ってるので、そんな些細なことは全然気にしなくていいんですよ。

ていうか、よく日本語が間違ってるのは自分が翻訳者として言うべきことではないでしょうか (w

Nanatuha
2004-10-22, 23:21
書き込まないとか言いつつも…

フォローありがとうございます。そう言って下さると助かります。

国内の友人にカンマを使った質問してみたら、
誰も質問の意図がわかりませんでした。
あの質問形式って、そちらでは一般的な表現なんですよね?

日本にいると、大体周りのみんな同じような教育受けてるんで
記号の意味の取り違いとかほとんど無いんですよ。
良くも悪くも閉じた文化の中にいるから、
他の人と土壌が違うかも、という意識が無いんです。

気を悪くしたらごめんなさい。ホントに。

いやあ、意味が分かった瞬間
自分のあさってな解答に腹を抱えて笑い転げました。
ああもう、何を語っているのやら(笑)

はーずかしいー。

Although I said I'll refrain ...

Thanks everyone for your helping. I feel little easy.

Any domestic friends don't know question form with ":" , when I asked they.
That question form is regular in West, isn't it?

There is almost no mistake about symbols meaning in Japan. because of us had similar education. We don't need conscious that there is another culture as far as while communicate fellows. for also well also bad.

I apologize if you feel bother. sincerely.

And I very laughed my wrong answer when I understand truth question.
Oh my, What did I explain desperately? lol

SO shameful.^^;

AstCd2
2004-11-21, 16:04
The demo for Planetarian is out.

A copy can be found here:
http://www.pachi.ac/~multi/download/index/planetarian.html

My impression is that Key intends it to be freely distributable, but I trust that Haeleth will remove the link if there are any problems.

My $0.02
It takes about 20 minutes to play through, but it doesn't go any further than what was given in the plot description on the product page, so it's still hard to say whether the story is going to be any good. The actual setting feels a bit hackneyed, but I can see the potential for some interesting themes when combined with Yumemi, who is (as one might expect) the highlight of the story.

The writing feels considerably different from previous Key games because of the darker tone (and the copious amounts of jargon), but there's still a hint of that classic 'abrasive main character and air-headed heroine' bantering that Key does so well.

Looks to be 'interesting', if not exactly 'great'.

Haeleth
2004-11-21, 17:06
It's legit, so no complaints from me.

More to the point... WA~I! Looks promising. It's well past my bedtime here, so I've only dipped into it, but it looks like they may be going to pull this "kinetic novel" thing off.

It's RealLive. Which means I have a script already. I'll translate it myself if I can find time, but it's under 900 lines if anyone else is feeling inspired.

What's really interesting, poking through the source code, is that all Yumemi's lines have voice playback commands attached to them, even though voice data are only provided for the first couple. Is this going to be fully voiced, then? Unexpected, to say the least. ^^

2004-11-21, 18:13
Nice...... too bad it hangs at the "traffic light" pic right at the beginning -_-

AstCd2
2004-11-21, 18:20
Guest; The only obvious solution I can think of is to change your computer to the Japanese regional setting in control panel if you haven't already done so.

Voice; it'd certainly be possible (even in a 300MB game) if Yumemi was the only voiced character. Personally, I was ecstatic to hear voice at all (however briefly). I'd love to know who her seiyuu is, if anyone knows.

Translation; God knows half the techno-jargon is beyond me, but I wouldn't mind taking a piece (the easiest one you have ^^;;) after this Thursday when the holidays start. I take it that the actual novel will utilize the same text, so it'd be a great foundation for any eventual translation project.

<span title='元ネタはもちろんクラナド'>
ひらがなみっつで、ゆめみ
呼ぶときは、ゆめみちゃん…かな(w</span>

lostotaku
2004-11-21, 18:36
It's RealLive. Which means I have a script already. I'll translate it myself if I can find time, but it's under 900 lines if anyone else is feeling inspired.

I've gotta say, you're a pretty ambitious fella. If Planetarian is as good a story as I hope it's gonna be it would make an absolutely fantastic translation project, I would think. The demo was fun, despite the fact that I had no idea what the hell was going on.

I think I'll go back to studying Japanese characters. How ever you guys learned them all, is far beyond me.

Soulfang
2004-11-21, 18:50
Sweet. Less than the average Clannad script :)

AstCd2
2004-11-21, 18:52
I've gotta say, you're a pretty ambitious fella. If Planetarian is as good a story as I hope it's gonna be it would make an absolutely fantastic translation project, I would think. The demo was fun, despite the fact that I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Let's hope Suzumoto doesn't disappoint. I've already got a few theories on what I think is going to happen, but I'm hoping he'll do one better =P

I think I'll go back to studying Japanese characters. How ever you guys learned them all, is far beyond me.

If you mean the hiragana and katakana, I found that reading words and sentences worked better than trying to remember them individually. If you mean the Kanji, I don't think anyone knows them all. That's what dictionaries are for =P

Nandemonai
2004-11-21, 20:45
I've been 'studying' Japanese for about ... well, a really long time, but it's an off/on thing. I recognize most hiragana, and that's about it ^^ but I do have a fair grasp of some elements of grammar.

Talbain
2004-11-21, 22:44
Such... incoherent.... writing.... *brain explodes*

So, another choose your own adventure book eh? Could be interesting. Of course, I typically only find the murder mystery games to be all that interesting. Clock Tower for the SNES was a lot of fun, and the first time I'd actually played a game and been scared. It was just spooky. Of course, Silent Hill was scarier. (In my humble opinion) The atmosphere of Silent Hill... Clock Tower provided one, but it wasn't nearly as weird as Silent Hill's.

adun50
2004-11-22, 00:54
well I just played the demo just then. indeed, very nice.being a beginner in reading japanese, i was blown away by most of the text. where i could only make out very little from it.

as for voices, yeah it could be possible to have voice files for just the one character. although keep in mind what the demo had was only the opening clip.

yep. tried running this through AppLocale, doesn't work. requires you to start in japanese regional settings.

screenshots to come soonish..

oh and one thing, ribbon changing colour = ~kawaii~

Stranger
2004-11-22, 03:58
trying to get the demo.. but man.. it is soo slow

any way, 300MB... including voice files... even if it is for a single charector, that would be putting a limit of the amount of graphics used (espicaly that they are using 800x600 CGs this time). oh well... it's key, so gata get it.

Korgath
2004-11-22, 11:57
Just finished the demo, and I agree that I can't really determine whether it's going to be great or not. As I said some time before, I'm not that big of a fan of this sort of setting but since it's Key we are talking about here I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, if you will.

adun50
2004-11-22, 16:10
well here are some screenshots of Planetarian

http://photobucket.com/albums/v198/adun50/Planetarian

i do like screenshot number 5 :)

Haeleth
2004-11-22, 17:34
And here's another, with the usual twist. ;)

http://haeleth.net/img/planetarian.jpg

As for the demo itself, now I've played it, I can say I'm intruiged but not overexcited. It'll be interesting to see if Suzumoto manages to escape the stifling cliches that the whole post-apocalyptic-robot-girl setting seems poised to overwhelm the plot with, but I have to say he's got his work cut out there.

Nice presentation, though - the save/load game screen is a work of art (drag-and-drop implemented in RealLive bytecode is just wow), 800x600 is a nice change for Key, and the music is as good as ever, although I'm not quite sure why they picked "What a friend I have in Jesus" for the opening. The character design's a bit disappointing, though - Yumemi is just too busy. She'll never make a good plushie. ;)

AstCd2
2004-11-22, 18:31
And here's another, with the usual twist. ;)

Looking good.

As for the demo itself, now I've played it, I can say I'm intruiged but not overexcited. It'll be interesting to see if Suzumoto manages to escape the stifling cliches that the whole post-apocalyptic-robot-girl setting seems poised to overwhelm the plot with, but I have to say he's got his work cut out there.

Given what we now know of the setting, I think it's already too late to hope for a non-cliche plot =P. Instead, the value of the story will probably lie in how Suzumoto manages to present it. Old formulas can still be entertaining if they're done well.

As overdone as whimsical post-apocalyptic stories and cheerful robot girls have been in the past (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and To Heart come to mind), there's a certain subtlety to the writing that I liked (<span title='I feel as though the tools here were just waiting for a chance to be used by you, Mr. Guest'>「こちらの道具は、お客さまに使ってもらう機会を待っているように思えるのですが」</span> ^^;).

Of course, if he's going to surprise me and come up with something groundbreakingly original, all the more power to him.

The character design's a bit disappointing, though - Yumemi is just too busy. She'll never make a good plushie. ;)

It's the ribbon, isn't it? =P
She'd make an interesting figure, though.

AstCd2
2004-11-22, 20:14
An interesting little tidbit of news someone on the Japanese boards raised:

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/0410/19/news081.html

ソフトバンクBBのDRM(デジタル著作権管理)技術を採用し、ネット決済した後に送られてくるライセンスキーを適用することで遊べるようになる仕組みとした。

"The plan is to use SoftbankBB's DRM (Digital Rights Management) technology and send a licence key that is used to unlock the game after one connects to the internet."

See also: http://www.rbbtoday.com/news/20041019/19147.html

ゲーム本体はダウンロードまたはオフラインでのメディア配布で提供、ビー・ビー・サーブで認証キーを購入してプレイ可能になる仕組みで、ライセンスはPCに関連づけられ、HDDトラブル時などの認証キー再取得等は個別対応になるとしている。

"The main part of the game will be provided through download and offline media distribution (a reference to the Key Planetarian event on the 26th, where CDs containing the demo and main game will be distributed). The plan will be that one will be able to play after purchasing an authentification key through BB Serve which links the license to the PC. In cases of HDD problems and such, reacquisitions of authentification keys will be dealt with on an individual basis."

---

Seems rather elaborate to me, but I can see now why Key might be confident about the lack of piracy. Of course, it's only a matter of time before someone hacks the licence component out and throws it up on p2p, but not before Key turns a decent profit.

It's a bit harsh to limit it to just one computer, though, and the whole online Big Brother thing really gives you the feeling that they're hanging onto you even after you've bought the damn game =P. Still, as Planetarian is closer to a movie than a game, I have the feeling that they'll get away with it.

Weave
2004-11-23, 00:47
the opening is WHAT?

zalas
2004-11-23, 01:38
the opening is WHAT?

It's all part of a secret plan of Key's to get these kinds of games more accepted in the United States, by claiming it has good Christian moral values in it. ;)

sore mo naze wakai onna nanda?

Because the game would be kinda boring if you were talking to a middle-aged guy wouldn't it? =P

AstCd2
2004-11-23, 02:04
It's all part of a secret plan of Key's to get these kinds of games more accepted in the United States, by claiming it has good Christian moral values in it. ;)

The reason for including crosses in Air's school uniforms: finally revealed!

zalas
2004-11-23, 02:41
After playing this, I dunno if I want to punch Yumemi or hug her. She's both cute and annoying at the same time ;)

Weave
2004-11-24, 03:02
aside from the.....odd opening song, how's the music looking? err, hearing?

Nandemonai
2004-11-24, 21:38
As overdone as whimsical post-apocalyptic stories and cheerful robot girls have been in the past (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and To Heart come to mind)

I happen to like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. ;)

AstCd2
2004-11-24, 23:55
I happen to like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. ;)

Overdone as 'done too often', not 'done excessively in such and such a work'. YKK really has very little to do with Planetarian other than the setting and the whimsical feeling. That certain To Heart scenario, on the other hand...

Korgath
2004-11-25, 01:21
I thought it was pretty interesting that you mentioned YKK because I forgot that it's also "cyberpunk", in a way. Then again, YKK's post-apocalyptic setting is more of a "everything that sucked about the world died/was destroyed" than a "all current day problems are magnified a 100 times + nifty technological gadgets". Anyway, I really like YKK.

Nandemonai
2004-11-25, 18:51
YKK is weird, in that it's a postapocalyptic setting that somehow doesn't have angst (except for Alpha wondering where her creator is, if that could be called angst) and without bikers! or mutants! Nobody really even seems to care all that much.

AstCd2
2004-11-26, 06:00
Some random 2ch guy took these shots from today's Planetarian event in Tokyo. Enjoy them while they're still up.

Jacket
http://up.isp.2ch.net/up/48d8f1dee6b7.JPG
Jacket 2
http://up.isp.2ch.net/up/efba65f31ac9.JPG

Omake:
This amusing sign:
http://ziro.jp/view_studio/image/planet/planet03.jpg

Website Update: http://kineticnovel.jp/planetarian/index.html
By the looks of the update, Planetarian will have CG after all. The full version will be available for download here from the 29th of November. Of course, you still need to buy the key (no pun intended) from them before you can play it.

The news is also up for the next 3 kinetic novels (none of them will be done by Key, though).

Haeleth
2004-11-29, 03:03
Well, it's now possible to download (but not play) Planetarian.

The DRM appears to be pretty good. All the game data is encrypted, and they're using a customised version of RealLive to run it. I deduce it's only going to be decrypted at runtime - well, it would have to be, since any other approach would be ludicrously easy to crack.

This could be a big problem for any translation efforts, however, as it looks like one would have to crack the game before one could translate it. The only ethical way to distribute a patch would be as one which re-encrypted the game data such that it still required the original authentication to run, which could be rather tricky. And, of course, the original act of cracking the game would unfortunately be a criminal offence in the USA, and soon in the EU and Australia too, IIUC.

The other problem would be explaining to non-Japanese-speakers how to buy the thing... @@

adun50
2004-11-29, 05:49
sounds similar to what Valve have done with Half Life 2. even with purchasing a physical copy. after installing the game files they are still locked, thus requiring online activation to play.

so i guess alot of companies are now looking towards this type of method to stop people from hacking there software so easily.

The other problem would be explaining to non-Japanese-speakers how to buy the thing... @@

you got that right!

AstCd2
2004-11-29, 23:57
Well, it seems like the first reviews are in, and they're overwhelmingly positive.

It's rather unlikely that I'll be buying the game, given that I don't have a credit card, but if Haeleth still intends to get it, I'd be interested in hearing what he thinks.

zalas
2004-11-30, 12:42
Do they allow any type of credit card? Or do you have to be in Japan for it to work?

Haeleth
2004-11-30, 14:16
Good question. I guess I'll find out next Monday when they start taking non-Yahoo-BB-subscribers' orders...

zalas
2004-11-30, 18:29
Hrm, looks like it's only 47MB. Thus, it doesn't look like it'll have voices, since the demo was already around 20MB.

lostotaku
2004-11-30, 19:53
I would say that with all the complications, any hope for non-Japanese speaking people to get to play through and understand this game is pretty much nil. For one thing we can't even (legally) get the game in the first place very easily, and with Key having made things as they are, what once looked like a not-too-difficult translation project with much potential now seems pretty cumbersome, and halfway legal at best. It's a shame, but that's how life is.

AstCd2
2004-12-02, 04:57
http://c67.product.co.jp/kine/kine.html

Yes, now you too can get a physical CD copy of Planetarian. It even comes with some nice bonuses, like a Yumemi sketch by E-ji "Pantsu-less" Koma. All you have to do is actually fly to Comiket 67 in Tokyo and buy a copy. Alternatively, you can pay an absurd amount for them through an auction when they come onto the secondary market.

Unfortunately, it seems like you'll still need to do the whole DRM thing. Bummer.

lostotaku
2004-12-05, 14:53
Unfortunately, it seems like you'll still need to do the whole DRM thing. Bummer.

Argh! Well, I mean, having the physical copy out there makes things look marginally better but... well, maybe someone will write a script... or at least make a better version of Oh! Text Hooker...

Haeleth
2004-12-05, 15:40
Just bought and unlocked my copy of the full game, so I can provide some answers at last.

(1) Registration is painless. The address fields are set up for Japanese addresses, but they aren't checking them for validity - the postcode field doesn't have to be a valid Japanese postcode, for example. Western credit cards are accepted without question. It should be feasible to write registration instructions for those who can't read Japanese, though - given (4) below - there probably wouldn't be much point.

(2) Play is also painless. It appears not to have to connect to the server every time you run it, thank God.

(3) There are no voices after the first few lines. The extra voice commands in the demo were a red herring. They may perhaps have been planning to make it fully voiced at one point, but it certainly isn't now.

(4) Hacking this will be a nightmare. As expected, the decryption is done 100% on the fly. I tried injecting unencrypted code using a simple technique I thought they might not have remembered to block, and the game froze, so no joy there.

Er, the quality of the actual novel? No idea. I haven't started reading it yet. ^^;

Haeleth
2004-12-06, 15:00
I've put the game into debug mode and done some more experimentation. I can now inject code quite happily; I've even got it displaying English text. The problem now is that even though "Kinetic.exe" claims to be RealLive 1.2.6.4 (exactly the same interpreter as the demo uses), and it seems to be generally compatible, a handful of extremely fundamental commands - things like "pause" and "goto" - are not recognised. Weird.

Of course, all this is pretty academic for now. While it implies that an ethical translation patch (one which can be used with a legal uncracked copy of the game) might be possible, it doesn't solve the problem of getting at the DRM'd data in the first place...

Korgath
2004-12-06, 15:23
I've been playing Planetarian for today, and it's looking pretty good so far. Well, I guess it's too early for me to say that (I think I reached about 50%) but I like the humor. The dialogue is not the easiest I've come across though, especially when compared to their previous titles; lots of sci-fi terminology (much like in the demo). I have to admit that the whole cyberpunk maid thing isn't as annoying as I usually find it to be so far. So far so good, I guess.

roxfan
2004-12-07, 12:43
Of course, all this is pretty academic for now. While it implies that an ethical translation patch (one which can be used with a legal uncracked copy of the game) might be possible, it doesn't solve the problem of getting at the DRM'd data in the first place...
You mean the original script? I'm pretty sure you can hook some calls and dump the bytecode right after it's decrypted. If it runs, it has to be stored somewhere :)

Korgath
2004-12-07, 15:14
I just finished the game... now, I'm not going to spoil anything or make a big review (since I'm sure Haeleth will), but I can say that it was far better than I expected. I highly recommend this game to any Key fan (who understands Japanese, for now). Incredible, that's all I can say.

lostotaku
2004-12-08, 14:41
It's hackable, hooray! Well, I guess that means I'm all smiles.

Haeleth
2004-12-08, 15:21
I'm not going to spoil anything or make a big review (since I'm sure Haeleth will)
Hey, if you have things to say, go ahead and say them! (A new thread would be a good idea, though.) At my current level of business it's unlikely I'll be finishing reading it myself for a week or so at best. :(

Korgath
2004-12-09, 01:02
EDIT: Oops, read over your line about creating a new topic. Since I agree that that's probably better, I'll just do that.

Haeleth
2004-12-11, 14:37
You mean the original script? I'm pretty sure you can hook some calls and dump the bytecode right after it's decrypted.
Five seconds in WinDbg and it's confirmed - the decrypted bytecode is stored verbatim and is trivially accessible. It has a number of weird features (arbitrarily reassigned opcodes, apparently malformed debug information), but after a couple hours' more hacking I now have my hands on what appears to be a usable script for the complete game.

It's only 68,700 characters (about 10% the length of Kanon). In other words, the demo is fully 25% of the game, and, assuming I can get this text reinserted successfully, a translation would not be particularly onerous in purely textual terms.

This picture probably doesn't look much more impressive than the previous one, but it does therefore represent a major step forward in terms of approaching a translation of the full game:
http://haeleth.net/img/planetarian2.jpg

On a different and only-just-on-topic note, the trial version of the second Kinetic Novel (Giant Panda's "Maiden Halo") is available. It doesn't look as interesting as Planetarian, but that might just be my Key-fanboy prejudices showing. ;)

K
2004-12-12, 19:03
Three questions, two of which assume the first.

Is Planetarian an 18+ game?

If so, doesn't this make the H-material unavoidable (as opposed to how you can get away from it in most Key games), being totally linear?

And is it as lame as in previous Key games?

Stranger
2004-12-12, 20:57
Planetarian is an All Ages story, so it is alright :)

AzureLight
2004-12-14, 16:11
So can we assume that Key will completely be a visual novel company, seeming that the latest two releases are both all-ages?

From what I gathered, they inserted the H scenes to get the in the PC gaming market in the past, but that wouldn't have been necessary now.

Haeleth
2004-12-14, 16:21
Except, of course, for that passing comment Maeda made a while back that they might be releasing more adult titles in the future. And of course the Kanon rerelease was an adult version...

In the case of Planetarian, I think it's more that VisualArt's are going for the mass market. I believe all the Kinetic Novels will be all-age only, even the ones by makers who, er, haven't been taking an all-age path recently. ^^

Haeleth
2004-12-16, 02:39
I see that due to some unspecified "illegal activity on the networks", they've suspended sales of kinetic novels while they "improve the security". Hmm.

K
2004-12-16, 14:05
Huh. I hope that doesn't make it harder for Americans to get the game.

Legally, I mean ^_^

lostotaku
2004-12-17, 11:00
It probably will, but... what if it makes it harder to hack? That could be disastrous... Surely Key knew that Planetarian was going to be how to say... spread around a little... there's not really a good way to avoid it (besides releasing a worthless game).